Marius Žaliūkas R.I.P.

Notorious BIG

I was speaking to an ex player yesterday about this, and I said to him it has to be with fans in. They are also looking to get some kind of plaque put near the tunnel area.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

39 minutes ago, hibshater said:

I was speaking to an ex player yesterday about this, and I said to him it has to be with fans in. They are also looking to get some kind of plaque put near the tunnel area.

That’s good a plaque  would be a nice touch.

Edited by One five

MND/ALS day is on June 21st. Would be great to organise something on that day, although not an ideal date for a friendly between 2 first teams. 

Are there still lounges available in the main stand? Name one after Zaliukas and regularly make donations to MND charities on its proceeds. Even inviting patrons from the charity or people suffering from MND to be guests of honour at Tynecastle.

As bad as it was losing Zal to this horrible condition, lets not forget David Hagen who passed away barely 4 months ago with a long battle of the same illness.

Hagen and Zal both played for Rangers, who also mourned the death of Fernando Ricksen last year. Even a benefit match between us both would be great.

I am still suffering from this sad news.  It is still very raw.  2012 was only yesterday in my head with big Zal raising the cup aloft.

I doubt I will get peace until I am able to visit Lithuania.

Diadora Van Basten

I saw on Soccer Am that they had a picture of Zal lifting the cup at the final credits.

Also I just donated to the Hearts memorabilia just giving page and the total has just passed £5,000.

I've just seen the Miko interview on Edinburgh live such a shame that one of his best mates wasn't in contact in over 7 months. I think Zal must of blocked everything out and wanted to spend his last months and days with his loved ones. Still gutted with this .

I was thinking back when Hearts had legend photos in each stand in the inside walls once the crowds are back and full houses return there should be a massive picture of our Legends a huge one of Zal would be fitting for the captain. 

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I've just seen the Miko interview on Edinburgh live such a shame that one of his best mates wasn't in contact in over 7 months. I think Zal must of blocked everything out and wanted to spend his last months and days with his loved ones. Still gutted with this .

I was thinking back when Hearts had legend photos in each stand in the inside walls once the crowds are back and full houses return there should be a massive picture of our Legends a huge one of Zal would be fitting for the captain. 

One of the worst things about the coverage of us and our players during the Romanov years was how the Lithuanian players in particular were dismissed as the "Liths" - that "faceless cast of thousands" bit in the Record being the low point. There was zero effort I remember to profile these players to get to know the people behind the footballers in the press the way other players, especially foreign players, get profiled.

The coverage was incredibly xenophobic. It's clear we had some great characters and interesting people in the squad but you wouldn't know it if you read the coverage at the time. Where are Aidan Smith's in-depth interviews like the one he did with Gogic the other day for example? Maybe they happened but I just remember the Lithuanian players all being lumped into one group and mostly dismissed.

Reading that interview reminds you that Miko was an interesting character, he came over to a new country as a pretty young player and was vilified in the media.

Edited by ToqueJambo

33 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/saulius-mikoliunas-how-marius-zaliukas-19250224

I don't visit these shores very often these days but I just wanted to come on to pass my huge thanks for the wonderful and generous donation from Jambos Kickback to the JustGiving page I set up in Marius Zaliukas' memory to donate to MND Scotland. The total raised is now £6,226 (somewhat fittingly) which is a huge amount and much more than I ever thought would be raised when the possibility occurred to me. 

If you would like to donate and haven't yet done so, the page is at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/heartsmemorabilia?experiments=b2c_fundraising_page_donation_prompts%2Cb2c_trending_donations_on_fundraising_page%2Cb2c_009_fundraising_make_donate_more_prominent%2Cb2c_024_donate_button_text&successType=StickyDonateButtonClick&fbclid=IwAR0cpxdin7Atrmz18Iq-U1J-R1Lh1m3-IYdRys7fIgJLLfjdeWYxkPKMlXM

Thanks again for the generosity of everyone on here.

GC 

just remembered that in our 2012 cup run, not only did he score the winner in the replay at St Johnstone putting in a mom performance in the process, he also took the shot that led to us getting the penalty against Celtic in the semi. The pictures of him showing the tears and emotions as he went up to collect the cup were very moving. RIP Captain...... you are a legend who will never be forgotten

19 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

One of the worst things about the coverage of us and our players during the Romanov years was how the Lithuanian players in particular were dismissed as the "Liths" - that "faceless cast of thousands" bit in the Record being the low point. There was zero effort I remember to profile these players to get to know the people behind the footballers in the press the way other players, especially foreign players, get profiled.

The coverage was incredibly xenophobic. It's clear we had some great characters and interesting people in the squad but you wouldn't know it if you read the coverage at the time. Where are Aidan Smith's in-depth interviews like the one he did with Gogic the other day for example? Maybe they happened but I just remember the Lithuanian players all being lumped into one group and mostly dismissed.

Reading that interview reminds you that Miko was an interesting character, he came over to a new country as a pretty young player and was vilified in the media.

Great post mate. Was just thinking the same about the treatment of our Lithuanian guys from the media. 

22 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good post mate. Miko was a character who was tarred with the 'Vlad's love child' nonsense but I really took to him when after the dive against Scotland he got crucified by the SMSM (despite O'Cokehead doing the same thing later in the game). Then when he returned to Tynecastle for the first time after the media had unsuccessfully tried to hound him out the club/country, he wore the brightest yellow sweatshirt and took his seat in the stand. And then the ultimate GTRFUY to the tabloid scum, who were all straining their necks to see him in the old stand, we belted out a loud rendition of Miiiiiiko, Miiiiiko, Miiiiiiko. 

The Treasurer
5 minutes ago, Auldreekie1874 said:

Nice touch by Sirgedas who opened the scoring for Lithuania tonight...

0DD0AE62-1AA5-43E5-8E60-A0FBEC241764.jpeg

Players all warmed up in the same shirt 

Glamorgan Jambo

Great to see that gesture. Also a very decent game with good football from both sides. Novikovas has made a decent career for himself.

The Treasurer
49 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would like to see us doing similar at the cup final

There was a mention of some sort of gesture at the final 

Tiny Changes Shirt with Zaliukas on the back should be our cup final warm up attire.

As someone said earlier, with Zal and Hagen being ex Hearts and Rangers and of course Ricksen (who was a VIP guest at Hearts not too long before his passing) the most logical solution is to have some sort of Hearts v Rangers charity match for MND at Tynecastle or Ibrox.

14 hours ago, Homme said:

Tiny Changes Shirt with Zaliukas on the back should be our cup final warm up attire.

As someone said earlier, with Zal and Hagen being ex Hearts and Rangers and of course Ricksen (who was a VIP guest at Hearts not too long before his passing) the most logical solution is to have some sort of Hearts v Rangers charity match for MND at Tynecastle or Ibrox.

With there being a lot of attention on dementia I think it is helpful to draw attention to MND which has also a link to football. 

18 hours ago, Homme said:

Agree. As its charity not rivalry, the common sense thing to do would be to have the game at Ibrox, but could even do a preseason home and away in the summer if Covid is under control. 

Gate receipts from Ibrox going to MND Scotland could be bloody huge for them. 

• 1 month later...
Gorgie Boot boy
On 01/11/2020 at 15:00, DH1986 said:

Tragic. I hope the club do him proud and organise a fitting tribute.

I’m certain they will.

Gorgie Boot boy
6 minutes ago, assessor said:

More tears here, RIP

My heart was broken at the time of making the video.

On 31/10/2020 at 22:20, Gimme an H... said:

Retire the number 26 jersey in his honour? 

Niemi also worse that number the whole time he was here. 

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Did we ever do anything for his wife and young child?

What do you mean ever.

Have we is a better way to ask.

Francis Albert
Just now, Gorgie Boot boy said:

What do you mean ever.

Have we is a better way to ask.

I didn't mean anything. Did we having discussed it do anything? Is that better? Jeez.

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, Francis Albert said:

I didn't mean anything. Did we having discussed it do anything? Is that better? Jeez.

The lad only passed away end of October mate, not your fault i am snappy though..

My Mother sent flowers from our family and has offered help if it is needed.

I am not privy to her relationship with the Zaliukas family,

My Mother is a member here and donates for us.

Sorry if i made you feel bad mate.

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

The lad only passed away end of October mate, not your fault i am snappy though..

My Mother sent flowers from our family and has offered help if it is needed.

I am not privy to her relationship with the Zaliukas family,

My Mother is a member here and donates for us.

Sorry if i made you feel bad mate.

Good for your mother. You didn't make feel bad. It was just an innocent question following discussion following his tragic death.

Gorgie Boot boy
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Good for your mother. You didn't make feel bad. It was just an innocent question following discussion following his tragic death.

Tragic.

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Did we ever do anything for his wife and young child?

There was a fund.  JKB contributed 510 pounds to it.  I have no further details.

• 1 month later...
On 04/11/2020 at 18:05, Rudy T said:

Went down to the old lady today to pay my respects to the Captain. Emotional wee moment to myself. RIP big man taken too soon.

Can I make a suggestion, on the day of his funeral, the mods change everyone's JKB avatars (is that what it's called?) to Marius holding the trophy? Or we could all change our own.. just another wee tribute.

My twitter avatar has Zal with the cup :)