Champions League 2020/21

Morgan

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

How could calling a black guy, a black guy cause offence? 

What a load of woke nonsense. 

It’s funny how only a certain type of character uses the term “woke” as some kind of insult. Says a lot for your character mate. 

Seems like people who’ve suffered racist abuse in the past think it was offensive. But you obviously know best. 

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• Morgan

• CJGJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

People could be more resilient, less reactive. 

Moaning about football results or ill health for example. Losers, weaklings as I see it. 

Not being able to take anything in your stride is a sign of weakness.

Being upset at wokeness for example. 

Just now, Nunya Business said:

It’s funny how only a certain type of character uses the term “woke” as some kind of insult. Says a lot for your character mate. 

Seems like people who’ve suffered racist abuse in the past think it was offensive. But you obviously know best. 

No it doesn't say anything about my character at all actually. Says a lot about yours though if you believe that calling a black guy / person (a genuine and widely accepted term for someone's ethnicity which you would find on a census) a black guy/person even remotely offensive. 

It is not offensive whatsoever and it is perfectly acceptable to describe someone by their ethnicity, nationality, eye colour, hair colour or gender.

Screenshot_20201209-150112.png

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

People could be more resilient, less reactive. 

Moaning about football results or ill health for example. Losers, weaklings as I see it. 

Not being able to take anything in your stride is a sign of weakness.

Being upset at wokeness for example. 

Whatever Mikey.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Pretty much. Very little upsets me. 

Good lad. In my view that does give you the right to question the reaction from the players here.

Anyone upset at say the death of a relative or the fight against racism doesn't. 

19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It is nonsense mate. Calling a black person 'black' or a white person 'white' is a biological statement of fact. And definitely not racist.

Those that choose to vent their 'faux outrage'' are nothing more than attention seekers trying to take some moral high ground... and are actually making things more difficult or exacerbating the real problems for which they claim to be fighting.

And just for clarity, I'm not talking about anyone in particular on here- it's more a generalisation on todays society.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good lad. In my view that does give you the right to question the reaction from the players here.

Anyone upset at say the death of a relative or the fight against racism doesn't. 

I think people need to calm their shit. There is blatant racism, subliminal racism and then there is going to absurd levels of faux outrage over a 4th official describing someone's ethnic appearance using terms within his own language. It is the simplist and most effective way to describe someone. 

If there were fans making monkey chants or singing racist songs then I'd fully endorse their decision to leave the pitch. 

On this occasion however, it should have been highlighted by the clubs to UEFA for them to make a decision and the game should have been completed. 

4 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

It is nonsense mate. Calling a black person 'black' or a white person 'white' is a biological statement of fact. And definitely not racist.

Those that choose to vent their 'faux outrage'' are nothing more than attention seekers trying to take some moral high ground... and are actually making things more difficult or exacerbating the real problems for which they claim to be fighting.

And just for clarity, I'm not talking about anyone in particular on here- it's more a generalisation on todays society.

Spot on. 

fabienleclerq
53 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Because it’s needless and is likely to cause offence. Why bother having to explain yourself after saying something so profoundly stupid?

The colour of someone’s skin isn’t the only identifiable characteristic of any person. 

How's it stupid? The guy is black, describing someone as a black man is no more offensive than a white man. 

I'm all for fighting actual racism but stuff like this does nothing to do it. It wasn't racist the players have called it wrong here. 

I don't know a single person who would be offended by being described as a white/black/Asian man, even less so if they were the only one of their ethnic background in the room. 

givememychoice

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

UEFA investigation will decide. 

Obviously not everyone might agree.

Everybody never agree. (euch...bad english i think)
(note, when i say you from now on, i mean everybody, not you mikey :) )
One of the things i would say is, even if you believe this to be racist, surely you would accept that there is a scale in offence and this is near the bottom. Yet the hysteria is not at the bottom. 

So, does the hype reflect the crime. No.

But here is the thing, it is very often (and pardon the phrasing) viewed as black or white. If you think identifying a black man as being black isnt racist, then you clearly condone every last form of racism.

Ill be honest, i have Aspergers, a form of Autism. I see things very literally. To me, calling somebody who is black, black, on its own is completely acceptable. I know some of you will disagree, and thats ok. But, what if you attempt to stop me, is that impinging on me because of my disability? 
From a logical perspective, removing emotion as Aspergers tends to do, identifying by skin colour or coat colour is the same thing. It is a measurable difference.
Im not saying that people who point out somebody is black arent potentially being racist. 

And going back to the previous point, if people make too much of an issue about this, then a lot of society then ends up with the view that woke is bad.

From my view:

Dont be racist
Dont take offence if none is intended.

As an aside, would it be ok if somebody only had one leg to say the one legged one? What about crutches? or a leg in plaster?

Avoiding being racist isnt being colour blind. We can still see peoples many many colours. judging them by colour of their skin is wrong, judging them by the content of their character is right. 

The Hogfather
43 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No it doesn't say anything about my character at all actually. Says a lot about yours though if you believe that calling a black guy / person (a genuine and widely accepted term for someone's ethnicity which you would find on a census) a black guy/person even remotely offensive. 

It is not offensive whatsoever and it is perfectly acceptable to describe someone by their ethnicity, nationality, eye colour, hair colour or gender.

Screenshot_20201209-150112.png

You’d have a point if it was just me that thinks his actions were crossing the line. You’ve done a good job of pointing out many different characteristics you can identify someone as. But skin colour is obviously it’s completely beyond the realms of possibility for the 4th Official to say something along the lines of “it was the assistant manager” and that boiling him down to his skin colour is more acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

How's it stupid? The guy is black, describing someone as a black man is no more offensive than a white man. 

I'm all for fighting actual racism but stuff like this does nothing to do it. It wasn't racist the players have called it wrong here. 

I don't know a single person who would be offended by being described as a white/black/Asian man, even less so if they were the only one of their ethnic background in the room. 

So the folk who’ve been subjected to racist abuse in the past are wrong and you’re right? Good thing you’re here to tell Pierre Webo and his team mates what is racist and what isn’t. They’ll be glad of your input. 

givememychoice

1_Paris-Saint-Germain-vs-Istanbul-Basaks

Could somebody point out Webo? (but given the stramash, location is likely to be a lot harder than this picture)
All male.
all wearing the same stuff.
To be honest, my desription would be
the black one, the one with greying hair, the one with the hat, the one with spikey hair.

I mean, fundamentally, below the neck, I couldnt identify between any of them. So it is just the head really to identify.

2 minutes ago, givememychoice said:

Could somebody point out Webo? (but given the stramash, location is likely to be a lot harder than this picture)
All male.
the black one, the one with greying hair, the one with the hat, the one with spikey hair.

I mean, fundamentally, below the neck, I couldnt identify between any of them. So it is just the head really to identify.

Snowflakes!!

The Hogfather
Just now, givememychoice said:

All male.

“The assistant manager”. 

That wasn’t hard. 

givememychoice
3 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

“The assistant manager”. 

That wasn’t hard. 

as I have said previously, you assume the officials know all the officials of all the teams? If you said to the majority of people, pick the assistant manager from that pic, then it would be relatively evenly split. 

The Hogfather
Just now, givememychoice said:

as I have said previously, you assume the officials know all the officials of all the teams? If you said to the majority of people, pick the assistant manager from that pic, then it would be relatively evenly split. 

While the average punter on the street might not be able to identify the assistant manager of a relatively unknown team from the other end of the continent, the match officials will have an idea as to who the manager/assistant manager is.

givememychoice
2 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

While the average punter on the street might not be able to identify the assistant manager of a relatively unknown team from the other end of the continent, the match officials will have an idea as to who the manager/assistant manager is.

Im not convinced, I still dont know what people in the next room along have as their job titles, who is where in terms of power and i have been here for over a year.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, givememychoice said:

Im not convinced, I still dont know what people in the next room along have as their job titles, who is where in terms of power and i have been here for over a year.

Are you required to work with any of them?

givememychoice
1 minute ago, Nunya Business said:

Are you required to work with any of them?

in some form, yes.
And I would not be surprised if the 4th official was aware the Webo was a member of the coaching staff, without knowing exact position. What difference does that make? They are part of the dug out team, thats the important aspect.

The Hogfather
6 minutes ago, givememychoice said:

in some form, yes.
And I would not be surprised if the 4th official was aware the Webo was a member of the coaching staff, without knowing exact position. What difference does that make? They are part of the dug out team, thats the important aspect.

I’m going to back out of this thread now, because it’s been decided by the Kickback Mensa branch what is and isn’t racist. Never mind that people who actually experience racist abuse knowing far more about the subject than the folks on here. 

D503E0F3-E334-404D-BA74-F0C034BB1B3D.jpeg

fabienleclerq
4 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

No worries mate, you’ve clearly decided for the world what is and isn’t racist. Obviously Webo should just man up and accept people boiling him down to his skin colour. 

He wasn't judged on his skin colour he was described as black man. 

Is Webo a black man?

Edit: Stan Collymore 😂

Surprised he's stopped kicking **** out of women long enough to comment. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

Because it’s needless and is likely to cause offence. Why bother having to explain yourself after saying something so profoundly stupid?

The colour of someone’s skin isn’t the only identifiable characteristic of any person. 

Bright teeth

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

He wasn't judged on his skin colour he was described as black man. 

Is Webo a black man?

Edit: Stan Collymore 😂

Surprised he's stopped kicking **** out of women long enough to comment. 

John Barnes is backing the 4th official and he certainly knows what racism is. 

fabienleclerq
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Says it all really, his comments on twitter are spot on tbh. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Always found him to be fair.Explains his opinions well.

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Strangely disliked by many so called 'football fans' 

What do you mean? 

I like watching him - he’s direct, fast and skilful but I get that his tendency to play dead after the slightest touch irritates people. 

Prefer Mbappe. He just runs in a straight line toward the goal!

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What do you mean? 

I like watching him - he’s direct, fast and skilful but I get that his tendency to play dead after the slightest touch irritates people. 

Prefer Mbappe. He just runs in a straight line toward the goal!

Neymar's downfall is his stupid theatrics are so obvious.

So many players that get no criticism are a lot more sly about it.

Real Madrid top their group. Pretty good overall. Thought they were heading to Europa League. 

Inter Milan finish last are are out of Europe. Thought they were so good with Lukaku etc. 

A lot of journalists will need to rewrite their assessments.