• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

18 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

It hits hard when you hear about the 1956 team passing away and more recently Salvatori.  I never thought I’d be mourning someone from the 2012 team.  I’m in shock. 

This. Salvatori hit me really hard. But I’m properly struggling with the news about Zaliukas. Heartbreaking.

I’m so pleased about the result tonight, but I’m so gutted to hear this news  I don’t even want to say it takes the shine off The result, because it’s so much more than that. It’s absolutely gutting. 

This has overshadowed today’s result for me, gutted.

Like many have said he took time to settle in at Hearts but by god he did it. 
Took the club to his heart, got the fans passion and took his place in the history of our club. 
Rest easy Skipper, hope you know what you mean to us all.

luckyBatistuta

Heartbreaking news this. He really bought in to what it meant to play for Hearts. Thank you for so many happy memories Zal.

RIP Captain 

💔

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

Retire the number 26 jersey in his honour? 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If Halkett didn't already have it I'd totally be behind this idea.

46 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I had the same thought

Would love to see this happen. 

jamboinglasgow

One thing that this pandemic does is stops a full Tynecastle giving him a minutes applause the next home game. I hate the pandemic for many things but this is just another cruel thing. 

40 minutes ago, meister said:

This has overshadowed today’s result for me, gutted.

Like many have said he took time to settle in at Hearts but by god he did it. 
Took the club to his heart, got the fans passion and took his place in the history of our club. 
Rest easy Skipper, hope you know what you mean to us all.

Amen brother. Bang on

N Lincs Jambo

Found the news out just before H/T today. In all honesty I couldn’t bring myself to post back then as it hadn’t been confirmed. I’m just numb and totally gutted. I was at the 4-0 and the 5-1 which has to have been the high point of Marius’s club career but even though my Jambo genes never left me and I screamed at the box like a bitch the entire second half, I just can’t feel like celebrating tonight. Job done in Captain Zal’s memory and I hope he enjoyed it but 36??? I was 20 when he was born. The world sure is an unfair place. RIP legend Zaliukas.

4 hours ago, R1874 said:

Michael Stewarts tribute was really touching. As was the BBCs send off 

It’s strange to be so affected by passing of someone you don’t know personally but this has really got me. 

An absolute legend. Only Rudi ahead of him both as an overseas player and in my lifetime

Thank you for being a model captain during the financial problems. Thank you for that day in May. The image of Big Zal lifting the cup will live forever. 

Yeah, I know from other interviews he’s done, they didn’t always get on. But I think that was more down to MS being a really serious guy, and Zal being the type of guy to climb into toy cars for photo opportunities.

Despite that, you could tell the tribute was genuine and he was gutted to hear what had happened. 

1 hour ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Cracking win today. But as something of a young man this has me a bit rattled, to be honest. Really tough one to take.

Will always remember the emotion he spilled before lifting the trophy. The commentary regarding whether he had dreamed of lifting the trophy. Truly devastating news

I was trying to find that interview where he was asked that question.

He’d obviously been well prepped & gave loads of standard footballer answers, but when he was asked that before the game, he said yes, and could not hide how much it would mean to him.

Absolutely gutted and still can’t get my head around this. Absolute gentleman and will forever be a legend lifting that cup in 2012.

Tonights win was for you big chap. RIP 🇱🇻♥️

44 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

To think the guy bought his own shirt in an auction to help keep us alive......sleep in peace Captain Fantastic.

Can never be forgotten.  A true gent.  

the news broke at half time today, can you imagine what hampden would have been like with 25k hearts fans after hearing that for the whole of the 2nd half! would have been monstrous. Zal deserves something from the club, and the fans. not a fan of a number being retired, especially 26 as it's not a common one. Zal's name somewhere on every 26 shirt worn though.....

if a fund is set up, I'll be contributing.

and kudos to the hibs.net lot, read their thread and it says a lot about the big man how they have reacted

Bazzas right boot

I went to look over on party planners after the result and tbf they have a thread on Zal, very respectful.

Given the scottish cup connection, I think it would be very appropriate to have a minutes silence or applause before the final.

I have read this site for years, and barely ever posted but feel strongly about this... 

Sometimes we get lost in the moment of how football makes us feel.

I was as ecstatic as any Hearts fan tonight, but an explosive reality of the bigger picture sometimes comes crashing down.  Zal, the first time I saw or remember you, I was incensed with rage at your performance holding midfield; Easter Road... Little did I know you would grow to become a club legend... When 5-1 happened it was such an emotional moment for both you and the fans. I vividly remember watching you lift the trophy with tears in your eyes which related to thousands of fans who lived that moment with you, and  truly encapsulated & embodied the Vladimir Romanov journey in a player, 

It is a truly heart breaking moment in the clubs recent history to lose a player of this magnitude. Thank you so much Zal for everything you gave the club.  The win today against Hibs is the fitting tribute to a club legend. 

Edited by Blair_HMFC

19 minutes ago, Blair_HMFC said:

I have read this site for years, and barely ever posted but feel strongly about this... 

Sometimes we get lost in the moment of how football makes us feel.

I was as ecstatic as any Hearts fan tonight, but an explosive reality of the bigger picture sometimes comes crashing down.  Zal, the first time I saw or remember you, I was incensed with rage at your performance holding midfield; Easter Road... Little did I know you would grow to become a club legend... When 5-1 happened it was such an emotional moment for both you and the fans. I vividly remember watching you lift the trophy with tears in your eyes which related to thousands of fans who lived that moment with you, and  truly encapsulated & embodied the Vladimir Romanov journey in a player, 

It is a truly heart breaking moment in the clubs recent history to lose a player of this magnitude. Thank you so much Zal for everything you gave the club.  The win today against Hibs is the fitting tribute to a club legend. 

Great post and think sums up how we are all feeling. So sad to be taken so young. Rip Zal. 

Halloween is becoming a curse to Hearts legends. 
Stefano Salvatore in 2017 and Big Zal in 2020.

The boys gave you the best tribute possible m.

RIP lads 

Nobody seemed to know Zal was suffering from MND, including a mate of mine who's boss of MND Scotland charity. (Big Hearts presented him with a cheque for £1000 at HT at Tynie a few seasons back). Thanks for the memories, although my most vivid memory is that desperate lunge on Suarez THAT night at Anfield - he so nearly blocked that. 

One of the most colourful crazy madcap captains we,ve ever had & we ❤ him cos he hated hibs just as much as we did & he ruined their Diddy cup party celebrations at Easter rd. 

zalcar.gif

Screenshot_20201101-061429_Facebook.jpg

11 hours ago, R1874 said:

Michael Stewarts tribute was really touching. As was the BBCs send off 

It’s strange to be so affected by passing of someone you don’t know personally but this has really got me. 

An absolute legend. Only Rudi ahead of him both as an overseas player and in my lifetime

Thank you for being a model captain during the financial problems. Thank you for that day in May. The image of Big Zal lifting the cup will live forever. 

Is there a video of that do you know? I'd like to see it.

ZAL you will live on in our thoughts forever. Absolute legend and gentlemen who loved Heart Of Midlothian. Thoughts are with his family at this devastating time for them. 

RIP legend 💔

Special Agent Dale Cooper
34 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Is there a video of that do you know? I'd like to see it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54764579

About halfway down.

I read somewhere on here that a contribution for Big Doddie's MND charity would be a fitting tribute in Marius's honour. I second that proposal.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd like to see his family looked after first

Absolutely!

Ainsley Harriott
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd like to see his family looked after first

I would agree do we know if he had a wife and kids etc? Surely we could set up a go fund me page and have a whip round for those closest to him

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

I would agree do we know if he had a wife and kids etc? Surely we could set up a go fund me page and have a whip round for those closest to him

Wife and a child born early this year I read 

A_A wehatethehibs

Such contrasting emotions today. I am devastated and delighted. Such a loss to the club. I hope we can lift the cup and take it to Lithuania for him, the only fitting tribute is to bring the cup home to Tynecastle.  

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Leveins Battalion

Words cannot describe how devastated I am over this.

Marius is the same age as myself,I met him on a few occasions at events when we were struggling just to stay alive as a club.A top player and a top man.

2020 has been the year from hell,and our club has been disproportionately battered.

Win this cup for Zal.

RIP big man.😥🇱🇻

I don't know how many times I visited easter road before I finally saw us win there but it was plenty, and Zal was the man who got the goal. 

Rest easy big guy! 

20th December has to be Big Zal day.  Would love it if the club could release a 2012 replica kit with his name and number on the back and give the proceeds to the MND association.  We were happy to flog Elvis wigs in 2006, so hopefully we can do this.  Failing that, I’ll be getting Zaliukas 26 on the back of one of my other strips ahead of the final.

This has knocked me for six. Struggling to concentrate on anything else.  I adored the guy, he just summed up everything great about the club on and off the pitch.  

3 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

20th December has to be Big Zal day.  Would love it if the club could release a 2012 replica kit with his name and number on the back and give the proceeds to the MND association.  We were happy to flog Elvis wigs in 2006, so hopefully we can do this.  Failing that, I’ll be getting Zaliukas 26 on the back of one of my other strips ahead of the final.

This has knocked me for six. Struggling to concentrate on anything else.  I adored the guy, he just summed up everything great about the club on and off the pitch.  

Think we need to make sure we look after his family first. Players should all be wearing Zaliukas 26 strips for the warm-up at the final. They should be worn again when we go up to receive the trophy. They could then be auctioned. 

Used to see Zal a lot standing on his balcony at Meggetland having a cheeky wee fag! Always said hello - couldn’t meet a more genuine and lovely bloke!

RIP Zal you did us proud!

FWIW donations to charities aside - I’d love to see a plaque of the man lifting the Scottish Cup erected somewhere at Tynecastle.

AE1B5C54-6D50-47F0-BFFA-2722AF21CD94.jpeg

I still can’t get my head round this news?

Its a horrible surreal feeling.

RIP big Zal. You were an inspirational man who was and continue to be adored by the whole Hearts support.