Shite bosses

Rick James

Why do people go for managers positions in the workplace, when they are physically incapable of managing staff, or showing basic human compassion? I had enough of them in my last job, and it seems my girlfriend is stuck with one now. She works for a well known business, but had a run in with her manager today as she's been told she needs to go back to the office on Monday, after 7 months of working from home. It's not the return to the office part which has particularly bothered her, more her managers attitude to everything.

She's been asked to go back because they've disputed her productivity has dropped since she started WFH. However, what they haven't taken into consideration is the new work she's been made to take on which is sure to have an affect. On top of that, she put forward her concerns about how being back in the office could make her more likely to pass something on to my daughter who I get at weekends, and is severely asthmatic. Her managers response was simply 'not my problem'. They then went on to say that she clearly isn't that high risk if she's at school and demanded that we submit something in writing from a doctor that confirms my daughter is in fact high risk. 

Just me, or does this manager sound like a total ****? Anyone got any good examples of terrible bosses?

Blame the people that employ them. 

You can't blame morons for wanting a good wage. 

It's amazing how many idiots/arseholes blag their way to the top. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Blame the people that employ them. 

You can't blame morons for wanting a good wage. 

It's amazing how many idiots/arseholes blag their way to the top. 

I hate the way that job recruitment works. Not enough judging of people face to face, rather it seems you can just lie through your teeth to tell them what they want to hear on paper. 

In my line of work, I've been trying to get a promotion. The band up from me has 2 paths in my department, either managerial work, or more technical work behind the scenes. I'm pushing for the latter because I really don't know if I want to be a manager, and I feel it's not fair on employees if I take that role on without having the heart to do it.

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

I hate the way that job recruitment works. Not enough judging of people face to face, rather it seems you can just lie through your teeth to tell them what they want to hear on paper. 

In my line of work, I've been trying to get a promotion. The band up from me has 2 paths in my department, either managerial work, or more technical work behind the scenes. I'm pushing for the latter because I really don't know if I want to be a manager, and I feel it's not fair on employees if I take that role on without having the heart to do it.

Where I work we have some absolute brown nosing charlatans with no real track record of technical competence in charge of technical people whose jobs they couldn't do themselves if you held a gun to their heads. They just have the right friends and kiss the right bums. They'd throw anyone under a bus to save their own arses and you wouldn't want them next to you in the trenches. It gives me the boak.

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

That's about the size of it. I've noticed it more and more over the years. 

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

About right that in my experience 👍

It seem (in the conservation racket) that if you have come out of Uni with a degree you can be as incompetent and useless with absolutely no practical experience and never had to produce any results  as you like and will thrive in the public sector, you wouldn't believe the level of incompetence that the tax payer is paying for.

I'm not wanted back at the company i work for because i'm the only person that tells the truth, they fecking hate it!

It took them until today to send me a text message ( through gritted teeth) to tell me i'm back on the new furlough, only because they don't want to pay my redundancy. 

22 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

That's about the size of it. I've noticed it more and more over the years. 

I'm only 27 so can't speak through experience, but definitely got the impression that this was a fairly recent thing in the modern recruitment game. Not sure if it's because companies have boxes to tick in regards to people of all backgrounds, but it definitely seems like a lot of companies select who is right for the job on paper, not via actual human interaction.

I'm civil service and recently applied for a work coach role in the Job Centre. Having been a benefits claimant myself at one point, I felt I had invaluable experience for that job, and felt I had a bit of a story to tell should I get the chance to be interviewed. Sadly, I didn't even get an interview and the application process didn't really give me a chance to talk about myself, rather just tick boxes on what I can and can't do apparently.

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm not wanted back at the company i work for because i'm the only person that tells the truth, they fecking hate it!

It took them until today to send me a text message ( through gritted teeth) to tell me i'm back on the new furlough, only because they don't want to pay my redundancy. 

I was a bit like that in my last job. Was union rep at 23 because of it. :lol: Think they were relieved to see the back of me.

Seaside jambo

There are some good bosses ,am sure we have all come across one or two good ones in our time .  
oh am a manager on a building site for one of Britain’s biggest house builders by the way

Mine is an irresponsible,  out of touch bully.  A ****ing crackpot.  Any day now he'll be looking for some other sod to bully.  All set to deliver the big SEE YA at any point.  Just hanging on just now to get to the next pay day.  

AlphonseCapone

I've had some brilliant managers and one who was sound but not great at his actual job and tended to steal credit. It's a bit cliché but I learnt a hell of a lot from that bad manager about how not to be. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Konrad von Carstein

Not going to go into specifics, however, a particularly narcissistic, lying, bullying coward, who by the way is the top man in the company, almost destroyed my wife's mental health - to the point that some days I was genuinely afraid of what I was going to walk into when coming home from work. 

She was off work for almost a year and has only recently managed to get transferred out from under the arrogant *******s influence and is slowly regaining her confidence and her old personality is making a come back too.

Everyone who matters knows what went on but unsurprisingly he has got off scott free, I REALLY hope Karma is a thing!

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I've had some brilliant managers and one who was sound but not great at his actual job and tended to steal credit. It's a bit cliché but I learnt a hell of a lot of that bad manager about how not to be. 

Funny, I've had that experience too...

Weakened Offender
50 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I used to work with someone who thought she was the only person that told the truth where in reality she was an utter ringpiece who couldn't tell the difference between what the truth was and what she'd like the truth to have been. 

I'm not saying you're like that BTW. 

Worst I had was in retail, a horrible bully of a man. He was about 40, there was an assistant manager of 30 and most of the staff were 17-25. Prime example of someone enjoying being the big man by being a **** to everyone because everyone was young to stand up to him. I enjoyed a few good shouting matches with him and ended up packing it in sharpish. To be fair to him I think the shop was making a good profit, and folk were rarely late or sick. It was a bit of an act I felt.

Had other managers who didn't give a shit about doing the work to any standard but were good to the staff.

Another guy had a degree from cambridge and was very eloquent as a public speaker. Total weird guy though, had absolutely no idea how to handle the staff - who mainly bitched about him - or how to play the political games with senior managers that was needed to benefit our department. He was friendly enough, strange but seemed like he was going through a breakdown - possibly due to being terrible at the job. 

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Mine is an irresponsible,  out of touch bully.  A ****ing crackpot.  Any day now he'll be looking for some other sod to bully.  All set to deliver the big SEE YA at any point.  Just hanging on just now to get to the next pay day.  

😀

9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I used to work with someone who thought she was the only person that told the truth where in reality she was an utter ringpiece who couldn't tell the difference between what the truth was and what she'd like the truth to have been. 

I'm not saying you're like that BTW. 

Ha, Aye, well there's telling the truth and there's believing your own lies. 

When I worked for Safeway up north, one manager totally had it in for me. He'd kick my ass for the most petty things. He'd wait for me at the door so we could "go for a walk". Then kick my ass because the part time laddie left the place in a state. He was a w@nk to some others too. I had a plan to "get" him at some point. I've had managers give me a hard time but this boy was a bully.  My cause was not helped because at the time I couldn't give a shit about the job and was only there for beer money. The best consolation was there were 2 lovely older ladies who used to buy me beer, I explained that although very kind I couldn't accept gifts. However the couple would not take no for an answer and would get a manager to sign for it. It just so happened to be the arsehole boss who'd sign the receipt. I think that also didn't help my case. I did chuckle when the trolley boy rammed 6 trolleys into his car and somebody else (not me) let his tyres down. That was years ago and now he's probably on the scrap heap after the demise of Safeway. 

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Im the boss and im a complete arsehole.

No practise required.

The boss of what? your sock drawer?

2 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

There are some good bosses ,am sure we have all come across one or two good ones in our time .  
oh am a manager on a building site for one of Britain’s biggest house builders by the way

Definitely. My current manager is easily the best I've had. Compassionate, heartfelt and genuinely makes effort to help you out.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Definitely. My current manager is easily the best I've had. Compassionate, heartfelt and genuinely makes effort to help you out.

Sounds like a primary school teacher to me. 

Is she hot?

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

About right that in my experience 👍

It seem (in the conservation racket) that if you have come out of Uni with a degree you can be as incompetent and useless with absolutely no practical experience and never had to produce any results  as you like and will thrive in the public sector, you wouldn't believe the level of incompetence that the tax payer is paying for.

Very true. Theory into practice doesn't always work and only experience can align the two.  But you do have to learn somewhere, tho it's better to climb the ladder, rather than jump in a lift. 

On managing others. Some folk aren't comfortable with telling other folk what to do. So do even try, which is a petty. But you a d I know there's plenty of piss takers in every workplace.

Advice for future bosses. The worst patter from any boss is "If you don't like it, you know where the door is". So keep that one to yourself. (Oh and if you ever get into an argument with an employee. Do stand up from your seat, as you'll might regret it)

My advice to others is to take them up on their advice and find another job, resentment kills the soul and the first rule in work and life, is be happy and second is, don't let the bassas grind you down. 

So the next time a boss thinks they own you, you say "Stick yer job right up yer arse, goodbye" 

Sorted! 

Edited by ri Alban

9 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

😂 that was funny. I’m stealing that phrase and storing it in my brain for a suitable occasion. 

8 hours ago, Locky said:

The best manager I've had transferred to another office. I had planned to move over with her but the office was just too far away.

13 hours ago, Locky said:

Why do people go for managers positions in the workplace, when they are physically incapable of managing staff, or showing basic human compassion? I had enough of them in my last job, and it seems my girlfriend is stuck with one now. She works for a well known business, but had a run in with her manager today as she's been told she needs to go back to the office on Monday, after 7 months of working from home. It's not the return to the office part which has particularly bothered her, more her managers attitude to everything.

She's been asked to go back because they've disputed her productivity has dropped since she started WFH. However, what they haven't taken into consideration is the new work she's been made to take on which is sure to have an affect. On top of that, she put forward her concerns about how being back in the office could make her more likely to pass something on to my daughter who I get at weekends, and is severely asthmatic. Her managers response was simply 'not my problem'. They then went on to say that she clearly isn't that high risk if she's at school and demanded that we submit something in writing from a doctor that confirms my daughter is in fact high risk. 

Just me, or does this manager sound like a total ****? Anyone got any good examples of terrible bosses?

Or cant do the job which the folk below them are very good at, dont get me started.

I work on multi-discipline projects so you end up with a Project Manager who you report to and a Department Manager in the background. The guys who are good at the job technically tend to stay on projects and the ones who are not so good tend to recognise this and migrate to department manager jobs.

The thing that strikes me about management these days is the number of young people desperate to have 'senior',  'principal' or 'manager' as part of their job title irrespective of their level of experience. So much so that I tend to take peoples' job titles with a pinch of salt nowadays and act/react towards them based on their competency rather than their own perceived importance. 

I’m self employed now but left a toxic work place where the middle management were encouraged to bully by their bullying bosses. My direct manager used to call or “drop in” to my jobs nit pick about a certain aspect of performance metric, whatever flavour of the month was and make outrageous threats of gross misconduct or immediate dismissal. He’d always make these in person or over the phone and for quite a while it really messed with my mental health. I knew I was an average performer as the league table was another thing used as a stick. Eventually I decided to play him at his own game and would minute our every conversation and email them back to him, copying in our union rep. I was left alone after that. I knew he was just waiting for me to mess something up so he could go to town so I left after a year. The ironic thing is I’ve since been on a couple of nights out in his company and he’s sound,  he was as much of a victim of the environment as I was, he just had some power.

15 hours ago, Locky said:

He/she may well be but in my experience it can just as often be a case of shooting the messenger, unless her manager is actually quite senior in the company there's every chance that he/she is just being told what to pass on.

I manage 2 people yet have zero influence over things like promotions, salary etc, that all comes form my managers manager so puts me in a really crap position where I'm the bad guy that has to deal with disciplinary side when things aren't going well but can't do anything when things are going well.

12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Course, you not up to that sort of responsibility yet?

11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Sounds like a primary school teacher to me. 

Is she hot?

Who says it's a she? ;)

11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

He/she may well be but in my experience it can just as often be a case of shooting the messenger, unless her manager is actually quite senior in the company there's every chance that he/she is just being told what to pass on.

I manage 2 people yet have zero influence over things like promotions, salary etc, that all comes form my managers manager so puts me in a really crap position where I'm the bad guy that has to deal with disciplinary side when things aren't going well but can't do anything when things are going well.

They are of course churning out the old 'this isn't me this is my boss' spiel, but I tend to take the with a pinch of salt. Even then, if they just displayed some kind of human emotion and compassion, this wouldn't be such an issue. My girlfriend has had nothing but trouble from this manager, and their piss poor attitude yesterday has just tipped us over the edge.

23 minutes ago, Locky said:

They are of course churning out the old 'this isn't me this is my boss' spiel, but I tend to take the with a pinch of salt. Even then, if they just displayed some kind of human emotion and compassion, this wouldn't be such an issue. My girlfriend has had nothing but trouble from this manager, and their piss poor attitude yesterday has just tipped us over the edge.

I am no expert on this but I would have thought they would have to prove it is essential for her to go back into office given restrictions etc.

16 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I am no expert on this but I would have thought they would have to prove it is essential for her to go back into office given restrictions etc.

Their only basis is that they dispute my girlfriend's productivity has dropped since working from home and they want her back in to see if it boosts productivity, and also keep an eye on her. Up until August, my girlfriend was doing her normal role, under a different manager and had zero complaints about her productivity. Then she was upskilled to a different department, but still with the same manager at first. She was informed her productivity had dropped a little, but this wasn't an issue as she was doing something totally new. All of a sudden, she's had this new manager for 3 or 4 weeks, and they've got an issue with her productivity and that's their only reason for her being back in the office.

This same manager has also accused my girlfriend of tampering with systems on several occasions, because of an issue with a particular system that's happened while working from home since day 1.

9 minutes ago, Locky said:

Their only basis is that they dispute my girlfriend's productivity has dropped since working from home and they want her back in to see if it boosts productivity, and also keep an eye on her. Up until August, my girlfriend was doing her normal role, under a different manager and had zero complaints about her productivity. Then she was upskilled to a different department, but still with the same manager at first. She was informed her productivity had dropped a little, but this wasn't an issue as she was doing something totally new. All of a sudden, she's had this new manager for 3 or 4 weeks, and they've got an issue with her productivity and that's their only reason for her being back in the office.

This same manager has also accused my girlfriend of tampering with systems on several occasions, because of an issue with a particular system that's happened while working from home since day 1.

That just sounds absolutely ridiculous to be fair, some managers need to take a good look at themselves.

4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

That just sounds absolutely ridiculous to be fair, some managers need to take a good look at themselves.

Definitely mate. I'd go as far to say it's borderline bullying. Sadly, it doesn't seem like she's the only one in there though who's had this sort of treatment. I think management in this place are like this across the board. 

I know we all like to stick up for our other halfs.. but has anyone else undergone the upskilling? How is their productivity? Have they been asked to go in as well? 

If I was managing someone who had the same training as others but produced a lot less..I would consider ways to help them and going into the office to work closer to others might be an option. 

I get that it's sort notice though. And have they tried anything else to address the productivity/lack of training/training issues other than this? There is always more than one way to get things done. 

With regards to your daughter and high risk.. that's not my problem is a really crap answers. This needs to be considered and discussed with you and everyone involved. 

The Real Maroonblood

Maybe I’ve been fortunate but my first line managers have generally been okay.

A few above them have been muppets but nothing untoward.

highlandjambo3

Unfortunately managers tend to be business driven, recruited and selected for their drive and productivity not their compassion.  It’s true that there are many good managers out there that are easy to work with and very people focussed and, it’s quite reassuring to work in that environment but, there are many bar stewards out there that will do the minimum staff support stuff.

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

I know we all like to stick up for our other halfs.. but has anyone else undergone the upskilling? How is their productivity? Have they been asked to go in as well? 

If I was managing someone who had the same training as others but produced a lot less..I would consider ways to help them and going into the office to work closer to others might be an option. 

I get that it's sort notice though. And have they tried anything else to address the productivity/lack of training/training issues other than this? There is always more than one way to get things done. 

With regards to your daughter and high risk.. that's not my problem is a really crap answers. This needs to be considered and discussed with you and everyone involved. 

Not sure about how many others got put on it tbh. As far as I know though, it's only her who's been asked to go back in. Even if that was the case, which is very valid, then a different approach is all I think she'd have asked for. If I was a union rep in her office, I'd have a field day.

18 hours ago, Locky said:

Why do people go for managers positions in the workplace, when they are physically incapable of managing staff, or showing basic human compassion? I had enough of them in my last job.

To be fair locky in our last job they were consistent. Consistently back stabbing making things up to make them look good and passing the buck for when they messed up 😂.

49 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

To be fair locky in our last job they were consistent. Consistently back stabbing making things up to make them look good and passing the buck for when they messed up 😂.

Where do you think I sussed out what a shite manager was. :lol:

That place was a total joke.

19 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not going to go into specifics, however, a particularly narcissistic, lying, bullying coward, who by the way is the top man in the company, almost destroyed my wife's mental health - to the point that some days I was genuinely afraid of what I was going to walk into when coming home from work. 

She was off work for almost a year and has only recently managed to get transferred out from under the arrogant *******s influence and is slowly regaining her confidence and her old personality is making a come back too.

Everyone who matters knows what went on but unsurprisingly he has got off scott free, I REALLY hope Karma is a thing!

Didn't you consider punching his **** in? Genuine question.

Konrad von Carstein
26 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Didn't you consider punching his **** in? Genuine question.

We both work for the same company, even aggressively challenging him would've seen me down the road.

Mortgage, bills etc...

Im not going to be working there forever though.

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We both work for the same company, even aggressively challenging him would've seen me down the road.

Mortgage, bills etc...

Im not going to be working there forever though.

Of course. Bit rash to do that. Boils my piss when whankers like that get away with it. Probably a hobo too!

19 hours ago, Locky said:

Where do you think I sussed out what a shite manager was. :lol:

That place was a total joke.

On a serious note though the way it works is there is a line manager aka team manager who will be the one who has probably just got the position and wants to look like they are doing something.

If it is just her that's being made too travel in there should be an ops manager for her area might be worth finding out who that is if she is feeling bullied and go above.