Northern lights

Tommy Brown

4 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I take it the mossmorran plant is flaring again... 

That's a possibility

Edit, some I'm seeing are a bit west from there

😂

Edited by Tommy Brown

4 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Aurora Borealis?! At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country......

Got my head rattling now? I’ll get it in a minute

6 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Is it Supernintendo Chalmers?

:spoton:

Localised entirely in your kitchen.

Yes

Can I see it

No

Seymour the house is on fire.

No mother its just the northern lights.

See the lights quite a bit in Portmahomack although seldom green waves. Wife does a bit of photography and can get cracking pictures but has to use a long exposure

Never seen it myself, but my Dad has been working up in the Kara Sea in Siberia the past couple of months, and the photos he's been sending have been absolutely stunning.

Would love to see them, but not sure I'm willing to go to that extreme :lol: 

I was in Iceland in Feb and went in a Northern Lights trip. Chances weren't great and they actually cancelled the previous night because of that. Was obviously freezing so load so folk were in the cafe area, we went in and grabbed a coffee and went to the loo. The womans had a big queue as normalmso said to missus I'd see her outside.

Low and behold they began to appear but thr slight patch i saw lasted about 20 seconds and the GF never got out in time. To be fair even though I definitely seen them I wouldn't count it. Iceland was great though and would go back. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

cheers Boof

This one https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/cliff-cam-3/ is often decent as well. And you don't get the regular flash of the lighthouse :lol: 

Bit of a coarse day as you can see.

If you're on Facebook, there's this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1135507469890355 that you can ask to join.

The guy that started it has a picture of my hoose in it - never even knew he was about :lol: 

As folk have said, though, the photos are much more spectacular than the actual ones - certainly in Shetland anyway - due to the longer exposure. My Mrs does a lot of night photography. Or she just goes out to get away from me... 🧐

Governor Tarkin

Heimaland, southern Iceland a few years ago.

It was like this every night for almost a fortnight.

20201024_171058.jpg

On 23/10/2020 at 22:40, hughesie27 said:

I was in Iceland in Feb and went in a Northern Lights trip. Chances weren't great and they actually cancelled the previous night because of that. Was obviously freezing so load so folk were in the cafe area, we went in and grabbed a coffee and went to the loo. The womans had a big queue as normalmso said to missus I'd see her outside.

Low and behold they began to appear but thr slight patch i saw lasted about 20 seconds and the GF never got out in time. To be fair even though I definitely seen them I wouldn't count it. Iceland was great though and would go back. 

If this happened to me, I'd wind my girlfriend up about it daily. She's desperate to go back for the northern lights. We went to Reykjavik last year but obviously weren't expecting to see it, it was more a city break than anything else.

I'd love to go back to Iceland and see a bit more of the country. Sadly I don't drive though, and I feel to do all the lights tours, blue lagoon and some general sightseeing without a car would be ridiculously expensive.

55 minutes ago, Locky said:

If this happened to me, I'd wind my girlfriend up about it daily. She's desperate to go back for the northern lights. We went to Reykjavik last year but obviously weren't expecting to see it, it was more a city break than anything else.

I'd love to go back to Iceland and see a bit more of the country. Sadly I don't drive though, and I feel to do all the lights tours, blue lagoon and some general sightseeing without a car would be ridiculously expensive.

You'd be surprised. Think our blue lagoon was £120 for the 2 of us. Transport included. We also done an 8ish hour trip stopping at various spots on the golden circle which I can't actually remember the total cost but think it was around £40/£50 each. Obviously with a guided tour/driver telling you about the things you pass on the road. Similar price for the Northern Lights which they will rebook you onto the next evenings tour for free if you do not see any/they decide to cancel because of low visibility. They actually end up letting you rebook for free for up to 2 years if you don't see them on your trip.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

@Boof went on to the Facebook page you posted, caught this post typed in the local dialect...

Screenshot_2020-10-25-05-46-30-075_com.facebook.katana.png

Perfectly understandable...:61: ...Yell being our second largest inhabited isle. 

Presume she's spotted a meteorite or bolide. Or possibly lightning but not really been weather for that.

Had a look at that Cliff-cam 3 last night to see if there was anything but it had a huge swathe of airport lights right at the bottom thus affecting the sensitivity of the rest of the image capture 😕 

• 2 months later...

Saw briefly the other night but a bit chilly so didn't stay out long.

Beautiful clear night when I got home tonight so fingers crossed it still is.

Just downloaded a long exposure camera app for the phone so will see if I can get anything tonight.

34 minutes ago, Boof said:

Meh - not so good tonight. At least not with the naked eye. 

Stars just superb though.

Seen them 70.5 degrees North quite a few times.

Surreal. 

Do you see them fairly often this time of year up there? 

40 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Do you see them fairly often this time of year up there? 

Yeah - reasonably often. Or I suppose often enough to be a bit blase about it. Any photos give a far better picture than the naked eye - or at least any photos that folk make public :lol: 

We're only 60 north here so 70.5 would've been something a lot more spectacular I presume.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Edited by Boof

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2020 at 08:24, Tommy Brown said:

cheers Boof

Big onus on you now , you will have to report on this thread when they are happening.

You're the man👍

:scenes:

STEVE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_(atmospheric_phenomenon) came for a visit tonight.

Big streak E-W across thew sky above me.

Beautiful starry night - shooting star, aurora (not like you'll see in photos but still not bad)

I guess I was out for 10-15 minutes just to try and let my eyes acclimatise. Was just a white-ish streak for me. You really need the long-opening of a camera shutter to get the really vivid colours.

Mrs just been out with dugs for their pish - STEVE's away now. So half an hour at least. Some of those photos in the FB group may be time-stamped?

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, jim747 said:

Can't upload any photos, keep getting an error code -200, is the file size too big Mods?

Sounds like it.

I find screenshot from mobiles are easy to load. Haven't a clue how to upload from a laptop  though.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Buggered up on Wednesday. 

I read they were going to be visible around Scotland.

Spotted all around Edinburgh and Lothians😢

Didn't even look.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Buggered up on Wednesday. 

I read they were going to be visible around Scotland.

Spotted all around Edinburgh and Lothians😢

Didn't even look.

Visible from as far south as Cumbria. Very unusual. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Visible from as far south as Cumbria. Very unusual. 

The night before, spotted in Devon.

Was on Breakfast TV