Hamburger Stadtderby tonight

VikingHeart

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As I follow Hannover 96 there’s not much for me to get excited about this season in Bundesliga 2. 

It’s a tough league dave it really is. Hannover belong in the top division. Good luck for the rest of the season.

44 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

bowling alley in/next to their clubhouse.

If I remember correctly it’s more of a skittles alley rather than a bowling alley if you know what I mean.

Victoria didn’t seem to attach to either St Pauli or Hamburg but Altona has definitely more a St Pauli feel about it.

I’m sure you have heard the term Punk Football? Well that’s Altona, it’s brilliant.

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Hamburg are scum.  

Hamburg are a very famous well respected club in Germany with great tradition and history.

VikingHeart
53 minutes ago, Rizla said:

If I remember correctly it’s more of a skittles alley rather than a bowling alley if you know what I mean.

Victoria didn’t seem to attach to either St Pauli or Hamburg but Altona has definitely more a St Pauli feel about it.

I’m sure you have heard the term Punk Football? Well that’s Altona, it’s brilliant.

There goes my Hamburg football/ bowling plan down the drain😉Yeah I've heard the term Punk Football but to me that is a very broad term. I think one could say that Hearts is Punk Football as well. Did you get the impression that Altona was very politicized or did they appear as more alternative/apolitical?  

7 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Punk Football

Punk Football is very DIY ( do it yourself). Sticking the finger up to the halfwits that think they run the show so in that respect it is very much Hearts.

VikingHeart
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

As I follow Hannover 96 there’s not much for me to get excited about this season in Bundesliga 2. 

At least you'll get to enjoy another second tier season of Fussball next year😀

12 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Punk Football is very DIY ( do it yourself). Sticking the finger up to the halfwits that think they run the show so in that respect it is very much Hearts.

HMFC - the anti-establishment establishment club😉

7 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

HMFC - the anti-establishment establishment club

Think I’ll get that printed on a T-shirt.✊🏼

Das Viertel Hearts
6 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

I've been thinking about taking the trip to Hamburg myself after first completing the long awaited voyage(s) back to Edinburgh. I know that Altona (and perhaps also SC Victoria?) is gaining more popularity as some think that St Pauli has become just like anyone else. Perhaps you know shed some light on this? Nice to hear that not all St Pauli fans are Celticminded.

So did I, that was a weird decision considering that they also have VAR.

I think it has to do with why people feel an attachment to a particular club and this in time has become what the club "stand for". What interests me with Hearts is that even though it's an old club it seems that it's the football itself and the local/Edinburgh culture that is still the main focus after all these years.  HHGH

Well said😀

You have lots of good points here Locky. I guess you agree that we're fortunate to not have any clubs like RB Leipzig in Scotland and Norway.

Thanks for the input DVH and Rizla. Hamburg sound like a decent experience.  Having said that I still miss the beer at Diggers and the music at the Royal Oak/Sandy Bells though. What were the rangers/HSV fans doing at the Pollok vs Cumnock match? Attending a Robert Burns poem night? Any idea?

Out of the two St Pauli deserved to win after not getting that penalty IMO. All in all I think it was a good Stadtderby considering the lack of fans. Really made me look forward to the next Edinburgh derby.

Unfortunately, no idea why they chose the Pollok game there was lots of BritNat bunting on display as it turns out so it may be that as that game is usually well attended it gave them bit of an audience as they certainly do crave attention.  A rather un-Scottish bunch

VikingHeart
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Think I’ll get that printed on a T-shirt.✊🏼

Superb thought Rizla, HHGH

28 minutes ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

Unfortunately, no idea why they chose the Pollok game there was lots of BritNat bunting on display as it turns out so it may be that as that game is usually well attended it gave them bit of an audience as they certainly do crave attention.  A rather un-Scottish bunch

Perhaps they got infected with the West Coast disease when passing through Glasgow? 😁

Das Viertel Hearts
12 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Superb thought Rizla, HHGH

Perhaps they got infected with the West Coast disease when passing through Glasgow? 😁

Ha ha.

Indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
credit card

St Pauli are all Smelltic. There are 2 boozers one called the same as their stadium and the other The Jolly Roger. The first one is nauseating Smelltic. The Jolly Roger though is pretty good. Didn't mind us being Hearts fans. Music is all punk and ska

credit card

After Hamburg we went to Keil v Union Berlin. Union are a great club with mental fans. Had a few beers in a beer hall and they had the place rocking. We saw their team bus when we got off the train. Photo below gives you an idea of their culture.

20190301_130249.jpg

4 minutes ago, credit card said:

After Hamburg we went to Keil v Union Berlin. Union are a great club with mental fans. Had a few beers in a beer hall and they had the place rocking. We saw their team bus when we got off the train. Photo below gives you an idea of their culture.

20190301_130249.jpg

been to union Berlin when they were in Bundesliga 2 and was a great day. Brilliant fans, atmosphere and the constant flow of beer in the stadium 

Selkirk_Jambo

The fun I had at our pre season game against Union (10 years ago :O) was a big part of why I decided to move to Berlin later that year. Can't wait for the big open up to get back to having pints in Köpenick.

Sellick were there a few years later and were doing their boaky pals again. Thankfully, most Union fans I met thought they were a shower of ****s too. Especially after my 20 minute one man shows about the finer points of their scumbaggery :greggy:

47 minutes ago, credit card said:

20190301_130249.jpg

How did you find the Union fans? Heard from a few people that they aren't always the most hospitable. Being a very anti-establishment club, they seem very sceptical of football tourism. Or some do at least. Some Union fans even felt sceptical about playing in the Bundesliga in case it somewhat corrupted the club. I admire them but they seem mental.

credit card
8 hours ago, Locky said:

How did you find the Union fans? Heard from a few people that they aren't always the most hospitable. Being a very anti-establishment club, they seem very sceptical of football tourism. Or some do at least. Some Union fans even felt sceptical about playing in the Bundesliga in case it somewhat corrupted the club. I admire them but they seem mental.

Very good they know how to party but that was an away game no idea what they are like at home.