• jamborich

18 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Confident 

Gordon

Smith halcket popescui Kingsley 

Walker haring Lee halliday

Naismith  boyce

Control midfield we win

I take it you didnt watch the game tonight??? 

rip van tinkle

No chance that Naismith, Haring or Halliday are starting. They just do t have the fitness, those ****ers are a quarter of the way into their season 

Gordon, Smith, Halkett, Popescu, Kingsley, Walker, Lee and Boyce will all definitely start. I reckon Wighton has earned his chance too and I'm going to assume Ginnelly and Roberts are unavailable until told otherwise. Leaves two places up for debate. I think Halliday was poor today, Irving is not the most defensively aware and Haring hasn't managed a lot of minutes in midfield since his return, however one of these three will start. Frear doesn't look up to much so far however with Moore and White as his only competition I reckon he'll be in the team.

____________Gordon

Smith__Halkett__Popescu__Kingsley

___Walker__Lee__Halliday__Frear

_________Boyce__Wighton

I really did think McGill was going to be more involved in the last two matches, I would have been tempted to play the laddie in this game but seems like a bit of a baptism of fire

Edited by BigAlim

19 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

No pace, no legs. No width. A half fit central mid fielder. 

Would not be confident with that team at Hampden. 

Agree awful selection 

alwaysthereinspirit
29 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Confident 

Gordon

Naismith  boyce

Control midfield we win

Roberts and/or Ginnelly have to start. No if’s and or buts. 
That’s pretty much the midfield we had today. And struggled. Sorry but no thanks.

37 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Confident 

Gordon

Naismith  boyce

Control midfield we win

No width in that team. We would be murdered.

moore may well come in and do well on that big pitch assuming the wide players are injured of course

Edited by 1971fozzy

22 minutes ago, rip van tinkle said:

No chance that Naismith, Haring or Halliday are starting. They just do t have the fitness, those ****ers are a quarter of the way into their season 

that’s my worry. If we had played the same games and got the trio you mention up to speed then it’s a different ball game. They are all half fit. Just gives me the rage this game is even going ahead. But we will still do them. 
they want revenge for 2012 (not the same), and Robbie will want to erase the 2016 debacle that haunts him . Big game but it’s no level playing field given the expulsion 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

moore may well come in and do well on that big pitch assuming the wide players are injured of course

I was thinking Moore might come in if needed. He was good against Rangers and Hibs under Stendel. I think it'll be the same 4-2-3-1 with Lee and Irving in centre mid, Boyce up front and Walker in the middle. Any two from Roberts, Frear, Ginnelly, White and Moore out wide depending on who's fit. Walker could also maybe play wide right and Wighton could come into the middle, or Naismith if fit. If Roberts and Gino are injured, going by the Raith line-up it would be Frear and Moore to come in.

5-3-2. To be fair it looks like a 3-4-3.   All 3 mids back when defending.   I am thinking we can't rely on our usual wingers to be fit.   I can presume we will get alot of news about several players in race to be fit this week. 

😀 

Gordon

Popescu halket kingsley

Smith.                            White

Lee  haliday

Walker

Wighton boyce

Subs: Stewart, haring, irving, frear, naismith.   

I think it's only five subs.  I will no doubt change it when I find out who's fit.   Just abit of fun.  I can see it going to extra time.   So,  we want strong legs for the majority of the first team. 

Are Gino and Roberts both unavailable? 

CG

MS CH MP SK

JG OL AH JR

JW LB

Or 

CG

MS CH MP SK

JW OL PH AH

LB SN

Allowayjambo1874

Given no one knew he had an injury I suspect Roberts wasn’t risked with one eye on the Hibs game. Frear and Halliday poor and Ginelly probably out. To combat Boyle I can see Aidey White and Kingsley both playing as they did at end of Arbroath game so that if one goes forward on left one will sit. Could be over thinking it, just very surprised when white came on for Frear yesterday. 

Gordon, Smith, Halkett, Popescu, Kingsley, Roberts, Lee, Haring, White, Walker, Boyce. 

Maybe we just need to accept that’s it’s going to be very difficult and unlikely that we will win next week. I’m always pessimistic anyways but we do have some glaring deficiencies. We’re giving up far too many chances for a start, 

8 hours ago, hearts00 said:

A truly awful side with no pace, no legs, no width and 2 half fit midfielders plus a half fit centre forward.

For me this will be our biggest test this season, They have played more games than us this season and against stronger opponents, Therefore the pressure is very much on hibs to win! They are expected to win and for that reason alone i feel quietly confident that we can pull something off here.

My line up would be something like this

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley 

Haring Irving

Roberts Naisy Walker 

Boyce

Obviously depending on fitness, I believe thats our strongest team to start the match. I included naismith because he is a big game player, Maybe if it is still 0-0 after first half we can push naismith further up to partner boyce and go 4-4-2 and if thats not working bring Wighton on for Naismith, if we take the lead we bring irving off and put halliday on to take the pressure off.

Its a shame about ginnelly, if he was fit i would have started him instead of naisy but i still feel we have good options on the bench to try and change the game.

I predict the game will finish 1-1 and then we will sneak it 2-1 after extra time.

Ginos a big loss, assuming he must be out. Pace at Hampden is so useful. Look at what Suso and Driver did.

Hopefully Roberts is back and you have a shout to make with Frear but he looked too timid for me last night.

Gordon

Smith

Halks

Pops

King

Haring (worth it even for 45/60 imo)

Irving (need his positive passing and speed of thought

Moore

Walker

Roberts

Boyce

Moore a wild card and maybe Walker out there better with Naismith or Wighton in middle.

As I say, Gino was the key for me.

If Haring is fit enough, we win.

Diadora Van Basten

I think we should stick with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

The defence picks itself.

For the holding midfield two I would go for Lee and Irving and give Haring the last twenty.

CAM would be Walker with Naismith in reserve.

Centre forward would be Boyce with Wighton in reserve.

Ideally the wide players would be Gino and Roberts but Gino is unlikely to play and Roberts is a slight doubt. Getting the reserves for these players is going to be vital and I think selecting Frear, Wighton and Halliday would be a mistake. I would probably go for Moore and Henderson as back up to Gino and Roberts.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, jambmoz said:

Maybe we just need to accept that’s it’s going to be very difficult and unlikely that we will win next week. I’m always pessimistic anyways but we do have some glaring deficiencies. We’re giving up far too many chances for a start, 

careful squire we don’t like joined-up thinking round these here parts 😠 

9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

That's my thinking Ginnelly and Robert's injured Smith and Kingsley play as wing backs with Haring dropping back to support defense 

We are going in as underdogs which is understandable,if the

hearts team which beat Dundee turn up then we have a decent chance

a performance like last night then the best hope is winning on penalties 

2 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

We are going in as underdogs which is understandable,if the

hearts team which beat Dundee turn up then we have a decent chance

a performance like last night then the best hope is winning on penalties 

Do you think hibs would have won comfortably last night..I don't 

4-2-3-1

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Popescu

Kingsley

Irving

Halliday or Haring

Naismith
Walker

Roberts

Boyce

They’ve favoured a back 3 and alot of their attacking threat is through Boyle so we have to double up on their wingers and push them back to make it a back 5. Play with a diamond in the middle on that big pitch and we’ll get absolutely murdered.

46 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ginos a big loss, assuming he must be out. Pace at Hampden is so useful. Look at what Suso and Driver did.

Hopefully Roberts is back and you have a shout to make with Frear but he looked too timid for me last night.

Gordon

Smith

Halks

Pops

King

Moore

Walker

Roberts

Boyce

Moore a wild card and maybe Walker out there better with Naismith or Wighton in middle.

I think this might be the one. A fair drop-off in quality between Ginnelly and Moore, but it's the change that imbalances the side the least. Moore will stay high and wide - we can't trust Walker to do that and he's far more effective behind the striker.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, rip van tinkle said:

I think Haring will start. 

Tough game for us at this time of the season . 

We have been shafted yet again by the powers that be , given we've played 2 league games and they've played a dozen . 

If they can't beat a Championship club that's played 2 league games and is still striving for match fitness and continuity it will be an utter embarrassment. 

In saying that it Hibs , we probably couldn't have better opponents in a Semi given the circumstances. Wouldn't be surprised if we go through , which would be some achievement given the  timing and scheduling of our league . 

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Smith

Halks

Pops

King

Moore

Walker

Roberts

Boyce

Not far off, but I think White might be out wide or even Halliday. 

I'd be tempted to play White out wide left.

Edited by Smith's right boot

10 hours ago, rip van tinkle said:

No chance that Naismith, Haring or Halliday are starting. They just do t have the fitness, those ****ers are a quarter of the way into their 

They can start they don't have to play 90 minutes we have to dominate the game from the start not chase it at the end

Bazzas right boot

Is this game 5 subs? 

If so, staring Naismith, halliday, Haring is less of a risk. 

With 5 subs they could give me run out for 15 minutes with little risk. 

10 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Unfortunately I have to agree.

I saw that Roberts was out through injury last night and it does not look promising for Ginnelly with his thigh injury.

Walker also took a knock I think to his calf and Haring and Halliday almost make Ollie Lee look quick.

On a big open pitch like Hampden it favours the team with pace so I think for us a lot will depend on if out injured players are fit to play.

Frear looks a big disappointment so I would imagine it will be time for Moore or Henderson to get an outing again.

I think I would also like to see Irving given a chance again to create something in midfield rather than revert back to the tactics last night with the long ball.

We have to take into consideration their decent start to the season and the fact they’re way ahead of us in match sharpness. Folk assuming we’ll just turn up and win because it’s Hibs are stuck in the 80’s and 90’s. This is going to be a tough match to get through.

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Popescu

Kingsley

Gino/Roberts

Lee
Haring

Irving

Halliday

Boyce

Pack the midfield, keep it tight and give them no room down the flanks. 

We need a big big performance from Boyle.

rip van tinkle
22 minutes ago, jamborich said:

They can start they don't have to play 90 minutes we have to dominate the game from the start not chase it at the end

That exactly my point though, how can we dominate by playing three players who are lacking in match sharpness?

If Roberts and/or Ginnelly are unavailable next week then Henderson or Moore would be a better option than Frear, on last nights performance at least. Frear seems to be an up or down kind of player, we shouldn't be gambling on him having a good day.

I wonder if Roberts was rested last night? We wouldn't need three wingers in the squad, and maybe this was seen as a chance to give Frear game time, while ensuring we have at least one wide player available for next week.

2 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Any combination of Lee, Halliday and Irving gives me the fear. 

Especially at Hampden. 

Dunno. all three are mobile and would suit the big pitch.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, rip van tinkle said:

That exactly my point though, how can we dominate by playing three players who are lacking in match sharpness?

No one knows, that is why the game is difficult for us, they've played a quarter of the season, we've played two games 

Was always the case, has been for months. This is not news and is partly why the game will be tougher than "normal". 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

The only way we'll win with Lee and Frear on the park is if we sell them both to Hibs during the week.

We've beaten hibs with Lee in the team before. 

The Natural Order
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We've beaten hibs with Lee in the team before. 

We've beaten Hibs with Joel Pereira in goals. Would you fancy getting him back on loan and giving that a try next week?

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

We've beaten Hibs with Joel Pereira in goals. Would you fancy getting him back on loan and giving that a try next week?

No, but that's not what you said. 

1 hour ago, jamborich said:

Do you think hibs would have won comfortably last night..I don't 

I don’t think hibs would have won comfortably last night 

next Saturday if we have the right approach then i am confident 

of a win maybe after extra time

HillmanHearts

Robbie gets in width & pace to address our obvious deficiencies and bloody typically one is likely out, one is doubtful ( assuming by his unexplained absence last night ) and the other is just not really at the races ( for now at least ).

Jamie has been excellent up until last night. To get the best from him he needs to play in the advanced central role.

Robbie has some big decisions on tactics and team selection.

He said they would be in today to start working on it. Which is encouraging to hear.

I would say that we can’t play 2 up front and go direct as we did late on v Arbroath as that would be food & drink to Hanlon and the big daft laddie at the back.