Squatters rights

Morgan

Where the Hell is the fairness, or justification for, squatters rights?

We heard a story this morning about someone who’s house, worth over 7 million Euros, has been told that he cannot sell it due to the fact that there are squatters in the property.

To rub salt into the wound, he has also been told that, if they get evicted, he has to make an attempt to provide them with alternative accommodation.

:wtf:   They are basically ‘breaking and entering’.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We heard a story this morning about someone who’s house, worth over 7 million Euros, has been told that he cannot sell it due to the fact that there are squatters in the property.

To rub salt into the wound, he has also been told that, if they get evicted, he has to make an attempt to provide them with alternative accommodation.

That’s absolutely ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous.

That’s it summed up, I’d say.  👍

Could be worse he could be Phil Collins. Divorced his wife in 2006 and paid her over $40m in the settlement, got back together, then she sneaked off a couple of months ago and married someone else and moved them onto Phil’s $35m mansion when he was out of town. Now she wants $20m to leave. 
He is a bit of a prick though. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8861709/amp/Phil-Collins-ex-Orianne-Cevey-REFUSES-leave-Miami-mansion-demands-pay-20-MILLION.html

Taking over a multi million dollar mansion seems quite a bit different than the 1940's squatting in now because of the war being finished then homeless families took over Nissan military establishments as homes and were dubbed squatters. I believe this was possibly the origin of the title squatter.

12 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Taking over a multi million dollar mansion seems quite a bit different than the 1940's squatting in now because of the war being finished then homeless families took over Nissan military establishments as homes and were dubbed squatters. I believe this was possibly the origin of the title squatter.

Squatting was pretty much a lifestyle choice in London a few years ago. Lots of large abandoned properties that could easily be occupied by decent sized groups of people. Ironically a lot of the properties were in areas which are now classed as upper end wealth areas and are worth millions now. 

been here before
37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Could be worse he could be Phil Collins

Like most people Ive known some low times and high times in life but thats a mantra that has got me through the most desperate of times.

11 minutes ago, been here before said:

Like most people Ive known some low times and high times in life but thats a mantra that has got me through the most desperate of times.

I'm the same. Take a look at me now

highlandjambo3

Not entirely sure of all the legal implications but, if squatters break into a property then they have made illegal entrance and plod will eject and charge them straight away but, if so called gang of unwashed are invited into a property and decide to stay then up pops squatter rights.  So, let’s forget about being invited into an occupied place and look at the options the unwashed have:

1.  Now, the junk heads know the rules so, if they want to invade a locked property they know that if they break in they will be breaking the law so, they will attempt to find a weak link they can exploit, sky light etc, and claim it was not locked =  junkheads didn’t break in so squatters rights apply.  It’s difficult to protect against unless every entry point is really secure and covered by CCTV so it can be proven the property was broken into.

2.  Squatters rights and, the time it takes to get them out can also be interpreted as the time it takes the courts to issue an eviction notice.  The great unwashed also know this and will often attend the court hearing in which a date will be issued to vacate the property.  The unwashed will move out the day before the eviction date however, be aware, they will often secure a fairly un obvious entry point with their own secure/new lock.  Owner comes along finds no squatters and secures the premises with new locks. The soap dodgers will turn up after the eviction date and hope to gain entry without breaking in (see 1 above) with the hope that the owner has not noticed the new lock....particularly if someone else turns up to fit locks and there is a bit confusion between locksmith and owner = unwashed are back in...............well *** that.......

3.  The BETTER option is to pay some knuckle draggers to pop round and politely ask them to leave....in a very friendly manner of course.

51 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not entirely sure of all the legal implications but, if squatters break into a property then they have made illegal entrance and plod will eject and charge them straight away but, if so called gang of unwashed are invited into a property and decide to stay then up pops squatter rights.  So, let’s forget about being invited into an occupied place and look at the options the unwashed have:

1.  Now, the junk heads know the rules so, if they want to invade a locked property they know that if they break in they will be breaking the law so, they will attempt to find a weak link they can exploit, sky light etc, and claim it was not locked =  junkheads didn’t break in so squatters rights apply.  It’s difficult to protect against unless every entry point is really secure and covered by CCTV so it can be proven the property was broken into.

2.  Squatters rights and, the time it takes to get them out can also be interpreted as the time it takes the courts to issue an eviction notice.  The great unwashed also know this and will often attend the court hearing in which a date will be issued to vacate the property.  The unwashed will move out the day before the eviction date however, be aware, they will often secure a fairly un obvious entry point with their own secure/new lock.  Owner comes along finds no squatters and secures the premises with new locks. The soap dodgers will turn up after the eviction date and hope to gain entry without breaking in (see 1 above) with the hope that the owner has not noticed the new lock....particularly if someone else turns up to fit locks and there is a bit confusion between locksmith and owner = unwashed are back in...............well *** that.......

3.  The BETTER option is to pay some knuckle draggers to pop round and politely ask them to leave....in a very friendly manner of course.

The areas I mentioned were not made a fuss of because they were no longer of use not having the military personnel to use them. The ones at Duddingston stayed occupied for quite a long time, then prefabs came into vogue and the housing crisis was somewhat eased. In the early sixties hippies came into fashion. At one stage I was working the Marshal Street beat and west Nicolson Street was in my beat area. There were some empty houses in a stair there and they were taken over by Hippies. We were called there on occasion and it was something to see, males and females, in numbers sleeping bags, blankets, and other stuff mostly gained by bucket raking, it was a health safety horror. The hoi paloi didn't really want arrests time consuming and what were you going to do with them. As happened regularly the beat men came up with a solution we carried out evictions at 4.00am. and advised them the possibilities if they returned. Situation not solved, but answering bosses questions with "Theres none oan ma beat sir" seemed to satisfy.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

If they get evicted, must  be until a court order is granted to get them out.

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Could be worse he could be Phil Collins. Divorced his wife in 2006 and paid her over $40m in the settlement, got back together, then she sneaked off a couple of months ago and married someone else and moved them onto Phil’s $35m mansion when he was out of town. Now she wants $20m to leave. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8861709/amp/Phil-Collins-ex-Orianne-Cevey-REFUSES-leave-Miami-mansion-demands-pay-20-MILLION.html

Hopefully "against all odds", he gets his property back....

highlandjambo3
17 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Hopefully "against all odds", he gets his property back....

I heard he asked his wife for “one more night”

Whilst I agree, squatter's rights is not the solution, the problem here is that someone can have a €7 million house presumably lying empty for squatter's to move into.

Yes, yes, lefty commie dreamer...I know 😂

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whilst I agree, squatter's rights is not the solution, the problem here is that someone can have a €7 million house presumably lying empty for squatter's to move into.

Yes, yes, lefty commie dreamer...I know 😂

They may say you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one...

Make the tax on empty properties eye watering to encourage letting, and if they're still left empty use any income raised to provide more social housing.

Was the house empty or a seasonal houses or between people moving out and new owners moving in?

I'd agree with taxing long term empty properties and second/holiday homes at a higher rate.

The empty mansions thing is a huge issue in London.

Property is being used as a "land bank" and is never actually occupied.

Various Russians, Chinese and Saudi characters buy up these huge mansions for millions, hold them for a few years then punt them on at a profit due to the ever-rising house prices.

Nobody ever moves in.

Some other dodgy character then buys it and holds it for a few years and so on.

Money is hidden in these properties' values and generates more interest than it would in a bank. It's all money laundering.

Some of these places that change hands for tens of millions have been empty for decades.

And in the middle of a housing and homelessness crisis it's mental.

So squatters move in and actually live in these rotting hulks.

Can't say I'm too bothered about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bishops_Avenue

Edited by Cade

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

She's an easy lover. 

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Disappointed.  I was hoping this was going to be another shite in a field thread. ☹️ 

No, no.

The real shite threads are reserved for @chester copperpot

millerjames398
18 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I heard he asked his wife for “one more night”

At one point they shared "two hearts" they should try  and remember that😆

luckyBatistuta

A few lads over from jkb and we’ll sort them Morgan, on the understanding that we get to stay in it for a two week lads holiday:toasting:

7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A few lads over from jkb and we’ll sort them Morgan, on the understanding that we get to stay in it for a two week lads holiday:toasting:

It’s a deal.

Sleep in my cellar, drink what you can find, bring home whomever you choose, wash your own bedding.

Deal?

luckyBatistuta
37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s a deal.

Sleep in my cellar, drink what you can find, bring home whomever you choose, wash your own bedding.

Deal?

Not gonna chuck in the whale too 🤣

20 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not gonna chuck in the whale too 🤣

But of course!

Janet is more than willing to spread herself about, and let’s face it, there’s plenty of her to spread about.

16 hours ago, gjcc said:

BYOB at Morgan’s gaff. 

Bring your own Big-Jug.

Bring your own Big-Janet.  👍

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

But of course!

Janet is more than willing to spread herself about, and let’s face it, there’s plenty of her to spread about.

giphy (3).gif

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

You wouldn’t be doing that if you saw her.

🙀🙀

Are you a betting man?................😆

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Are you a betting man?................😆

I like a wee punt.

Janet does not have a wee punt.

I somehow think my spelling has, once again, gone askew.  😎

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I like a wee punt.

Janet does not have a wee punt.

I somehow think my spelling has, once again, gone askew.  😎

Showing your impressive knowledge off again?😉

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

But of course!

Everyone out trying to pull like a champion, not wanting to be the one heading back to...😬🤮

4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

giphy (3).gif

Always makes me laugh🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

🙀🙀

Oh yes he ####ing would🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Oh yes he ####ing would🤣🤣🤣

Y’know what?

Looking back at @Dawnrazor‘s posting history, you’re right, he probably would.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Y’know what?

Looking back at @Dawnrazor‘s posting history, you’re right, he probably would.

No doubt about it, a barbers floor🤣

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

🙀🙀

Dawnrazor strikes me as an 'Any hole is a goal' type of chap :D

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

No doubt about it, a barbers floor🤣

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Or a fag burn in a fur coat as my dear old dad would have said. 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Well, I'm glad you lot have had some fun at my expense 😅

Every orifice is a goal with old Dawn!

:biggrin: