Richest clubs launch plan to be richer - European Premier League

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

Talks are happening at the moment between the biggest clubs and backed by FIFA to launch the European Premier league, it would have 18 teams (with 12 teams from the top 5 leagues in Europe already sounded up and could have up to 5 Premier league teams.) Could have a minimum of 34 games for each team (with a knock out competition for the teams at the top after.) 4 billlion pounds is hoped to be the money in the league. FIFA are backing this (doesn't appear UEFA are so seems another power grab between the two)

There are no words. These clubs will see the world burn if it gives them a little more money. The same with Project Big Picture.

5 clubs from a league with a big 6...

I can see tears and snotters from Chelsea, Arsenal or as is more likely Spurs

Who do we expect makes up the 18?

Bayern, Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Juve take us to 10 of the 12.

I'm surprised to see there will be 6 from outwith the 5 biggest league to be honest.

Hopefully their globetrotting wankfest for plastic supporters in the Middle East, Far East and North America happens. 

Hopefully it is like a Rugby Union/League split. They can have their own Association, non-contact football, VAR etc... We can go back to a more traditional way. More domestic based sides like past eras and strip back some of the shite rules that have been introduced over the years. 

Hope it happens. Good riddance. 

Pasquale for King

Just greed, but if it means Lawell and Doncaster on their UEFA committee are marginalised then that’s one positive. 

My stab at what a league of 18x could look like. Have included Celtic, perhaps out of wishful thinking. Would love to see the back of them frankly.

Does get you thinking about some massive clubs that would miss out. To name a few- Tottenham, Benfica, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Schalke, the list goes on. 

Anyway, don't like the idea at all!

Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
PSG
Marseille
Ajax
Porto
Celtic

High risk making it a league. 

Just adapting the Champions League. 

I don't know the viewing figures just now. Whether current league games get more or less than knock out games. 

Seems current set up is pretty good. And making it a closed shop. Is there relegation? What does it look like in 30 years? 

Atalanta or Leicester certainly don't get in. These sort of teams are an inconvenience in the Closed Shop. 

Ever since Infantino became the head man at Fifa, this was always on the cards and getting Fifa backing.

In time Infantino will be proven to be more corrupt than Blatter ever was.

This is greed pure and simple.

These clubs have no respect for the game and the history of the game.

I hope one day it all goes tits up for them.

J.T.F.Robertson
28 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I have already got bored with Champions League football.  I would have no interest in this whatsoever.  

Seconded! Don't care how good the are, bores me shitless.

Already bored with it. 

I hope they don’t plan on leaving Colt teams in their home leagues. And I say that because this will inevitable lead to Euro Super Duper League 2nd Division with the likes of Celtic and Rangers. 

Like everyone on this forum I'm a football fan but Champions League just leaves me cold.
Tbh if I can find a stream of Aberdeen v Hamilton tonight I'd watch that ahead of Man Utd plc v PSG plc

9 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

I like the sound of it. Would open the door for a British league in my opinion, would love a wee away day or two dan saff. 👍🏻

Cracking. Away trips to Fleetwood and Yeovil 😴

41 minutes ago, Jambo_Lambo said:

My stab at what a league of 18x could look like. Have included Celtic, perhaps out of wishful thinking. Would love to see the back of them frankly.

Does get you thinking about some massive clubs that would miss out. To name a few- Tottenham, Benfica, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Schalke, the list goes on. 

Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
PSG
Marseille
Ajax
Porto
Celtic

:rofl:

Aye right.

More chance of it being Red Star Belgrade than Celtic even getting a sniff of that league.

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cracking. Away trips to Fleetwood and Yeovil 😴

Has to be better than Arbroath 😂😂😂 tbf fleetwood is a brilliant away day, I know a few jambos in the McCod army 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Inevitable that football is going to follow the closed shop NFL like model.  Will be the end of football imo.

Exact reason that Man U and Liverpool's american owners are pushing stuff like this, they don't seem to get that the model only works for the NFL because there are only 16 games so the fixtures don't become hugely repetitive (things like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady acing each other last weekend for only the 3rd time in their careers just won't happen with 34 games a season )

45 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I have already got bored with Champions League football.  I would have no interest in this whatsoever.  

I've never even watched Champions League in over 10 years! Actually....probably more. No interest whatsoever in a competition that's wrongly named in the first place. It should be a Champions trophy for Champions of each country only, not 2nd/3rd/4th placed.

Apart from the Money-Grabbers League as I now call it, I did think of a Euro League in some format would've been good for us lesser mortals. When you think back to some of the big names that played in Europe in the 70s/80s/90s that you rarely hear of now. I had thought when the covid hit the fan that I would've loved it if some countries got together and formed a euro league. The thought of a Hearts v Hamburg-type game home and away (first club that came to mind) excites me more than a Hearts v Morton or whoever. Imagine if some clubs resigned from their respective leagues and formed a Euro League 1 and League 2. Each league with maybe 16 teams in each with promotion/relegation and play-offs. The countries of these teams would still have enough clubs to regenerate their own leagues. Hibs and all the rest can still play in the SPHell while we move up level or two from anything here. The thought of being away from dodgy officialdom in Scotland......ah...if only!

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Hopefully their globetrotting wankfest for plastic supporters in the Middle East, Far East and North America happens. 

Hopefully it is like a Rugby Union/League split. They can have their own Association, non-contact football, VAR etc... We can go back to a more traditional way. More domestic based sides like past eras and strip back some of the shite rules that have been introduced over the years. 

Couldn't agree more.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I’m on this train. 

19 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Can’t see German clubs going for this. 

€€€€€€, ££££££, $$$$$

I wouldn’t imagine they will want to miss out on their place at the trough.

1 hour ago, Jambo_Lambo said:

Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
PSG
Marseille
Ajax
Porto
Celtic

Follow the money...There will be Russian involvement long before Scotland.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Ever since Infantino became the head man at Fifa, this was always on the cards and getting Fifa backing.

In time Infantino will be proven to be more corrupt than Blatter ever was.

This is greed pure and simple.

These clubs have no respect for the game and the history of the game.

I hope one day it all goes tits up for them.

Red Card is an interesting read if you haven’t already.

Embarrassing just how bad FIFA are. 

Would be interesting to see 2 teams from the top 5 leagues, then play offs from the winners of the rest of the leagues to fill up the last 6 spots. Some sort of promotion and relegation back to your country league if you come bottom or something. Hearts pushing to win the league to enter a 4 billion pound tournament 😁

1 hour ago, Weebroon98 said:

No way are the weegies getting in this

I'm not so sure. They pulled an audience on Sky of over 1.4 million last December. That's the type of thing the organisers of this plan will be looking for. TV numbers are their goal.

16 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm not so sure. They pulled an audience on Sky of over 1.4 million last December. That's the type of thing the organisers of this plan will be looking for. TV numbers are their goal.

Exactly. The old firm are a pull, regardless of how we feel about it. 

And yes, they are trouble off the pitch but so are the likes of Ajax and Chelsea. 

17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think the bigot brothers would eventually get in. Everyone Apart from us seems to lap them up. It’s just really good banter don’t you know.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Exactly. The old firm are a pull, regardless of how we feel about it. 

And potentially an even greater pull if facing these Euro giants. I would hazard a guess that whoever is behind this will be looking around simply number crunching. Who would pull the biggest audiences.

I actually find this a little sad. I’ve grown up knowing these teams and their leagues and this just seems like an irreversible step away from the sport I love. 

Still, hell mend them and I hope they see

crowds suffer and their fans get increasingly disillusioned when games get played in Saudi Arabia and Miami. Plus I doubt it will be fun for the likes of Porto to be finishing bottom 3 year on year. 

But I genuinely feel - and hope - the majority of their supporters* will be agains this. 

*season ticket holders, mainly

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Same here.

Football without emotional involvement is plastic.

If it happens  the Uglies may well get into English football,  I hope!

This is just the first step.

There will be regionalised leagues for the clubs who missed out ie North/South Europe with a play-off competition to gain access to the big league.

Rangers and Celtic will be involved in that....no doubt about it.

What Scottish Football cannot do is allow them to continue playing in any of the Scottish competitions. Don’t allow Colt teams and don’t allow them to buy up another club. We also cannot just let them back when they realise they’re out their depth.

This situation was always going to happen eventually.....and when it comes it’ll be good riddance to them both.

jamboinglasgow
58 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Can’t see German clubs going for this. 

Bayern Munich have been one of the main drivers behind a elite club league for years as they feel that they are hel back by being way ahead of the rest of the league.

3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Same here.

Football without emotional involvement is plastic.

If it happens  the Uglies may well get into English football,  I hope!

While if they were gone the game in Scotland would become far more competitive which is obviously good. It may well result in even less cash within our game.

Currently only those two are ever qualifying for Euro groups. How much harder would that be if there were even less money in the game and the Euro ranking were sinking ever lower?

It's a double edged sword.

Edited by JFK-1

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Never have paid to watch and never will!

Geddyalexneil

Like many others I got bored of the Champions League. Same clubs in them nearly every year, same clubs get through groups, pretty well guess the semi and finalists before it starts. It is boring as hell.

With the old European cup there was more upsets and better chances of smaller teams pulling a surprise. It had an element of surprise. It was a "football" tournament more than "who has the most finances" tournament. 

Also agree that should the gruesomes be involved then we need to fight tooth and nail to make sure they go completely. No bloody colts nonsense.  God bye and good riddance!

17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Bayern Munich have been one of the main drivers behind a elite club league for years as they feel that they are hel back by being way ahead of the rest of the league.

Or as it’s known in Scotland, the Celtic excuse. 

Sanitised synthetic football. Put together for no other reason than to make money. If it happens they are welcome to it.  It might well have the knock on effect of making the game in the UK more competitive and attractive  - UK league perhaps from what’s left.

11 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Sanitised synthetic football. Put together for no other reason than to make money. If it happens they are welcome to it.  It might well have the knock on effect of making the game in the UK more competitive and attractive  - UK league perhaps from what’s left.

I agree, and I like the sound of a UK league. If that goes ahead then it blows a hole in the idea that leagues must be based on nations or associations.

Edited by upgotheheads

So can we assume that entry to this league won't be on merit? Teams like Arsenal and AC Milan getting in ahead of the likes of Leicester and Atalanta purely based on financial power? I can see a few of these clubs having tantrums about this set up because in any league someones going to have to be dead last and don't think any of the rich clubs would take that.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dayman said:

Would be interesting to see 2 teams from the top 5 leagues, then play offs from the winners of the rest of the leagues to fill up the last 6 spots. Some sort of promotion and relegation back to your country league if you come bottom or something. Hearts pushing to win the league to enter a 4 billion pound tournament 😁

No relegation for 20 years apparently. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I think the bigot brothers would eventually get in. Everyone Apart from us seems to lap them up. It’s just really good banter don’t you know.

Until the reality of having their revolting fans invade your city and then having to go to Glasgow twice a season kicks in. 

Anyone remember Rollerball? James Caan film from the 70’s, bear with me on this one.

Super rich teams from around the world playing a sport against each other, players making obscene amounts of money representing ruthless owners. Teams flying on planes to matches in far flung cities where only the biggest and richest could compete. 
Seemed ridiculous at the time, and now they want it to happen in football.
Give the European super league a few years and they start to eye up the big Argentinian and Brazilian teams with their huge crowds and money-making potential, or closer to home the Egyptian teams that draw huge fanatical supports to their games. next thing you know football is even more of a global money-making machine for the few. Live crowds are just eye candy to make the matches more exciting on screen. Young kids give up on their local teams to support the mega teams, or franchises more correctly. The slow death of football as we know and love it. 

Edited by Tazio