Furlough

Greedy Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo
26 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Anyone else still on this and wondering what the feck is going to happen at the end of the month?

It won't be prity, long cold dark winter ahead as Sturgeon shuts up shop, poor Christmas ahead 

8 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

It won't be prity, long cold dark winter ahead as Sturgeon shuts up shop, poor Christmas ahead 

The company i work for relies on Christmas Heavily. :jj_facepalm:

Still on it. Your employer should have been in touch by now. I go onto 2 days a week starting on the 1st of November. 
Then on the 4th I’ve jury service. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Still on it. Your employer should have been in touch by now. I go onto 2 days a week starting on the 1st of November. 
Then on the 4th I’ve jury service. 

Aye, It's not a surprise that they've not been in contact yet, to be honest. 

Jury service, nightmare. 

16 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Aye, It's not a surprise that they've not been in contact yet, to be honest. 

Jury service, nightmare. 

High Court as well so potential for it dragging on. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Aye, been there, done it, 1st time i was In for 3 days and wasn't even chosen for the main board of directors.

2nd time i was in 2 days and the case got thrown out. 

Actually stopped registering so that i never got called up again lol, utter waste of time.

and you can't even drive there! 😡

Edited by Greedy Jambo

It's a bit pish that furlough will only be continuing if and only if England lockdown. Wales locks down this Friday for 17 days. If lockdown is regional as some people want. Furlough etc... Should be to. WM can't expect devolved administrations to fund a national emergency like this, unless they give them the powers to borrow, as they do. 

Edited by ri Alban

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Anyone else still on this and wondering what the feck is going to happen at the end of the month?

Yep.

Don't know if/when I'll be going back.

Recieved an email requesting that I 'volunteer' for a substantial pay cut though.

Cheered me up no end.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Yep.

Recieved an email requesting that I 'volunteer' for a substantial pay cut though.

Cheered me up no end.

Pay cut.

What a f*****g nerve.

SectionDJambo
13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It looks like changing from 80% to 67%. 

Not good for the people out there who have been unable to be at work, simply through choices made by government to try to protect the majority who can still work.

Wasn't lucky enough to get furlough. Got a couple of weeks work now, minimum wage but better than nothing. Can't imagine its going to get any easier come November.

47 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Yep.

Cheered me up no end.

Could not make it up.☹️

Anyone heard of furloughed folk taking another job and getting two wages? I assume HMRC/DWP would spot that?

Edited by JackLadd

12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Aye, been there, done it, 1st time i was In for 3 days and wasn't even chosen for the main board of directors.

2nd time i was in 2 days and the case got thrown out. 

Actually stopped registering so that i never got called up again lol, utter waste of time.

and you can't even drive there! 😡

You can now, jury service currently being carried out via video link from the odeon at kinnaird park

5 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Anyone heard of furloughed folk taking another job and getting two wages? I assume HMRC/DWP would spot that?

If the wages were not cash in hand, like through the books.

Weakened Offender
22 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Were you not allowed to do that? I know someone who was furloughed and took a job in Amazon. 

Say What Again
39 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

As far as I'm aware it's allowed in some shape or form, though I don't know the ins and outs.

Two girls furloughed from my work have been working in a call centre since June.

EDIT: Just had a quick Google and in the girls from my work circumstance, it's permitted as the call centre is evening work. It's outside their normal working hours so it's just like taking a second job after work.

Though it does appear you could also seek permission from your employer to be permitted to take a second job.

Edited by Say What Again

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

As mentioned above as long as your new hours are out with your contracted hours it’s fine. My son was furloughed but was asked to work for his old work as they were really busy. He asked his new employer and they were ok with it so he was getting paid twice. Quids in.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, heartyhub said:

As mentioned above as long as your new hours are out with your contracted hours it’s fine. My son was furloughed but was asked to work for his old work as they were really busy. He asked his new employer and they were ok with it so he was getting paid twice. Quids in.

Nice one. I'm glad some folk have done all right out of this in an honest manner.

Still on furlough. No word from my employers. Keep popping in to see what the word is and the response is always "A decision hasn't been made yet". 

Luckily Hector gave me a tax rebate a few weeks ago so the mortgage is covered for a couple of months but I'm fully expecting to be stacking shelves in supermarkets over Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Were you not allowed to do that? I know someone who was furloughed and took a job in Amazon. 

Aye, that's exactly what has happened here. Brothers daughter in law now in Amazon while furloughed from regular job. If it's legal then.fair enough. Raking it in.

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Aye, that's exactly what has happened here. Brothers daughter in law now in Amazon while furloughed from regular job. If it's legal then.fair enough. Raking it in.

Fair play to them. Young boy across from me did cash in hand stuff when he was furloughed and then started a business changing vintage horse boxes into mobile bars. 😁

Edited by Weakened Offender

Sawdust Caesar

HMRC reckon at least £4 Billion in furlough pay/self-employed income support has been fraudulently claimed since the start of it all. I've heard of a restaurant owner claiming for the eat out to help out scheme even though his restaurant has been shut for over a year due to going out of business.

4 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

HMRC reckon at least £4 Billion in furlough pay/self-employed income support has been fraudulently claimed since the start of it all. I've heard of a restaurant owner claiming for the eat out to help out scheme even though his restaurant has been shut for over a year due to going out of business.

Compliance will be having a field day when the 2020-21 Returns are in

3 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

A Papa John's has been accused of this. 

I've been told by by other staff that I'm needed back but they'd rather save the money on my wages. 

If Governments have lock downs, they should takeover responsibility for wages. 

I feel sorry for those of you who can't work from home and may be facing hardship. It is a terrible situation. 

3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've been told by by other staff that I'm needed back but they'd rather save the money on my wages. 

Horrible situation to be in. The uncertainty must be stressful. Hope it all works out for you. 

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Horrible situation to be in. The uncertainty must be stressful. Hope it all works out for you. 

Cheers

Hopefully I'll know what's happening by the end of the month, one way or another. 

SectionFJambo

The furlough scheme allowed you to work for someone else if you wanted. A few employers made it clear it wasn't an option for their staff however ultimately people could have taken 2 salaries.

The good news I suspect is if you were being let go the procedure would have started in order to get you out by 31st October.

The bad news is that the new schemes mean furlough is still an option for many companies  albeit a bit more expensive and paycuts etc. are likely to be rife.

Not sure I buy that furlough should be extended. The replacement scheme will keep those in a job where it a short term issue and for those with a longer term issue there needs to be some incentive to get them back out working - 80% to stay at home won't do that.

6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

If Governments have lock downs, they should takeover responsibility for wages. 

I feel sorry for those of you who can't work from home and may be facing hardship. It is a terrible situation. 

:spoton:

If you need to have lockdowns due to a public health crisis, and the system we operate under means that will cause thousands of people to lose their jobs and face hard times through no fault of their own, something has gone very wrong. 

The good news is the billionaires will be getting richer, and that will eventually trickle down won't it? 

31 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:spoton:

If you need to have lockdowns due to a public health crisis, and the system we operate under means that will cause thousands of people to lose their jobs and face hard times through no fault of their own, something has gone very wrong. 

The good nebillionaires ws is the will be getting richer, and that will eventually trickle down won't it? 

:jjyay:

Popped in to work again today. Main boss was is in a meeting so couldn't speak to her but one of the other duty managers said he'd start looking for work if he was me. Doesn't see my side of the business being kept on. 

Tesco, here I come. 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good luck, Norm.

Me, the wife and kids are away to a wee cottage in the arsehole of nowhere this weekend so I'm going to try and forget about it until next week, otherwise my mood will ruin the whole thing. 

Plus, the pubs are still open there so I might even get to have a wee drink and drown my sorrows a bit. 

Onwards and upwards. Can't get much ****ing lower, that's for sure. 

Plus, took that wee job re-training thing the government have. Apparently, I'm really suited to hospitality. Pity that's the industry I'm in. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Scottish government at least getting a bit ahead of the game and extending free school meals over school holidays.  

A drop in the ocean but they don't have much power to do anything else.

Heartsmad1874
On 19/10/2020 at 12:02, Normthebarman said:

Still on furlough. No word from my employers. Keep popping in to see what the word is and the response is always "A decision hasn't been made yet". 

Luckily Hector gave me a tax rebate a few weeks ago so the mortgage is covered for a couple of months but I'm fully expecting to be stacking shelves in supermarkets over Christmas. 

Supermarkets are getting busier and busier with the Online shopping side of things. Easy job.

Picking 25K-28K items a day. Leading up to Christmas could well be 30-40K. Definitely will be more jobs available.

The 31st October ‘Furlough end’ is not looking good for a very good friend of ours. She works for one of the top hotels in Edinburgh and is being treated like shit after nigh on 35 years of service.

Dagger Is Back
On 19/10/2020 at 09:52, JackLadd said:

That’s not illegal. Some companies blocked their furloughed employees from taking on another job, but there’s no issue from a Government perspective 

Same principle applies to the self employed grant. HMRC will make some clawback on the IT paid

On 20/10/2020 at 14:42, Cade said:

Scottish government at least getting a bit ahead of the game and extending free school meals over school holidays.  

A drop in the ocean but they don't have much power to do anything else.

What about raising taxes and investing in viable businesses and a job support scheme. Prescription charges for those who can afford it would raise some cash that would help. That's quite a lot of power you didn't mention.

Hopefully the companies who made their employees work through lockdown and paid them furlough will be having a wee chat with PF. 

BBC News - New government Covid scheme to pay up to half of wages
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54644241

Possibility of the previously furloughed working part time for 73% of their wage instead of not working at all for 80% of their wage. 

Ultimately, its still in the hands of your employer though. 

From what I'm lead to believe you are required to work 20% of your contracted  your employer will pay that along with 5% of hours not worked. then got will fund 62%. 

So for someone on a 37.5 hour contract 20% is 7.5 hours and your employer will pay 5% of hours not worked. Which is only 1.875 (2 hours) 

Does that mean if you work 8 hours per week or per month you will get 82% of you wages?

Just off the phone to the finance manager at my work. As of next week I’m working 2 days per week based on my contract of 6 days per week. Full normal wage will be paid based on my normal salary level as opposed to what I normally make with OT and so on. That is guaranteed until he end of January at which point it will be reviewed again. Bit of a relief. 
It could be less but my employer is doing the full top up, I’m sure other people won’t be as lucky in that way. 

Tenaciousdandy
On 18/10/2020 at 21:11, Tazio said:

I managed to get out of jury duty the last time I was called up, spoke the guy on day one told him due to current circumstances in my personal life I didn't feel I was in the right frame of mind to fairly evaluate the case was excused and haven't been asked again, did have a lot going on back then tho 

In regards to furlough im back at work but not sure for how long with whats going on and the tier system so its a worrying time for most 

58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just off the phone to the finance manager at my work. As of next week I’m working 2 days per week based on my contract of 6 days per week. Full normal wage will be paid based on my normal salary level as opposed to what I normally make with OT and so on. That is guaranteed until he end of January at which point it will be reviewed again. Bit of a relief. 
It could be less but my employer is doing the full top up, I’m sure other people won’t be as lucky in that way. 

Nice one. 

It's now the 28th of October and I've still not heard a peep 🤣

I've only been there 15 years.

4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Nice one. 

It's now the 28th of October and I've still not heard a peep 🤣

I've only been there 15 years.

The only consolation I suppose is that if they make you redundant you’ll get the full redundancy package after that long a time with them. 

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

But you still felt the need to brag about it..:laugh:

:leveinproblem:

Just received an email. Up for redundancy. Cracking present to get the birthday weekend started.

Fully expect to catch covid and for us to get horsed off Hibs to round it all off.