Celtic Boys Club

Francis Albert

What always annoyed me was that Celtic FC continued to distance themselves by claiming that Celtic Boys Club had no link with the football cub.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• Bull's-eye

• Mikey1874

• John Findlay

Top Posters In This Topic

Colonel Kurtz
28 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

What always annoyed me was that Celtic FC continued to distance themselves by claiming that Celtic Boys Club had no link with the football cub.es

Celtic are taking the same stance as the Catholic Church took in for example Boston saying that individual diosceses sp  were responsible and not the Vatican.This position reduces the potential financial liability of any litigation.

Morally reprehensible

On 21/10/2020 at 08:48, Locky said:

My biggest issue here, like others is the desperate attemps to deny any links with the boys club. Celtic are sadly far from alone in the coach abuse scandal, we know that. But from what I recall in news etc. Other clubs have stood up, faced their problems and cut all ties with the coaches in question and even paid compensation to the victims. It's surely what you do, right?

Not Celtic though. Hellbent on proving that the youth setup was a seperate entity and therefore they have zero responsibility. It's an absolute shitshow. Any time I debate this with people I know, I get laughed off because apparently, I only feel this way because it's Celtic. I couldn't care if it's Glasgow Celtic, Gala Fairydean or Heart of Midlothian. Any club with the moral bankruptcy to bury their head in the sand on this matter, is an absolute disgrace.

Yes, unlike other clubs caught out in paedophile scandals, Celtic decided to go into denial mode. Not only that, they went out and employed a PR company, Hollicom, to handle the situation to help suppress the possibility of any negativity in the media.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Yes, unlike other clubs caught out in paedophile scandals, Celtic decided to go into denial mode. Not only that, they went out and employed a PR company, Hollicom, to handle the situation to help suppress the possibility of any negativity in the media.

Crewe have been just as much of a disgrace down south 

8 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Highlighting child abuse is in bad taste and as for sweeping it under the carpet I'm sure there's plenty of victims around that do that gladly.

It beats me why you make that statement. It’s well documented that victims of pedophilia carry the mental scars all their life and many to their credit refuse to be silent victims. What surprises me is that the Scottish press has been largely silent on the Celtic boys club case, apart from reporting the trial. The Guardian to its credit has simply stated the facts.

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

What always annoyed me was that Celtic FC continued to distance themselves by claiming that Celtic Boys Club had no link with the football cub.

They didn't in the 90s tbh. 

52 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

Just read the article, harrowing. 

Totally agree and maybe we should all pause for a minute and think about the victims of all child abuse and what they are going through.

Edited by OldGorgie

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

67 undoubtedly was the high water mark for Scottish football and unlikely to be repeated ever FA. My dad was Celtic but he encouraged me to support Hearts due to Hearts being my local team. Cheers Dad !

I know it’s been mentioned before about the dates Torbett was/wasn’t around Celtic Boys Club especially in the newspaper article. 

I’m going to chuck in a bit of theory which I will state up front that I can’t support in any way shape or form in terms of proof.

Torbett got fired from Celtic in 74, from various sources I have heard that this was down to Jock Stein, and he (Jock Stein) was mighty pissed off that the club wouldn’t give full disclosure to the police. His being fired was down to Stein who did know all about the allegations and was prepared to go all the way but CFC didn’t want the negative publicity.

Jock Stein left Celtic for Leeds in 78 before accepting the role as Scotland manager. The usual story was that he was promised a position on the board but it was opposed on the grounds he was a Protestant. Other versions say it was because he had Torbett fired and was never forgiven for that. Me? I don’t know at all.

In any case, in 1978, the year Stein left Celtic, Torbett was able to resume his role as paedo no 1 at Celtic Boys Club and kept abusing young boys for many a year thereafter.

Just so I’m clear, this has nothing to do with any dislike/hatred of Celtic as a club. As many posters have already said, had this been Hearts we would have been just as disgusted. Probably even more due to it being our club.

As a bit of an aside I recall reading that Stein was offered the job of running Celtic Pools on his departure

presumably before the Leeds job. Imagine insulting your greatest ever manager like that! Not that we did any better by Tommy Walker. Your speculation is interesting but if right it is hard to explain why Stein stayed silent after he had left Celtic or even before. 

11 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Highlighting child abuse is in bad taste and as for sweeping it under the carpet I'm sure there's plenty of victims around that do that gladly.

This isn't a debate about child abuse it's about sticking the boot into a Football club in the lowest possible way, it's actually very sick imo.

For Heaven's sake...

On 20/10/2020 at 17:58, DH1986 said:

If this was anyone other than one half of the OF involved it would have been the aim of countless journos to get this tragic story out in the open decades before it did.

Its been ignored for too long and the victims deserve justice.

This is the Scottish Football equivalent of the story in the movie Spotlight and those who ignored it because its Celtic should be forever ashamed of themselves.

This

N Lincs Jambo
44 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As a bit of an aside I recall reading that Stein was offered the job of running Celtic Pools on his departure

presumably before the Leeds job. Imagine insulting your greatest ever manager like that! Not that we did any better by Tommy Walker. Your speculation is interesting but if right it is hard to explain why Stein stayed silent after he had left Celtic or even before. 

FA, as I said it is pure speculation on my part. Offering him the job of running Celtic pools was undoubtedly a huge snub and that fact is well known. What is known speculation is that it had been widely reported that he had been offered board membership but that had been opposed due to him being a Protestant. There had never been a non-Catholic on the board.

I had heard around the time, probably from my dad but as he died in 78 I can’t verify this, was that Stein had got the paedo out of the boys club but that the main club stopped it going any further. This is the speculation which is massively less known however the dates do stack up.

I also heard that a similar story existed about a Rangers player in the 90s. The press were going to run with it but RFC intervened and the story got buried.

Carl Fredrickson
17 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

FA, as I said it is pure speculation on my part. Offering him the job of running Celtic pools was undoubtedly a huge snub and that fact is well known. What is known speculation is that it had been widely reported that he had been offered board membership but that had been opposed due to him being a Protestant. There had never been a non-Catholic on the board.

I had heard around the time, probably from my dad but as he died in 78 I can’t verify this, was that Stein had got the paedo out of the boys club but that the main club stopped it going any further. This is the speculation which is massively less known however the dates do stack up.

I also heard that a similar story existed about a Rangers player in the 90s. The press were going to run with it but RFC intervened and the story got buried.

If this is the same story as I heard it involved an incident in a car at a park at/near Livingston. Police were involved but the case incident was covered up. I am sure plenty of people will have heard this at the time.

Stein was treated poorly by Celtic but many clubs do similar with managers/players/coaches they no longer want. 

N Lincs Jambo
4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

If this is the same story as I heard it involved an incident in a car at a park at/near Livingston. Police were involved but the case incident was covered up. I am sure plenty of people will have heard this at the time.

Stein was treated poorly by Celtic but many clubs do similar with managers/players/coaches they no longer want. 

No idea tbh CF, I just remember Hearts fans (and fans of other clubs) singing the “with a packet of sweets and a sheepish smile, said player is an effing paedophile” song. Don’t remember the incident in question but I wasn’t living in Scotland at the time.

37 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I think one or two (maybe all?) of the families that owned Celtic had connections with Torbett business wise 

Celtic were badly served by these people

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

I think one or two (maybe all?) of the families that owned Celtic had connections with Torbett business wise 

They certainly were.

16 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Kevin Kelly and Torbett were thick as thieves, in business and personally which is why Torbett was allowed back into the club...to abuse again.

Torbett owned the Trophy Centre shop in glasgow and Kelly was involved in it too

13 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

This isn't a debate about child abuse it's about sticking the boot into a Football club in the lowest possible way, it's actually very sick imo.

outrageous statement, perpetrators needs punished and a message needs sent out loud and clear this will be met with strongest punishment, don’t give a shit what club it is.

Toxteth O'Grady
33 minutes ago, Hesh said:

outrageous statement, perpetrators needs punished and a message needs sent out loud and clear this will be met with strongest punishment, don’t give a shit what club it is.

Bull’s Eye misses the board