Man Cave/Garden Pubs/Shebeen's etc.

Pans Jambo

For quite a while now, I have been thinking of building a "pub" in my garden. Even more so now actual pubs are shut (& shit with all the table service, no mixing and mask wearing when you go for a pish etc.).

I know a lot of folks have done this. Usually a wooden construction, insulated and has electricity ran to it from the house. Or perhaps a converted garage or similar.

Anyway, this is the place to discuss it, share ideas, tips, pictures etc. and help point each other in the right direction.

Think its too late this year for me but maybe start in late spring with a summer opening.

Great timing this thread as thinking of building one myself. Either convert my detached double garage which is basically full of shit and never seen a car or build one from scratch in the garden. Look forward to seeing any ideas. 

12 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

For quite a while now, I have been thinking of building a "pub" in my garden. Even more so now actual pubs are shut (& shit with all the table service, no mixing and mask wearing when you go for a pish etc.).

I know a lot of folks have done this. Usually a wooden construction, insulated and has electricity ran to it from the house. Or perhaps a converted garage or similar.

Anyway, this is the place to discuss it, share ideas, tips, pictures etc. and help point each other in the right direction.

Think its too late this year for me but maybe start in late spring with a summer opening.

Get the home-brewing on the go - if you're not doing so already - and you can be serving your own beer in there too! You can get decent results from a basic kit and very simple equipment and it's a lot cheaper too (around 50p a pint, once you've bought the gear).

11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Building in the pans?

You will be robbed within a week of your opening night  

Joking apart my mate in Tranent converted his garage Into a bar, pool table, darts ect... never thought I’d say I’ve had a good few days in there this year 

good luck 

Howdy Doody Jambo

You can purchase pub stuff and memorabilia on eBay, I bought a few old beer taps, trays and optics but never got round to fitting out a bar

10 minutes ago, theshed said:

Building in the pans?

You will be robbed within a week of your opening night  

Joking apart my mate in Tranent converted his garage Into a bar, pool table, darts ect... never thought I’d say I’ve had a good few days in there this year 

good luck 

Within a week???? 

The building materials will be offski before they get off the back of the delivery truck :lol:

18 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Great timing this thread as thinking of building one myself. Either convert my detached double garage which is basically full of shit and never seen a car or build one from scratch in the garden. Look forward to seeing any ideas. 

I think it depends on budget mate.

I did find this guy (Ali Dymock) on-line but hes built a massive thing with a shower, plumbed in toilet and everything in it. Looks like £12K to me.

Useful tips on the build though but I really wanted folks on here to help us with their experience.

Anyway, look at this link https://www.alidymock.com/ which has links to his youtube site that has step by step instructions and he talks about his thinking and reasons behind what he did which is quite good.

I really want to see the JKB folks efforts.

16 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

You can purchase pub stuff and memorabilia on eBay, I bought a few old beer taps, trays and optics but never got round to fitting out a bar

There will soon the plenty of it at dirt cheap prices when all the pubs go out of business. 😭

9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

There was another thread on this back in the summer, you can see some ideas in that

I missed that. Ach well, there might be more folk into it now due to the lockdown continuing.

There is a group on Facebook I've seen mentioned elsewhere which might be worth taking a look at. If you're on Facebook that is.

Pub Sheds & Man Caves it is called. Sure they will have plenty hints and tips.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Living room does me fine. 

That's the best option.  Is it not also cheaper to just get her telt? 

Here's mine....Golf Sim,Gym,Home Theatre......Had to get planning to build as needed to be tall enough to swing driver , dropped the garden level 500mm to lessen the height impact .

We designed the studio , then got a builder to build the structure , then I built the simulator myself and fitted out the interior. The room is fab for watching the sport as the screen is just under 5 Mts wide by 3mts high....happy days.....

P1020647.JPG

P1020648.JPG

P1020680.JPG

P1020686.JPG

17 minutes ago, kjm said:

Here's mine....Golf Sim,Gym,Home Theatre......Had to get planning to build as needed to be tall enough to swing driver , dropped the garden level 500mm to lessen the height impact .

We designed the studio , then got a builder to build the structure , then I built the simulator myself and fitted out the interior. The room is fab for watching the sport as the screen is just under 5 Mts wide by 3mts high....happy days.....

P1020647.JPG

P1020648.JPG

P1020680.JPG

P1020686.JPG

Are you loaded mate? Thats a cracker!

22 minutes ago, kjm said:

P1020647.JPG

P1020648.JPG

P1020680.JPG

P1020686.JPG

Welcome to Kickback Mr Anderson

:greatpost:

No deffo not loaded....lucky enough to be retired and able to do a lot of the work myself. The whole job included sorting out the garden and even the missus was happy particularly this year when we really got good use of the outdoor space.....money well spent...

Everybody Loves Baz!
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

There is a group on Facebook I've seen mentioned elsewhere which might be worth taking a look at. If you're on Facebook that is.

Pub Sheds & Man Caves it is called. Sure they will have plenty hints and tips.

There is, but I feel it's full of southern toss pots waving their cash around. Some of those builds are extension like and over 30, 40 grand.

I was asking about self building and keeping costs to under 8/900 all in for a 4x4 metre lol.

1 hour ago, kjm said:

P1020647.JPG

P1020648.JPG

P1020680.JPG

P1020686.JPG

MARRY ME!

Absolutely stunning that . The golf sim ❤️

2 hours ago, kjm said:

P1020647.JPG

P1020648.JPG

P1020680.JPG

P1020686.JPG

Need a handy man?

vlcsnap-2835925.jpg

When I moved to Osoyoos and had a house built to my needs the basement was my area. I had a fully serviced bar, a pool table and of course TV,  it was spacious enough that my wife and I could sit comfortably and watch TV. The formal living area was upstairs, so we both had a place so no disputes. It actually all just became too big a house for us so we moved to a smaller design.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

When I moved to Osoyoos and had a house built to my needs the basement was my area. I had a fully serviced bar, a pool table and of course TV,  it was spacious enough that my wife and I could sit comfortably and watch TV. The formal living area was upstairs, so we both had a place so no disputes. It actually all just became too big a house for us so we moved to a smaller design.

Basements, some with bars, are a thing in North America. Not so much in Scotland, possibly due to the water table generally being higher. 

26 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Need a handy man?

vlcsnap-2835925.jpg

26 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Need a handy man?

vlcsnap-2835925.jpg

I'll be honest and say prefer the offers of marriage. No offence of course.....

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Basements, some with bars, are a thing in North America. Not so much in Scotland, possibly due to the water table generally being higher. 

That wasn't a problem. Water was no allowed or permitted in my bar.:bobby:

3 hours ago, kjm said:

No deffo not loaded....lucky enough to be retired and able to do a lot of the work myself. The whole job included sorting out the garden and even the missus was happy particularly this year when we really got good use of the outdoor space.....money well spent...

Its a feckin beauty. Congrats sir!

OP  was asking for ideas and tips and stuff,  bout Man Caves in general,  as someone who has done this within Edinburgh am very happy to help any way I can ......pm me if you need to ask something and if I can I will help

Also happy to entertain further offers of marriage pending fotos but deffo not looking for weird handyman offers por favour.....

5 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

There is, but I feel it's full of southern toss pots waving their cash around. Some of those builds are extension like and over 30, 40 grand.

I was asking about self building and keeping costs to under 8/900 all in for a 4x4 metre lol.

Not on it myself so I wouldn't know, but that doesn't surprise me. People like to show off.

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Living room does me fine. 

😀, aye but a shed/man cave is peacefull lol.

no washing machines, tumble dryers 

15 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

😀, aye but a shed/man cave is peacefull lol.

no washing machines, tumble dryers 

Where's your couch? In the bathroom?

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You keep washing machine and tumble dryer in the bathroom ? 

Was thinking that, was struggling with a reply.🤔, my couch is in the living room next to the kitchen with

said appliances.

I've got a garden office, which will turn into a man cave when I retire 😎. The office is composite/PVC construction, which need no maintenance. It was more expensive than a wooden or self-build building, but again it came fully insulated, etc., and I only needed to add the electrics. The size is 4x3m and it came in at around 11K. I also built a deck area outside, and it has double patio doors for the summer.

I got if from GBC (Garden Building Centre) in Dobbies https://www.gbcgroup.co.uk/stores/edinburgh.

Example phot below.

Nordic Manhattan

31 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Was thinking that, was struggling with a reply.🤔, my couch is in the living room next to the kitchen with

said appliances.

As a side issue, I seen a new apartment selling for over £350K in Gullane (in the old Fire training school) that promised "modern, spacious, open-plan living".

Living room was in the bloody kitchen. So your trying to relax and watch the TV with the kettle, cooker and dish washer on in the same room.

FECK THAT!

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

As a side issue, I seen a new apartment selling for over £350K in Gullane (in the old Fire training school) that promised "modern, spacious, open-plan living".

Living room was in the bloody kitchen. So your trying to relax and watch the TV with the kettle, cooker and dish washer on in the same room.

FECK THAT!

Thats mental, handy for the golf courses though, 

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

FECK THAT!

Geez that is what I was raised in, complete silence when faither was listening to a big fight on the radio.  Mother bent over the big sink doing the washing, mother at the cooker, which was a new implement because everyone was in the road when she used the oven which was part of the range., with the gas ring just above it table was pushed back against the wall when not in use, sister sat there doing homework, nobody cared when I said I never got homework. All that is why when I retired reasonably financially secure, I had built to my wife and I our desires. My first and last was my den with bar, pool table and all my recreational needs. The wife had a massive kitchen, big bedroom I honestly think it gave her room to escape from unwanted advances, and a bathroom with a twelve foot counter two sinks and mirrors to make her tempting so she would have to run in the big bedroom. It was the answer to our dreams and made life well worth while.