Royal Mail Jobs/ Permanent Part Time/ Xmas Temps/Casuals.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

I know this is not for everyone but to those on Furlough and are facing real possibilities of being made redundant by their employer, Royal Mail are looking for Xmas temps over the Xmas pressure.

Good rates of pay and overtime is always available.  

Or if its a new job they are recruiting part time posties, again good rates of pay and overtime is there too. Must have a driving licence  for part time delivery posties.

Apply here;

https://jobs.royalmailgroup.com/job/EDINBURGH-Christmas-Casual-Edinburgh-Mail-Centre-EH11-4YY/616473401/  

• 4 weeks later...
Heartsmad1874

Been offered a sorting job at Royal Mail doing night shift 2200-0600, Mon-Fri.

Is it worth giving up my current job? Contracted to 16 but most weeks work 35-40. Wage for night shift at Royal Mail is 10p less than what i get currently for working during the day.

Also with Royal Mail it seems like it will be just for Christmas and leave me inbetween jobs again at an uncertain time.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

16 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Been offered a sorting job at Royal Mail doing night shift 2200-0600, Mon-Fri.

Is it worth giving up my current job? Contracted to 16 but most weeks work 35-40. Wage for night shift at Royal Mail is 10p less than what i get currently for working during the day.

Also with Royal Mail it seems like it will be just for Christmas and leave me inbetween jobs again at an uncertain time.

Wrecking sleeping patterns and potentially having no job after for 10p less... i wouldn't.

Unless you have plans to join them down the line then don't bother.

If you look to join, the best thing about RM from my experience was getting out on walks and effectively exercising, the worst bit was working tenement flats in the city centre. If you are a temp or just doing dayshift you'd often find perm staff on nights had done the bare minimum to sort out any of the mail for your route. 

Only other two things i can think of - a gig in a residential area that's mostly houses is better & a shift on vans used to be great.

Its worth it if you are really struggling, I worked Christmas temp a couple times when I was a student for some extra cash.

Both times I chose nights first time was 4 weeks in total in the sorting office. Second time was meant to be the same but turned out 2-3 months due too a bad winter so ended up out delivering the mail instead. 

I quite enjoyed it if I am honest. 

31 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Its worth it if you are really struggling, I worked Christmas temp a couple times when I was a student for some extra cash.

Both times I chose nights first time was 4 weeks in total in the sorting office. Second time was meant to be the same but turned out 2-3 months due too a bad winter so ended up out delivering the mail instead. 

I quite enjoyed it if I am honest. 

Which position is best for rifling through cards for money without getting caught?

Did this about 10 year ago and loved it, though agency work afterwards I eventually got a job with their partners, parcelforce and still working with them .  

xmas work with RM was great, couldn’t recommend it enough . Might lead to a permanent role for folk who are out of work. 👍

I’ve been at rm for 9 years now and this will easily be the worst Christmas ever! The company is being destroyed from the inside and the staff are being treated very poorly. Avoid!

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, jamboy1982 said:

I’ve been at rm for 9 years now and this will easily be the worst Christmas ever! The company is being destroyed from the inside and the staff are being treated very poorly. Avoid!

Think i'll stick with Sainsburys for now. Not keen on night shift anyway but even less so for less money p\h.

1 hour ago, jamboy1982 said:

This annoys me,

People sit and moan about a job/company but are happy to stay there for years. Your probably one of the ones that sit in the canteen moaning about changes and how it's no like it used to be. 

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

This annoys me,

People sit and moan about a job/company but are happy to stay there for years. Your probably one of the ones that sit in the canteen moaning about changes and how it's no like it used to be. 

We don’t have a canteen. I actually enjoy many aspects of the job. I don’t enjoy the attempts to destroy the union and all workers rights. I don’t like the company’s behaviour since being privatised. 

it’s good that you can evaluate a person based on a couple of sentences! 

10 hours ago, jamboy1982 said:

We don’t have a canteen. I actually enjoy many aspects of the job. I don’t enjoy the attempts to destroy the union and all workers rights. I don’t like the company’s behaviour since being privatised. 

it’s good that you can evaluate a person based on a couple of sentences! 

Break room then. Unions are a load of shite aswell. They dont negotiate pay deals they just arselick the managers. Anyway could you not have said the actual job is awright which as a temp that's all that matters instead of moaning about the company?

3 hours ago, Herbert said:

Break room then. Unions are a load of shite aswell. They dont negotiate pay deals they just arselick the managers. Anyway could you not have said the actual job is awright which as a temp that's all that matters instead of moaning about the company?

CWU ?

I think some unions struggle a lot these days - companies dig in a lot and the balance of power has moved as striking is difficult to justify.  The problem then becomes the disillusionment and people give up on them. 

I have stuck with my union but view it as an insurance policy in case of any trouble. 

5 hours ago, Herbert said:

Sounds like you don't really know a lot about unions. 

Heartsmad1874
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

probably be hundreds going for the jobs.☹️.

I think personally they are taking advantage of that fact by offering such low rates for shifts like night shift knowing most people won't turn it down.

52 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I think personally they are taking advantage of that fact by offering such low rates for shifts like night shift knowing most people won't turn it down.

Aye probably, never known such a bad time for jobs, a lot of people in need of a job,

desperate times indeed.

7 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Sounds like you don't really know a lot about unions. 

I've been in enough jobs where the union rep had a office in the managers arse. Give us your money so we can stay silent in any disciplinary action, That should be the universal motto of any union.

13 hours ago, Herbert said:

I've been in enough jobs where the union rep had a office in the managers arse. Give us your money so we can stay silent in any disciplinary action, That should be the universal motto of any union.

You don't have a clue what a real union does then. That Union rep wouldn't survive in a real union as the union (the members that form it) would kick him out on his arse.