David Syme (ref) dead

neilnunb

Always remember this...

"Current Rangers chairman Douglas Park was on the Hearts board in 1988 when he locked Syme in the changing room following a dramatic clash at Tynecastle against Gers."

🤭🤫

14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Always remember this...

"Current Rangers chairman Douglas Park was on the Hearts board in 1988 when he locked Syme in the changing room following a dramatic clash at Tynecastle against Gers."

🤭🤫

I vaguely recall that game and the awful refereeing and I’m sure even Scotsport said something like “watch this and make your own mind up”.

Shite ref but sad news. RIP

RIP and all that, but by god, he was a shite ref. Remember him and Bob Valentine stinking out many a Scottish game in the early 80s.

Fort Vallance

Wouldn't wish anyone dead and sorry for his family. But he was as guilty as anyone for the continuing corruption during that generation particularly.

Never liked the guy as a referee. If you had him and you were playing Rangers you got nothing. Sad news for his family, but I’m afraid I had little time for him.I’m sure that at McCoists retrial doo he dropped his trousers at the doo as a way of making money for McCoist. Says so much about him.

Edited by Deevers

5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Never liked the guy as a referee. If you had him and you were playing Rangers you got nothing. Sad news for his family, but I’m afraid I had little time for him.I’m sure that at McCoists retrial doo he dropped his trousers at the doo as a way of making money for McCoist. Says so much about him.

Did his dad or grandfather not play for Celtic ?

Just now, Largo said:

Did his dad or grandfather not play for Celtic ?

Sure one of his relations was a referee in the 50s/60s.

Was it Syme that gave a penalty to Dunfermline in the LC SF against Airdrie in 1991? It was at Tynecastle and was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a match. Jimmy Sandison chested the ball down outside the box - handball, penalty was the decision given! 

In contrast to his performances on the park I met him a couple of times whilst delivering to him and he was an absolute gentleman. RIP Mr Syme 

6 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Was it Syme that gave a penalty to Dunfermline in the LC SF against Airdrie in 1991? It was at Tynecastle and was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a match. Jimmy Sandison chested the ball down outside the box - handball, penalty was the decision given! 

Yep, it was him.

😐😀

The 4 red cards. 

Not trying to defend the ref but,  Bruno was already on a yellow and did a foul. David weir did a fake headbutt towards the hun player,  Pointon kicked the post and swore at the ref (not sure if already booked)  and canny remember the Paul Ritchie one. 

I do know that rangers then scored a 3rd and didn't celebrate.  

8 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The 4 red cards. 

Not trying to defend the ref but,  Bruno was already on a yellow and did a foul. David weir did a fake headbutt towards the hun player,  Pointon kicked the post and swore at the ref (not sure if already booked)  and canny remember the Paul Ritchie one. 

The linesman, who must've been a hell of a lipreader or had the sharpest hearing in the world.

5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

The linesman, who must've been a hell of a lipreader or had the sharpest hearing in the world.

Think it was the kicking the post but. 

Still a farce that game, and was clearly already a farce hence why Pointon got angry.  

Just now, neilnunb said:

Was it not Gerry Evans who sent the 4 off at Ibrox?  The first game I ever left early. 😡

It was - assisted by Graeme Allison the assistant responsible for at least two red cards.

31 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Think it was the kicking the post but. 

Still a farce that game, and was clearly already a farce hence why Pointon got angry.  

Wasn't there, but the telly did well to survive Sportscene that night. The most angry I've ever been watching a game, before or since.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Only referee of that time that seemed to have it in for us.

Don't want to speak ill of the dead all the same so I will say no more. 

Sure he will be missed by many 

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Sure one of his relations was a referee in the 50s/60s.

There was a story, back in the day, when he hadn’t impressed Jock Stein with his refereeing of, I presume, a Celtic match.

Stein had approached Syme on his way off the pitch at the end of the game, and told him that he was sure “his father would be proud of him”. 
I think his father was also a referee. 
I can’t remember Syme ever being kind to us, especially in Glasgow.

Never good to hear of someone, from the sporting world dying, though.

Was it not him that missed a goal at firhilland gave a bye kick?

Pretty  sure he also gave a passback from a huge miskick against celtic from the half way line. Mightve been graeme hogg 

8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

There was a story, back in the day, when he hadn’t impressed Jock Stein with his refereeing of, I presume, a Celtic match.

Stein had approached Syme on his way off the pitch at the end of the game, and told him that he was sure “his father would be proud of him”. 
I think his father was also a referee. 
I can’t remember Syme ever being kind to us, especially in Glasgow.

Never good to hear of someone, from the sporting world dying, though.

I remember that. Stein never minced his words.

I remember Dave MacPherson facing upfield at Parkhead taking a swipe at the ball. He totally mishit it - up in the air and behind him it went straight to Henry who caught it. A free kick for a deliberate pass back was given. Even so, there is not a ref out there who has never made a decision that cannot be questioned and I'm saddened to hear of the passing of one of Scottish football's colourful characters. RIP big man.

JennytheJambo
1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The 4 red cards. 

Was it not Gerry Evans the ref for that infamous game?

Sad to hear. I remember watching one game at Dens Park in the early 90s on the box when irate Dundee fans were singing loud choruses of "Syme is a b*****d". Sticks in my mind as I thought it was quite amusing on the telly.

Edited by JackLadd

2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Absolutely farcical decision. 

We all have our memories of refereeing howlers and David Syme would feature in several of mine. His worst moment v Hearts was at Parkhead when he absolutely bought Mark McGhee’s dive in the 1989 Cup QF. Alan McLaren sent off for dissent and absolute mayhem when the game restarted with Wee Tosh sent off for snapping a Celtic player then wanting to go fighting with the relatively gigantic (in comparison to Tosh) Mick McCarthy of all people. McCarthy was also red carded and we won the 10 v 9 game 1-0, but unfortunately we were 2-0 down after the penalty!

RIP, Davie, you weren’t a very good ref but you definitely had a presence and a personality. 

32 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Was it not him that missed a goal at firhilland gave a bye kick?

Pretty  sure he also gave a passback from a huge miskick against celtic from the half way line. Mightve been graeme hogg 

Les mottram

1 hour ago, JennytheJambo said:

Was it not Gerry Evans the ref for that infamous game?

OK problem solved.  

So wasn't the ref in question 

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

We all have our memories of refereeing howlers and David Syme would feature in several of mine. His worst moment v Hearts was at Parkhead when he absolutely bought Mark McGhee’s dive in the 1989 Cup QF. Alan McLaren sent off for dissent and absolute mayhem when the game restarted with Wee Tosh sent off for snapping a Celtic player then wanting to go fighting with the relatively gigantic (in comparison to Tosh) Mick McCarthy of all people. McCarthy was also red carded and we won the 10 v 9 game 1-0, but unfortunately we were 2-0 down after the penalty!

RIP, Davie, you weren’t a very good ref but you definitely had a presence and a personality. 

That was our first game after Bayern away (Celtic SCQF) and I’ll never forgive him for that. Can’t remember if it was Wallace Mercer or Alex McDonald who wanted to take the team off the pitch after the sendings off but I remember being on that terracing and shouting that we should walk off along with about 7K fellow Jambos. Not gonna lie, didn’t like him one bit but he’s passed so time to forgive if not forget.

"David FT Syme, Rutherglen" to be more accurate.   Back in the day when referees actually came from somewhere.

a safe pair of sells
8 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The 4 red cards. 

even Walter Smith told him to calm down that day! Before the game got abandoned!

I'm not saying it was him but I seem to remember it said that one of the refs about that time had a whiff of young lavender about them. 

14 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

I'm not saying it was him but I seem to remember it said that one of the refs about that time had a whiff of young lavender about them. 

McGinley?

11 hours ago, henryheart said:

I remember Dave MacPherson facing upfield at Parkhead taking a swipe at the ball. He totally mishit it - up in the air and behind him it went straight to Henry who caught it. A free kick for a deliberate pass back was given. Even so, there is not a ref out there who has never made a decision that cannot be questioned and I'm saddened to hear of the passing of one of Scottish football's colourful characters. RIP big man.

I remember a very similar thing in a game at Motherwell, this time we benefitted, and I think we scored from the free kick. Refs seemed to have the same trouble with that law as they're having with handball at the moment.

1 hour ago, crunchy frog said:

Superb mate.

I’m sure that his father did our games in the sixties. There was a cadre of referees then who gave us nothing when playing against the OldFirm. Anyone else from that era remember JPR Gordon? One of them had the temerity to boast at his retrial do that his proudest achievement in refereeing was never to have officiated at Rangers game where they had lost. 

6 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

"David FT Syme, Rutherglen" to be more accurate.   Back in the day when referees actually came from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Le Chat said:

A cheating ******* who hated Hearts.

2 + 2 = 🤔

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

I’m sure that his father did our games in the sixties. There was a cadre of referees then who gave us nothing when playing against the OldFirm. Anyone else from that era remember JPR Gordon? One of them had the temerity to boast at his retrial do that his proudest achievement in refereeing was never to have officiated at Rangers game where they had lost. 

😂

Awful ref.

There was a joke around 1989 that Syme must have abandoned a match, got home early, and found his Mrs in bed with a Jambo. Definitely felt like he had issues with HMFC. 

RIP, regardless. 

My favourite ref bias story was Alex Ferguson's recollection of chasing a ball whilst playing for Rangers. He fell over the byline whilst failing to keep it in, looked up at the linesman who said "it's a'right, Fergie, it's oor baw". 

Edited by martoon

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Pretty sure he sent Sandy Clarke off for nothing, up at Tannadice. Terrible referee and hated Hearts.

Also remember rumours of him going into Easter Road, on derby day, wearing a green and white scarf, can't remember if he was the ref that day.