Dentistry

Lone Striker

Has anyone been "drilled" by a dentist in the last few months ?      I went for a checkup last week and (by chance)  found out that they're charging £120 for a filling now - apparently the high-spec PPE they need for drilling  is not being supplied by the NHS yet.     It's just the basic gown, facemask and face visor which they get from the NHS - not safe enough to protect the dentist, so my dentist is buying the high-spec stuff himself  now and charging the patients.         Does anyone know if there's a plan or timetable for when the NHS will start supplying the high-spec PPE for free or even just  a token cost ?   

6 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

All procedures on the NHS are due to start next month.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/nhs-dental-services-to-return-across-scotland-next-month?top

Thanks for the link.    👍  No detail as to whether the high-spec PPE will be funded centrally or if it will come out of each practice's budget.   Either way, it's another covid-related drain on NHS funds.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Has anyone been "drilled" by a dentist in the last few months ?      I went for a checkup last week and (by chance)  found out that they're charging £120 for a filling now - apparently the high-spec PPE they need for drilling  is not being supplied by the NHS yet.     It's just the basic gown, facemask and face visor which they get from the NHS - not safe enough to protect the dentist, so my dentist is buying the high-spec stuff himself  now and charging the patients.         Does anyone know if there's a plan or timetable for when the NHS will start supplying the high-spec PPE for free or even just  a token cost ?   

Sure the £120 wasn't the private cost? Sure they can't yet do aspirated procedures on the NHS yet but even when they can it won't be PPE that drives cost it'll be that they need to air our the exam room for an hour every time

1 hour ago, Gulpener said:

All procedures on the NHS are due to start next month.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/nhs-dental-services-to-return-across-scotland-next-month?top

That article is 17 days old, a lot has changed since it was published, so the full range of services might still not be available.

I hope dentists return back to normal very soon, as an old filling fell out at the start of March and whilst there is no pain, as yet, it's only a matter of time before it does get sore.

I lost a filling on my front tooth 2 months ago and got an appointment with my own NHS dentist within 1 week and got it fixed for about 25 quid.

Both my dentist and the dental nurse had to wear full chemical gowns and visors and the surgery room had to be closed and cleaned for a minimum of 1 hour before used again.

Edited by Hugh Phamism

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Alternatively, buy some Fuji 9 and do it yourself. For further guidance, go on youtube and search for fuji 9 bob mortimer. 

As for drilling.....

My dentist is really pretty. I hate dentists but she always makes the visits less stressful.

Insert your own filling/cavity/oral hygiene pun. 

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Sure the £120 wasn't the private cost? Sure they can't yet do aspirated procedures on the NHS yet but even when they can it won't be PPE that drives cost it'll be that they need to air our the exam room for an hour every time

It could be, but the receptionist explained it again as being related to having to purchase their own PPE.   The issue of having to clean the room after each patient, and leave the air to settle for a couple of hours, was also mentioned.

Oh well... I'll just stick with the Corsodyl for the time being. 🙄

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

As for drilling.....

My dentist is really pretty. I hate dentists but she always makes the visits less stressful.

Insert your own filling/cavity/oral hygiene pun. 

No need, when Kenneth can convey a suitable reaction 

image.jpeg.637d0538c0c55039d1bedce2d9cd871c.jpeg

What's the script with dentists just now? I thought they were only taking on emergency work.

Just before lockdown, I went for the first time in years and came away with a list of work needing done (mainly just fillings replaced, I've not got teeth like a burnt fence). Had the first 2 appointments before it all shut down, and recently chipped another tooth.

3 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

I lost a filling on my front tooth 2 months ago and got an appointment with my own NHS dentist within 1 week and got it fixed for about 25 quid.

Both my dentist and the dental nurse had to wear full chemical gowns and visors and the surgery room had to be closed and cleaned for a minimum of 1 hour before used again.

They have to wait an hour to see next patient? 

I’m normally getting shouted into the room and told to sit in the chair before the person who was in before me has their coat on

Will get my check up in 5 years if that’s the speed they are going to go at 😱

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

No need, when Kenneth can convey a suitable reaction 

image.jpeg.637d0538c0c55039d1bedce2d9cd871c.jpeg

I'd share where my practice is but then I remember JKB is full of deviants....so i'm not sharing my cute dentist with anyone.

Just thinking about her now makes me want a wee scrape and polish......

15 hours ago, fast_blood said:

Alternatively, buy some Fuji 9 and do it yourself. For further guidance, go on youtube and search for fuji 9 bob mortimer. 

What on earth is Fuji 9.  dentist prices are beyond a joke, root treatment is the best, pay loads for

3 days of pain.

43 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

What on earth is Fuji 9.  dentist prices are beyond a joke, root treatment is the best, pay loads for

3 days of pain.

Go on YouTube and search for fuji 9 Bob mortimer, it'll at very least make you chuckle. 

17 hours ago, fast_blood said:

Don't forget you need a kitchen island and a gamer's chair.

I need some fuji 9.

Been needing a some dental work since February this year and at this rate they are never getting back to normal at the dentists.

18 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Someone should ask Leitchyboy why his profession are shining it from doing their jobs. 

They’re not “shining it from doing their jobs”.  NHS dentists have a list of things they are allowed to do on the NHS and at the start of all this the list was reduced to a tiny  fraction of what it was - basically emergencies only and even then only in extremis.  Dentists are well aware of the enormous backlog of work that is building up.

”Leitchyboy” will have spent 5 - 7 years training to be a dentist.  This is before being awarded a number of other qualifications including one in Public Health from Harvard University.

Oh, and there’s this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52637008

5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Don't forget you need a kitchen island and a gamer's chair.

Just watched it, cant honestly believe that.

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

They’re not “shining it from doing their jobs”.  NHS dentists have a list of things they are allowed to do on the NHS and at the start of all this the list was reduced to a tiny  fraction of what it was - basically emergencies only and even then only in extremis.  Dentists are well aware of the enormous backlog of work that is building up.

”Leitchyboy” will have spent 5 - 7 years training to be a dentist.  This is before being awarded a number of other qualifications including one in Public Health from Harvard University.

Oh, and there’s this

Are you related to this guy?

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, FWJ said:

Oh, and there’s this

Are you a dentist? I wish to **** he'd stayed in dentistry. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

On 29/10/2020 at 14:21, Lone Striker said:

I went to my dentist for a filling it was done on NHS no charge but also had a veneer 

broken off on my front tooth so Dentist covered it No drilling  in either Case though 

but asked how much a Crown would be (privately instead of veneer ) £385 It would cost as I have to pay for PPE now the charge for this would be PPE £20
This seems to me about Money more than health otherwise the SNP Administration would sanction this PPE for NHS patients I would  gladly pay for PPE 

Went for check up in Dec, all fine, around Feb time started getting a bit of jip in bottom right of mouth, nothing major, lockdown came and i 'lived with it' not seeing it as an emergency, beginningnof last month gave in and booked an emerg appointment as fed up eating on one side of mouth.

Long story short, 4 x rays later i have 5 absesses requiring 4 root canals and one extraction.

Cant he done on NHS at this time due to not being able to turn in machines, onky options were wait until next sumner (thats when they thought they could do normal procedures again) and hope the absesses dont burst in between times or go private, machines can be turned on if you pay in full as nhs wont cover it, 3 appointments and a bit of agony handing over £1k (would have been £340 under Nhs)later and my mouth is slowly returning to normal.

Covid cost me.