Who should start against Hibs  

395 members have voted

1. 1. (Assuming 1 up front)

• Boyce
    • Wighton
    • Naisy all the way
    • Play 2 Strikers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/10/20 at 21:15

I thought it would be interesting to see the results of this one

Boyce is clearly the better link mam but has missed some big opportunities recently

Wighton is taking more chances ATM but his all round game is behind Boyce's

I'm personally leaning toward Wighton as taking a chance early could be key.

play both for me. Boyce had a bad day in front of goal but his record can't be ignored. Wighton is on form with a point to prove

Berra than you

I think it depends on who else is available. Boyce's all round play is far better, and if our other attackers (walker, ginelly, Roberts) are all fit then Boyce all the way. If ginelly is struggling, and walker (carried a knock late on) or Roberts don't make it might be better going with Wighton. In saying that though, of everyone else is on it i think Boyce offers us far more 

Guest ToqueJambo

Boyce seems more of a big game player for me so I'd stick with him. Wighton looked sharp again when he came on though. Took his goal well and made some good runs. It might depend if Gino is injured, especially if Roberts is out too. That could force a formation change to two up.

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Whether he starts or from the bench, Wighton will score a Super Wayne cult winner against them 

What does an iconic moment look like in the no fans era?

maybe he has enough time to go and grab a hot-dog from the concessions stand.

Depending if Gino is injured, how about Boyce up front, Naisy and Wighton in behind and a midfield 3 of Haring, Haliday and Lee/Walker. Give up the wide spaces but we stop the ball going out there in the first place, overrun them in midfield and therefore stop them playing? Just a suggestion, might be rubbish

been here before
3 minutes ago, gillsjambo29 said:

Cant see them being open if theres no fans to sell stuff too.

5 minutes ago, gillsjambo29 said:

Hot-dog stands may be closed.

There’s a slight problem right now with mingling.

4 minutes ago, Jamie86 said:

Depending if Gino is injured, how about Boyce up front, Naisy and Wighton in behind and a midfield 3 of Haring, Haliday and Lee/Walker. Give up the wide spaces but we stop the ball going out there in the first place, overrun them in midfield and therefore stop them playing? Just a suggestion, might be rubbish

Naismith has played 120 minutes of football since March and hasn't played at all in the last two weeks, Halliday and Haring will have similar numbers. I'd be very wary of starting all three in a derby

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Commentary folk will need a pie.

Boyd will be there, guaranteed.

There you go. Sorted.  

Scores winner in 94min

makes his way up to the commentary booth Pat Cash style and slaps a pie out of Boyd's front farter. 

been here before
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Commentary folk will need a pie.

Boyd will be there, guaranteed.

Im not sure.

Mickey Stewart would eat himself if he were covered in chocolate but then Mickey Stewart wouldnt want to deprive the world of a chocolate covered Mickey Stewart so he probably wouldnt.

Boyd would eat Stewart though chocolate covered or not.

Mickey Munch.

Boyce all day . Wighton can come on but Boyce wasn’t so bad tonight. He will come good and against the vermin will be the day. Big game player.

Edited by 1971fozzy

HillmanHearts

Boyce.

Class player.

Wasn’t particularly sharp in front of goal tonight but his link up play and touch still stood out.

Great to have a hungry goal scoring, in form, option like Wighton on the bench raring to go. 

Horatio Caine

I think in a bigger game like next week's, Boyce will come good.  All round play is great - just needs to add in the goals.  A match against a better team will help him find his touch.  IMO of course!

Neither , going on tonight’s general performance.  Boyce is starting to frustrate. So casual and is too , almost, show offy( to use a term) in possession. 

Needs to add more purpose.....he does a neat piece of play then takes too long to release the ball or doesn’t get his shots away quick enough when the chance comes. 

Tbh, it was just generally a mediocre show from all the outfield players but we got the crucial goal from a ball we’d been trying all night. One came off for us eventually.  

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Boyce then bring Wighton on.

Agree but the other way about. If wighton can start and play to his strengths then we hopefully will get some clear cut chances. As the game wears on, If it ain’t happening, then Boyce could most definitely come on and turn the game for us and as an impact sub. 
I think Boyce is most definitely the better player, but I just have a feeling that the above scenario, if it plays out, would favour us next week 

21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Boyce was awful tonight but we know what he can do. 

Personally think Naisy is a big match player but he's not match fit. 

I just don’t understand him not getting some minutes tonight, and if he wasn’t match fit. That would me the only way to build up his fitness surely ? 

If he plays next week, then he could blow out pretty quickly 

I just hope to god it isn’t any niggling injuries again. He is Such an important player for us but it’s becoming increasingly far more off the pitch, than on it. We really need him doing both. 

7 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Agree but the other way about. If wighton can start and play to his strengths then we hopefully will get some clear cut chances. As the game wears on, If it ain’t happening, then Boyce could most definitely come on and turn the game for us and as an impact sub. 
I think Boyce is most definitely the better player, but I just have a feeling that the above scenario, if it plays out, would favour us next week 

that’s a great scenario too

13 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

that’s a great scenario too

Any scenario that will get the rats scuttling back down to their sewers, and where they belong, is a great scenario mate 👍 

Boyce is the bigger game player out of both. Wighton performance in the rangers semi still haunts me (but he has improved). Depends who is fit but Boyce needs to be starting regardless 

We have to play 2 up front, Boyce and Wighton. 

We can't show that shower of shite the hint of weakness that a single man up front suggests. 

We are good enough to beat them, and we won't do that with a negative 4-5-1 formation. 

FTH. 

Most likely IMO he’ll switch to a back 3 so we have 2 wing backs (Smith and Whyte) to stop their wingers hurting us

I think he’ll play Haring, Halliday and Lee in the middle with Walker/Naismith off Boyce up front.

This assumes Ginelly can’t play

He’ll start compact, cautious and conservative and try to strangle the game and pinch something on the break, of that I have no doubt

SomethingAboutObua

Boyce, he looked a lot worse after he became the playmaker and then had to chase his pass to be the other striker. If we can leave him as the out and out striker and get Irving or Lee behind him as playmaker, he'll be a better option than Wighton to start.

StirlingJambo

Aye, stick the in form goal scorer on the bench!. Got to play the two up top together for me. Boyce link up play is very good and Wighton seems to be playing on the shoulder a bit more so could work

Quality lies with Boyce, who'll cause more problems than Wighton. I'd play Walker alongside Boyce as Naismith hasn't played enough to merit a start. 

What a finish from Wighton, BTW.  And being benched after s oring a hattrick, then the winner is a bit harsh on him. But he'll play more than not in the championship and will have a good season. 

Oh let's not forget. 

:fth:

:flag1:

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Yeah true.

I was thinking more along the lines of stretching the game in the last 30 mins. With Wighton running in behind a slow hibs CB pairing. It will be interesting to see how Robbie is going to approach this one.

Wighton is a good championship player. Boyce can do it at a higher level. However Hampden space may favour Wighton if we're playing a counter attacking game. I reckon both will get game time but Boyce's physical presence and self belief gives him the edge.

When we played cup games in 2014-2016 we looked slower and smaller than the opposition (ok Celtic were our regular opponents). That remains my concern with Wighton. He may have bulked up, but as a player, he has always looked terribly lightweight against Premiership opposition.

8 hours ago, been here before said:

Im not sure.

Mickey Stewart would eat himself if in chocolate but then Mickey Stewart wouldnt want to deprive the world of a chocolate covered Mickey Stewart so he probably wouldnt.

Boyd would eat Stewart though chocolate covered or not.

Mickey Munch.

That made me lol btw 😂
 So very true that he now thinks he’s gods gift to punditry. 

4231, walker at 10, 2 wingers (if we have 2 fit) either side, Boyce up top, essentially becomes a front 4 when we go forward. Our best imo. CM the big talking point

9 hours ago, Berra than you said:

I think it depends on who else is available. Boyce's all round play is far better, and if our other attackers (walker, ginelly, Roberts) are all fit then Boyce all the way. If ginelly is struggling, and walker (carried a knock late on) or Roberts don't make it might be better going with Wighton. In saying that though, of everyone else is on it i think Boyce offers us far more 

Exactly. If we don't have two fit wingers then we will probably move away from 4231 and try to get our width from Kingsley and Smith.

If we do play 4231 then if Naismith is fit I would probably start with Boyce and Naismith as they seem to link up well. If Naismith still isn't ready, I'd go with Walker and Wighton who also seem to play well together.  

Clearly different players but it's a bit like Yorke/Cole and Sheringham/Solskjaer. Some combinations work better than others.

42 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Walker will need moved to the wing so put Wighton in at 10

Any option which involves Walker playing on the wing should equal Walker doesn't play.

Last night proved once again that Walker can play #10 and nowhere else.