Champions League 2020/21

Morgan

Ibrahim Tall
5 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

City to win it finally? Has pep won the champions league at every club he has been at?

Nah, he ‘only’ won domestic trophies at Bayern.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• Morgan

• CJGJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CloustonHMFC
43 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Nah, he ‘only’ won domestic trophies at Bayern.

While he didn´t win the CL he did win the Club World Cup and the Uefa Super Cup with Bayern.

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Football League always have their playoffs on the Bank Holiday weekend in May and are scheduled for Wembley. The CL Final is on 29th too so this would rule Wembley out (unless the EFL decided to move but this would be opposed as fan attendance will look to be maximised). 

Why not somewhere like the Emirates or that Spurs stadium?

Give Istanbul a CL final another year.

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Why not somewhere like the Emirates or that Spurs stadium?

Give Istanbul a CL final another year.

I'd like to think that since Wembley is the biggest stadium in the country, the six EFL clubs who get to the finals will want to get the maximum number of their supporters in the ground based on what % is allowed. 

I fully agree that taking the CL final to Turkey is now needless and another English ground could host the final - just not Wembley. 

Tasavallan
36 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just mad.   UEFA are living in a bubble.  Should be rearranged to somewhere with minimal travel and no planes.  Boris should ban travelling.

Mikey1874
Just now, Tasavallan said:

Just mad.   UEFA are living in a bubble.  Should be rearranged to somewhere with minimal travel and no planes.  Boris should ban travelling.

It's just following what they did with insisting on travel for 2 legged rounds. That was more ignorant. 

Peakybunnet

Turkey is currently in the middle of a full lockdown which will last until 17th may. Covid cases are still high.

The government advice just now is not to travel there. 

They need to put Turkey in the red zone to prevent travel there after 17th May. 

Its not safe and 8k football fans many of whom wont have had a vaccine due to age  will no doubt bring back multiple case of covid to the UK.

They can still play there but with  no UK fans. I would imagine UEFA will be heavily contracted to hold the match there. 

Nookie Bear
21 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Turkey is currently in the middle of a full lockdown which will last until 17th may. Covid cases are still high.

Its not safe and 8k football fans many of whom wont have had a vaccine due to age  will no doubt bring back multiple case of covid to the UK.

They can still play there but with  no UK fans. I would imagine UEFA will be heavily contracted to hold the match there. 

Plus is Turkey not being used to get round the UKs quarantine laws?

as for the bit in bold, the phrase is "heavily rewarded with brown envelopes"

Whilst convenient, I'm not in support of moving it to Wembley or another English ground.

Istanbul are the hosts and it's a Champions League final. It shouldn't be adjusted to grounds nearest the finalists just because they're both from one country. Otherwise it makes it more like a League cup final or the like.

Nookie Bear
30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whilst convenient, I'm not in support of moving it to Wembley or another English ground.

Istanbul are the hosts and it's a Champions League final. It shouldn't be adjusted to grounds nearest the finalists just because they're both from one country. Otherwise it makes it more like a League cup final or the like.

But this is on public health grounds, not convenience. 

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But this is on public health grounds, not convenience. 

Would it be being mooted if it was Real Vs City?

If Istanbul isn't safe, it isn't safe...regardless of where the two teams are from.

Turkey is in full lockdown with rising covid cases. Its irresponsible to have unnecessary travel there and back from the UK. 

Move it or host it with no fans. 

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Would it be being mooted if it was Real Vs City?

If Istanbul isn't safe, it isn't safe...regardless of where the two teams are from.

Fair point but there would be no justification in mooting it if it was Man C v Real. 

To have two sets of fans travelling from the same country when there are a dozen stadiums they could use locally (and which potentially allow a bigger crowd) seems logical this year. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Fair point but there would be no justification in mooting it if it was Man C v Real. 

To have two sets of fans travelling from the same country when there are a dozen stadiums they could use locally (and which potentially allow a bigger crowd) seems logical this year. 

True but you also had that at the 2019 final where two sets of fans travelled to the same country to a smaller stadium than available domestically. It too would have minimised risk to public health to host that domestically too, as would always be the case (pollution, travel accidents etc). 

Anyway, agree to disagree as it's not work falling out over 👍

22 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Villa Park for the final. Give Istanbul the final next year. 

Turkey now on red list so no fans likely to travel there (as is Poland)

UEFA need to bite the bullet and move the final/finals to the UK, Portugal or Israel

On 06/05/2021 at 12:19, Peakybunnet said:

Aberdeen will no doubt offer to host this one as well.

On 07/05/2021 at 18:10, CJGJ said:

Turkey now on red list so no fans likely to travel there (as is Poland)

UEFA need to bite the bullet and move the final/finals to the UK, Portugal or Israel

Maybe hang back with Israel at the minute ?

AlimOzturk
On 06/05/2021 at 12:33, Taffin said:

Pretty unique times though ain’t it? Normally I agree but with the pandemic and shit fans can’t go. Having the players travelling to a country in full lockdown is hardly ideal preparation. Moving it to England is just the logical move IMO. 

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Pretty unique times though ain’t it? Normally I agree but with the pandemic and shit fans can’t go. Having the players travelling to a country in full lockdown is hardly ideal preparation. Moving it to England is just the logical move IMO. 

They're as unique times as folk wish to make them I guess. As I mentioned before, there's always been a case for hosting finals in the home country of one of the teams and especially when both teams are from one country.

It's always safer, it's always better for the environment and people's health and it would almost always allow more fans to attend. Do we usually move the finals? No. Do government usually ban travel to try and get it moved? No.

As long as we continue to make 'unique' decisions, we'll be in unique times.

30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They're as unique times as folk wish to make them I guess. As I mentioned before, there's always been a case for hosting finals in the home country of one of the teams and especially when both teams are from one country.

It's always safer, it's always better for the environment and people's health and it would almost always allow more fans to attend. Do we usually move the finals? No. Do government usually ban travel to try and get it moved? No.

As long as we continue to make 'unique' decisions, we'll be in unique times.

The government has not made a unique decision though.

They have made the same decisions that they have done in the last year.

Closing borders to countries where the pandemic has got out of control.

The match has to move to a country that has the pandemic under control

14 minutes ago, benny said:

The government has not made a unique decision though.

They have made the same decisions that they have done in the last year.

Closing borders to countries where the pandemic has got out of control.

The match has to move to a country that has the pandemic under control

The last year sort of encompasses the period of uniqueness that Alim was referring too. 

Look forward to finals being moved left, right and centre going forward as there are always good reasons to move them (many the same as currently (fan attendance, health and safety)) as I've pointed out. There is nothing unique about it being sensible to move a final, what's unique is that we're taking actions to make that happen.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

The last year sort of encompasses the period of uniqueness that Alim was referring too. 

Look forward to finals being moved left, right and centre going forward as there are always good reasons to move them (many the same as currently (fan attendance, health and safety)) as I've pointed out. There is nothing unique about it being sensible to move a final, what's unique is that we're taking actions to make that happen.

Sensible actions in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, benny said:

Sensible actions in my opinion.

Never said they weren't. I just don't support moving finals after the fact based on where it is now sensible to host them once the finalists are known.

Hosting it in Instanbul was never sensible to begin with given the likelihood of the teams competing in it being as far away as possible from Istanbul.

Sensible isn't a Uefa criteria for selecting hosts for finals.

26 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Never said they weren't. I just don't support moving finals after the fact based on where it is now sensible to host them once the finalists are known.

Hosting it in Instanbul was never sensible to begin with given the likelihood of the teams competing in it being as far away as possible from Istanbul.

Sensible isn't a Uefa criteria for selecting hosts for finals.

Istanbul got this season's Champions League final because it lost last year's. It got last year's before Covid. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Istanbul got this season's Champions League final because it lost last year's. It got last year's before Covid. 

I know.

Covid or no Covid, if we're using 'sensible' as the criteria for hosting a final...don't you think Istanbul would be low on the list of European Cities to host?

Bindy Badgy
49 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I know.

Covid or no Covid, if we're using 'sensible' as the criteria for hosting a final...don't you think Istanbul would be low on the list of European Cities to host?

As far as access is concerned, it's a bit far away from the countries that are likely to provide the finalists but, I don't think it's too bad. Istanbul is a major hub serviced by lots of cheap flights. A quick look of Sky Scanner turns up sub £300 flights from Edinburgh and Glasgow later this month. I assume they would be more expensive for the days around the final but, that's the same wherever the final is held.

Obivously, Turkish fans have a certain reputation. The fact that it's English clubs in the final may bring the local bams out of the woodwork.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

49 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I know.

Istanbul deserves it as much as any city if all is well.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I know.

London is more dangerous than Istanbul.

More political assassinations. Why does Wembley have the Euro 2020 semi finals and final?

English fans attending the Champions League final in Porto between Manchester City and Chelsea will have to fly in and out of the country on the day of the match, the Portuguese government said.

They will also need to stay in a 'bubble' while in the city.

Uefa announced on Thursday that 6,000 fans from each club will be able to attend the final on 29 May.

The final was moved from Turkey because of coronavirus restrictions.

Portugal is on England's green list so players and fans can attend without having to quarantine on their return home. Turkey is on the red list.

Portugal's cabinet affairs minister Mariana Vieira da Silva said a set of rules had been put in place for those fans attending the final.

"Those who come to the final of the Champions League will come and return on the same day, with a test done, in a bubble situation, on charter flights," she said.

"There will be two fan zones and from there they will be moved to the stadium and from the stadium to the airport, being in Portugal less than 24 hours.

"Obviously those coming by plane [to be in Porto while the match is on but do not actually go the stadium] will comply with the established rules and security measures will be put in place as happened in Lisbon last year."

She said the restrictions put in place were to ensure that Covid rates remain low in Portugal.

Vieira da Silva said that the local health authority was in charge of selecting seats for fans to ensure social distancing and that tickets were non-transferable.

Manchester City said on their website that the club would be "offering qualifying supporters an official day trip travel package from Manchester to Porto".

The final had been due to be staged at Istanbul's Ataturk Olympic Stadium.

"To deprive supporters of the chance to see the match in person was not an option and I am delighted that this compromise has been found," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

Uefa, UK government officials and the Football Association met to talk about Wembley hosting the game but no agreement could be reached on quarantine exemptions for sponsors, VIPs and broadcasters.

"Fans have had to suffer more than 12 months without the ability to see their teams live and reaching a Champions League final is the pinnacle of club football," added Ceferin.

"After the year that fans have endured, it is not right that they don't have the chance to watch their teams in the biggest game of the season."

Both Chelsea and Manchester City say they are in discussions with Uefa and other stakeholders over ticketing and travel arrangements.

City say they will offer fans a day-trip travel package from Manchester to Porto for the 20:00 BST match.

The sale of tickets to the general public will start on 24 May 2021 at 13:00 BST.

It is the second successive year the final has been held in Portugal with Lisbon the location for the delayed final stages of last season's competition, won by Bayern Munich.

The final capacity limit at the Estadio do Dragao in Porto is still to be fixed.

Ceferin acknowledged that the UK government's decision to place Turkey on the red list for travel was made in good faith but said it also left the governing body with "a major challenge".

"The difficulties of moving the final are great and the FA and the authorities made every effort to try to stage the match in England, and I would like to thank them for their work in trying to make it happen," he added.

"The Turkish Football Federation and the authorities have always been reliable partners of Uefa and I hope to be in Istanbul and Turkey for a Champions League final and many other events in the near future.

"I hope the final will be a symbol of hope at the re-emergence of Europe from a difficult period and that the fans who travel to the game will once again be able to lend their voices to showcase this final as the best in club football."