Are we better than last season?

Diadora Van Basten

I only like to hear Levein now he's left Hearts, on the radio the other night when asked will Hearts win the league he said "walk it, the last time Robbie was with Hearts in this league with Hibs and Rangers, he had the title by march, this team is better than that one"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Weakened Offender

• Last Laff

• Diadora Van Basten

Guest ToqueJambo

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

In the Championship, certainly. We’ll need to give him more time in

the premiership if and when ee get there. The last time in the premiership he seemed to change his approach/strategy to be less attacking, for some reason, during the first season. 

Also has to be remembered that was only Robbie's second season as a head coach. It makes what he did with us even more creditable IMO. He's got 6 season behind him now.

2 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

I only like to hear Levein now he's left Hearts, on the radio the other night when asked will Hearts win the league he said "walk it, the last time Robbie was with Hearts in this league with Hibs and Rangers, he had the title by march, this team is better than that one"

He's the biggest hypocrite going. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

Every time I listen to him, I'm like "What went wrong, man! The heart attack? Getting away from the basics?" Obviously without the injuries that stopped our run in 18/19 things could have been different, but the slide was so dramatic it's like he forgot how to be a manager.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Also has to be remembered that was only Robbie's second season as a head coach. It makes what he did with us even more creditable IMO. He's got 6 season behind him now.

He's turned out a much better HC than Levein.  Even if he had a disaster down South.  

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Last Laff said:

He's turned out a much better HC than Levein.  Even if he had a disaster down South.  

I think Neilson could end up better than Levein and Levein was a very good manager, and might still do a good job for someone if he goes back to what he was good at. Levein's only 55. Steve Clarke's managerial career really only took off at 55 at Killie.

Neilson needs to dominate the derby, get us to cup semis and finals, do well in Europe and have us finishing consistently near the top of the league (already done that) to match Levein. He's got every chance if he gets the backing though.

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think Neilson could end up better than Levein and Levein was a very good manager, and might still do a good job for someone if he goes back to what he was good at. Levein's only 55. Steve Clarke's managerial career really only took off at 55 at Killie.

Neilson needs to dominate the derby, get us to cup semis and finals, do well in Europe and have us finishing consistently near the top of the league (already done that) to match Levein. He's got every chance if he gets the backing though.

When was Levein a very good manager?  15/20 years ago?   Neilson today is an upgrade on Levein massively. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Last Laff said:

When was Levein a very good manager?  15/20 years ago?   Neilson today is an upgrade on Levein massively. 

Neilson is obviously an upgrade on every manager since Neilson. Levein the first time around was a very good manager. And if Steve Clarke can pretty much start his managerial career at the age Levein is now, 55 is no age for a manager. 

I don't think there is any doubt that Hearts became shambolic under levein and McPhee.  Stendal inherited a very tough task and the pandemic and subsequent expulsion put paid ti him.

Since Neilson came in and was joined by coaches of his choosing and JJ, I have sensed a quiet but focused determination to build a competitive squad which will show consistent improvement on the park.

Pasquale for King
On 20/10/2020 at 23:25, Bongo 1874 said:

You say high press football doesn't work against smaller teams in Scotland, sorry but who is top of the Scottish Premiership right now? 

Wasting you’re breath there, trust me I’ve tried and failed. Stendel would’ve been a great choice after Neilson left as the players were fitter and only would’ve needed a few tweaks. 

Pasquale for King
On 21/10/2020 at 10:53, Hearts1975 said:

We are where we are. I have calmed a bit since it happened but there is a bit of me that will always wonder what could happened and had we stuck with DS. Something we will never go away. 

I also recognise that he made mistakes, probably trying to implement too much tactical change and given the players that he had At the time, being the main one. 

I loved his passion though. His fearless attitude toward going for the jugular at every given opportunity. Kicking things around the dugout, the antics, all of it 

I mean, when you love the club personally, and Then suddenly an outsider appears. Someone who has no affiliation with the club whatsoever and you see them identifying with the things that make you Love the club as a supporter, what’s not to like. ?

He gave up his wages for months and months - hardly the type that was there Just for the money regardless of what he was earning in the first place.

Felt really sorry for the guy and how it all ended. It is what it is but when all is said and done he didn’t get anywhere near the same time afforded to him as the likes of CL did so I just think any comparisons made Between the 2 are completely unfair in this respect.

CL is far more accountable for our current standing than DS will ever be and for the same applied reasoning. 

RN has started really well with us, and long may it continue. He has my full support And backing

As for DS, Really Really hope He gets back in the game and goes on to have a successful career. Will always keep an eye out for his results and will always wonder what would have happened, had we stuck with him long term. 

Spot on.