Boyce puzzle

kingantti1874

kingantti1874

had a decent game last night especially in the second half, some of his touches and passing were excellent.

that said, he is not he 9 I thought he was going to be- the fact he wanted #10 seems to confirm he thinks the same, he plays too deep, don’t think he will get anywhere near the 20 goals I predicted before the season started.

this is a bit of a puzzle / problem We have Boyce, Naismith and Walker all trying to be a 10.

cant criticise Wighton as he has done what has been required so far.. but we really need an out and out striker.. 

He will be an out and out goal machine . Especially at home. 
he mucked in last night and did well on reflection. I’ve no worries on him getting the goals. 

I thought he played his role very well second half. Everyone was poor first half. That is a horrible place to go so happy to get the result and move on. 

He’s a baller. There’s absolutely no chance of him running the channels or chasing down lost causes. That’s Wighton’s game. Boyce needs the ball. When we play with width he’ll be in the box. There’s was zero service last night so he had to drop deeper for the ball. I think him and Wighton could form a very good partnership in time. 

As soon as Boyce clicks fully into gear the goals will flow... Only his 2nd meaningful competitive appearance of the season.

2 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

When will the strikers learn to time their run to the front post?

Yep, several crosses last night just begging for someone at front post. 

kingantti1874

I’m not criticising him at all, as posted above clear as day he is a very good player.. just think we need another forward, an actual number 9 who will run in behind and get on the end of things, get to the front post.. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Worth noting that the first quarter of the Championship season saw us draw 0-0 at Dumbarton and scrape a late winner at Alloa. 

All that matters is winning and this is especially true away from home. Prior to last night Arbroath had the best home record in Scotland outside the OF over the last 2 seasons.

As far as winning goes, thats now 8 competitive matches in a row that Robbie has won as Hearts Manager!!

Looked to me like he got frustrated with the service so dropped deeper to get involved.  I also think Wighton being on played a part in that, as he's not really done that in other games.

I get the impression he's the type of guy who'll get his goals in spells.  He'll probably go a few games without any then get 4 in 5.

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Worth noting that the first quarter of the Championship season saw us draw 0-0 at Dumbarton and scrape a late winner at Alloa. 

All that matters is winning and this is especially true away from home. Prior to last night Arbroath had the best home record in Scotland outside the OF over the last 2 seasons.

As far as winning goes, thats now 8 competitive matches in a row that Robbie has won as Hearts Manager!!

agree 100%

41 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I thought he played his role very well second half. Everyone was poor first half. That is a horrible place to go so happy to get the result and move on. 

Everyone? Smith and Gordon were poor first half? You have very high standards.

33 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not criticising him at all, as posted above clear as day he is a very good player.. just think we need another forward, an actual number 9 who will run in behind and get on the end of things, get to the front post.. 

Wighton.

We aren't going to spend any money to bring in another striker when he is scoring goals. Maybe in January if we have injuries but I'd be shocked if we do before then.

Clearly got told to play that role by the manager. He led the line against Dundee as a number 9 and then had to change his role when we went to 2 up top last night. If anything it shows that he can do both roles at a good level. Boyce is a massive player for us this season. 

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Wighton.

We aren't going to spend any money to bring in another striker when he is scoring goals. Maybe in January if we have injuries but I'd be shocked if we do before then.

Nothing but praise for Wighton, he has done what has been asked so far and hopefully will continue to grow in confidence..

I don’t think he’s that guy either though.

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Clearly got told to play that role by the manager. He led the line against Dundee as a number 9 and then had to change his role when we went to 2 up top last night. If anything it shows that he can do both roles at a good level. Boyce is a massive player for us this season. 

If that’s the case I take it back, btw - he did it very well.. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We still need to fill that 9 shirt IMO

Ive watched every competitive game this season and it remains blindingly obvious that we don’t have, and need, a target man striker. 

At some of these shitey grounds this season we are going to have to mix it up and go long at times and we don’t have that out ball available.

Kidd’s Boots
24 minutes ago, karipidis said:

It really helps having a player who can adapt like this,  as I think home and away formations will be quite different this season. Wighton capable of running the channels when we play the 2 up front and Boyce can take the ball in and distribute quickly when needed. 

I thought Boyce played well last night. At first he was a main striker and he was managing to hold the ball up from our long balls up to him but he had no support so found it difficult. He then clearly started dropping deep to get on the ball more to have an effect on the game as he was getting no decent service.

Hopefully if we can get Naismith back playing and in the number 10 role Boyce can return right up top and start banging them in. 

He played well last night but just wasn't clinical, definitely nothing to worry about. He is a smart footballer though. He came short for the goal last night and Wighton ran in behind, a tactic they both employed on a number of occasions. Saving it for the vermin! 

Bazzas right boot

Boyce played well last night. 

My biggest gripe is the amount of crosses we hit that got nowhere last night. Especially hard, low one's - anyone make a front post run?  We need a second striker, walker or Lee to get in the box for that to work tho as Boyce can't drag a defender out and make they runs. 

This was a bit better when Wighton came on, we had more space and shots in about their box. 

Boyce should have scored but was an inch or two wide, I've also noticed over the games I've seen he has a lot of shots blocked. 

He'll get goals, confidence and then bag a fair amount. 

Good player. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

He was dropping deep last night because he moved into Walker's position in the second half with Walker moving out to the wing.

Like others have said, he played the number 9 role well last week.

Edited by DC_92

He was dropping as there was very little going on behind him. His first touch is phenomenal and holds up the ball well. If we can get the ball into his feet more we will have lots of attempts from layoffs

When we signed him I thought of him as a Kris Boyd type in that he just buries every slight chance he get but footballing wise he is limited. I now think he's the opposite... good brain but snatches at chances.

Maybe if he gets 1 though....

The effort just before Wighton's goal was a poor one, but I don't think snatching at chances is a feature of his game. For the opportunity he had at the edge of the box in the second half, he rolled his foot over the ball to try to make more space for the shot rather than snatching at it, as he did with his goal against Rangers. It's something I've noticed he does quite frequently - he'll usually try to get into the best position to shoot rather than snatching at it. Similarly, when he had the chance against Dundee before the penalty, he let the ball run across him before attempting the shot.

If anything, he's been a bit too casual in front of goal in the last two games. Sometimes it's best to just shoot hard and early, but that doesn't seem to be his game.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

We are light up front and need that #9 jersey filled. 

I think Wighton will be our number 9 until the January window. He looks hungry and has an air of confidence about him. Robbie will see him every day in training and knows what he’s capable of. I think he’s slowly building back his confidence. The lack of fans at games will help him 100% in this. A few goals next Saturday and he’ll be busting a gut for us. If he continues his good form and scores regularly, then we might not need to splash out for the rest of the season.

Not want to be too confident but when we make our second final in succession, can we sign anyone still under free agency? 

On another note, does anyone think that if it’s a Hearts v Celtic final that there may be a chance of a very limited amount of fans at this game? I feel if the sheep get through them there won’t be and it’ll be status quo till after the year. 

Would  Boyce and Naismith would do well together? 

If they were to play together I'd like Naismith to stay up top and not drop into midfield to get the ball.

Not sure Naismith is fit as Robbie hasn't even brought him off the bench 

6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

had a decent game last night especially in the second half, some of his touches and passing were excellent.

that said, he is not he 9 I thought he was going to be- the fact he wanted #10 seems to confirm he thinks the same, he plays too deep, don’t think he will get anywhere near the 20 goals I predicted before the season started.

this is a bit of a puzzle / problem We have Boyce, Naismith and Walker all trying to be a 10.

cant criticise Wighton as he has done what has been required so far.. but we really need an out and out striker.. 

Your thinking like me.

I see him as a penalty box player.

But like Stendel, Robbie is not playing  him there.

Boyce is a number 9. He was dropping deep because he wasn't getting any service. If the two wingers Roberts and Ginnelly don't play, we're ****ed. 

5 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Totally agree. You can see he is just dying to score. Once he finds the net he will start to bang them in from everywhere. 

Agree also, especially the dying to score part. 

I don't think he lacks confidence in his ability, if anything I think he needs to relax a bit, then he'll be able to think clearer and not fluff his lines when the chances come. The chances will come this season of that I have no doubt. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Don’t agree he had a decent game last night. Thought he was overall poor, his shooting was poor, passes were too slow and he struggled to make space for himself. The service to him was not great but individually both he and Walker didn’t do much to try to make things happen, we need the both of them to play a lot better. Whether it’s the system or not having the right team mates or just not got settled at Hearts / rusty after 6 months out, difficult to tell. This week would be the ideal week for him to get his engine started. Bag a poachers goal in the derby 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Boyce and Naismith are both fantastic finishers in the penalty box, problem is they're never in the penalty box as they feel the need to cover half the pitch in search of the ball. 

Seems to be a problem with watching hearts for years, whenever a fox in the box type of striker comes through we can never seem to give them the service

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

He’s a baller. There’s absolutely no chance of him running the channels or chasing down lost causes. That’s Wighton’s game. Boyce needs the ball. When we play with width he’ll be in the box. There’s was zero service last night so he had to drop deeper for the ball. I think him and Wighton could form a very good partnership in time. 

This. Give him service and he’ll do the damage. Last night he lashed out at the only really decent pass he received

Like him. He's always in good positions and a nuisance for defences. He'll get goals sooner enough I'm sure (hope).

The issue we had last night was he was having to drop so deep because the centre of the park was creating absolutely nothing.

8 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Don't you think he's doing what the manager wants of him currently then ?

Exactly he dropped deeper after Wighton moved more central after starting wide right and showed he was not suited to that position when he came on for Ginnelly.

At the moment and if fit, i'd be going Naismith and Boyce upfront. None of this dropping into midfield stuff as it leaves us light in the penalty box. For me it's all about temporary fixes at the moment (and I mean very temporary) but that won't be effective enough long-term. There are plenty free agent strikers out there looking for a club so i'd be making it a priority to find one. Wighton's done well so far and has probably found his level in the Championship. He will score some more this season but we can't rely on him, we shouldn't need to and we're buggered if his or Boyce's form drops. We need to get Haring and Halliday fully fit as having those two in front of the defence in midfield would improve us enormously. Lee for example is more of a forwarding midfielder, someone that likes to get outside the box, linking up, one-twos etc. and help out the forwards. He doesn't look comfortable playing deeper, and Irving is a little bit in-experienced in there. We found out last week when Charlie Adam strolled through the defensive midfield area to score that experience is going to be so important in that area of the pitch. I think that's where Hibs can hurt us next week. The fact that we haven't brought another central defender in as cover for Berra and Souttar might be a mistake as well as the season rolls on.

Edited by jambonian

Thought he did well tbh. Had to change it up to get more involved in the game. He did well to create chances for others. Including space for Wighton to run into 

Strange his best game was playing deep against Hibs. Let Washington do all the running and Boyce got in good areas to hurt them

Maybe we do need another 9. Or try and play two up top. Perhaps Gino could be used

11 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Everyone? Smith and Gordon were poor first half? You have very high standards.

Haha sorry for not being pedantic. Everyone with the exception of Gordon who made a great save. Hope this helps. 

Fort Vallance
12 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Horrible. Try living here. 

Guest ToqueJambo

6 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Boyce and Naismith are both fantastic finishers in the penalty box, problem is they're never in the penalty box as they feel the need to cover half the pitch in search of the ball. 

Seems to be a problem with watching hearts for years, whenever a fox in the box type of striker comes through we can never seem to give them the service

Neilson knows how to set up for that as his success at D Utd was based on providing service to Shankland. Shankland hasn't really made the step up, possibly because D Utd haven't been playing to his strengths or teams know he's their only real danger man so they mark him out the game. D Utd had ZERO shots on target against St Johnstone, one of the worst teams in that league so far.

However, I think we'll play with a bit more variety instead of just trying to feed Boyce as we have dangerous players in other positions. Missing important players though will always hurt us under Neilson as it did under Levein, in terms of making us less fluid and effective. So long as we keep winning even with players out, that would be a big improvement on Levein.

Maybe it will come but I’m not sure where people are seeing Boyce as great in the box thus far?  He’s snatched at or skewed most of his efforts.  

As has been well documented, he’s linked play well outside the box and worked hard to build attacks.  

I agree though it would be far more ideal to forge a style and system to put the onus on others to create and work the ball outwith the area to let the likes of Boyce focus on the 18 yard box......Again, you’ve got to look at the effectiveness of the midfield, full backs pushing up and the general combination of these positions.

Against Arbroath the full backs were dropped far too far back. They need to be part of the attacking play far more often and push up the line.  It has the knock on effect on the rest of the team and let’s strikers stay central.  

Edited by Debut 4

I thought Boyce played well last night, just looked a bit rusty in front of goal.

He’s a very clever striker. Plays with his back to goal, whereas Wighton plays with his front to goal and likes to run in behind. He holds it up well and wins free kicks to get us up the park and on the front foot.

I’ve no doubt the goals will come soon. Starting next week.