Harry Stone new deal and loan

CJGJ

Tennant's  6's

He's highly rated, this kid.

Good for him, very young for a GK to be getting first team football. 

Zlamal & Doyle won't be in his way next season thankfully.  

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, Tennant's 6's said:

He's highly rated, this kid.

Good for him, very young for a GK to be getting first team football. 

Zlamal & Doyle won't be in his way next season thankfully.  

They're not in his way now 

22 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

They're not in his way now 

They certainly are not! 

I wonder what the length of the apparent new deal will be. Other top flight clubs seem to be cool dishing out 5 year deals. 

Considering he’s so young, I’d like us to be seriously looking at that. Gordon is 37, but could probably give us another 3 years. Having Stone tied down to make the transition when the time comes for Gordon to hang up the gloves makes a lot of sense and is the commitment to youth development I really want to see. 

37 minutes ago, OTT said:

They certainly are not! 

I wonder what the length of the apparent new deal will be. Other top flight clubs seem to be cool dishing out 5 year deals. 

Considering he’s so young, I’d like us to be seriously looking at that. Gordon is 37, but could probably give us another 3 years. Having Stone tied down to make the transition when the time comes for Gordon to hang up the gloves makes a lot of sense and is the commitment to youth development I really want to see. 

I agree, especially as goalies tend to reach their peak later than outfield players and also tend to have a longer shelf life at their peak.  This guy could become another Craig Gordon and net us a big fee if an EPL club come calling.  I'd be happy if we can tie him down for another 5 years, and he can surely only benefit from having Craig as a mentor.

17 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

As long as we make sure he doesn't go to the blood sucking parasites - either of them.

Young Aaron could play a useful part in  assisting with that. :whistling:

Agree with all of the previous comments posted.

We need to get him tied down on a longer term deal - Working directly with CG and the coaching team he has a real opportunity and with the guidance provided, he has no better place to realize his potential 

There was serious interest in him before and getting him tied down, especially given the Sewer Rats along the M8, is vitally important so they don't see an opportunity to take him 

This is what we want though and shows that we can bring players through that have real talent and huge potential 

Pasquale for King

If all goes to plan he will learn from Gordon and take over from him in 2/3 years time? Another loan for half a season might not do him any harm in January. 

I had hoped it would be a longer deal. Let’s say Gordon plays this season and next as No.1. Stone then takes the jersey for 2022/23. Were then in the same situation as we’ve been with Nicholson, Paterson, Hickey and (I think) Jamie Walker where we potentially have an extremely valuable asset on our hands with only 12 months remaining on their deal. Of course he could sign a new one, but there’ll be plenty of reasons not to. 

12 minutes ago, RDSK said:

I had hoped it would be a longer deal. Let’s say Gordon plays this season and next as No.1. Stone then takes the jersey for 2022/23. Were then in the same situation as we’ve been with Nicholson, Paterson, Hickey and (I think) Jamie Walker where we potentially have an extremely valuable asset on our hands with only 12 months remaining on their deal. Of course he could sign a new one, but there’ll be plenty of reasons not to. 

Was going to post similar. We seem to have a real aversion to giving long term deals to promising young players. 

I appreciate it’s a risk, but given youngsters are paid less, the risk is lower. I wonder if some of it is on the belief it keeps them hungry? 

We fought off interest from Watford and Celtic (iirc) to keep the laddie here. I’m disappointed we didn’t get a 5 year deal sorted. As you say, every chance we’re in another Paterson/Walker situation. 

Pleased he’s signed up though. Hopefully we look at a further extension next year once things are a bit more normal. 

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Was going to post similar. We seem to have a real aversion to giving long term deals to promising young players. 

I appreciate it’s a risk, but given youngsters are paid less, the risk is lower. I wonder if some of it is on the belief it keeps them hungry? 

We fought off interest from Watford and Celtic (iirc) to keep the laddie here. I’m disappointed we didn’t get a 5 year deal sorted. As you say, every chance we’re in another Paterson/Walker situation. 

Pleased he’s signed up though. Hopefully we look at a further extension next year once things are a bit more normal. 

If you put a 5 year deal in front of someone it needs to reflect what they expect to be earning in 5 years time.  There's no incentive for a player to sign up to a 5 year deal as opposed to a 3 year deal on the same money.

Can talk about player loyalty etc but in the real world players will give themselves an out.  They've been badly advised if they don't.

15 minutes ago, OTT said:

People in the club have spoken about the reason you give - the idea that shorter deals keep players hungry to earn a new deal. The flip side of that is, of course, that they’re so hungry their performances attract more affluent suitors.

Budge spoke of her desire to look at the youth academy and how we can get more from it, but this contract extension looks very like those we’ve seen before. Like you, I’d have been pleased with a 4 or 5 year deal. Geared towards a sale in summer 2023 - all being well.

Forgive me for getting very Football Manager here but I’m sure we could have reflected his increasing importance to the team with percentage increases + appearance bonuses. 

Ah well. As you say, I’m glad he’s signed up.

5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

If you put a 5 year deal in front of someone it needs to reflect what they expect to be earning in 5 years time.  There's no incentive for a player to sign up to a 5 year deal as opposed to a 3 year deal on the same money.

Can talk about player loyalty etc but in the real world players will give themselves an out.  They've been badly advised if they don't.

Thats fair, would say though that contracts can be structured a multitude of different ways. Could be creative and have stepped up wages if he meets certain criteria. 

I do see where you’re coming from though. Magennis at Hibs is further along in his development for example, so a 5 year deal will be for first team wages, 5 year deal for Stone would probs be on kids wages. 

Just frustrating, I want us to be very on the ball on managing youngsters contracts to ensure we minimise contract run downs. Losing Paterson for so little and being kinda forced into selling Hickey was disappointing (obviously at least we got 7 figures for Hickey).  

Id like to see the club selling from a position of strength rather than because the player is about to enter final 12 months and won’t be extending. 

jamboinglasgow
33 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thats fair, would say though that contracts can be structured a multitude of different ways. Could be creative and have stepped up wages if he meets certain criteria. 

I do see where you’re coming from though. Magennis at Hibs is further along in his development for example, so a 5 year deal will be for first team wages, 5 year deal for Stone would probs be on kids wages. 

Just frustrating, I want us to be very on the ball on managing youngsters contracts to ensure we minimise contract run downs. Losing Paterson for so little and being kinda forced into selling Hickey was disappointing (obviously at least we got 7 figures for Hickey).  

Id like to see the club selling from a position of strength rather than because the player is about to enter final 12 months and won’t be extending. 

I dont think we need to give promising players 5 year contracts, where we have fallen down is leaving it too late to offer new contracts. It could be argued that we should offer him a new 3 year contract after a year. If you look at other clubs, they often give players a new contract not too long after the last one. 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Craig will be our keeper for at least next 2 seasons.

I'd like to see Harry progress well somewhere on loan, and this time next year, we extend by a year again. 

Byyy The Light
3 hours ago, OTT said:

Completely get your frustration but unfortunately players hold all the strength these days. Especially the ones with all the potential.

I’d heard rumours that Hickey’s salary expectations were nuts based on the fact he had 4 or 5 appearances under his belt. There is definitely a balance to be had and as others have said, renewing a 3 year deal every year and after x number of appearances would be the only option for the club. Ultimately the player can just choose to sit it out and look at options unfortunately.

Problem we’ve got is a promising player up here can treble or quadruple their wages by going to a top end league 1 side down south. Really frustrating as you say but that’s where we are as a club.

Personally I’m not convinced it’s worthwhile having an academy. Be better scouting the academies of the big clubs down south and giving the cast offs a chance of first team football when they get binned at 19/20.

55 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Completely get your frustration but unfortunately players hold all the strength these days. Especially the ones with all the potential.

I’d heard rumours that Hickey’s salary expectations were nuts based on the fact he had 4 or 5 appearances under his belt. There is definitely a balance to be had and as others have said, renewing a 3 year deal every year and after x number of appearances would be the only option for the club. Ultimately the player can just choose to sit it out and look at options unfortunately.

Problem we’ve got is a promising player up here can treble or quadruple their wages by going to a top end league 1 side down south. Really frustrating as you say but that’s where we are as a club.

Personally I’m not convinced it’s worthwhile having an academy. Be better scouting the academies of the big clubs down south and giving the cast offs a chance of first team football when they get binned at 19/20.

That’s what Brentford are doing right? Think they operate a B team rather than any sort of academy. Interestingly, Aaron Pressley is there’s now (Steven Pressleys laddie). Seems to be a physical target man, and I think that’s what Robbie was looking for towards the end of the window...

I think we’re fast approaching a point where something has to give. I think in principal everyone wants an academy but there is so little money in Scottish football that if our youngsters are going to just run down their contract and force us into cut price sales/ development fees then it stops being worth it. 

I want to to see us investing in the academy rather than cutting investment or even having to do away with it but it requires some buy in from players. I wonder how we could get to a point where the players want to sign extensions to protect the academy? 

I’m happy to see some compromise, for example apparently Hickeys contract offer from us was a £250 a week increase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure we’d all bite our companies hand off for that, but it’s all relative. Considering his impact, parity with first teamers with a view of selling in 12 months times makes sense to me. No less of a waste/ risk than the money we’ve chucked away (Osh, Martin, Damour, Bobby, Doyle etc.). Pretty big upside too. 

What does the club need to do? Guarantee reinvestment of a chunky % of the transfer fee into the academy to encourage the youngsters to at least look after each other? 

(I’m not having a go at them btw, perfectly entitled to do as they please) 

Byyy The Light
36 minutes ago, OTT said:

That’s what Brentford are doing right? Think they operate a B team rather than any sort of academy. Interestingly, Aaron Pressley is there’s now (Steven Pressleys laddie). Seems to be a physical target man, and I think that’s what Robbie was looking for towards the end of the window...

I think we’re fast approaching a point where something has to give. I think in principal everyone wants an academy but there is so little money in Scottish football that if our youngsters are going to just run down their contract and force us into cut price sales/ development fees then it stops being worth it. 

I want to to see us investing in the academy rather than cutting investment or even having to do away with it but it requires some buy in from players. I wonder how we could get to a point where the players want to sign extensions to protect the academy? 

I’m happy to see some compromise, for example apparently Hickeys contract offer from us was a £250 a week increase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure we’d all bite our companies hand off for that, but it’s all relative. Considering his impact, parity with first teamers with a view of selling in 12 months times makes sense to me. No less of a waste/ risk than the money we’ve chucked away (Osh, Martin, Damour, Bobby, Doyle etc.). Pretty big upside too. 

What does the club need to do? Guarantee reinvestment of a chunky % of the transfer fee into the academy to encourage the youngsters to at least look after each other? 

(I’m not having a go at them btw, perfectly entitled to do as they please) 

Think Brentford and a few others are now doing that.  Another option would be for clubs to pay in to a central pot and use a draft system to get players out of regional academies. Won't bore you with the details but I've thought it through a fair bit and I reckon that could be a model that improves Scottish football dramatically.  It would lesson the burden on clubs individually to all replicate the same thing over and over.  If you put professional coaches in to secondary schools/colleges and tied it to education (Government and professional football working together to finance it) then it could work to raise standard across the board.  Someone from the SFA should go over to the states and look how it all works over there and take all the good bits and get rid of the bits that don't work so well and come up with a model that would work in Scotland.

Other than something as dramatic as that I think Hearts only hope is to bring through 5 or 6 outstanding prospects every couple of years so that when the really top ones do leave, we've still got ones we can use in the first team.