snow

Sharpie

The first heavy snow falling, up to 5cm here. Not bad for what is sometimes referred to as Canadas sun belt. The main highway from Vancouver east closed as a result of large semis skidding and sliding and blocking and closing the highway. I had my winter tires put on on Monday thinking well thats too early but its done, aye you were lucky Boab, You guys should be  careful quite often I see after a few days you guys get what we just experienced. My hope is it doesn't happen to you.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Harry Potter

• J.T.F.Robertson

• luckyBatistuta

J.T.F.Robertson
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Canada and Scotland are at the same latitude. Though I believe Scotland is somewhat warmer due to the Gulf stream.

I "think" Edinburgh is even slightly more northerly than here in Calgary, and you're correct re the Gulf Stream.

Anyway, here it's been snawin at various degrees for the past four or five days, a bit early even for this place.

10 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I "think" Edinburgh is even slightly more northerly than here in Calgary

Indeed.

Calgary - 51.0447° N
Edinburgh - 55.9533° N

11 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I "think" Edinburgh is even slightly more northerly than here in Calgary, and you're correct re the Gulf Stream.

Anyway, here it's been snawin at various degrees for the past four or five days, a bit early even for this place.

That's also the reason for the white sand beaches at Arisaig. The rest of the country doesn't get them because they are sheltered from the Gulf Stream by Ireland's landmass. 

13 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

You guys get a good summer though. We get a bland sameness all year round. 

1 minute ago, trotter said:

That's also the reason for the white sand beaches at Arisaig. The rest of the country doesn't get them because they are sheltered from the Gulf Stream by Ireland's landmass. 

Ireland is also the reason most of the country doesn't get good surfing waves on the West coast. Down in Newquay in the South West of England they're slightly below Ireland. This results in waves which have rolled all the way across the Atlantic uninterrupted. The British surfing Championships are held in Newquay.

Fierce currents when the tide is going out. A friend of mine came close to drowning on Fistral beach in Newquay after going for a swim as the tide went out. This guy was a strong swimmer. He found himself going nowhere while trying to swim to the shore just 30 yards or so away as the tide went out.

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Lookin' oot ma windaes right now I'd gladly settle for bland sameness. Until I started moanin' about it, that is. 😭

And you're correct about our summers (mostly, anyway) but when you consider the length of the winters, they're way too short.

J.T.F.Robertson
9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Ireland is also the reason most of the country doesn't get good surfing waves on the West coast. Down in Newquay in the South West of England they're slightly below Ireland. This results in waves which have rolled all the way across the Atlantic uninterrupted. The British surfing Championships are held in Newquay.

Fierce currents when the tide is going out. A friend of mine came close to drowning on Fistral beach in Newquay after going for a swim as the tide went out. This guy was a strong swimmer. He found himself going nowhere while trying to swim to the shore just 30 yards or so away as the tide went out.

Went down to Newquay with mates for holidays 3 years on the bounce when we were in our late teens. Loved the place!

Cannie swim though.

Just now, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Went down to Newquay with mates for holidays 3 years on the bounce when we were in our late teens. Loved the place!

Cannie swim though.

I was teens/early 20's too when I was going there. Agree it's a great place. Guaranteed sunshine and warm weather, And cheap scrumpy to get blootered. Actually scrumpy was vile. But what does a teen/early 20's care about that? It was the blootered that mattered. 

I can swim but didn't venture past paddling depth. When that tide was going out it was strong enough to suck all the sand out from under your feet making it difficult to just remain standing. 

I think my blootered brain still registered that wasn't something I would want to swim in. My mates didn't and he ended up pretty much fighting for his life.

Heartsmad1874

Scotland hasn't had a proper snow Nov/Dec since 2010 i think it was. Was terrible though.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

J.T.F.Robertson
13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I was teens/early 20's too when I was going there. Agree it's a great place. Guaranteed sunshine and warm weather, And cheap scrumpy to get blootered. Actually scrumpy was vile. But what does a teen/early 20's care about that? It was the blootered that mattered. 

I can swim but didn't venture past paddling depth. When that tide was going out it was strong enough to suck all the sand out from under your feet making it difficult to just remain standing. 

I think my blootered brain still registered that wasn't something I would want to swim in. My mates didn't and he ended up pretty much fighting for his life.

I've often thought about a visit back there, just for nostalgia's sake. Would probably end up greetin' though.  :(

6 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I've often thought about a visit back there, just for nostalgia's sake. Would probably end up greetin' though.  :(

I would probably end up blootered.

41 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Cannie swim though.

:ruiner:???????

38 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Scotland hasn't had a proper snow Nov/Dec since 2010 i think it was. Was terrible though.

The beast from the east was propa snow.

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

The beast from the east was propa snow.

Those were the days when we only ever stayed in the house cause of bad snow.

Weirdest weather I've ever experienced was on a school trip (aged 14) to Loch Morlich in May 1982. 

A day was set aside for a 10 mile hike and we had it all; roasting and sunny when we set out, then rain, then walking through a Christmas card scene and, finally, increasing warmth as we approached the hostel and completed the circle. 

The kind of day where you leave a bit of yourself behind, if you know what I mean?

Iirc, it was the week between the 0-0 at Killie and the 0-1 v. Motherwell riot.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Up here in Lewis on the west coast, it is rated as the most consistent surf in Britain. A few guys from my work are always out surfing on their days off. Usually plenty of surfers visiting as well. Never tried it though, the water just looks too cold.

There was one summer a few years ago, there was some surfing championship on, the island was loaded with red bull cars and vans.

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

2 years ago? 

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Up here in Lewis on the west coast, it is rated as the most consistent surf in Britain. A few guys from my work are always out surfing on their days off. Usually plenty of surfers visiting as well. Never tried it though, the water just looks too cold.

There was one summer a few years ago, there was some surfing championship on, the island was loaded with red bull cars and vans.

Yeah too cold up there to be a popular surfing spot which is why sunny Newquay is the premier UK surfing destination.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

2 years ago? 

Yep. March 2018 when I moved to Cayman. My wife sent me pics of our car buried in snow in Armadale while I was on the beach in Cayman in my budgie smugglers 😃

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Yeah too cold up there to be a popular surfing spot which is why sunny Newquay is the premier UK surfing destination.

If you ever find you yourself in NewquaY.

Head 7/8 miles further south to perranporth or 20 miles north to Polzeath.

Newquay has it cause its a popular town nowhere near the best surf beaches in cornwall.

A pleasant 25 degrees here today in southern Ontario.  Sitting outside with a cold beer earlier.

This is unusual though, and it will be cool over the weekend.

5 minutes ago, Tott said:

Newquay has it cause its a popular town nowhere near the best surf beaches in cornwall.

Been in Newquay a number of times and loved it there. I would take a look in those other places out of curiosity but I'm not a surfing fan and not even a beach fan as such. Though I do like watching big waves. 

13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Been in Newquay a number of times and loved it there. I would take a look in those other places out of curiosity but I'm not a surfing fan and not even a beach fan as such. Though I do like watching big waves. 

Head south on the atlantic highway...about 7 miles south is Perranporth.

Perranporth is a small village ,massive beach though ,great pub  in the sands ( only one in the uk) 

Polzeath is north of Newquay..Tiny village,stunning beach .

Both are better surfing beaches than newquay..

If you just into surfing, polzeath wins

Both are worth a visit though,Cornwall is stunning.

Edited by Tott

1 minute ago, Tott said:

Head south on the atlantic highway...about 7 miles south is Perranporth.

Perranporth is a small village ,massive beach though ,great pub  in the sands ( only one in the uk) 

Polzeath is north of Newquay..Tiny village,fantastic beach though.

Both are better surfing beaches than newquay..

If you just into surfing, polzeath wins

Both are worth a visit though,Cornwall is stunning.

I like the south west in general. Spent time in Torquay too in my youth.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

I like the south west in general. Spent time in Torquay too in my youth.

Its  lovely place.

Prefer atlantic side of Cornwall though.

However just noticed this is in a thread labelled "snow"

They dont get much down in the south west 🙂

2 minutes ago, Tott said:

Its  lovely place.

Prefer atlantic side of Cornwall though.

However just noticed this is in a thread labelled "snow"

They dont get much down in the south west 🙂

No they don't. Even frost is rare.

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Not learned yet to appreciate the superb subtleties in the many different types of drizzle we get?

J.T.F.Robertson
19 minutes ago, Tott said:

I'm sure we were in Perranporth, back in the day. These names, like Perranporth, Fistral etc., are taking me back. :(

I remember a pub on Newquay's "main drag" called the Ship Inn (?) and a surf store called Bilbo. Still remember buying a maroon "hang ten" t-shirt there.

This was back in the days of the original skinheads, and Ska. Prince Buster, Max Romeo, the Upsetters and a shitload of others.

Like almost everything when you're young, great times.

Montgomery Brewster
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

2 weeks of snow is on its way. Supposedly. 

Yes for higher ground 

another daily Mail headline 

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Yep. March 2018 when I moved to Cayman. My wife sent me pics of our car buried in snow in Armadale while I was on the beach in Cayman in my budgie smugglers 😃

Excellent move.......you abroad and the wife at home

highlandjambo3

Went surfing in Bude Cornwall a few years back, great place, great beaches and great surf..........unfortunately it was surfing in a canoe which I didn’t get the knack of.........never mind, pubs were good.

12 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

2 years ago? 

Correct , left the car to walk the mile down to shell garage, forecourt somewhere underneath the

snow,  date about feb 28th 2018,  walking up the drumbrae after work  fell , person behind me walked

past ☹️, ach well cant expect miracles.

Be more than happy for a good bit of snow this year. I actually love being in the house all day when the weather is bad. Haven't quite appreciated it as much over the past 7 months apart from the odd day here and there.

Don't mind snow at all but after a couple of days it just gets a pain in the arse eh? It's more when it snows in flurries but melts too quick and the pavements are just covered in that slushy shite that soaks your feet.

On 23/10/2020 at 23:53, AlphonseCapone said:

2 years ago? 

A lot more short lived than 2010 though.

2010 was unreal, tbh.  I remember being on a night out right at the end of November and that was the first night of snow. It lasted all the way through December and it was absolutely freezing aswell.  I remember the shenanigans with the trains being cancelled after freezing up. 

I may be wrong but I also have hazy visions of Dec 2009 being heavy on the snow front too for a couple of weeks? 

I do love snow. Unfortunately we very rarely get decent snow up here. Live driving in it as well, switch off traction control and enjoy the rear wheel drive.

37 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Spot on about December 2009. My son was born at night on the 22nd and I came out the hospital the next morning to find the car buried in a few feet of snow. 

👍🏻  

4 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

There was fresh snow on the Cairngorms yesterday. 

🥶

Yeah. Been snowing on the hills quite a bit the last couple of weeks but it only lasts a morning or so before it melts. Was out on just a through glen route today, 14 miles, at the head of the pass (about 1200 ft) we were hit with sleet and driving wind, glad I wasn't up at any great height today. Dram in the comfy chair at home now. Winter is here in the hills.

38 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

There was fresh snow on the Cairngorms yesterday. 

🥶

It’s not unusual. I’ve driven over Drumochter in driving snow earlier in the year than this before. 

2 hours ago, whodanny said:

Yeah. Been snowing on the hills quite a bit the last couple of weeks but it only lasts a morning or so before it melts. Was out on just a through glen route today, 14 miles, at the head of the pass (about 1200 ft) we were hit with sleet and driving wind, glad I wasn't up at any great height today. Dram in the comfy chair at home now. Winter is here in the hills.

Yes thats what we had been having, the forecasts all predicted what we got on Frida. Just got back from a walk hard to believe that not so long ago there was about five inches of snow on the roads. On Friday when I start6ed the thread I mentioned you guys get what we had quite often up to a couple of weeks later, mark your calendars snows a"coming.

11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Yes thats what we had been having, the forecasts all predicted what we got on Frida. Just got back from a walk hard to believe that not so long ago there was about five inches of snow on the roads. On Friday when I start6ed the thread I mentioned you guys get what we had quite often up to a couple of weeks later, mark your calendars snows a"coming.

Forecast for most of this week is low pressure, which, at this time of year usually means very wet and windy. Any snow for the moment will be confined to the higher tops. My mountain rescue pals will be starting to have a busier time of it, mainly with novices underestimating the conditions. Nothing too serious yet, just a few embarrased folk. When the conditions higher up get more serious it'll be the more experienced folk getting out, and, for the most part enjoying some unforgettable days on the hills. Unfortunately, recent winters have been very mild and consisted of, mainly, soft wet snow high up, making for tough arduous days and adding to the avalanche risk. We really need a good, high pressure, cold hard winter. Which also makes it more pleasant low down, just hard frosty nights leading to drier conditions on the roads, easily dealt with by the gritters. The biggest road hazzard is the heavy, wet, slushy road conditions, which can also freeze overnight.