Nobby Stiles RIP

Shanks said no

The dreaded 'long illness' which usually seems to mean dementia. He wasn't a central defender or centre forward but I just saw a clip of a diving header from him on TV. Being such a tough wee midfielder he probably took more than his share of head knocks too.

I saw him at a sportman's dinner down here 5 or 6 years ago and he was brilliant but it was very evident he had dementia then and he relied a great deal on his son while he was speaking. 

His story about getting a lift to Old Trafford in a hearse (his family had an undertakers business) so he could get to a youth trial is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. 

J.T.F.Robertson

I can still picture him skipping around Wembley after England's WC win.

10 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

Another footballer from my youth gone.He was a character. The world cup final, those of us of that vintage all remember. RIP 

Indeed. 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sad news indeed. A World Cup winning legend and there is a great photo of him heading one off the line at Hampden against Scotland during the Scotland 3 England 4 match in the 1960s. 

Loved his cricket too. 

1 hour ago, norrie1952 said:

Another footballer from my youth gone.He was a character. The world cup final, those of us of that vintage all remember. RIP 

Ah the memories:  I had just turned 16 in 1966 and was at home with a houseful of my brothers pals. He is 10 years older than me and for some reason I was the only one supporting Germany. Me and one guy got into a heated argument over that, he was older and a bit bigger than me. There was nearly a pagger, I said to him,  "Don't you realise that if England win this game we'll never hear the last of it".  I rest my case.

I've always been a bit of a prophet:  Hearts 3  H1b5  1 tomorrow, put the mortgage on it.

Edited by upgotheheads

3 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Ah the memories:  I had just turned 16 in 1966 and was at home with a houseful of my brothers pals. He is 10 years older than me and for some reason I was the only one supporting Germany. Me and one guy got into a heated argument over that, he was older and a bit bigger than me. There was nearly a pagger, I said to him,  "Don't you realise that if England win this game we'll never hear the last of it"  I rest my case.

I've always been a bit of a prophet:  Hearts 3  H1b5  1 tomorrow, put the mortgage on it.

Ok mate I'll go with you 3 -1 

2 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Only Hunt, Hirst, Cohen and Charlton left of the starting 11 (I think).

The starting 11 was the only eleven. Nae subs in those days. 

Francis Albert

To my parents generation, and so to an extent for their children's, support in the 1966 final leant strongly towards England due to  memories, including inherited memories, of the war. It was perhaps the last time the majority of Scots supported England. I was certainly pleased to see Nobbie celebrate. RIP.

But I can't see his death after the last years of his life as sad, more a release.

18 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

The dreaded 'long illness' which usually seems to mean dementia. He wasn't a central defender or centre forward but I just saw a clip of a diving header from him on TV. Being such a tough wee midfielder he probably took more than his share of head knocks too.

One in ten men teaching their late seventies will have a form of dementia. Football was probably (statistically) not the major factor in his illness. 

Brain failure, like heart failure or kidney, is just one of the facts of ageing. As we get old bits of us just wear out. 

16 minutes ago, schillaci said:

One in ten men teaching their late seventies will have a form of dementia. Football was probably (statistically) not the major factor in his illness. 

Brain failure, like heart failure or kidney, is just one of the facts of ageing. As we get old bits of us just wear out. 

It said on the news that so far four of the 66 team have developed dementia, that's a pretty high proportion. Obviously too small a sample to draw any conclusions, but a worry nonetheless.

Edited by fancy a brew

RIP Nobby.

I was too young to have seen the World cup win, but recognise the affection these lads were, and are held.

I had no idea Dementia was so common.  It was only this Covid virus that pointed that out to me.  Care homes for Dementia residents only..

stirlingshirejambo
18 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sad news indeed. A World Cup winning legend and there is a great photo of him heading one off the line at Hampden against Scotland during the Scotland 3 England 4 match in the 1960s. 

Loved his cricket too. 

Great view from boundary listen if you fancy a listen

very interesting and down to earth man

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08h7wcn