Hector Nicol

Stephane Grappelli

AllyjamboDerbyshire
55 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Right about the B side. But was the Dundee song not to the old tune of Bonnie Dundee ? Bit of a misnomer that.

You could be right, and probably are, I just seem to remember hearing their song played at Dens once and thinking, that's the tune to the Hearts song. I'm sure it was Hector Nicol singing, too, so maybe that's what' stick in my memory rather than the actual tune. 

Fort Vallance
7 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Where did it happen if you don't mind me asking . I live in East Pilton . I was speaking to my partner Grandad who has lived that area all his life he cant remember it . 

For the life of me I can't remember now exactly. I had Telford in my head but now thinking Pennywell. I lived in Muirhouse and the police just did a sweep. He got called Bo.I remember that much.

Fort Vallance
54 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He might have been a weirdo but the person that kicked him in the face as he was dying isn’t exactly normal either. 

Not going to argue with that.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
18 hours ago, been here before said:

The Peter McDougall Play For Today triumvirate of Just A Boys Game, Down Amongst The Big Boys and Just Another Saturday are fantastic and well worth watching. As is A Sense of Freedom, the Jimmy Boyle film he was involved in writing. From a time when drama in TV wasnt just wall to wall  'gritty' cop or crime dramas.

Incidently Im sure auld Hector knocked out quite a few club tunes in his time. Ours, The Hubz Glorry Glory number, A Dundee thing...

6 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

If I remember correctly, the B side of our Glorious song was in fact the Hibs (scratched until unplayable) song, and the Dundee song is the same tune as ours but without the classic words.

Glad to hear we're not the only family who did that.  One of my uncles had the single and the "other side" had never been played.  When last I saw it (sometime in the ealry 70s), it would have been totally unplayable.  Sadnpaper's a wonderful tool in the right hands.

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

You could be right, and probably are, I just seem to remember hearing their song played at Dens once and thinking, that's the tune to the Hearts song. I'm sure it was Hector Nicol singing, too, so maybe that's what' stick in my memory rather than the actual tune. 

It was to the tune of Bonnie Dundee. 👍

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Watching those back in the 70s and very early 80s, they were fantastic short films.

I want to watch them again, I just have a fear they may look a bit hammy and dated now.

Jon Morrison was the baton thrower in Just Another Saturday.

He lóoks very different in Vera now.

Just a Boys Game "McCafferty, your tea's oot!", " Come ahead McQuillan"

:yas:

I remeber reading at the time that they couldn't find a location in Glagow.  The scene in Just Another Saturday where the band stops in "Fenian Alley", when Jon Morrison does the mace grandstanding, was actually filmed near the Chancelot Mill in Leith/Newhaven.  I haven't seen it for years but I do recall catching a glimpse of the mill.  Does that ring a bell with anybody?

Craig Herbertson

My dad backed Hector in his band for many years in various clubs. He said he was a really genuine bloke, never drank on stage, always had a cup of tea at the break. He had a lot of tragedy in his life which sadly seems to be standard for comics. Must have been a nightmare losing his son like that. He'd already lost another son.

It is quite common in show biz just to rework old songs for recordings as it saves time and money sorting out what the band are doing. He did that the with the Dundee song. It's 'Bonnie Dundee' with Hector's lyirics. Probably wrote it in ten minutes.  'The Terrors of Tannadice' is also some oldie I can't quire remember. Hibs song is just the old amercian 'John Browns Body' and sounds like it was scribbled on a beermat before he got in the studio.

In saying that, the Hearts Song is Hector's Magnum opus. It's a carefully constructed work of genius.

2 minutes ago, Craig Herbertson said:

In saying that, the Hearts Song is Hector's Magnum opus. It's a carefully constructed work of genius.

Indeed. 👍

Seaside jambo

Hectors son Paul used to be the captain of the doocot darts team ,first team I played for in the leith darts league

a good jambo as well as a good guy 

1 hour ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

I remeber reading at the time that they couldn't find a location in Glagow.  The scene in Just Another Saturday where the band stops in "Fenian Alley", when Jon Morrison does the mace grandstanding, was actually filmed near the Chancelot Mill in Leith/Newhaven.  I haven't seen it for years but I do recall catching a glimpse of the mill.  Does that ring a bell with anybody?

Yes the march was filmed down in Newhaven...the fight scene with Billy Connolly was shot outside the Lord Nelson pub inTrafalgar Street.

2 minutes ago, logopolis said:

Yes the march was filmed down in Newhaven...the fight scene with Billy Connolly was shot outside the Lord Nelson pub inTrafalgar Street.

Good pub back in the day. 

3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Where did it happen if you don't mind me asking . I live in East Pilton . I was speaking to my partner Grandad who has lived that area all his life he cant remember it . 

was on the hill path that runs between the field between craigmuir school and ferry road avenue, Bo riddell was in craigmuir and  craigroyston

20 hours ago, been here before said:

The Peter McDougall Play For Today triumvirate of Just A Boys Game, Down Amongst The Big Boys and Just Another Saturday are fantastic and well worth watching. As is A Sense of Freedom, the Jimmy Boyle film he was involved in writing. From a time when drama in TV wasnt just wall to wall  'gritty' cop or crime dramas.

Incidently Im sure auld Hector knocked out quite a few club tunes in his time. Ours, The Hubz Glorry Glory number, A Dundee thing...

Fantastic short films/plays. Well worth watching. 

I've enjoyed all of them.I still hoped dancer would get back after the fight. I'll throw a new one Into the mix.The elephants' Graveyard .A classic 

McDougall was a very clever man , I  grew up with him in Greenock .

Fact : He taught Jon Morrison how to throw the stick for the play 'Just another Saturday ' as Peter threw the stick in his younger days for the Greenock No Surrender Flute band .

4 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Old Graham street knocked down now...

4 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Also the pub scene in which bottles of whisky were being chored , from behind the bar , was the old Robbie bar on corner of iona Street....

Just Another Saturday was filmed in Leith as too dangerous for them to film anywhere in the west.

Hagar the Horrible
15 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Yeah most the play was shot in Edinburgh as the BBC were not comfortable shooting it in Glasgow, as it took a long time for them to have the bottle to even make it, as a result it kept pretty much to script

Hagar the Horrible
13 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

I've enjoyed all of them.I still hoped dancer would get back after the fight. I'll throw a new one Into the mix.The elephants' Graveyard .A classic 

he only nipped out for a loaf of bread,  dangerous stuff

Hagar the Horrible
17 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

To be fair that would be like trying to remember what bean made you fart

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Yeah most the play was shot in Edinburgh as the BBC were not comfortable shooting it in Glasgow, as it took a long time for them to have the bottle to even make it, as a result it kept pretty much to script

Street where window got smashed 

Fort Street ?

14 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

Dancer is a gut punch at the end, eh. What made it worse is you get to see his cute wee kids.   

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Street where window got smashed 

Fort Street ?

If its the scene where the old man comes to the window ( not watched the film in years )I think it's Graham Street as Hectormasson mentioned earlier.