• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Hopefully we (the club) have been in touch with a Fedovatos/Jankauskas/Miko/etc to represent the club at his funeral later this week. 

I believe none of the mentioned have any mention of Zal,s passing on their social media pages but Devidas Cesnauskas has a post on his. As you say lm sure the club will be on the case. 

I’ve posted this before, but it’s a lovely memory of Big Zal that I have. When Zaliukas was at ... another Scottish club, my son was playing an away game for Hearts U12s. Zal had just finished training and seeing a team in maroon he strolled over to watch some of the game. He was still in full training gear of that other team, but just cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled out “Come on the Hearts!” before singing the first line of the Hearts song to himself as he headed inside for his shower.

Guess The Crowd
7 minutes ago, Gilamas said:

I’ve posted this before, but it’s a lovely memory of Big Zal that I have. When Zaliukas was at ... another Scottish club, my son was playing an away game for Hearts U12s. Zal had just finished training and seeing a team in maroon he strolled over to watch some of the game. He was still in full training gear of that other team, but just cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled out “Come on the Hearts!” before singing the first line of the Hearts song to himself as he headed inside for his shower.

😃😃😃

loveofthegame
6 minutes ago, Gilamas said:

Great story mate. What a legend he is and always will be. I hope that it will give his family a tremendous sense of pride to know how highly thought of he is at Tynecastle, possibly not now due to the pain they are undoubtedly in, but going forward. Get them invited to a game when the world returns to some form of normality and let’s give him a proper send off. 

1 hour ago, Skippy Doodle said:

I've never seen that clip before, presumably because I was at the game, but that really sums him up. That's really got to me that has. 

Sydney Devine

After the away game at Liverpool in 2012, me and my two boys were in the same hotel as the team.  In the morning as we headed down in the lift, Zal and Allan Carswell (GK coach) got in.  Zal was a big old unit but he was holding onto Allan and letting out shrieking noises!  He was really scared of lifts!!!!  My young boys found this hilarious!  When we reached the ground floor and got out Zal was brilliant with the boys pretending to get them into a headlock and threatening them not to tell anyone about him being scared.  

58 minutes ago, Gilamas said:

I love this. Zaliukas was 100% one of us. I’m sure that will be a fantastic memory for all the young laddies there! He seemed an amazing character with so much personality!! 

It’s upsetting to think he was fighting MND all this time and no one knew. 

Im absolutely gutted by this. Feel absolutely sick to my stomach that we’ve lost the big man. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

I just can't believe this dreadful news, much too young so sad 

I would like to see the whole team with Zaliukas on back of their warm up tops on Cup Final day 

His place in history of the club will always be associated with lifting the trophy in 2012 

Thoughts go out to his family 

RIP Marius 

Forever in our Hearts 

Apologies if already posted but can I suggest we all donate for a massive behind the goal flag of the big man ? Still in tears about him but that for me would be a fitting tribute 

Edited by 1971fozzy

He was an absolutely solid defender and after a shaky start he really held the back line together and was definitely one of the first names down on the teamsheet on a regular basis. Didn't quite realise that he had so many appearances for us. I did always dread it when he started one of his occasional mazy runs forward though!! 

I found a picture of me holding  the Scottish Cup with him in the Gorgie Suite. I did the "1" with my free hand and he did the "5". I wanted to do the 5 but he refused to let me as he probably didn't want to be associated with Hibs (we were both laughing about it) 😂. What a great guy and I am gutted he has left us. RiP you legend.

12 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

That's me gone again! Just love big Zal. Still canny get my head round what has happened. 

So Make Some Noise..

I'm not in favour of retiring a number a current player occupies or the wee bit out there shouts for a statue. He'll no doubt have a very fitting memorial in the memorial garden and I'd happily contribute to the flag suggestions. Perhaps this could live permanently in one of the corners, where the old Strongbow signage used to sit? I'm sure Celtic had a number 9 etched on their shorts when they played us in the final last year and we should definitely be planning something similar. I like the idea of all the players having his name above their numbers as an example.

RIP big man. You defied the odds, made it through the boo boys, casual racism from the scottish football community and became a Scottish cup winning captain in our biggest game in history.

6 minutes ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

I'm not in favour of retiring a number a current player occupies or the wee bit out there shouts for a statue. He'll no doubt have a very fitting memorial in the memorial garden and I'd happily contribute to the flag suggestions. Perhaps this could live permanently in one of the corners, where the old Strongbow signage used to sit? I'm sure Celtic had a number 9 etched on their shorts when they played us in the final last year and we should definitely be planning something similar. I like the idea of all the players having his name above their numbers as an example.

RIP big man. You defied the odds, made it through the boo boys, casual racism from the scottish football community and became a Scottish cup winning captain in our biggest game in history.

26 on shorts would be a great tribute.

15 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Forgive me if it’s already been covered, I believe his funeral has now been confirmed, would it be possible to send a wreath from Kickback? Would be delighted to contribute. 

Count me in, if someone could could maybe set up with a link....I'm no very techy otherwise I would give it a go.

I was upset on Saturday when I heard that Sir Sean Connery had passed but this one has hit me hard, even after the result on Saturday evening.

Not just as Marius is a Cup Winning Captain of our club, one of only 8 men to hold that title in our history, but the fact that he was only 36 and had recently had a new baby arrive.

36.  That's only 11 years younger than me.  My 2nd kid was born when I was 36 and I cannot imagine her growing up without me.

It's been hard to put into words what I'm feeling as I never actually met Marius but the closest I can come is tragic.  Sir Sean has a long and full life.  He got to enjoy everything that this world can offer but this young man has had this snatched away in the most horrific way by a disease that kills your body slowly while leaving every part of your mind active and able to see how your demise is affecting your loved ones around you.

I think it would be 100% right if funds were diverted from FoH to pay for any funeral expenses so as to at least remove this financial burden from his very young family and I would even pay money into a separate fund to help with this if it was set up.

Christ, my tears have started again but I'm really struggling to gain any perspective from this event.

SectionDJambo
23 minutes ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

You have this bang on correct.

Some of the xenophobic nonsense he had to put up with from the Scottish sports media, some of whom never tired of trying to ridicule him, should be an embarrassment to them. Then there was that shameful episode, perpetrated by Brines and the SFA, who were happy to see a gross miscarriage of justice and fairness go against him by blatantly lying about that incident with Lee Miller at Aberdeen.

Jim Jefferies and Paulo Sergio got the best out of him and helped him become a Hearts cup winning captain. He had the courage and conviction to overcome all the setbacks that he endured when he arrived.

He will be remembered very fondly by Hearts fans. It is really tragic that him and Stefano have been taken so young.

And he’s not praying!

Once the rain stops I’m going to head into Tynecastle and lay some flowers.

Such an awful, cruel illness and my thoughts since Saturday have firmly been with his wife and baby.

57 minutes ago, Australis said:

Would love Kickback to send a contribution to help his wife and young family out.

Same here. I'm defo "in" for anything.

On top of the grief, the family could well be having a tough time financially, both  now and in the future.

Still feel numb.

16 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Forgive me if it’s already been covered, I believe his funeral has now been confirmed, would it be possible to send a wreath from Kickback? Would be delighted to contribute. 

I echo this idea.

Alex MacDonald

Desperately tragic news, what a shock, heart goes out to his family and friends. I remember him as a very solid defender and genuine goal threat, and of course helping to give us all our greatest ever day as Hearts supporters. He did a lot to help the club out during some dark times, and remember him bidding £1000+  for shirts and other items during one of the FOH auction nights. He will of course be remembered in the memorial garden, but I feel a life size image of him holding the cup aloft would be fitting on the concourse of the main stand. I'd be happy to up my monthly FOH contribution to go towards any memorial. Rest in peace Marius.

The news that he has been battling Motor Neurone disease for 4 or 5 years makes this just so heart breaking! Such a horrible disease and he was so young. 💔

2 hours ago, Australis said:

Would love Kickback to send a contribution to help his wife and young family out.

I would hope that his family are comfortable financially - maybe Hearts should have a charity match (when fans are allowed back) playing for the ‘Marius Zaliukas Memorial trophy’ with proceeds going to the Motor Neurone Disease research fund?

Woke up in the night with a fundraising idea to support MND association and/or Zal’s family. 

According to google maps, it’s 3.6 miles from Tynie to ER.  Given the significance of the number 5 to our memory of Zal’s finest moment,  walking from Tynie to ER and back 5 times would be a total of 36 miles, which just happens to be the age he was when we lost him.

I’d be well up for doing something like this, and despite the obvious risks I think a lot of decent Hibs supporters I know would feel the same and want to help out.  

Ps - when it’s safe to do so of course

Edited by gashauskis9

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I would hope that his family are comfortable financially - maybe Hearts should have a charity match (when fans are allowed back) playing for the ‘Marius Zaliukas Memorial trophy’ with proceeds going to the Motor Neurone Disease research fund?

It’s a great idea, it could be some sort of legends match with 2006 v 2012 and a sprinkling of current players. 

Brick Tamland
50 minutes ago, Texia said:

That is an outstanding tribute from our great club to a legend of a captain. 
To Hearts, thank you for such a fitting tribute. 
To Big Zal, thanks for lifting the cup, you gave me one the best and most memorable days of my life. 

We sent some flowers to add to the tribute outside the stadium on behalf of the members and admin team of JKB. We thought it might be appropriate to add some Lithuanian colours in there. Hopefully he’d approve. 

5F36A97B-F2C7-403E-8FB6-D4B673DA3468.jpeg

Photos courtesy of @Thommo_Lee on Twitter. 

AF6BD8FC-B394-4218-8E00-3F411B0A2374.jpeg

Around 5.00am I watched him receive the Scottish Cup on TV with tears streaming down my face.  Guess what, they're back.  

So proud of you Marius.  You will never be forgotten.