businesses affected in gorgie due to covid

jambocall51

hi guys, I don't know if this has been discussed before about businesses in and around gorgie that would normally be selling lots of food drink etc on match days. I was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere in particular that has suffered due to the coronavirus. the reason for this is because I want to do a documentary at college about the effects the lack of football fans have had in the communities that normally we'd fill out on Saturdays. thanks in advance 

I'd suggest starting with going (or 'phoning) round the local pubs (Jessie May's, Stratford's, Tynecastle Arms, Diggers, etc.), take-away food outlets (Gorgie Fish & Chip Bar, Greggs), and cafés yourself and asking the owners directly. All of these types of businesses are the ones most likely to be affected by loss of custom on match days.

Start from the laich. 

Luckies, blagren fryer, top chef, mcdonald's, laddies, BMC club, jessie mays, Billy Hills, stratties, Gorgie express, dea desra, chippy next to other laddies, laddies, greggs, baguette express, hairdressers, launderettes, all the take away shops that hace closed down. 

Then Dalry 

Too many to mention 

6 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I'd suggest starting with going (or 'phoning) round the local pubs (Jessie May's, Stratford's, Tynecastle Arms, Diggers, etc.), take-away food outlets (Gorgie Fish & Chip Bar, Greggs), and cafés yourself and asking the owners directly. All of these types of businesses are the ones most likely to be affected by loss of custom on match days.

Might have a bit of a wait for someone to answer the door/phone at the pubs.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Might have a bit of a wait for someone to answer the door/phone at the pubs.

:jj_facepalm:   True...

In my defence, I don't live in Edinburgh or the Central-Belt anymore.

William H. Bonney

I lived in gorgie for 8 years and I don’t really think too many business are football trade reliant with perhaps the exception of a couple of pubs. 
Gorgie isn’t really a football community more a community which happens to have a football stadium. 

11 hours ago, jambocall51 said:

hi guys, I don't know if this has been discussed before about businesses in and around gorgie that would normally be selling lots of food drink etc on match days. I was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere in particular that has suffered due to the coronavirus. the reason for this is because I want to do a documentary at college about the effects the lack of football fans have had in the communities that normally we'd fill out on Saturdays. thanks in advance 

speak with some taxi drivers.. They know everything that is going on in edinburgh ... Also - Sandwich shops are so hard hit just now... Takings down from £500 to £50 a day... People are really struggling. 

Stephane Grappelli
15 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Start from the laich. 

Luckies, blagren fryer, top chef, mcdonald's, laddies, BMC club, jessie mays, Billy Hills, stratties, Gorgie express, dea desra, chippy next to other laddies, laddies, greggs, baguette express, hairdressers, launderettes, all the take away shops that hace closed down. 

Then Dalry 

Too many to mention 

Excuse my ignorance but who and what are laddies?

29 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Excuse my ignorance but who and what are laddies?

Ladbrokes bookies?

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I lived in gorgie for 8 years and I don’t really think too many business are football trade reliant with perhaps the exception of a couple of pubs. 
Gorgie isn’t really a football community more a community which happens to have a football stadium. 

My father in law runs a barbers in Dalry and he's struggling to make ends meet since opening back up despite doing well before hand. The passing trade on matchdays was generally quite good. It's not one of the trendy barber type shops so probably more down to the demographic of his core custom being either scared to come out or getting their hair cut at home. 

Reckons he'll have to wind up in the new year. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

William H. Bonney
42 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My father in law runs a barbers in Dalry and he's struggling to make ends meet since opening back up despite doing well before hand. The passing trade on matchdays was generally quite good. It's not one of the trendy barber type shops so probably more down to the demographic of his core custom being either scared to come out or getting their hair cut at home. 

That’s a shame mate. 

Shanks said no

You might want to contact Caledonian Heritable as they have Tynie Arms and the Roseburn (also hit with no rugby)

for Roseburn email [email protected]

if you are chatting to Jill send my love

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Used to get my hair cut at the barbers in the same block as Benson's when I lived in the area: that's not your father-in-law's shop is it? "Trendy" he certainly wasn't: a no-nonsense cut for £6 or so!

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Used to get my hair cut at the barbers in the same block as Benson's when I lived in the area: that's not your father-in-law's shop is it? "Trendy" he certainly wasn't: a no-nonsense cut for £6 or so!

That's the laddie, aye. 

No nonsense haircut and a bit of a slaver about the morning's red-top headlines.

He's a good lad.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

That's the laddie, aye. 

No nonsense haircut and a bit of a slaver about the morning's red-top headlines.

He's a good lad.

Indeed!  :icon14:  Used to have a good chat with him about football (shame about his affiliations... :whistling:), music, pubs, and Edinburgh stuff in general. Tell him Colin says hello (I'd lent him a book about St. Kilda years ago - he might remember me from that) and sends his regards.

On 27/10/2020 at 13:50, Auld Reekin' said:

Thanks bud 👍

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

You might want to contact Caledonian Heritable as they have Tynie Arms and the Roseburn (also hit with no rugby)

Thank you will do 👍

7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Sorry to hear that thanks for leering me know though

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Indeed!  :icon14:  Used to have a good chat with him about football (shame about his affiliations... :whistling:), music, pubs, and Edinburgh stuff in general. Tell him Colin says hello (I'd lent him a book about St. Kilda years ago - he might remember me from that) and sends his regards.

Tony says hello, Colin. :)

It is a pity about his football affiliations, but at least he is capable of objective football discussions. One of the few.

p.s. his grand kids have all been suitably indoctrinated in the Hearts way. 👍

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Tony says hello, Colin. :)

It is a pity about his football affiliations, but at least he is capable of objective football discussions. One of the few.

p.s. his grand kids have all been suitably indoctrinated in the Hearts way. 👍

:jambobanana:  Good man!   :thumbsup:

Yep, he was always objective until the subject of a certain former manager of his team cropped-up...   :whistling:   I tried never to mention him for fear of Tony becoming apoplectic whilst cutting my hair! (Didn't fancy losing an ear. :ermm:  )

image.jpeg.0d8bd545ef42445616a170c56a4471d5.jpeg

10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Is that the artist? I remember going there once and someone who works there was a great artist too 

Stephane Grappelli
On 28/10/2020 at 08:45, Van Wilder said:

Ladbrokes bookies?

Of course! Cheers. I'm hopeless at gambling so tend to avoid such establishments.

On 27/10/2020 at 19:42, GinRummy said:

Good luck with the documentary.  👍. Great to see someone tackling stuff that matters. 

thanks appreciate the support.