snow

Sharpie

On 23/10/2020 at 18:23, Harry Potter said:

The beast from the east was propa snow.

The kiliie game the night before the beast from the east really hit was the coldest game I've been at. Probably the worst snow storms i can remember

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Harry Potter

• J.T.F.Robertson

• luckyBatistuta

Doctor FinnBarr
On 23/10/2020 at 18:23, Harry Potter said:

The beast from the east was propa snow.

Tell me about it, we returned from Tenerife during it, lucky to get landed in Edinburgh instead of elsewhere. Slow crawl along the M8 to Tesco Bathgate only to find they were shutting 20 minutes later. It was like Dale Wintons supermarket sweep as we went round.

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Tell me about it, we returned from Tenerife during it, lucky to get landed in Edinburgh instead of elsewhere. Slow crawl along the M8 to Tesco Bathgate only to find they were shutting 20 minutes later. It was like Dale Wintons supermarket sweep as we went round.

Ha ha, 

The weather in Oklahoma has taken a turn for the worse today. Not snow but ice. There's an ice storm coming and that's a lot worse than snow. For anyone who doesn't know what an ice storm does a brief explanation.

Rain already below freezing begins falling but remains liquid as it falls. Then the instant it contacts a surface it freezes. This result in power lines being weighted down by ice snapping them. Tree branches weighted down by ice breaking off. Roads will be covered in a thick layer of solid ice in minutes.

Leave your car out in that it's going to be inside an iceberg rapidly. 

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Ha ha, 

It was bad Harry, when we took off from Tenerife South they warned us we might be going to Manchester but they managed to get us into Edinburgh. Took 40 minutes to get off the plane because they had to clear the ground to get the stairs on. 1 other flight landed after us then they banged up the airport so we were lucky I suppose. Didn't feel lucky when I was going through the carpark wearing slip ons and pulling a case with no jacket (it was nice when we left) then having to clear a car of about 6 inch of snow with an ice scraper.

21 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It was bad Harry, when we took off from Tenerife South they warned us we might be going to Manchester but they managed to get us into Edinburgh. Took 40 minutes to get off the plane because they had to clear the ground to get the stairs on. 1 other flight landed after us then they banged up the airport so we were lucky I suppose. Didn't feel lucky when I was going through the carpark wearing slip ons and pulling a case with no jacket (it was nice when we left) then having to clear a car of about 6 inch of snow with an ice scraper.

Went from manchester to gran canaria a few years back, flight back was landed at 3 in the morning , not my best move having to drive up the road.

Currently I have escaped the worst of the ice storm but there are over 100,000 people in the local area without power. These people never learned to bury their power lines. You see them strung up between poles alongside roads. They become covered in ice and are snapped or are snapped by winds.

J.T.F.Robertson
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The weather in Oklahoma has taken a turn for the worse today. Not snow but ice. There's an ice storm coming and that's a lot worse than snow. For anyone who doesn't know what an ice storm does a brief explanation.

Rain already below freezing begins falling but remains liquid as it falls. Then the instant it contacts a surface it freezes. This result in power lines being weighted down by ice snapping them. Tree branches weighted down by ice breaking off. Roads will be covered in a thick layer of solid ice in minutes.

;)

In my parts of Norway we started having  about 5 - 10 cm snow last Wednesday. I was as every year ready for it and had already put spikefree snow tires on my car weeks ago. However there are always those who drive around without doing the mandatory tire changes required on this kind of surface and it makes me both puzzzled and angry every year. How are the rules regarding snow tires in vehicles in Scotland/ The U.K./ Canada/ the U.S./ where you are?

11 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

In my parts of Norway we started having  about 5 - 10 cm snow last Wednesday. I was as every year ready for it and had already put spikefree snow tires on my car weeks ago. However there are always those who drive around without doing the mandatory tire changes required on this kind of surface and it makes me both puzzzled and angry every year. How are the rules regarding snow tires in vehicles in Scotland/ The U.K./ Canada/ the U.S./ where you are?

Not required in the UK. They are worth it if there is a good covering, just give a little extra security on the slippery surface

25 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

In B.C snow tires are mandatory in October. Many don't put them on and not much is done about it, but if they are on the main highways or have an accident because of the lack of winter tires prosecution is likely.

Edited by Sharpie

27 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Where in Norway are you?

Rodger Mellie
18 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

They are not required in my home state of Connecticut. I lived in upstate NY for 2 years and I never used them. I just buy all weather tyres.

What part of Norway are you in? My sister lives in the fjords about 20 miles due south of Molde and she gets unbelievable amounts of snow.

17 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Not required in the UK. They are worth it if there is a good covering, just give a little extra security on the slippery surface

To me that sounds crazy but again I'm a Viking from the cold North😀 Don't you have snow up in the highlands/ Islands? Anyone from the Highlands that can elaborate more on this?

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

In B.C snow tires are mandatory in October. Many don't put them on and not much is done about it, but if they are on the main highways or have an accident because of the lack of winter tires prosecution is likely.

Good to hear that one have proper tires in B.C. I've always wanted to do a Seattle to Vancouver road trip as there are many Norwegians in the area. Here your licence is revoked in most cases if one is found guilty of driving with summer tires after snowfall/ inside the mandatory period where everyone has to have snowtires which is between Nov. 15 and March 31. 

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Where in Norway are you?

See pm IJ

3 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

They are not required in my home state of Connecticut. I lived in upstate NY for 2 years and I never used them. I just buy all weather tyres.

What part of Norway are you in? My sister lives in the fjords about 20 miles due south of Molde and she gets unbelievable amounts of snow.

See pm RM

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 26/10/2020 at 17:10, JFK-1 said:

Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips lead singer) posted this on his Instagram page.

Screenshot_2020-10-27-18-18-23-682.thumb.jpeg.57ca6914b5f8c1f0c7d50c73d45456c3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips lead singer) posted this on his Instagram page.

Screenshot_2020-10-27-18-18-23-682.thumb.jpeg.57ca6914b5f8c1f0c7d50c73d45456c3.jpeg

Taken just minutes ago at the back of our house. Neighbours tree sagging over our fence.

Ice-tree-2.jpg

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Taken just minutes ago at the back of our house. Neighbours tree sagging over our fence.

Ice-tree-2.jpg

👍

I've still to turn my heating on, watching the Champions League in shorts and t shirt, in my flat in "toasty" Dalkeith.

Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

👍

I've still to turn my heating on, watching the Champions League in shorts and t shirt, in my flat in "toasty" Dalkeith.

Now over 200,000 people without power in and around the OKC area.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Now over 200,000 people without power in and around the OKC area.

I couldn't imagine living like that. There's a lot to be said living in Scotland, even if a couple inches of snow can cause gridlock.

4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I couldn't imagine living like that. There's a lot to be said living in Scotland, even if a couple inches of snow can cause gridlock.

Happens a lot. I experienced more power cuts in my first year here than in my entire life in Scotland. They don't bury power lines here. Wind or ice brings them down frequently.

10 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Not as bad as the great Canadian ice storm of the late 1990's which also extended into parts of the US. Over 4 million in Canada with no power some for a month.

Here currently it's power lines strung from poles alongside roads etc. coming down. In the Canadian incident the actual pylons were coming down. 

Many power lines broke and over 1,000 transmission towers collapsed in chain reactions under the weight of the ice, leaving more than 4 million people without electricity, most of them in southern Quebec, western New Brunswick and Eastern Ontario, some of them for an entire month.

At least twenty-five people died in the areas affected by the ice, primarily from 
hypothermia, according to Environment Canada. Twelve more deaths and hundreds of millions of dollars in additional damage were caused by the flooding farther south from the same storm system.

January 1998 North American ice storm

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Happens a lot. I experienced more power cuts in my first year here than in my entire life in Scotland. They don't bury power lines here. Wind or ice brings them down frequently.

Before moving back to Edinburgh, my parents were going to settle neare San Francisco. Just earthquakes and fires to endure there.

1 hour ago, VikingHeart said:

To me that sounds crazy but again I'm a Viking from the cold North😀 Don't you have snow up in the highlands/ Islands? Anyone from the Highlands that can elaborate more on this?

I'm on the isle of lewis, usually only once every 2 or 3 years we get decent snow that lasts. It gets pretty wild here, 70mph winds are pretty common. But the warm air off the Atlantic helps stop the decent snow.

Been to Norway a few times with work, once in February. Loved seeing proper snow that we could muck about in after a few drinks.

Sandefjord we go to, our work has a sister factory there.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Took a bit longer than I suggested but does seem to fit in with what I generally see happening. We had 3cm last night, raining now 2'36pm, forecast for cold weather but tomorrow not too bad but beginning of the week to bring more. The main highway from Vancouver coming through the mountains to have in the 50cm range, not nice.

We don't get this every year but a few years back we got five blizzards on five consecutive weekends. My street, a two way, was reduced to one way traffic until this piece of equipment came along to widen it. There was nowhere to put the snow, much of it got dumped into Boston Harbor. I guess this is routine in some parts of the country but pretty unusual for Massachusetts.

1 hour ago, Boston Jambo said:

We don't get this every year but a few years back we got five blizzards on five consecutive weekends. My street, a two way, was reduced to one way traffic until this piece of equipment came along to widen it. There was nowhere to put the snow, much of it got dumped into Boston Harbor. I guess this is routine in some parts of the country but pretty unusual for Massachusetts.

Thats a cool machine.

highlandjambo3
On 27/10/2020 at 18:25, JFK-1 said:

Ice-tree-2.jpg

You know you can cut anything overhanging your fence then chuck it back over for them the neighbours to clear  away............not good for neighbourly relations though.......would take some bawz as well

3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You know you can cut anything overhanging your fence then chuck it back over for them the neighbours to clear  away............not good for neighbourly relations though.......would take some bawz as well

Once the ice melted the tree recovered it's original shape which isn't always the case.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Or you can pay a company to do it and send the neighbours the bill.

• 3 weeks later...
Heartsmad1874

A little amount of snow has landed here in South Edinburgh. No doubt when the sun comes up it will melt though :(. More chance of snow tomorrow apparently.

On 14/11/2020 at 15:59, Boston Jambo said:

If that happened here, we'd be fecked. 

Tenaciousdandy

No snow in Haddington or North berwick, pavement was like a ice rink tho, car was frozen solid had to give the door a good yank to get it to open, de-icer didn't even clear the windscreen either, so bought one of those windscreen covers out of aldi this morning, hopefully it will work lol seen some cars in Kingston had little bit of snow on them on my way to work tho 

luckyBatistuta

Seen a woman sitting trying to get up Graeenbank Lane in a BMW this morning, it was only a bit of slush...

winter conditions + BMW = 🤣🤣🤣

Tenaciousdandy
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Seen a woman sitting trying to get up Graeenbank Lane in a BMW this morning, it was only a bit of slush...

winter conditions + BMW = 🤣🤣🤣

I remember having to help a BMW driver out the snow the last time we had the really bad storm in the east, I had a similar power of car in the ds4 I had at the time but my car handed it fine lol 

5 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

No snow in Haddington or North berwick, pavement was like a ice rink tho, car was frozen solid had to give the door a good yank to get it to open, de-icer didn't even clear the windscreen either, so bought one of those windscreen covers out of aldi this morning, hopefully it will work lol seen some cars in Kingston had little bit of snow on them on my way to work tho 

Forecast for the first real snow fall of the winter here in the Borders overnight and into the morning, we will wait and see if it comes or not.

Tenaciousdandy
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Forecast for the first real snow fall of the winter here in the Borders overnight and into the morning, we will wait and see if it comes or not.

Borders usual gets its fair share of snow over December January period does it not, my missus brother lives in Tarland near Aberdeen and they get snowed in most winters, I'm a snow lover myself can't beat going sledding and building a snow family with the kids, one of the few negatives of living so close to the sea is barely get any decent snow here 

19 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Borders usual gets its fair share of snow over December January period does it not, my missus brother lives in Tarland near Aberdeen and they get snowed in most winters, I'm a snow lover myself can't beat going sledding and building a snow family with the kids, one of the few negatives of living so close to the sea is barely get any decent snow here 

Can get our fair share and right up to March and beyond sometimes, but even when it's forecast it can virtually miss us and the next valley gets hit hard and vice versa, that's why I said we'll wait until it actually comes.

Not a great lover of it nowadays tbh, great when the kids were wee, but nowadays naw.

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

I remember having to help a BMW driver out the snow the last time we had the really bad storm in the east, I had a similar power of car in the ds4 I had at the time but my car handed it fine lol 

Every taxi I’ve had handles it better than a BMW, they’re not worth a sook

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Every taxi I’ve had handles it better than a BMW, they’re not worth a sook

I had a 3 series bmw years ago and the real wheel drive and wide wheels made it a nightmare with any sort of snow. Now I have xdrive. 

7 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Thundersnow!!!!!!!

Wow!

Very first time for me. Amazing isnt it!! Coming down thick aswell