Euthanasia to become law

EH11_2NL

SLF, great band by the way. The article was informative and well written however I'm critical to towards legalizing this as some might use it with wrong intentions as well. I didn't know that euthanasia was legal in Canada and the Netherlands only thought the Swiss were the only one's allowing it.  

Choosing to end your own life should be legal IMHO.

We have folk living out their last days in incredible pain or folk who perhaps have severe mobility issues that they don't want to persevere with. Its your life and if you're of sound mind then I dont understand why you can't make that choice.

Yet the New Zealanders voted against legalising weed in the same referendum.

Some progress I suppose legalising assisted dying, though those who choose that route are denied the opportunity to go out on a high.

A Boy Named Crow

Is it just me,  or does the thread title read like it's to be compulsory??? 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

9 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

:) No, it's not just you. That's how I read it first too.

AlphonseCapone

It disappoints me we have refused to do the same. The suffering some people have unnecessarily gone through is horrible. 

A Boy Named Crow
9 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It disappoints me we have refused to do the same. The suffering some people have unnecessarily gone through is horrible. 

I fully understand the desire of a person in chronic,  indescribable pain to want to end it all.

What makes me uncomfortable is the idea that someone might choose euthanasia because they "don't want to be a burden". I'd hate to have a system where people felt pressured to end their lives. It's tricky. 

AlphonseCapone
25 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I fully understand the desire of a person in chronic,  indescribable pain to want to end it all.

What makes me uncomfortable is the idea that someone might choose euthanasia because they "don't want to be a burden". I'd hate to have a system where people felt pressured to end their lives. It's tricky. 

Aye it's certainly a challenging policy but I think there are checks and balances that can be built in. I find it difficult accepting how some humans have to suffer when we put down animals to avoid them going through the same. 

I think though the right to die is a bit different, that was the choice my wife made when offered surgery that could be fatal, and radiation and chemo that could be very difficult for someone our age. She mad her decision I agreed with her, it seemed correct, but when the surgeon responds with, "then you have two months, but most probably less, It is difficult. If I am in the position I think I would now being alone would tell them I am ready to go anytime. My wifes last three weeks were heavily medicated with Morphine death although sad for me was probably a blessing for her.

It's mental that it isn't legal here.

If you're terminally I'll and dying though, nurses will smash a syringe driver into you packed full of morphine to slowly stop your heart rate and breathing until you die. The line in the sand between that and euthanasia is very thin. 

Anyone should have the right to take their own lives.

Being euthanised is a different matter.

Kill yourself - sure

Be provided with the means to do so by the state? sure

be killed by me?

no thanks

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If you're terminally I'll and dying though, nurses will smash a syringe driver into you packed full of morphine to slowly stop your heart rate and breathing until you die. The line in the sand between that and euthanasia is very thin. 

I have seen this happen to both my nana and grandad. Horrific for the family to watch someone slowly die in such a way when a more humane and quicker way is available. 

As you say the line is incredibly thin. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I have never intentionally killed anyone.

Have terminally ill patients died as a result of drugs in a syringe driver that is titrated up to alleviate suffering ?

Probably

Is it done to kill them?

No

a line I don’t want to cross, thanks

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Anyone should have the right to take their own lives.

Being euthanised is a different matter.

Kill yourself - sure

Be provided with the means to do so by the state? sure

be killed by me?

no thanks

Nobody would force you to do it. I am sure specifically trained people and hospitals/wards would be opened specifically for this to happen.  

Another point to consider is being of sound mind to make the decision at the time and not it being a wish made earlier.

Great documentary years back Between Life and Death which I think looked at death and how medical science is so advanced these days that many people are being saved from diseases, conditions and injuries that should kill you.

Followed one man who had been apparently left brain dead from a motorcycle accident i think. A friend of his had been injured the same way years back and he had always said to his family that he wouldn't want to live like that and be a burden and that he would want life support turned off if it happened to him.

Life dealt him a crap hand and it did. They came really close to turning off life support when they noticed eye movements. Further time meant they could get him to communicate yes and no with left and right eye movements where he communicated he didn't want his life support turned off.

Saying it when you're healthy is one thing but I guess until you are in that situation you probably truly don't know yourself what your answer would be.

Edit : still on iplayer so worth a watch i say.

Edited by Der Kaiser

4 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

SLF, great band by the way. The article was informative and well written however I'm critical to towards legalizing this as some might use it with wrong intentions as well. I didn't know that euthanasia was legal in Canada and the Netherlands only thought the Swiss were the only one's allowing it.  

Medical Assistance In Dying (MAID) is legal in Canada and has been for several years.  The law has widespread support in Canada, and is generally only opposed by people who wish to impose their own religious beliefs on others.  Thousands of people have used the procedure.

There are strict controls over who is eligible; one has to be terminally ill, for example. In fact, there is a bill before parliament right now which will make it easier for terminally ill people to be granted their final wish, that of dying with dignity.

Due to the controls, it is impossible for the procedure to be abused with some poor individual being coerced into the procedure by an unscrupulous relative.  Right up until the last minute, patients have the option of backing out, no questions asked.

The procedure is painless and quick and peaceful and allows terminally ill people to die with dignity at a time and place of their choosing.

If people want to die, don't wait til someone else has to do it for you. Do it while you're still able. No, well, No back. 

Edited by ri Alban

12 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I believe it would have to be signed off by 2 doctors based upon medical evidence alone.

12 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye it's certainly a challenging policy but I think there are checks and balances that can be built in. I find it difficult accepting how some humans have to suffer when we put down animals to avoid them going through the same. 

Exactly, if we treated a dog how we treat some people we'd be charged with cruelty.

AlphonseCapone
13 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

I have never intentionally killed anyone.

Have terminally ill patients died as a result of drugs in a syringe driver that is titrated up to alleviate suffering ?

Probably

Is it done to kill them?

No

a line I don’t want to cross, thanks

No one would make you. I don't believe anyone is legally forced to carry it out in places where it is legal. If it's a choice for the patient then medical professionals should absolutely have a choice about their participation.

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

No one would make you. I don't believe anyone is legally forced to carry it out in places where it is legal. If it's a choice for the patient then medical professionals should absolutely have a choice about their participation.

Why would that be. I don't think in other fields say religion can they opt out of things they don't morally agree with. Not arguing with euthanasia as much, but human nature makes me fear where this is going. 

Watched this last night. Even though he started to 'communicate' using his eyes, still prefer to be switched off. Very hard to watch some of it. 

16 hours ago, Cruyff said:

They can also stop giving people in those situations any water and nourishment to quicken their death. It used to be called the Liverpool Care Pathway.  If there even is a line, it's certainly a very fine one.  That's what happened to my dad and it's horrible thinking about what he might have been going through towards the end.

Hope this is the case here too, before I ever need it! Crazy that we allow religious people to prevent it in a society where religion no longer holds sway. 

Edited by Spellczech

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why would that be. I don't think in other fields say religion can they opt out of things they don't morally agree with. Not arguing with euthanasia as much, but human nature makes me fear where this is going. 

I think Ri some may opt out of abortion.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think Ri some may opt out of abortion.

I was thinking doctors. But are religious figures afforded to refuse gay marriage etc... I don't think they are, and rightly so. 

I've told the wife and she's told me not to allow me to live if I am badly disabled in a fall from a roof or a car accident. But if I have cancer(Finally have my hospital appointment with urologist nurse in December) or get MND or early Alzheimer's i'll do it myself. But I know that's easier said than done. I just wouldn't want my death on anyone else's conscience, bud. 

It's a really difficult subject and I'm glad I don't ha e to make these decisions. 

Edited by ri Alban

42 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

They can also stop giving people in those situations any water and nourishment to quicken their death. It used to be called the Liverpool Care Pathway.  If there even is a line, it's certainly a very fine one.  That's what happened to my dad and it's horrible thinking about what he might have been going through towards the end.

My wife was on heavy Morphine, by the time of her death I don't think there was an ounce of fat on her flesh she was skin and bone. It was supposed to be restful but she seemed to be having terrible dreams, she became obsessed about our daughters fatal accident and was calling for our son who she believed was talking to his deceased sister at the accident scene not only was it difficult for her but it was absolute torture for me to watch the love of your life go through such what looked like not physical but mental agony.  I have never experienced anything like the last three months, I chose hospice care as I thought it would be better, but I guess a brain tumour just doesn't allow any peace for patient or husband.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was thinking doctors. But are religious figures afforded to refuse gay marriage etc... I don't think they are, and rightly so. 

I was thinking doctors also, 

On 31/10/2020 at 09:28, A Boy Named Crow said:

I live there and it is compulsory.  Doesn't come into effect for a year but after that over 70s (that's me), can expect a letter in the post.

That's why I'm really hoping we win the Cup next month.

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I live there and it is compulsory.  Doesn't come into effect for a year but after that over 70s (that's me), can expect a letter in the post.

maxresdefault.jpg

A Boy Named Crow
55 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

In these uncertain times,  they're probably just minimising the impact of an aging population.

Wouldn't have expected that from a lefty like Jacinda though.. ScoMo will be all over that this side of the ditch.

53 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

In these uncertain times,  they're probably just minimising the impact of an aging population.

Wouldn't have expected that from a lefty like Jacinda though.. ScoMo will be all over that this side of the ditch.

Everybody absolutely loves her over here except me and about 30 others.  She's brilliant at empathy but nothing else.  This euthanasia business had nothing to do with her.  It was a referendum decision.  If it had required her to do anything she would have cocked it up.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Everybody absolutely loves her over here except me and about 30 others.  She's brilliant at empathy but nothing else.  This euthanasia business had nothing to do with her.  It was a referendum decision.  If it had required her to do anything she would have cocked it up.

My Kiwi mate is much the same as you when it comes to JA. He's currently living through the horrors of Trump's America though, if Tuesday goes badly I reckon he'll end up in Australia. He definitely doesn't fancy NZ these days... which is funny,  because pretty much everyone else around the world loves her!

41 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

My Kiwi mate is much the same as you when it comes to JA. He's currently living through the horrors of Trump's America though, if Tuesday goes badly I reckon he'll end up in Australia. He definitely doesn't fancy NZ these days... which is funny,  because pretty much everyone else around the world loves her!

You have to give her credit.  She takes to social media like a duck to water.  Her opponents barely know what it is.  Virtually none of her party's promises from the previous election came to fruition but she had massive public support for her handling of 3 tragedies.

Don't base your opinion of JA on JKB opinions. Go with the fact she won the election with a majority. Has that ever be done before? 

Edited by ri Alban

A Boy Named Crow
41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't base your opinion of JA on JKB opinions. Go with the fact she won the election with a majority. Has that ever be done before? 

Personally, I don't really have an opinion on her either way. It's just interesting that her appeal isn't as universal as it seems from the outside. Doug's comments are basically identical to how my kiwi mate talks about her. 

On 30/10/2020 at 19:47, Der Kaiser said:

Choosing to end your own life should be legal IMHO.

We have folk living out their last days in incredible pain or folk who perhaps have severe mobility issues that they don't want to persevere with. Its your life and if you're of sound mind then I dont understand why you can't make that choice.

Definitely. Find it mad that in this country, you can decide to end someone's life based on doctors information, but not your own life.

On 30/10/2020 at 19:33, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hopefully the UK will follow suit sooner rather than later.

Apparently it is a devolved matter. I wrote to my local MP requesting she voted for this in parliament. Regretfully I got rather an ignorant reply saying it was nothing to do with her as it is a devolved matter.