Upcoming Interview with John Colquhoun

Skippy Doodle

Skippy Doodle
🚨 ANNOUNCEMENT 🚨 This week I will be speaking with Hearts legend John Colquhoun looking back on his return to the club in 1993.

If you want to submit a question for me to ask John from the 1993-94 season then reply on this thread with your name and question

The interview will appear on my new website https://www.amoruso-lets-it-run.com/

0_935726.jpg

Skippy Doodle
Just now, cookieboy said:

is that a goal at Fester Road they are celebrating ?

yeah mate when he scored that double in1993

27 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

I got a nosebleed in the bouncy for the first. Just stopped bleeding when he scored again 😀

Will always be one of my favourite ever Jambos. Played his heart out week in week out and to think we could have got Provan instead of him

Edited by Jamhammer

1 hour ago, Skippy Doodle said:

He was brilliant that game. 

In fact he was brilliant most games 👍

Geddyalexneil

Not a question just a comment to say that he was made of steel! I can't remember another player being booted up and down the pitch so much. Yet he got up more or less every time and kept running.

I loved him as a player and also as a, loved him as a pundit when he was on Scotsport. He always talked HMFC up. 

He is a legend in my eyes.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Skippy Doodle said:

**** I feel old now. 

I taken my "bird" to that game as a date. 😂

2 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

That lob over Leighton 👌

When it was easier to nutmeg him 🙄

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Chong said:

When it was easier to nutmeg him 🙄

Being funny or mixed up? 

The lob was from about 30 yards! 

4 hours ago, cookieboy said:

is that a goal at Fester Road they are celebrating ?

2 0 hearts jc just scoring a belter.

Edited by Hectormasson

been here before

Could he hear that lassie in the shed who used to burst everyones eardrums screaching "come oan JC" everytime he got the ball?

14 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:
🚨 ANNOUNCEMENT 🚨 This week I will be speaking with Hearts legend John Colquhoun looking back on his return to the club in 1993.

If you want to submit a question for me to ask John from the 1993-94 season then reply on this thread with your name and question

The interview will appear on my new website https://www.amoruso-lets-it-run.com/

0_935726.jpg

Great work getting JC on mate, looking forward to it. 

Can wait to listen to it. What day will we hear it?

John Colquhoun is still my all-time favourite Hearts player, we even met him at Hampden for the 2012 Cup Final against that lot. Happy to get his pic taken with us. Probably the best £50k we ever spent. I bet Celtic wished they hasn't sold him to us in 1985. Provan was their main winger and he had to pack it in the following season through illness. One of Alex MacDonald's top signings and was disappointed when he left in 1990. He was away for the Joe Jordan years. Delighted when he returned for Sandy Clark in 1993. Still got another 3/4 years out of him at that stage of his career.

will-i-am-a-jambo

I'm sure he set up the goal for Alan Johnston to score against Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi final in 1996 against the mutton molestsers? One of my all time favourite players as a kid growing up. I used to tuck my shirt in my shorts the same way he used to (i.e. Tucked in at the front, hanging out the back like a superman cape lol)

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

12 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I'm sure he set up the goal for Alan Johnston to score against Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi final in 1996 against the mutton molestsers? One of my all time favourite players as a kid growing up. I used to tuck my shirt in my shorts the same way he used to (i.e. Tucked in at the front, hanging out the back like a superman cape lol)

Robbo set up Alan Johnston for the second 

Skippy Doodle
10 minutes ago, j1964m said:

Robbo set up Alan Johnston for the second 

He did set him up at pittodrie earlier that season 👍😀

Central Belt 1874
6 hours ago, been here before said:

Could he hear that lassie in the shed who used to burst everyones eardrums screaching "come oan JC" everytime he got the ball?

Great question! One of the many memories I have as a kid watching the games from the benches in the shed. Every game for what felt like years!

JC was an excellent player for us. 

I would like to ask John how he thinks he would have fared playing in the modern day and thank him for the many, many brilliant performances in maroon please.

Gorgie Boot boy

JC  and the magic sponge. Guy would get done near every game and be right back into it again.

19 hours ago, Geddyalexneil said:

Not a question just a comment to say that he was made of steel! I can't remember another player being booted up and down the pitch so much. Yet he got up more or less every time and kept running.

I loved him as a player and also as a, loved him as a pundit when he was on Scotsport. He always talked HMFC up. 

He is a legend in my eyes.

I seem to remember him getting hoofed in the stomach and throwing up at Ibrox but staying on and playing on. Sums him up.

Top player

therefsajambo

Good Stirling lad. I grew up in St. Ninians just up the hill from his mum n dad. Tell him thank u for the 1998 cup final ticket. I was his postman at the time. Always ran to the stirling flag if he scored and it was there. Second only to robbo as my favourite Hearts player 

Geddyalexneil
2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I seem to remember him getting hoofed in the stomach and throwing up at Ibrox but staying on and playing on. Sums him up.

Top player

Holy crap! I don't remember that.

It doesn't fully surprise me that he kept going. 

Legend and fighter!

Th

16 hours ago, Geddyalexneil said:

Holy crap! I don't remember that.

It doesn't fully surprise me that he kept going. 

Legend and fighter!

Think it was at Ibrox. Could be wrong

On 28/10/2020 at 22:39, Smith's right boot said:

**** I feel old now. 

was it fancy dress

6 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Th

Think it was at Ibrox. Could be wrong

It was. Can't remember though if it was his first stint at Hearts or his second. Inclined to go with first, possibly 1988, John Robertson's last game before going to Newcastle. Think Hugh Burns was in that Hearts team and when Rangers scored he was lying on his back with his hands in the air. Dick!

Loved the October 1993 derby at ER. 

Hibs had made a decent start to the season, reached the LC final and really fancied their chances. We, on the other hand, had hardly won a game since the August "Magic Johnston" derby. 

I should have known that Hearts would do what we do on derby day. One of the easiest of the 22. Brilliant side view of JC's lob from the segregation fence with their East terracing.

Mo Johnston's second game for us and, although overshadowed by John's exploits, he led the line really well that day. Never stopped chasing and running. 

44 minutes ago, jambonian said:

It was. Can't remember though if it was his first stint at Hearts or his second. Inclined to go with first, possibly 1988, John Robertson's last game before going to Newcastle. Think Hugh Burns was in that Hearts team and when Rangers scored he was lying on his back with his hands in the air. Dick!

Been hounded to death on Social Media for that now

queensferryjambo
On 28/10/2020 at 21:22, Jamhammer said:

I got a nosebleed in the bouncy for the first. Just stopped bleeding when he scored again 😀

Will always be one of my favourite ever Jambos. Played his heart out week in week out and to think we could have got Provan instead of him

I got my nose broken when JC scored against Athletico Madrid when the guy next to me jumped up and threw his arm into my face by accident (I hope).

Loved JC he was a great player for us :) 

Skippy Doodle
On 29/10/2020 at 11:50, jambonian said:

Can wait to listen to it. What day will we hear it?

John Colquhoun is still my all-time favourite Hearts player, we even met him at Hampden for the 2012 Cup Final against that lot. Happy to get his pic taken with us. Probably the best £50k we ever spent. I bet Celtic wished they hasn't sold him to us in 1985. Provan was their main winger and he had to pack it in the following season through illness. One of Alex MacDonald's top signings and was disappointed when he left in 1990. He was away for the Joe Jordan years. Delighted when he returned for Sandy Clark in 1993. Still got another 3/4 years out of him at that stage of his career.

Got recorded tonight. Should have it on the website tomorrow

Going to listen now in preparation for the semi against the manky mob. From all Jambo's, cheers for this. Hope you do more interviews going ahead.

Skippy Doodle
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Going to listen now in preparation for the semi against the manky mob. From all Jambo's, cheers for this. Hope you do more interviews going ahead.

Haha cheers if I’m honest John was brilliant but I was very rusty. Been 3 years since my last interview

been here before

I dont often listen to these things but its John Colquhoun. Im about an hour in and very impressed. Interesting to hear his thoughts on players not trying, sports science, ex team mates (difficult to disagree with his thoughts on H) and he speaks warmly of Fashanu. Nice to hear Brian Whittaker get a mention.

Looking forward to hearing the rest. Good work.

Skippy Doodle
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

I dont often listen to these things but its John Colquhoun. Im about an hour in and very impressed. Interesting to hear his thoughts on players not trying, sports science, ex team mates (difficult to disagree with his thoughts on H) and he speaks warmly of Fashanu. Nice to hear Brian Whittaker get a mention.

Looking forward to hearing the rest. Good work.

He was a pleasure to deal with and made my job very easy and at time nearly redundant haha which I like. These chats should be dominated by the guest and not the host (who quite frankly you are not interested in)

On 28/10/2020 at 22:39, Smith's right boot said:

**** I feel old now. 

I did that with my ex when we played Athens. 👍

Skippy Doodle

If you have had time to check out the interview please leave me some feedback. (Especially about the Millwall story) 

next one should be with Jimmy sandison to look back at season 90-91

Skippy Doodle
3 hours ago, moonraker said:

Fantastic to listen to, calm and rational but cannot hide the passion.

Cheers mate. Any particular stories or anecdotes you enjoyed?

20 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

For me it was the confirmation that hibs expect to be beaten by us😁😆

Great listen, keep up the good work. 

Edited by TypoonJambo

I really enjoyed that 🙂

As for many JC was a favourite for me. Classy, fantastically effective, consistent and gutsy. Of course he always came across as a smart cookie and the interview is no different. I liked his analysis on the footballers mentality verus our outside perspective, so that takeovers, downing tools etc have very little bearing on the average footballer's mentality. Also a good analysis of the change in the football supporter from active participant to passive spectator expecting to be entertained to Champions League standard. I enjoyed the Fashanu stories and some of the other small insights into characters we only know from a Saturday afternoon. If he had said anything at the time then hundreds would have volunteered to drive his car up for him from Sunderland when he moved 🙂

Skippy Doodle
19 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

For me it was the confirmation that hibs expect to be beaten by us😁😆

Great listen, keep up the good work. 

I couldn’t resist asking him about hibs haha

Skippy Doodle
18 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I really enjoyed that 🙂

As for many JC was a favourite for me. Classy, fantastically effective, consistent and gutsy. Of course he always came across as a smart cookie and the interview is no different. I liked his analysis on the footballers mentality verus our outside perspective, so that takeovers, downing tools etc have very little bearing on the average footballer's mentality. Also a good analysis of the change in the football supporter from active participant to passive spectator expecting to be entertained to Champions League standard. I enjoyed the Fashanu stories and some of the other small insights into characters we only know from a Saturday afternoon. If he had said anything at the time then hundreds would have volunteered to drive his car up for him from Sunderland when he moved 🙂

I was trying to discuss a particular season with John so it gave an opportunity to discuss other incidents and players that that don’t get discussed much like leitch and Jim weir. Loved his Millwall story haha

4 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Just the whole thing, his description of the atmosphere at Tynie resonated I guess. I loved him as a player and years later my brother in law( not a football fan) came into contact with him in Stirling through my neices school. He said, he was just a brilliant guy.