Beer 52 - too good to be true?

jambostuart

Beer 52 offering a free beer box as part of a cancel anytime subscription. 

First billing date is 17/11/2020 and box would arrive 24th October

What would stop me taking said box and cancelling my subscription and just gaining a box of beer? Surely this is too good to be true?

www.beer52.com

8 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

What would stop me taking said box and cancelling my subscription and just gaining a box of beer? Surely this is too good to be true?

www.beer52.com

They’ll offer you a box for a tenner or so if you ask to cancel, in my experience. 🍻

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

They’ll offer you a box for a tenner or so if you ask to cancel, in my experience. 🍻

Seems like a pretty decent deal. Try a few beers out and not have to pay anything outside of postage. Will tide me over until I can scrounge enough funds to buy a PD machine (most likely next month).

2 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Seems like a pretty decent deal. Try a few beers out and not have to pay anything outside of postage. Will tide me over until I can scrounge enough funds to buy a PD machine (most likely next month).

It worked out well for me. 🍻🍻

33 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

www.beer52.com

All I'm gonna say is, read the google reviews, there is a reason why they only rate 2.6 on the reviews.

By all means take the freebie then get shot of them PDQ.

These sort of deals, you usually just pay for postage and can cancel any time, just getting the first one for the cost of shipping.

I'd check the print, but there should be nothing stopping you.  They make enough of a profit from the people that stay on, even if it's just 1 in 10 that don't bother cancelling.   You sometimes have to wait 24 hours before cancelling, to increase the chance of you forgetting! 

:cheers:

They have been plugging this on a couple of podcasts I use for a while now. Think they charge a fiver for the postage, then you are free to cancel before the second, full price delivery.. No catch as far as I am aware.

You have to phone up to cancel so I think they just count on people letting the subscription continue as they're too lazy to cancel - I speak from experience as I've been meaning to cancel mine for months and still not got around to it! 

Riddley Walker
12 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

You have to phone up to cancel so I think they just count on people letting the subscription continue as they're too lazy to cancel - I speak from experience as I've been meaning to cancel mine for months and still not got around to it! 

Exactly what happened to me. The phoneline was only open til half 4 Mon-Fri and cos I was working just kept it on for 6 mnths until I got a new bank card :facepalm:

I've used this before. No catch and they cancel no bother as well. Pretty sure they gave me the chance for another box for minimal cash a year later after cancelling too. Which I also took, and subsequently cancelled straight away.

They are Edinburgh based.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

All I'm gonna say is, read the google reviews, there is a reason why they only rate 2.6 on the reviews.

By all means take the freebie then get shot of them PDQ.

This.

I used them for a while and never had any problems. I just emailed to cancel a few months ago and they replied saying no problem. 

would use them again if I fancy it some other time. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

My experience with them has been decent as well. I signed up on the back of a podcast offer back at the start of lockdown and have kept it going since. They offer some really interesting beers and there is a real mix of stuff in each box.

I signed up for an offer a few months back which gave me £5 off each month for the rest of my subscription and I think two extra beers each month as well.

A mate of mine knows somebody who works for them, she says the best way to cancel is to email as stated above.

Has certainly added to my palate over lockdown.

Used them a few years back on a promotion.

Only paid P & P.

Cancelled before the next months payment no problem at all.

Wasnt that  impressed with the beer they sent out though.

When you go to cancel after they hike up to full price it is more work than going to court in my experience. 

Due to covid you must call this number, due to covid we are unable to take calls etc etc. 

Decent concept but with all these subscription boxes I would probably be long term subscriber if they provided long term low prices and not feel like I'm getting ripped off after 3 cases. 

Should be rewarded for long term loyalty and price decreases not the other way round

Good experience of Beer 52. Lot more flexibility than they used to have. I only get a box of 10 every second month now as apposed to having to have one every month initially, or then having to contact them to delay/cancel etc.

Have tried others like Flavourly which tend to be cheaper but the quality of beer isn't nearly the same.

Cheers for the responses everyone. I've ordered a box and will cancel next week. Hopefully not too much of a faff to cancel!

9 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Good experience of Beer 52. Lot more flexibility than they used to have. I only get a box of 10 every second month now as apposed to having to have one every month initially, or then having to contact them to delay/cancel etc.

Have tried others like Flavourly which tend to be cheaper but the quality of beer isn't nearly the same.

Same here. I tend to pause mine every other month also so it's just a treat once in a while. Quality of beer is good and you get a wee magazine from the place the beer is from (Had a few crackers in the past like Holland and New Zealand).

2 hours ago, Gone said:

Are the beers decent? Keep getting adverts through the door but never signed up

Yes 👍 lots of random ones you won't find in the supermarket aswell.

Pale Ales, craft lagers, darker ales etc.

11 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Yes 👍 lots of random ones you won't find in the supermarket aswell.

Pale Ales, craft lagers, darker ales etc.

Might give it a go then. Need some cardboard boxes anyway so what the hell :D

3 hours ago, Gone said:

Are the beers decent? Keep getting adverts through the door but never signed up

I got a box and there were only 3 decent beers, the milk ales are boggin and I got 3.

23 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I got a box and there were only 3 decent beers, the milk ales are boggin and I got 3.

Milk ales... are they exactly what they say on the tin? Not good for the old lactose intolerant eh? Haha

The beer is really good tbh, I had a coffee porter that tasted just like a flat white and was fantastic. I got about 5 boxes in total, was never unsatisfied but it isnt cheap when you are paying full whack.

You can argue that you are paying for exclusivity and you can't buy the beer in the shop but there is such a vast range, cheaper on most supermarkets now that it was hard to justify.

Cancelling was easy, called them, spoke to a girl who was on her first day and it was cancelled there and then. Tried to entice me to stay and use up some credits but knew I would then procrastinate for months and forget to cancel again

I just cancelled my subscription with Beer52 a couple of weeks ago, after about a year as a member. Generally positive experience. The first 2 or 3 cases off them were excellent, and I tried some really nice beers. A few really quirky ones. Then I started feeling like all the cases became a bit samey. Too many IPA's in the one case that tasted very similar to the last.

Tried to cancel back in March when I moved into my new flat and didn't think I could afford it. They offered to pause for 3 months and give me the VIP package early when I resumed, so I did it. But still never quite enjoyed it again. Now I've discovered a shop near me that stocks German beers and various other world beers. I feel like I'm better off just spending £30 in there on an assortment of beers I know I'll love.

I think I'll miss the snacks more than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

I just cancelled my subscription with Beer52 a couple of weeks ago, after about a year as a member. Generally positive experience. The first 2 or 3 cases off them were excellent, and I tried some really nice beers. A few really quirky ones. Then I started feeling like all the cases became a bit samey. Too many IPA's in the one case that tasted very similar to the last.

Tried to cancel back in March when I moved into my new flat and didn't think I could afford it. They offered to pause for 3 months and give me the VIP package early when I resumed, so I did it. But still never quite enjoyed it again. Now I've discovered a shop near me that stocks German beers and various other world beers. I feel like I'm better off just spending £30 in there on an assortment of beers I know I'll love.

I think I'll miss the snacks more than anything else. 

There was some really good beers....to start with, and like you say it all became much the same and a lot of this new style IPA's  which are more like a bottle of breezer than what I'd call an IPA/beer.  What I didn't like was that you didn't get a choice in what they sent you, unlike beers of europe for example, where you make up the case yourself, chosing what beers you want & a lot cheaper as well.

Anyway, what did it for me was back in January, I'd ordered the Alpine pack which was the next pack in my subscription, 4 Jan they took the money, 8 Jan got an email saying there would be a delay, Christmas/New Year holidays & bad weather in the alps they said.

Kept checking my orders page on their website, 23 Jan order being packed and no changes or cancellations can be made now, but no worries as they listed the 12 Alpine beers that were being packed, 24 Jan order dispatched and wtf, 12 different beers listed and had been dispatched from the 12 that were supposibly packed the day before, 25 Jan order delivered and right enough 12 Lost & Found beers (pish, crap shit).

Contacted them via email, basically didn't want to know, attitude was what are you moaning at you got 12 beers what's the problem, besides under our T&C's if we run out of a beer we can subsitute for another, not all fecking 12 I thought, they knew they couldn't fulfill the order but said feck all about it until it was too late for me to cancel the case. 

Cancelled my subscription there and then.