Hamburger Stadtderby tonight

VikingHeart

Who do you want to win the game? The former dinos or the Reperbahn privateers? Being a viking I prefer the Northern teams over the Bavarian sides etc.  

1 -1 at the moment. Lots of chances to both teams.

I've never been to Hamburg but would really like to go there and watch a match. I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers. However I like St Pauli in the way that they address many important issues but they should really ditch the Celtic affiliation as it dosn't make any sense for freedom fighters to support the most corporate and narrowminded team in Scotland. Any Jambos that have visited/ living in Hamburg who can shed a light on this? 

4 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

I've never been to Hamburg but would really like to go there and watch a match. I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers. However I like St Pauli in the way that they address many important issues but they should really ditch the Celtic affiliation as it dosn't make any sense for freedom fighters to support the most corporate and narrowminded team in Scotland. Any Jambos that have visited/ living in Hamburg who can shed a light on this? 

:notsure:   Feck 'em both.

20 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

"I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers"

What leanings?

Smeltic or Hobo in the room me thinks.

Rangers died in 2012 incase you didn't know. Shame they came back in another guise. They think they are still Glasgow Rangers! lol

As for...whatever game it is you're on about, no-one cares.

The Hamburg derby finished 2-2 for those who care about the score😀 I based this on reading somewhere that HSV displayed a never surrender tifo against Celtic when they met in a match some years ago which made me think that there were connections between HSV and the football club formerly known as Rangers/Sevco (better now?) and again that HSV fans might be friendlier towards Hearts fans than some of the celtic loving St Pauli fans. Furthermore I don't know if this is the case and therefore started the sentence with "I guess" as I was interested in some opinions on the Hamburg teams from a Jambo perspective.   

There is definitely a Rangers/Hamburg affiliation but it’s not at the level which would make any sort of difference in terms of where you’d be most welcome. I was in Hamburg last November and nobody cared who we supported, all just very happy to chat about football with us. HSV fans were very welcoming, nothing to do with being Hearts fans though.

Hamburg was once described to me as one of the best times of your life then you'll want to forget it as quickly as possible...

Didn't make sense until I'd experienced it for myself. A brilliant, weird and crazy place.

Edited by Alan_R

33 minutes ago, Zaba said:

There is definitely a Rangers/Hamburg affiliation but it’s not at the level which would make any sort of difference in terms of where you’d be most welcome. I was in Hamburg last November and nobody cared who we supported, all just very happy to chat about football with us. HSV fans were very welcoming, nothing to do with being Hearts fans though.

Thanks for the input Zaba. What match(es) did you attend last november?

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Hamburg was once described to me as one of the best times of your life then you'll want to forget it as quickly as possible...

Didn't make sense until I'd experienced it for myself. A brilliant, weird and crazy place.

Sounds tempting in a strange kinda way Alan😀

And he’s not praying!
2 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers.

:spoton:

And there’s a few Hearts fans in Hamburg tonight 👍🏻

Edited by And he’s not praying!

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

SK Brann fan VH?

No Aalesunds FK (AaFk) from Ålesund , "the Orangemen of the North" or "the tango jerseys" as we actually call them. This year we've been so awful that there is a huge chance we're playing tier two football next year (sounds familiar?)      

1 hour ago, And he’s not praying! said:

:spoton:

And there’s a few Hearts fans in Hamburg tonight 👍🏻

Good to know AHNP How are the Jambos in Hamburg doing?

1 minute ago, VikingHeart said:

No Aalesunds FK (AaFk) from Ålesund , "the Orangemen of the North" or "the tango jerseys" as we actually call them. This year we've been so awful that there is a huge chance we're playing tier two football next year (sounds familiar?)      

:jjockio:

You know about the Hearts / SK Brann connection though?

Roald Jensen of Hearts in 1969.

image.jpeg.008a3fba964e2a606cf4af52fc431e3f.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a8173f0b2c1b300785171f323a4a0e7.jpeg

Roald Jensen - The story of Hearts' Norwegian genius - The Terrace - Jambos  Kickback

Every real football fan in Norway knows about the Kniksen connection but thanks for the info AR. In Norway it's quite common to have a local team and a British team (for most people an English side) as we've had access to live TV matches from the UK since 1969. Moreover when I tell people that I support the Famous 99,9% make some reference to Kniksen and some to Bjorn Maars Johnsen. There are many Aafk players with backgrounds in SK Brann/surrounding clubs including the current manager.       

12 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Every real football fan in Norway knows about the Kniksen connection but thanks for the info AR. In Norway it's quite common to have a local team and a British team (for most people an English side) as we've had access to live TV matches from the UK since 1969. Moreover when I tell people that I support the Famous 99,9% make some reference to Kniksen and some to Bjorn Maars Johnsen. There are many Aafk players with backgrounds in SK Brann/surrounding clubs including the current manager.       

:icon14:   Good man.

Just in case you haven't seen these:

http://skotskfotball.blogspot.com/2008/04/roald-jensen-legenden-lever-i-edinburgh.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/14/roald-kniksen-jensen-football-genius-norway-hearts-scotland

Incidentally, my father served in the British Army during WW2

(I arrived late and unexpectedly!  :o  :jj_facepalm:)

and his final posting was to Norway. He loved it there and was very impressed by the friendliness and hospitality of the Norwegians as well as the beauty of the scenery there. I know he would have really liked to go back, and to have taken my mother there, but money was always very tight and they were never able to do so. During post-war rationing, I was told that our family received parcels from Norway - containing things like butter and cheese - which were very welcome.

I've never been either (the nearest I've got was southern Sweden  :ermm: ), but maybe one day. If you could arrange to cut your beer prices, let's say by half, then I'll definitely make the effort!  ;)  🍺

Thanks for the links and nice words about Norway AR. Nice to hear that your father enjoyed my country during his posting😀 I think that most people along the coast (especially Western and Southern Norway) might be more into Scottish football than the average Norwegian although I run into people all over country who supports Scottish teams. Our beer isn't the cheapest but we have a good selection of quality craft beer if that helps😎🍺      

13 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Leanings towards Rangers? :bolt:

Only have leanings towards Hearts.

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks for the links and nice words about Norway AR. Nice to hear that your father enjoyed my country during his posting😀 I think that most people along the coast (especially Western and Southern Norway) might be more into Scottish football than the average Norwegian although I run into people all over country who supports Scottish teams. Our beer isn't the cheapest but we have a good selection of quality craft beer if that helps😎🍺      

We have a good selection of quality craft beers here at a fraction of the price you'll pay in Norway, FTH and your wee pals in Hamburg.

Scheisse HSV! St Pauli ain't all bad, but I find it hard to wish them too well with the whole Celtic connection. I'll stick with Schalke. :) 

The union bears have a love in with Hamburg and Celtic with St Pauli.

Would rather they both lost! I too will stick with Schalke!

PhoenixHearts

Quite like St Pauli. Don't see anything wrong with them even if some people say they're off limits because of some nonsense celtic "friendship".

It's a total fabrication on Celtics part tbf. They cling to St Pauli in an attempt to make themselves seem virtuous despite them having just as many racist and homophobic supporters as every other club in Scotland.

I know many St Pauli fans that could not give a **** about Celtic.

Anyway, I too am quite fond of Schalke, though they seem to be making it very difficult for me to enjoy right now. I think perhaps they were inspired by our performance last season...

23 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Now yer talking 👌

:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We have a good selection of quality craft beers here at a fraction of the price you'll pay in Norway, FTH and your wee pals in Hamburg.

I can assure you getting back to Edinburgh for a Hearts game and postmatch pint of Stewarts/ other Scottish craft beer when it's sensible to go is still top priority FinnBarr.  As for my wee pals in Hamburg I would just as much rather watch an Altona 93 match instead as I find Hamburg to be an interesting city although it'll never be like Edinburgh😀

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Scheisse HSV! St Pauli ain't all bad, but I find it hard to wish them too well with the whole Celtic connection. I'll stick with Schalke. :) 

Nice to know Locky. I like some of the things St Pauli stand for but I agree on the Celtic thing.

4 hours ago, Bluesy1874 said:

The union bears have a love in with Hamburg and Celtic with St Pauli.

Would rather they both lost! I too will stick with Schalke!

I've been thinking about watching a Altona 93 match as well only to avoid the whole issue with the affiliation of the glasgow two.

43 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Quite like St Pauli. Don't see anything wrong with them even if some people say they're off limits because of some nonsense celtic "friendship".

It's a total fabrication on Celtics part tbf. They cling to St Pauli in an attempt to make themselves seem virtuous despite them having just as many racist and homophobic supporters as every other club in Scotland.

I know many St Pauli fans that could not give a **** about Celtic.

Anyway, I too am quite fond of Schalke, though they seem to be making it very difficult for me to enjoy right now. I think perhaps they were inspired by our performance last season...

See you point when it comes to St Pauli PH. Seems from this thread that many jambos like Schalke, why is that?  

18 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks for the input Zaba. What match(es) did you attend last november?

Sounds tempting in a strange kinda way Alan😀

I was over for HSV v Dresden, who’s fans are quite wild and as such, they decided not to serve bevvy at the game which was a total let down 😂

Enjoyed the whole experience though, great trip.

15 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

I can assure you getting back to Edinburgh for a Hearts game and postmatch pint of Stewarts/ other Scottish craft beer when it's sensible to go is still top priority FinnBarr.  As for my wee pals in Hamburg I would just as much rather watch an Altona 93 match instead as I find Hamburg to be an interesting city although it'll never be like Edinburgh😀

Nice to know Locky. I like some of the things St Pauli stand for but I agree on the Celtic thing.

I've been thinking about watching a Altona 93 match as well only to avoid the whole issue with the affiliation of the glasgow two.

See you point when it comes to St Pauli PH. Seems from this thread that many jambos like Schalke, why is that?  

We played Schalke in 2004, europa league qualifier at murrayfield.  Might've been something to do with that.  I hadn't heard much about them until then  

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

We played Schalke in 2004, europa league qualifier at murrayfield.  Might've been something to do with that.  I hadn't heard much about them until then  

Massive travelling support, very impressive team

Just now, Macros said:

Hand a beer with four Schalke fans in murrayfield after the game.  They were sound guys.  Their whole support was impressive that night.  They just bounced for the whole 90 minutes.  I thought that was when hearts fans started tski g an interest in their results etc.  Didn't realise how big a club they were until we played them.  

5 hours ago, Zaba said:

I was over for HSV v Dresden, who’s fans are quite wild and as such, they decided not to serve bevvy at the game which was a total let down 😂

Enjoyed the whole experience though, great trip.

5 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

2 hours ago, Macros said:

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Hand a beer with four Schalke fans in murrayfield after the game.  They were sound guys.  Their whole support was impressive that night.  They just bounced for the whole 90 minutes.  I thought that was when hearts fans started tski g an interest in their results etc.  Didn't realise how big a club they were until we played them.  

Thanks for the info guys😀 I gather from this that the connection with Schalke started after the 2004 EL qualifier and has just rolled on from then.

4 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks for the info guys😀 I gather from this that the connection with Schalke started after the 2004 EL qualifier and has just rolled on from then.

Others might've had a connection before that, but that's the first I heard of any of our fans having a soft spot for them.  Sadly the group stages then meant only one game against teams so we never got the chance to play them there.  

18 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Others might've had a connection before that, but that's the first I heard of any of our fans having a soft spot for them.  Sadly the group stages then meant only one game against teams so we never got the chance to play them there.  

One never know when the clubs will meet the next time. Too bad Haaland chose to play for Dortmund as he's on fire these days😀

Just now, VikingHeart said:

One never know when the clubs will meet the next time. Too bad Haaland chose to play for Dortmund as he's on fire these days😀

I had to ask the Schalke fans who their local rivals were.  I was really impressed by their fans at murrayfield.   

• 4 months later...
VikingHeart

Another Hamburger Stadtderby is starting in about 30 minutes. Who do you think will win? Who do you want to win? Astra or Holsten/König? Or would you settle with a draw?    

Hope St Pauli pump HA-HA-HA-ESS-VOW.

Who am I kidding, this is me getting used to Monday night football next season. :( 

On 30/10/2020 at 19:02, VikingHeart said:

I try to get over to Hamburg about twice a season to go see St Pauli. If you get a chance Viking make the effort I’m sure you will enjoy it.

My St Pauli friends have Hearts leanings if that helps.

Please ignore any old firm crap it’s very boring.

ps I take in an Altona match as well when I’m over. One of their fan organisers is a big Hearts fan. 

Thought that was a penalty for Pauli myself. The defender never won the ball. The Pauli player hit a shot off him before he properly slid in. Wasn't in control of the tackle at all.

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I don't understand all this stuff about what clubs, for example St Pauli, apparently "stand for".

I support Hearts because I like the football club and I enjoy a boozy trip to Edinburgh. I'm not aware that we "stand for" anything other than football. Am I missing something? And if we do "stand for" anything, I hope it's something that I agree with.

Truth, honesty and decency. 😊

29 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I don't understand all this stuff about what clubs, for example St Pauli, apparently "stand for".

I support Hearts because I like the football club and I enjoy a boozy trip to Edinburgh. I'm not aware that we "stand for" anything other than football. Am I missing something? And if we do "stand for" anything, I hope it's something that I agree with.

It's interesting to hear the history of which demographics clubs drew their supports from, but for the most part, in this day in age, I don't think much applies. As you said, Hearts are the 'establishment club', but our support is made up of just as many working class, and upper class types, as say Hibs.

I respect what St Pauli do. Breeding a positive environment for football fans, and defending the rights of the discriminated can only be a good thing. Ultras on the continent have a bit of a reputation for being like the old casuals of the UK, when in actual fact, most clubs' Ultras are not hooligans at all. They simply just support their club in the most fanatical way. So I think on St Pauli's part, it's a way to stick to the Ultras movement, while doing positive things for the community, and quashing the views that Ultras are all 'thugs'.

Another big thing in St Pauli's philosophy, is being anti-commerical. You have to understand how important fan culture is in Germany. The fans of most clubs are fighting tooth and nail to preserve the tradition of football in the country. To avoid selling their souls for big money like in England, and keep football 'the people's game'. There are some clubs in the Bundesliga who are becoming increasingly more commercialised, and the league as a whole has gone far more in that direction with the successes of RB Leipzig, Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim, who are all bankrolled by big companies, which is totally against the grain in Germany.

But you are right for the most part. The insistence on some clubs fans', particularly a certain set of fans in Glasgow, to 'be something' and 'stand for something' is pretty pathetic. All teams supporters come from different backgrounds, and have different views on life. Who you support, doesn't define you as a person. Anyone, particularly Celtic fans, who think supporting a team defines them and their views on life, and makes them cool and edgy, is a total ****.

On 30/10/2020 at 22:56, VikingHeart said:

No Aalesunds FK (AaFk) from Ålesund

You from Ålesund?

I'd say it's the most beautiful city (unless it has to be classed as a town) I've visited. I really couldn't visit often enough. Along with Trondheim and Tromsø...I love your country.

I mean...look at this...

Charming Norwegian town in the snow - Ålesund Norway | Cool places to  visit, Beautiful places to travel, Alesund

Can't wait until COVID går til helvete and we can get back across for a visit. 

Das Viertel Hearts
On 30/10/2020 at 19:02, VikingHeart said:

St. Pauli match is a fantastic atmosphere tremendously old school !! Thoroughly recommend it.  Fans are brilliant also very friendly, create great atmosphere in a tight stadium...approx 30,000.  Lots of great wee bars (Kneipen) in the area which makes it a great day out, ticket price comically cheap!!...transport is excellent also with St Pauli U Bahn stop minutes from the stadium or Reeperbahn for the S-Bahn.

Most Hamburg fans have no idea about The Rangers.  However some do  - and it hopefully is a very tiny minority - and milk it, had the unfortunate circumstance to see a mob of 'HSV fans / The Rangers fans' at a Pollok  v Cumnock (whose fans had brought them along it seems) game.  Horrible.  A fairly substantive police presence had to escort them as they sang their hate set list through Shawlands.   A bizarre and pitiful sight in this century.

Quite a lot of so called Hearts fans enjoy this leaning and can't see past it which is truly pitiful

So I'll take St Pauli any day of any week.

4 minutes ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

St. Pauli match is a fantastic atmosphere tremendously old school !! Thoroughly recommend it.  Fans are brilliant also very friendly, create great atmosphere in a tight stadium...approx 30,000.  Lots of great wee bars (Kneipen) in the area which makes it a great day out, ticket price comically cheap!!...transport is excellent also with St Pauli U Bahn stop minutes from the stadium or Reeperbahn for the S-Bahn.

Most Hamburg fans have no idea about The Rangers.  However some do  - and it hopefully is a very tiny minority - and milk it, had the unfortunate circumstance to see a mob of 'HSV fans / The Rangers fans' at a Pollok  v Cumnock (whose fans had brought them along it seems) game.  Horrible.  A fairly substantive police presence had to escort them as they sang their hate set list through Shawlands.   A bizarre and pitiful sight in this century.

Quite a lot of so called Hearts fans enjoy this leaning and can't see past it which is truly pitiful

Well said.

VikingHeart
16 hours ago, Rizla said:

I try to get over to Hamburg about twice a season to go see St Pauli. If you get a chance Viking make the effort I’m sure you will enjoy it.

My St Pauli friends have Hearts leanings if that helps.

Please ignore any old firm crap it’s very boring.

ps I take in an Altona match as well when I’m over. One of their fan organisers is a big Hearts fan. 

I've been thinking about taking the trip to Hamburg myself after first completing the long awaited voyage(s) back to Edinburgh. I know that Altona (and perhaps also SC Victoria?) is gaining more popularity as some think that St Pauli has become just like anyone else. Perhaps you know shed some light on this? Nice to hear that not all St Pauli fans are Celticminded.

15 hours ago, Locky said:

Thought that was a penalty for Pauli myself. The defender never won the ball. The Pauli player hit a shot off him before he properly slid in. Wasn't in control of the tackle at all.

So did I, that was a weird decision considering that they also have VAR.

15 hours ago, sassenach said:

I think it has to do with why people feel an attachment to a particular club and this in time has become what the club "stand for". What interests me with Hearts is that even though it's an old club it seems that it's the football itself and the local/Edinburgh culture that is still the main focus after all these years.  HHGH

15 hours ago, martoon said:

Truth, honesty and decency. 😊

Well said😀

14 hours ago, Locky said:

It's interesting to hear the history of which demographics clubs drew their supports from, but for the most part, in this day in age, I don't think much applies. As you said, Hearts are the 'establishment club', but our support is made up of just as many working class, and upper class types, as say Hibs.

I respect what St Pauli do. Breeding a positive environment for football fans, and defending the rights of the discriminated can only be a good thing. Ultras on the continent have a bit of a reputation for being like the old casuals of the UK, when in actual fact, most clubs' Ultras are not hooligans at all. They simply just support their club in the most fanatical way. So I think on St Pauli's part, it's a way to stick to the Ultras movement, while doing positive things for the community, and quashing the views that Ultras are all 'thugs'.

Another big thing in St Pauli's philosophy, is being anti-commerical. You have to understand how important fan culture is in Germany. The fans of most clubs are fighting tooth and nail to preserve the tradition of football in the country. To avoid selling their souls for big money like in England, and keep football 'the people's game'. There are some clubs in the Bundesliga who are becoming increasingly more commercialised, and the league as a whole has gone far more in that direction with the successes of RB Leipzig, Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim, who are all bankrolled by big companies, which is totally against the grain in Germany.

But you are right for the most part. The insistence on some clubs fans', particularly a certain set of fans in Glasgow, to 'be something' and 'stand for something' is pretty pathetic. All teams supporters come from different backgrounds, and have different views on life. Who you support, doesn't define you as a person. Anyone, particularly Celtic fans, who think supporting a team defines them and their views on life, and makes them cool and edgy, is a total ****.

You have lots of good points here Locky. I guess you agree that we're fortunate to not have any clubs like RB Leipzig in Scotland and Norway.

14 hours ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

14 hours ago, Rizla said:

Well said.

Thanks for the input DVH and Rizla. Hamburg sound like a decent experience.  Having said that I still miss the beer at Diggers and the music at the Royal Oak/Sandy Bells though. What were the rangers/HSV fans doing at the Pollok vs Cumnock match? Attending a Robert Burns poem night? Any idea?

11 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Good guys win 🙂

Out of the two St Pauli deserved to win after not getting that penalty IMO. All in all I think it was a good Stadtderby considering the lack of fans. Really made me look forward to the next Edinburgh derby.

1 hour ago, VikingHeart said:

I know that Altona (and perhaps also SC Victoria?) is gaining more popularity as some think that St Pauli has become just like anyone else.

Years ago when I first started going to Hamburg a few of the old punks started attending/supporting Altona because they thought St Pauli was getting a bit commercial.

I’ve actually been to a Victoria/Altona derby match. Victoria have a great clubhouse.

VikingHeart

Seems interesting Rizla. It would've be fun to do a comparison of the match day experience among Hamburg clubs sometime in the near future. I've also heard that Victoria have a bowling alley in/next to their clubhouse. Did you get to try that as well? Are Victoria affiliated to HSV/ St Pauli or do they regard themselves as a third/ fourth alternative in the city?