Converting vhs to digital

davemclaren

Looking at doing this before our old family vhs tapes turn to dust. Any recommendations for a solution that works? Would prefer one that would work on the Better half’s Macbook pro. 

The software/hardware seems to cost between £20 and about £100 but all get mixed reviews. 

Any tips or advice? 

jack D and coke

A quick google and I see what you mean...Id certainly try a budget one first. Mixed reviews but in my experience its the user who determines the end results. The £20 ones some people are giving 5 stars and they’re Mac compatible so it seems they do a job. I’d certainly give them a bash first before spending the £100 to possibly get similar results. 

edit - who’s the guy that does all the old Hearts games on here? He’ll know surely?

Edited by jack D and coke

13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

A quick google and I see what you mean...Id certainly try a budget one first. Mixed reviews but in my experience its the user who determines the end results. The £20 ones some people are giving 5 stars and they’re Mac compatible so it seems they do a job. I’d certainly give them a bash first before spending the £100 to possibly get similar results. 

edit - who’s the guy that does all the old Hearts games on here? He’ll know surely?

Good shout re @Skippy Doodle

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That wasn’t the poster I was thinking about tbh🤔

If he knows though happy days👍🏼

🥴🤷🏼‍♂️

Skippy Doodle

Hey guys. How many tapes we talking here? If it’s just a couple then I could offer to do them as I already have software or moving pictures on roseburn are very reasonable?

If you still have a vhs player the cheaper convertors I have found to work fine. I'll check what one I have and post a link. Note I used a MacBook Pro so it worked on one

9 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Hey guys. How many tapes we talking here? If it’s just a couple then I could offer to do them as I already have software or moving pictures on roseburn are very reasonable?

Got about 20 to do so looking to buy something to do them myself. Thanks though. 👍

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

If you still have a vhs player the cheaper convertors I have found to work fine. I'll check what one I have and post a link. Note I used a MacBook Pro so it worked on one

I do have a vhs player so any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Thsnks. Were you able to download any software for it to the macbook?

The software comes with it on a disk

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LGCVSWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_W4RLFbQHGDE9P

Thus is similar to the one I got. I also got a scart adaptor that took the red, yellow and white cables for a connection

@davemclaren  I'd be wary about ordering that if it doesn't mention Mac in the listing. I've got a similar one which is only for Windows, with no Mac software available.

It's a pity you didn't have a PC, as I'd have given you mine as it's just gathering dust and will probably get thrown out.

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

@davemclaren  I'd be wary about ordering that if it doesn't mention Mac in the listing. I've got a similar one which is only for Windows, with no Mac software available.

It's a pity you didn't have a PC, as I'd have given you mine as it's just gathering dust and will probably get thrown out.

Good point it was close to the one I have.

@davemclaren

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Looking at doing this before our old family vhs tapes turn to dust. Any recommendations for a solution that works? Would prefer one that would work on the Better half’s Macbook pro. 

The software/hardware seems to cost between £20 and about £100 but all get mixed reviews. 

Any tips or advice? 

Is VHS to DVD an option?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Possibly. 

Max the photo shop next to Tesco Corstorphine converts them.

Unsure of the cost.

22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Max the photo shop next to Tesco Corstorphine converts them.

Unsure of the cost.

Cheers. 

I’m looking  to do something similar to @davemclaren I have old camcorder footage of when my son was born/growing up, 20+ years old tapes and was hoping to transfer them to the hard drive on my PC, is that possible?

I'm going to stretch this further.

I have my dad's old Super 8 cine films I want digitised. Have had someone put the on  a DVD but a big drop in quality. Looking for better.

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm going to stretch this further.

I have my dad's old Super 8 cine films I want digitised. Have had someone put the on  a DVD but a big drop in quality. Looking for better.

Same principle applies, as long as you have a means of playing them with a line out mechanism.