What's a reasonable amount of time a new TV should last?

Nucky Thompson

Nucky Thompson

I bought a JVC smart TV from Currys in April 2019.

The picture has now gone and all that I'm left with is the sound.

Anyone know where I stand regards a replacement or repair?

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'd imagine the TV if bought from curry's will have come with a bog standard 1 year manufacturers warranty unless you bought an extended one? Sometimes curry's give longer guarantees but I think that tends to be on samsung/LG and usually to compete with the likes of John Lewis and richer sounds who tend offer 5 or 6 year guarantees on those brands. Sounds like you've been really unlucky mate if the picture has went after 18months though as you would expect to get at least several years out a tv at least, even a mid to low range brand 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

I'd imagine the TV if bought from curry's will have come with a bog standard 1 year manufacturers warranty unless you bought an extended one? Sometimes curry's give longer guarantees but I think that tends to be on samsung/LG and usually to compete with the likes of John Lewis and richer sounds who tend offer 5 or 6 year guarantees on those brands. Sounds like you've been really unlucky mate if the picture has went after 18months though as you would expect to get at least several years out a tv at least, even a mid to low range brand 

Aye, I never bought an extended warranty. I usually renew my TV every 3 or 4 years and put the old one in the kids room.

I'm a bit pissed off that it's only lasted 18 months to be honest.

I'll phone the store directly tomorrow and quote the sales of goods act that MP mentioned above

Definitely, 100% going to jinx this.

I bought a 50 inch LG Plasma in 2013, and it's still going strong, even though the expected life is around 5 years. 

My 49 inch Samsung curved TV is coming up for 2 years old, and still perfect. 

A TV is a substantial investment, and should be expected to last for a good few years.  Hell, I've got a 21 inch Samsung HD TV that I bought when I was 18, and it's still used as a computer monitor. 

I'd be firing an email off to them, and asking if they can do anything, even if it's out of warranty.  Sale of Goods Act covers you for 5 years in Scotland, and you should be able to reasonably claim against it as a TV should never be lasting 18 months, regardless of brand. 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I note you have said in another post you'll phone Currys - i'd defo try that route. That's really poor for it to have packed in already.

Someone else has mentioned the 5yr guarantees from John Lewis & Richer Sounds. They are superb and worth going for. Costco also do a 5 or 6yr guarantee. 

My general outlook going on your thread title - i'd expect a TV to last +7yrs. I usually buy something premium though and it lasts a good few years without the picture quality/build quality looking rubbish (compared to newer sets). It's just an opinion and i get not everyone wants to spend over a grand on a telly. I just find over the lifespan of it the value becomes better and I appreciate the better picture quality.

Good luck.

53 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I only ever buy Sony or Samsung and Ive never had a TV pack up on me. 

Usually upgrade about every 6 years or so. 

Same here - still got the same 2 Sony TVs 40 & 26 inches that I bought when I bought the house 13 years ago!

Aye, I never bought an extended warranty. I usually renew my TV every 3 or 4 years and put the old one in the kids room.

I'll phone the store directly tomorrow and quote the sales of goods act that MP mentioned above

Good luck mate. Like you, I'd be pissed off too if a TV I'd bought 18months ago stopped working correctly. Hope you get a positive outcome 

Think you got very unlucky. In my experience TV's generally last comfortably over a decade even though after a few years or so they're generally in some weans room.

onwards and upwards

Smart Tv's are (in my opinion) too fecking smart for their own good. Paranoid Android,  says they can hear and see you, as you're watching . 

Get a non smart TV, attach an Android box and carry on, regardless.  

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't know how things work legally in Scotland by comparison with here, but you might find that what you're entitled to is a discount on a replacement rather than a free TV.  In Ireland, you'd certainly win a case at the Small Claims Court in a situation like yours, but your compensation would take account of the fact that you've gotten 18 months' use out of the TV.  Typically, white goods have a six-year period in which they're not supposed to fail, but TVs might be different.  I had a similar issue with a dishwasher recently.  It stopped working after 2.5 years.  I had to pay for a repair, but it cost me €65 including parts and labour.  I also had an alternative offer of a hefty discount against a new model in the event they couldn't do the repair.  I couldn't even say if that would work for a TV.  Does anyone repair TVs these days?

They SHOULD last for at least 5 years but they are so widely built these days that its inevitable you are going to get a few bad ones in the market. I'd always try and buy from Richer Sounds, John Lewis or at worst buy the extended warranty. I know of 4 people who have had to make use of their warranties on 2 to 4 year old TVs. 2 had the screens/back-light go causing a bad blue hue to everything and one the speakers went causing a deep echo like sound. They are expensive peices of kit which seem to find various ways of breaking. 

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It used to be the case that under EU rules all electrical goods had a mandatory 2 year warranty no matter what the manufacturer says, but I don't know where things stand now.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Edited by Smithee

highlandjambo3

They are likely to hide behind the bog standard 12 months warranty, which is a requirement fir any new electrical item.  I don’t see them budging if you didn’t have an extended warranty.  As an afterthought, it’s worth checking your house insurance, they sometimes add in white goods as an extra or, if you bought the item on credit card, they also may have an extended purchase insurance clause on any electrical items you have bought.

You need my mother on your side. Anything that breaks that she bought in the last decade or so is usually replaced or repaired free of charge due to her incessant and ferocious complaining. She's had CEO's on the phone and all sorts.

10 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Had a Panasonic for 19 years , bought a new one about 2 years ago, lucky if it lasted a year.

Washing machines  dont last, now either.

TBF the tv was replaced, no problem.

33 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Leaving a telling on 24/7 will eventually kill it. 

Your telling a strange story. lol

Why would it be on 24/7, on stand by aye

Edited by Harry Potter

Samuel Camazzola

Black Friday is around the corner. You'll be able to get an 80 inch Blaupunkt for sweeties. However, be prepared to partake in a Royal Rumble in Tesco for the last one. 

“You have the right to get faulty goods replaced or repaired if it's too late to reject them. You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.

If the seller doesn't do this, you're entitled to claim either:

• a reduction on the purchase price, or
• your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called recision).

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, and won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair your item, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

You have six years to take a claim to court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years”.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

One thing i've never had any bother with is TV's, got a cheap hitachi 43" in the bedroom that's over 7 years old now and a bigger LG in the livingroom that's at least 5 years old

12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I still have my very first HD 720p 32inch I bought for my 360 up in the bedroom which is Samsung.Fair to say that's been some value

12 hours ago, tian447 said:

I bought a 50 inch LG Plasma in 2013, and it's still going strong, even though the expected life is around 5 years. 

A TV is a substantial investment, and should be expected to last for a good few years.  Hell, I've got a 21 inch Samsung HD TV that I bought when I was 18, and it's still used as a computer monitor. 

I'd be firing an email off to them, and asking if they can do anything, even if it's out of warranty.  Sale of Goods Act covers you for 5 years in Scotland, and you should be able to reasonably claim against it as a TV should never be lasting 18 months, regardless of brand. 

We also had a plasma bought around the same time , a Samsung, we only got rid of it as the technology in it wouldn’t accept the virginV6 box . Replaced it with LED Sony , still think the plasma picture was  better on the eye but certainly the newer TV has so much more extra to offer. 

As to the OP give the consumer advice Scotland a call they’ll advise what you can do 

Check out that Martin Lewis website as I’m sure he has covered this kind of thing before.  I’m pretty certain that TVs have a life expectancy which is far beyond 1 year. 

24 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

We also had a plasma bought around the same time , a Samsung, we only got rid of it as the technology in it wouldn’t accept the virginV6 box . Replaced it with LED Sony , still think the plasma picture was  better on the eye but certainly the newer TV has so much more extra to offer. 

As to the OP give the consumer advice Scotland a call they’ll advise what you can do 

I absolutely love the Plasma TV.  It's only set up for the PS4 in the spare room, and doesn't get used as a TV very often, other than the occasional Netflix binge.  The colours in it are far superior, and I've never really noticed any issue with response times when gaming - although purists will tell you it's rubbish for that :lol:

Colours look superb, especially black and darks, and it was a very good purchase for £549.  Only slight issue is those type of screens are susceptible to screen burn, even in short durations. A 20 minute race on Gran Turismo leaves a notable lap timer and speedometer ghost, and CoD leaves an ammo HUD, but it goes away after 5 minutes of screen refreshing. 

Superb TV, glad I got it and it's a shame they've disappeared from the market. I'll maybe look at replacing it with a 4K option for the PS5, but I'll not be picking one up until the new year at the earliest, and for now there is nothing wrong with it, apart from a collapsed second HDMI port. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Your telling a strange story. lol

Why would it be on 24/7, on stand by aye

Just a thought. Maybe the telly addict OP should get out more. 

14 hours ago, tian447 said:

Still got my Panasonic HD Plasma going strong since 2008. May look to upgrade in the NY, but it's been faultless in all that time :thumbsup:

My old Panasonic plasma is apparently still going strong in it's new home. It is 15 years old.

I'll be disappointed to not get at least 10 out of my current set.

Slightly tangential, has anyone got or thought about getting a projector? I got one on Prime Day and it was cracking. Not nearly as noisy as I thought and the picture was massive, rich and not faded, worked with Chromecast. Unfortunately had to return it as it had black spots on the screen and the lens was buried in the innards so no chance of getting at it to clean it. They won't replace or repair because it was bought on an offer, only refund. 

Long term how difficult (or easy) are they to manage? Quick reading suggests that dust is a mortal enemy to them.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just a thought. Maybe the telly addict OP should get out more. 

Or me ri i watch too much tv,  😕

I had an Argos own brand LCD TV we used in the bedroom that finally died last year after around 11 years.

Then sold our Toshiba LCD TV we had in the livingroom last year as we upgraded to a bigger 4K TV . Was still going strong after 7 years.

So yeah, we've been getting on average 9 years out of our TVs. And that two models that we had weren't high end expensive brands.

I P Knightley

I got a Samsung repaired with no charge when the screen went a bit funny about 3 years after I'd bought it. Richer Sounds, though, and they go to 6 years on tellies, I think.

If Currys don't offer a repair FOC, tell them that you'll get a replacement from Richer Sounds as they have their customer service taped down much better than Currys.

1 hour ago, Smack said:

Slightly tangential, has anyone got or thought about getting a projector? I got one on Prime Day and it was cracking. Not nearly as noisy as I thought and the picture was massive, rich and not faded, worked with Chromecast. Unfortunately had to return it as it had black spots on the screen and the lens was buried in the innards so no chance of getting at it to clean it. They won't replace or repair because it was bought on an offer, only refund. 

Long term how difficult (or easy) are they to manage? Quick reading suggests that dust is a mortal enemy to them.

Before you buy any projector research the cost of replacement lamps. 

Sawdust Caesar

My Samsung LCD tv is now 14 years old, and still working fine, as is my 9 year old Samsung laptop. I keep waiting on my 24 year old fridge freezer packing in but, thankfully, it refuses to die.

Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain

Shouldn't matter if the warranty has expired, as the TV should have a reasonable lifespan. The above explains it and I've also read similar on other consumer rights websites.

That's from 2006 mate, I think it's basically right but there's been acts passed since then, EU rules adopted, and now Brexit too, so more up to date info is needed I think.

In around 2011, 5 years later, I worked in tech support at Tomtom when we were forced to start giving a 2 year repair or replace warranty instead of the 1 year the company had been giving because of these rules being implemented. Electrical goods were to get 2 years, and if repaired/replaced under warranty got 12 months from then, even if there was less than a year of the original 2 to go.

But I'm not in that game any more so I don't know for sure the state of play now.

My wife knows (cos I’ve told her many times) that you get maximum 3 years out of a telly before you have to replace it with a bigger, higher spec  one so shhhhhhhh y’all

Edited by JimmyCant

The Real Maroonblood
18 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I’ve always bought Sony and they’ve never gave me a problem.

When I’m wanting to get a newer one I’ll ask a relative or friend if they want my old tv.

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

My old Panasonic plasma is apparently still going strong in it's new home. It is 15 years old.

I'll be disappointed to not get at least 10 out of my current set.

The old plasma tvs were built like tanks, and were as heavy.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I got a Samsung repaired with no charge when the screen went a bit funny about 3 years after I'd bought it. Richer Sounds, though, and they go to 6 years on tellies, I think.

If Currys don't offer a repair FOC, tell them that you'll get a replacement from Richer Sounds as they have their customer service taped down much better than Currys.

We had an tv that we bought from John Lewis - 5 year warranty. What they don't tell you is that they will take it away  to fix it. They had ours for two months.

16 minutes ago, westbow said:

We had an tv that we bought from John Lewis - 5 year warranty. What they don't tell you is that they will take it away  to fix it. They had ours for two months.

2 months!! Did they give you a temporary set while you are waiting?

Heartsmad1874

I've had mine a few years but i'm pretty tempted to replace it with a massive one i seen in Costco.

Pretty expensive though so might be a long wait :lol: 

On 21/10/2020 at 16:27, Ray Gin said:

2 months!! Did they give you a temporary set while you are waiting?

Sorry just checked in. They sure didn't. Don't know if they replace anything. Real shambles too. It was sitting waiting for us after they fixed (at the old pick up place behind st. James centre) it but they didn't think to let us know. Had to chase them up a lot.

Preston Jambo

Bought an LG TV a few years ago from Littlewoods and it packed in after about 18 months.

My Wife who worked for Littlewoods at the time had a whinge about this to one of their legal people during a work meeting. He said if it fails so soon it was not fit for purpose when bought and we should raise this with them.

We did this and they asked us to get an estimate for repairing it. They decided the estimate was too risky and paid for a replacement and refunded the cost of the estimate.