Roberts

Muppetboy

Jury out.

Feel maybe another djoum type character here where get a element of fans that think he amazing and everyone else left scratching heads why.

Early days though so have to give everyone a chance 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jr ewing

• 1874robbo

• 19/05/2012

• Billy Hoyle

21 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Thought he was the worst of the forward players last night

A comment that would never have been made of the Terrible trio.  Just imagine saying that Alfie Conn (Sr of course) was the "worst" of the three.  Or  comparing Dave MacKay with John Cummings and saying John was the "worst " of the two, or Colquhoun was the "worst" compared to John Robertson. 

Entirely misleading and inaccurate use of the word.

He had a mixed bag but was key in some of the goals and put over a few superb crosses, and held up the ball regularly in tight positions, keeping possession for the team.

Edited by colinmaroon

Franksluckypants

A lot of potential. Occasionally looks as though he's trying to do too much...maybe reduce the touches and quicken things up just a wee bit - he looks well capable of being a top player!

Bigger test for him in a couple of weeks time, and I think he'll more than rise to the 'challenge' of the wee team.

Won the corner that leads to the second goal. Plays the dummy that leads to the 3rd goal. Lays off a perfectly weighted pass for the 5th goal. Drags his man away and out of position for the 6th goal. The boy was a solid 7 out of 10. 

Jamboscanbevicius

I thought he looked very good. Occasionally slack pass, but we saw this from Kingsley and others too.

He looked quick, strong, and keen to get the ball in the box throughout. He’s a huge improvement on what we’ve had out wide for the past few years!

Guest ToqueJambo

The most important thing about Roberts is he helps bring balance to the team and enables us to be a threat on both wings. He's done some good things so far in terms of assisting for goals and has done nothing wrong that I can think of, although no doubt people determined to moan about something will comb through the footage of games to find something.

Ginnelly has a bit about him. He could probably play for us in the SPL if we were a top 3 side. Not so sure I'd say the same about Roberts thus far tbh. He looks good for the Championship though. 

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ginnelly has a bit about him. He could probably play for us in the SPL if we were a top 3 side. Not so sure I'd say the same about Roberts thus far tbh. He looks good for the Championship though. 

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Agreed.

You have to remember that some players take longer than others to get fully up and running. They are all different.

Neil Dongcaster
1 hour ago, David Black said:

You have to remember that some players take longer than others to get fully up and running. They are all different.

Very rarely has a Hearts player started off their career either poorly or averagely and went on to do well for us or move onto a bigger club.

Roberts is an ok player but he will move onto a smaller club once he’s done a season or two with us.

• 2 months later...
On 17/10/2020 at 13:31, karipidis said:

Always one. 

On 17/10/2020 at 12:38, Lone Striker said:

Jeezo.  For some folk, every silver lining has to have a cloud.  :facepalm:    

On 17/10/2020 at 12:26, RustyRightPeg said:

??? 

I'm sorry but at 5-2 up he relentlessly chased a ball into the corner, stopped it going out for a goal kick all whilst he held a defender off...

What is "can't be arsed' about that?

Note I'm also not basing this on just that bit of play, but he put a hell of a shift in last night helping lead the press from the front.

On 17/10/2020 at 12:27, ramrod said:

Hahahaha 

pack in watching football m8 

Got slaughtered on here for saying Roberts body language is all wrong after the first game of the season and not much has changed ..... wonder if i should still pack in watching football?

38 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Got slaughtered on here for saying Roberts body language is all wrong after the first game of the season and not much has changed ..... wonder if i should still pack in watching football?

You can have an average day technically, not play too well, but you want to see the bog standard basics from players. He just doesn’t show any sort of hunger, tenacity. It’s all half paced, safe and lacking any thrust.  

It’s game after game when he plays. Doing daft spins on the ball in the middle of the park at Hampden v Hibs and nearly causing a goal showed lack of responsibility, a cheap way out of possession when being put under pressure. Its sticks out for me when I think of him.

It’s not good enough.  

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

No, you're correct, they're wrong. He is shite.

9 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

I wonder if anyone will apologise to you. 

I got pelters in here when I criticised his performance in the cup semi. The guy is a total imposter and should be shifted ASAP along with Frear. Both are useless and need to be punted as soon as possible. No heart, no pace, no guts. Says all that needs to be said about this guy!

peebles jambo
On 17/10/2020 at 11:20, jambopilms said:

Thought he was the worst of the forward players last night

Same here, thought he was absolute garbage ,not nearly good enough to play for the famous

40 minutes ago, peebles jambo said:

Same here, thought he was absolute garbage ,not nearly good enough to play for the famous

I feel theres more in him but its not showing, still willing to wait a wee bit.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Frear is worse generally and was worse yesterday. 
Damning with faint praise 

Frear put himself into positions to make poor decisions and show up his lack of ability. To be fair to Roberts he seems to be intelligent enough to, not bother his arse getting into the positions in the first place!!

lost in space
25 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

Frear put himself into positions to make poor decisions and show up his lack of ability. To be fair to Roberts he seems to be intelligent enough to, not bother his arse getting into the positions in the first place!!

Yes agree - by hiding, Roberts is not going to be shown up as much as he isnt going to get the ball so often. It is a clever ploy that Roberts is using. 

5 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Yes agree - by hiding, Roberts is not going to be shown up as much as he isnt going to get the ball so often. It is a clever ploy that Roberts is using. 

Deliberately went away from the wing to be marked and not receive a pass. He knows exactly what he's doing. 

Not doubting that the guy has ability, but he’s certainly not suited to our style of play.  He kills the tempo and it’s no shock to me that we scored 4 goals after he was subbed.  Spent most of the first half getting in the way.  Our best performances this season have come when he’s been out the team.  

Bizarre signing.  

Not necessarily saying he was good, and I might be alone in my view, but actually thought he was alright yesterday. He didn't infuritate me. Solid 6/10 performance which is surprisingly better than most weeks.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Locky said:

Not necessarily saying he was good, and I might be alone in my view, but actually thought he was alright yesterday. He didn't infuritate me. Solid 6/10 performance which is surprisingly better than most weeks.

Me too. 

He did go past a player a few times as well. 

For me he looks lost of the ball, a bit like Clare did for a few months. Gets in the way sometimes and positionaly a bit clueless. 

Frear looks very poor in every game, timid, slow and generally poor. 

Leveins Battalion

Both are lucky that there are no fans in Tynecastle just now.

Half the season in and contributed feck all,Billy King and Scott Robinson were better 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Me too. 

He did go past a player a few times as well. 

For me he looks lost of the ball, a bit like Clare did for a few months. Gets in the way sometimes and positionaly a bit clueless. 

Frear looks very poor in every game, timid, slow and generally poor. 

I see very little from Frear at all. Difference between him and Roberts too, is that Frear is 4 years older and has a lot more first team experience. Roberts is 26 and hasn't played a lot of football at much of a level.

You're right about the Sean Clare comparison. They both show flashes of something, but can't seem to show much more than that. Took for Clare to go to right back to really come out and make it his own. Wonder what it might take for Roberts.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Half the season in and contributed feck all,Billy King and Scott Robinson were better 🤣🤣

I think mentioning Roberts in the same topic as Billy King is doing a massive disservice to King. I thought he was an absolutely tremendous player for us and he should have been kept. After Walker & Nicholson, plus Milinkovic & Ginnelly we've utterly failed to improve on him. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Locky said:

I see very little from Frear at all. Difference between him and Roberts too, is that Frear is 4 years older and has a lot more first team experience. Roberts is 26 and hasn't played a lot of football at much of a level.

You're right about the Sean Clare comparison. They both show flashes of something, but can't seem to show much more than that. Took for Clare to go to right back to really come out and make it his own. Wonder what it might take for Roberts.

Agreed. 

Yeah, I won't 100% right Roberts off just now. But he must improve. 

Frear, like you- not for me. 

Poor transfer by Robbie imo. 

3 hours ago, Locky said:

I wonder why Roberts at 26 hasn’t played much football?

oh sorry I do know, it’s because he’s total dugshit

6 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Deliberately went away from the wing to be marked and not receive a pass. He knows exactly what he's doing. 

Imagine going onto a football pitch and hiding behind players so you don’t get the ball!!! That’s exactly what it looks like he does 😳😳

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

🤣🤣

Spot on. Would have been found out by now.

He’s jus another one of those god awful signings that we are prone to making. You can’t keep making fitness issues an excuse.there will be no time for that next season in the spl.

if he’s cak in the championship I’magine how bad he would be up at pittodrie or tannadice !!!! Doesn’t bare thinking about. Man short springs to mind. You wouldn’t know he was playing. ( that go’s for Walker aswell )

14 hours ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Imagine going onto a football pitch and hiding behind players so you don’t get the ball!!! That’s exactly what it looks like he does 😳😳

He might well have been told to do that.

Boys pants, done nothing of any note another binned in the summer  

Another in a long line of journey men duds to play for this club in the past 5 years. Put Frear in the same bracket 

A_A wehatethehibs

Constructive criticism:

Hope Roberts manages to find a way to improve, I think he tries to play smart and pick up unseen pockets of space but he’s been a square peg in a round hole and not on the same wave length as team mates. Communication seems to be his issue, never shouting and showing for the ball. He seems to expect team mates will already know where he is but needs to force the issue more to involve himself in the action and cause problems for the opposition, because all that’s been happening is, fans mistake his attempts at craftiness as hiding. Needs to make some adaptations to his game. 

He doesn’t seem interested and I agree about comments regarding his movement. Every time Kingsley went down the left and was closed down he would always look to go back inside instead of use Roberts. 

Frear is a bit different he seems like he wants to make an impact just can’t. It’s bizarre as he looks scared and overwhelmed playing for us. Which we’ve seen happen a lot in the past and you can understand to an extent when there’s fans but he’s playing in front of an empty stadium.

It doesn’t bode very well for either when we started clicking when both went off, due to much better link up play and movement. 

Edited by Mr Rabbit

Don’t think he’s ever played every week for any team he’s been at which is worrying in itself but don’t think any of the clubs he’s played for as big as hearts so he has until end of the season to up his game or he’s out in the summer no time for passengers next season.

3 minutes ago, Gary Locke said:

Don’t think he’s ever played every week for any team he’s been at which is worrying in itself but don’t think any of the clubs he’s played for as big as hearts so he has until end of the season to up his game or he’s out in the summer no time for passengers next season.

Damour mk 2

22 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Not doubting that the guy has ability, but he’s certainly not suited to our style of play.  He kills the tempo and it’s no shock to me that we scored 4 goals after he was subbed.  Spent most of the first half getting in the way.  Our best performances this season have come when he’s been out the team.  

Bizarre signing.  

I'm yet to see any ability tbh. 

What do you think he's good at? 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Constructive criticism:

Hope Roberts manages to find a way to improve, I think he tries to play smart and pick up unseen pockets of space but he’s been a square peg in a round hole and not on the same wave length as team mates. Communication seems to be his issue, never shouting and showing for the ball. He seems to expect team mates will already know where he is but needs to force the issue more to involve himself in the action and cause problems for the opposition, because all that’s been happening is, fans mistake his attempts at craftiness as hiding. Needs to make some adaptations to his game. 

What is his natural position. Genuinely I don’t know as he has been played as a left winger/right winger/ number 10 and as the main striker at various times in matches and ha looked hopeless in all of them. 

9 hours ago, Billy Hoyle said:

What is his natural position. Genuinely I don’t know as he has been played as a left winger/right winger/ number 10 and as the main striker at various times in matches and ha looked hopeless in all of them. 

Left back .... in the changing room 

28 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

He’s the outfield version of pereira 

Chuckling at the thought of an outfield player trying to use their hands instead of their feet.