Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Mikey1874

• 1971fozzy

• Pans Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's to do with with when Rangers died : DUFC fans had some belters***  to wind them up and also DUFC themselves disputed a development fee for a player they signed from Sevco , saying Sevco was a new club and so couldn't possibly claim a fee based on 4/5/6 years development  (IIRC) :rofl:

Charlie Telfer ??

Guest ToqueJambo

They've always been one of the top candidates to go bust the way they've been spending the last couple of years and with the owner they've got.

The really funny thing about this is staying down in the Championship might have actually been better for them. They wouldn't have been tempted to spend the way they have and they could have sold Shankland during that brief period of Shankland-mania last season to pay down a lot of their debt. They could have budgeted to stay within their means while the pandemic was on. Instead any financial benefit of promotion has been lost in their massive over-spending to build what looks like a very shit team.

Oh well. Dundee to follow then listen to the Dundee merger talk ramp up. They're practically one club anyhow the way Dundee voted them their title.

15 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Article has been updated:

United owner Mark Ogren last night broke months of silence to insist he remains committed to the club. 

But has warned his pot of cash isn’t limitless.  

He said: “I’ve got limited funds. We need to figure this out.

“But I don’t want to scare people into thinking we’re going away because that is not the case.

"We’re going to figure this out but we’ll need help from the government, our fans and everybody at the club.

The brass neck  of charlatans like him seems to have no limit.       They've spent way beyond their means......  the BCD is going to last much longer than they thought .....  and  yet they want the government to bail them out.  **** right off. Get these 2 blokes to do a 6 month sponsored  walk, or something.

15 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

“The first phase we had budgeted for so we anticipated it but we didn’t budget for this second phase. 

“It has no effect on my commitment to Dundee United. We are absolutely not up for sale.” 

:rofl:   Aye... right. 

:glorious:      

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Here it is 

In his first interview of 2020, the American-based chairman has exclusively revealed that “everything is on the table” apart from redundancies as employees – players and management included – face the prospect of wage cuts.

Ogren made no attempt to camouflage his dismay at the Scottish Government’s reluctance to allow a graduated return of supporters into football grounds, as well as their lack of financial support for the country’s professional clubs.

He has invested millions of pounds into United since taking over but stressed that those funds are “limited”.

Fans can rest assured that a ‘for sale’ sign is not going up at the stadium, however, with Ogren’s commitment to the Tangerines unwavering.

March to October was the first phase of the coronavirus-hit Dundee United, with his support and furlough grants ensuring it was negotiated with minimum impact on staff. Now the second phase is beginning and it will be more painful.

“The first phase we had budgeted for so we anticipated it but we didn’t budget for this second phase,” said Ogren.

“We expected some fans back.  As a result we’re doing a total review of the club’s finances and we’re going to be implementing some cost-cutting measures for the short term and the medium term to counteract what is happening.

“We have to plan now for the worst-case scenario of no fans this season. We’d like to think there will be fans in the ground before then but we can’t plan for it.

“We’d also like to think there will be some government assistance coming but we can’t plan for that either.

“We’re assessing everything from top to bottom.”

The process of consulting employees has begun – with only one red line.

“I’d like to think that redundancies are off the table,” said Ogren.

“We want to do everything we can to protect people and their jobs. But we just don’t know how bad this is going to be.

“This will impact everybody, no matter who you are and what position you have in the club. We appreciate you and thank you for your understanding in what will be your personal sacrifice.”

Ogren is the joint owner of an American baseball team, the Sioux Falls Canaries, and they have been put up for sale recently. But United fans should not take that as a sign of something similar happening with their club – the exact opposite, in fact.

“It has no effect on my commitment to Dundee United. We are absolutely not up for sale.

“We’re looking for local ownership (of the Canaries). It’s four hours from my home but I get there so occasionally. I’m not as plugged into that club as I should be. I’m focused more on Dundee United.

“I go to Scotland more often than I go to there. I’m as committed as ever, no question about it. It’s killing me that I’m not over there.

“I feel horrible for our fans. We haven’t been able to properly celebrate our promotion or get into any of our Premiership games that we fought so hard to be a part of.

“I feel their pain. I’m the same way. I haven’t been over there since February when we played Arbroath.”

Ogren added: “I’ve got limited funds. We need to figure this out.

“But I don’t want to scare people into thinking we’re going away because that is not the case.

“There were a lot of concerns about what the future was going to look like before I got involved.

“We’re going to figure this out but we’ll need help from the government, our fans and everybody at the club.”

Ogren wants to see the Scottish football community find a collective voice to encourage the Scottish government to understand, and react to, the crisis that is playing out.

“We’ve waited as long as possible in the hope that something was going to happen,” he said.

“There was talk of getting fans back but so far that’s all it has been – talk. We don’t have any action.

“Just to be clear, we’re only doing this because of Covid but I do have concerns for the future of Scottish football.

“How can businesses continue to operate when customers are banned? In this case our fans. That’s a recipe for disaster quite frankly.

“I don’t understand why we can’t do it.

“I know there are people who think differently but these are all open venues, we have protocols in place and there have been successful trials. We can accommodate fans safely.

“We’re not asking to fill our stadium to capacity but let’s gradually get supporters back in and prove that we can do it.

“Fans need to reach out and tell the government that this is important to them.

“We need financial assistance from them.

“Scottish football is a way of life. I can’t tell you how many times I was told that when I bought the club. The government needs to understand that and fans need to keep telling them.”

There are many sceptics who would scoff at the notion of turning a profit at a club the size of United but Ogren hasn’t given up on that idea. He believes it can still be done.

“I do,” he insisted. “Absolutely.

“It’s hard to make money and that’s why the academy is such a big part of our plan. It’s vital.

“It will potentially be affected like every other area of the club – everything is on the table right now. But we’re committed to our academy.

“Investing in Scottish football isn’t a get rich quick scheme.

“There’s a risk involved and I was told many times that I should get my head examined. I was told that if I wanted to make money this was not the way to do it.

“It was a risk I was willing to accept because I had faith in our plan and I had faith in our fans. They have been awesome.

‘Dundee United are going to survive but it could get messy’

“What I can’t accept is the government saying we can’t have any of those fans in our stadium without financial support to assist us. It’s hurting us badly – not just us but the rest of Scottish football.

“Is Dundee United going to survive? Yes it’s going to survive, but it could get messy.

“I didn’t invest in this cub to see it go away. We’re going to do what we have to do to survive this.”

It isn’t just getting supporters into Tannadice that needs to happen, it’s getting them into Tannadice in “meaningful” numbers.

“Five hundred isn’t meaningful and actually it would cause us more of a problem than help us,” he said. “It wouldn’t meet our costs.

“If it’s 500 to start, then great. But let’s also have a plan to ratchet that up incrementally so we can have something meaningful.

“We’ve got over 5,000 season ticket holders and our goal would be to get them in. We all rely heavily on match day revenue.”

It was around about this time last year that United posted a financial loss of over £3 million in their annual accounts.

Unsurprisingly, the figures are going to make grim reading in 2020.

“We’re definitely going to have another loss,” said Ogren. “It’s just a question of how big.

“We haven’t finalised the books. We got hurt badly at the end of last year and it will be bad again.”

Ogren’s message to Dundee United employees is this.

“I’d like to thank them for their understanding in anticipation of the cuts that are coming at the club.

“I appreciate their personal sacrifice and I’m more committed to them and the club than ever.”

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

There are many sceptics who would scoff at the notion of turning a profit at a club the size of United but Ogren hasn’t given up on that idea. He believes it can still be done.

“It’s hard to make money and that’s why the academy is such a big part of our plan. It’s vital.

“It will potentially be affected like every other area of the club – everything is on the table right now. But we’re committed to our academy.

Investing in Scottish football isn’t a get rich quick scheme.

“There’s a risk involved and I was told many times that I should get my head examined. I was told that if I wanted to make money this was not the way to do it.

Holy shit! There it is in black and white. He actually thinks he can make money from D Utd. He genuinely thinks he can bring youth players through to sell and buy and sell players at a profit - and that seems to be his whole business strategy. 

This is going to be very messy for them. I would like to join everyone else in expressing my complete lack of sympathy.

Edited by ToqueJambo

If I was the Government, I'd insist that Shankland is sold and there is a balanced budget with a commitment to stay balanced for 20 years. In return for some money. 

Same as what UK Government are doing with Transport for London.

Edited by Mikey1874

Guest ToqueJambo

There's real panic in the tone of some of those Courier quotes. Benefited from ending the season early and was a willing participant in punishing a few teams so others could benefit financially, then voted against the reconstruction that could have redressed some of the balance. Karma.

18Jambo_dave74

I’m looking forward to reading Fraser Wishart’s comment’s on this...

In the meantime, hopefully those two ***** are looking out their walking boots again. 

41 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Ideal situation here would be a Dundee merger, then two months later the new club goes bust as well.  

like your thinking 👍

3 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

I’m looking forward to reading Fraser Wishart’s comment’s on this...

In the meantime, hopefully those two ***** are looking out their walking boots again. 

ha ha ha ha. They'll need to circumnavigate the globe a few times to pay off the debts Ashgar has accumulated at that club. Idiots!!

19 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

They are well and truly screwed 🤞😂🤞

Play the kids. Break even. Tough when you're spending £millions over budget with crowds in. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
28 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Here it is 

In his first interview of 2020, the American-based chairman has exclusively revealed that “everything is on the table” apart from redundancies as employees – players and management included – face the prospect of wage cuts.

Ogren made no attempt to camouflage his dismay at the Scottish Government’s reluctance to allow a graduated return of supporters into football grounds, as well as their lack of financial support for the country’s professional clubs.

He has invested millions of pounds into United since taking over but stressed that those funds are “limited”.

Fans can rest assured that a ‘for sale’ sign is not going up at the stadium, however, with Ogren’s commitment to the Tangerines unwavering.

March to October was the first phase of the coronavirus-hit Dundee United, with his support and furlough grants ensuring it was negotiated with minimum impact on staff. Now the second phase is beginning and it will be more painful.

“The first phase we had budgeted for so we anticipated it but we didn’t budget for this second phase,” said Ogren.

“We expected some fans back.  As a result we’re doing a total review of the club’s finances and we’re going to be implementing some cost-cutting measures for the short term and the medium term to counteract what is happening.

“We have to plan now for the worst-case scenario of no fans this season. We’d like to think there will be fans in the ground before then but we can’t plan for it.

“We’d also like to think there will be some government assistance coming but we can’t plan for that either.

“We want to do everything we can to protect people and their jobs. But we just don’t know how bad this is going to be.

“This will impact everybody, no matter who you are and what position you have in the club. We appreciate you and thank you for your understanding in what will be your personal sacrifice.”

Ogren is the joint owner of an American baseball team, the Sioux Falls Canaries, and they have been put up for sale recently. But United fans should not take that as a sign of something similar happening with their club – the exact opposite, in fact.

“It has no effect on my commitment to Dundee United. We are absolutely not up for sale.

“We’re looking for local ownership (of the Canaries). It’s four hours from my home but I get there so occasionally. I’m not as plugged into that club as I should be. I’m focused more on Dundee United.

“I go to Scotland more often than I go to there. I’m as committed as ever, no question about it. It’s killing me that I’m not over there.

“I feel horrible for our fans. We haven’t been able to properly celebrate our promotion or get into any of our Premiership games that we fought so hard to be a part of.

“I feel their pain. I’m the same way. I haven’t been over there since February when we played Arbroath.”

“There were a lot of concerns about what the future was going to look like before I got involved.

“We’re going to figure this out but we’ll need help from the government, our fans and everybody at the club.”

Ogren wants to see the Scottish football community find a collective voice to encourage the Scottish government to understand, and react to, the crisis that is playing out.

“We’ve waited as long as possible in the hope that something was going to happen,” he said.

“There was talk of getting fans back but so far that’s all it has been – talk. We don’t have any action.

“Just to be clear, we’re only doing this because of Covid but I do have concerns for the future of Scottish football.

“How can businesses continue to operate when customers are banned? In this case our fans. That’s a recipe for disaster quite frankly.

“I know there are people who think differently but these are all open venues, we have protocols in place and there have been successful trials. We can accommodate fans safely.

“We’re not asking to fill our stadium to capacity but let’s gradually get supporters back in and prove that we can do it.

“Scottish football is a way of life. I can’t tell you how many times I was told that when I bought the club. The government needs to understand that and fans need to keep telling them.”

“It was a risk I was willing to accept because I had faith in our plan and I had faith in our fans. They have been awesome.

“What I can’t accept is the government saying we can’t have any of those fans in our stadium without financial support to assist us. It’s hurting us badly – not just us but the rest of Scottish football.

“Is Dundee United going to survive? Yes it’s going to survive, but it could get messy.

“I didn’t invest in this cub to see it go away. We’re going to do what we have to do to survive this.”

It isn’t just getting supporters into Tannadice that needs to happen, it’s getting them into Tannadice in “meaningful” numbers.

“Five hundred isn’t meaningful and actually it would cause us more of a problem than help us,” he said. “It wouldn’t meet our costs.

“If it’s 500 to start, then great. But let’s also have a plan to ratchet that up incrementally so we can have something meaningful.

“We’ve got over 5,000 season ticket holders and our goal would be to get them in. We all rely heavily on match day revenue.”

It was around about this time last year that United posted a financial loss of over £3 million in their annual accounts.

“We’re definitely going to have another loss,” said Ogren. “It’s just a question of how big.

“We haven’t finalised the books. We got hurt badly at the end of last year and it will be bad again.”

“I’d like to thank them for their understanding in anticipation of the cuts that are coming at the club.

“I appreciate their personal sacrifice and I’m more committed to them and the club than ever.”

Dead

Bazzas right boot

It's alarming how clubs and the guys at the top of Scottish football have not seen this coming. 

The short sightedness and selfishness of most clubs still astounds me. 

For Utd themselves-shit happens, Ehh? 

No sympathy for any club that voted in a way that harmed another - nae ****ing luck, reap what you sew, *****. 

Can we not put a £500k bid in for Shankland just to really wind up their fans. Actually, £150k- they appear to be desperate 😂😂.

59 minutes ago, redjambo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20595802

"The Rangers Supporters' Assembly had urged fans not to attend, mainly over United's vocal opposition to Rangers' application to join the Scottish Premier League.

Some Ibrox fans have pinpointed Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson as being one of the most outspoken figures on the subject of relaunched Rangers seeking membership of the top flight in the summer.

And the Assembly is still angered by Thompson's refusal to refund Rangers fans for tickets when a match at Tannadice in November 2009 was abandoned at half-time because of a waterlogged pitch."

42 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's to do with with when Rangers died : DUFC fans had some belters***  to wind them up and also DUFC themselves disputed a development fee for a player they signed from Sevco , saying Sevco was a new club and so couldn't possibly claim a fee based on 4/5/6 years development  (IIRC) :rofl:

*** Their fans singing "Zombie" at Sevco fans on live TV when Deidco got back to the Prem. 

There might have been something to do with a match programme too (not sure). 

Cheers. I've seen loads of Huns in social media getting stuck into them didn't realise the hatred went back to the old club. They'd better get on the phone to Celtic like their neighbours have done, see if they can get some cast offs and a few lucrative friendlies. 

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Here it is 

How are these clubs expecting fans back in any significant number soon. 

Not the only club say they are disappointed in the government etc. 

What is it with football and demanding crowds, man Utd say they can host 23500 and are confused why it's not allowed as well. 

I'm all for a phased return and trying to get things as normal as possible, but ffs crowds in any way  other than a few hundred are clearly not happening and big crowds  haven't seriously been on the cards for months, common sense dictates that. 

How is this catching clubs out now? 

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The brass neck  of charlatans like him seems to have no limit.       They've spent way beyond their means......  the BCD is going to last much longer than they thought .....  and  yet they want the government to bail them out.  **** right off. Get these 2 blokes to do a 6 month sponsored  walk, or something.

:rofl:   Aye... right. 

:glorious:      

The brass neck of football clubs to ask for help is ****ing ridiculous. 

Buy players give out x £000's a week to players then ask for help while "normal" workers especially in the entertainment, travel, hospitality, catering etc are on the dole. 

After voting against reconstruction that might have mitigated the effects as well. 

**** off ya *****. 

Utd are small fry compared to sone teams, but still cheeky as ****. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What is it with football and demanding crowds, man Utd say they can host 23500 and are confused why it's not allowed as well. 

I'm all for a phased return and trying to get things as normal as possible, but ffs crowds in any way  other than a few hundred are clearly not happening and big crowds  haven't seriously been on the cards for months, common sense dictates that. 

their tinpot shitehole ground would only hold about 500 with social distancing so as he says it’s not worth their while 🤣

they're Donald ducked and this covid isn’t going away soon.  Expect Ron the Con is having an itchy rectum as well.  Buying a club and this pandemic ruining their money making plans. Actually costing them millions . Plenty more medicine for them all to take

Geddyalexneil

Hell mend them.

As for asking for tax money from the public  I hope they are told to do one!

Can't they get one of the Lorraine Kelly's to help them😁?

Cheeky bar stewards.

Enjoy your medicine ratbags!

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

their tinpot shitehole ground would only hold about 500 with social distancing so as he says it’s not worth their while 🤣

they're Donald ducked and this covid isn’t going away soon.  Expect Ron the Con is having an itchy rectum as well.  Buying a club and this pandemic ruining their money making plans. Actually costing them millions . Plenty more medicine for them all to take

Any clubs without - 

A huge TV deal. 

Large cash reserves relative to their financial situation. 

A owner that is able and willing to help out.... 

Are going to be in the shite, piles of it. 

Edit--shite house clubs like Hamilton might be OK as well. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Horatio Caine
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

All I can see is a race to be the 1st club to get a 15 point deduction.

Luvvly jubbly.

They won't get that.  After all, it would be unfair to penalise any club as a result of a pandemic, wouldn't it?

44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dundee could be tier 3, even 4.

No fans at Tannadice till the clocks change. 

This owner bloke will be in tears then.

Tough.

1 minute ago, Horatio Caine said:

They won't get that.  After all, it would be unfair to penalise any club as a result of a pandemic, wouldn't it?

It would indeed.  No responsible organisation would even contemplate that.🙄

11 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

All I can see is a race to be the 1st club to get a 15 point deduction.

Luvvly jubbly.

Won't happen, they decided that is off the table due to Covid-19.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

That club was heading for financial trouble well before a single bat left its cave in Wuhan Province.

It's truly heartbreaking the way things are going for them, especially as none of this could have been predicted.

source.gif

8 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Can imagine other teams that budget on away fans must be struggling too 

Oh, that would be a shame.

tenor-1.gif

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think many (not all) football clubs are acting just like the pubs now.    Easier to  blame the government instead of their  customers.

Despite rates of infections/hospitalisation/deaths rising as we head into winter, they're claiming that it's got nothing to do with them just because they've put measure in place to reduce the risk of cross-infection among customers & staff.    None of them are willing to acknowledge that the main  reason for all these restrictions in the first place is because a  section of the  population   are pure & simple numpties who can't be trusted to follow the basic rules of protecting themselves and those around them when they gather in groups at venues (like pubs and football matches)        300 house parties per week for the police to try to break up - it seems some folk think it's just a cold that you can take a Lemsip for.

32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe they could ask their £400k/year administrator how he is getting on with his negotiations with the First Minister. 

They backed him so let the able man work his magic. 

Of course, they could have been more supportive of the person who spoke candidly about the true picture facing Scottish clubs and who brought the only meaningful cash into the game via James Anderson. 

I sometimes wonder how any of these guys got rich in the first place. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I think many (not all) football clubs are acting just like the pubs now.    Easier to  blame the government instead of their  customers.

Despite rates of infections/hospitalisation/deaths rising as we head into winter, they're claiming that it's got nothing to do with them just because they've put measure in place to reduce the risk of cross-infection among customers & staff.    None of them are willing to acknowledge that the main  reason for all these restrictions in the first place is because a  section of the  population   are pure & simple numpties who can't be trusted to follow the basic rules of protecting themselves and those around them when they gather in groups at venues (like pubs and football matches)        300 house parties per week for the police to try to break up - it seems some folk think it's just a cold that you can take a Lemsip for.

I get your gist but I think big crowds are just a no, no science, stats etc just common sense. Thousands of folk marching into one area for football, rally, concert aplay  etc is just the opposite of what should be done. 

20 folk sitting at tables eating or having a pint spread  out a pub is a different matter. I can see both sides, but mass gatherings, ffs it's just not happening soon despite me and most others wanting it to happen. 

20 minutes ago, graygo said:

Won't happen, they decided that is off the table due to Covid-19.

You give the SPFL clubs far to much credit 😀

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Time to check the attic for old programmes.

Third Lanark ones appear to be quite rare in collectors' circles. Imagine what Dundee United ones will fetch when they effectively voted themselves up a division only to spend themselves into oblivion with a squad full of dross and a manager with the worst case of nominative determinism I've seen in years.

I confess I had to look up what normative determinism means. 

You're absolutely spot on 👏👏👏😁

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Maybe they could ask their £400k/year administrator how he is getting on with his negotiations with the First Minister. 

They backed him so let the able man work his magic. 

Of course, they could have been more supportive of the person who spoke candidly about the true picture facing Scottish clubs and who brought the only meaningful cash into the game via James Anderson. 

I sometimes wonder how any of these guys got rich in the first place. 

Yip. 

Look no further than Trump. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I confess I had to look up what normative determinism means. 

You're absolutely spot on 👏👏👏😁

JKB, every day is a school day. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I get your gist but I think big crowds are just a no, no science, stats etc just common sense. Thousands of folk marching into one area for football, rally, concert aplay  etc is just the opposite of what should be done. 

20 folk sitting at tables eating or having a pint spread  out a pub is a different matter. I can see both sides, but mass gatherings, ffs it's just not happening soon despite me and most others wanting it to happen. 

Yes, I agree with you on that part - isn't having a pint with a meal   being allowed at Tier 1 (maybe even Tier 2 also ?) up till 6pm or something like that ?    I do think the restriction on time is a bit questionable though.   If the rule is "drink only with a meal", then why not extend it to to 9pm ?   The level of demand for visits to pubs/restaurants at this time is a bit of an unknown though.