Roberts

Muppetboy

Really does look a better player than the level of his previous clubs suggests. Obviously it’s early days but seems to have ability and excellent pace

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jr ewing

• Billy Hoyle

• Last Laff

• Barney bulge

Just now, Muppetboy said:

Really does look a better player than the level of his previous clubs suggests. Obviously it’s early days but seems to have ability and excellent pace

Not got pass marks from me so far. Prefer the look of Freer and Ginnelly

One of his biggest assets is his strength. Seems to be able to hold players off easily and keep possession of the ball.

Doesn’t always pick the right option but definitely has a good football brain on him. Could see signs last night of a good understanding developing between him and Walker.

Bazzas right boot

I like him. 

Went about his business effectively. 

Big, strong, versatile and plays with his head up. 

Byyy The Light

Like him.

Would like to see him and Ginnelly swap wings throughout the game. Would be a nightmare for fullbacks having to deal with that and not get in to a defensive rhythm.

Will hopefully get better as the team gels. 

I think he's a good first team player.   If Ginelly on the right then roberts on the left.   If frear on the left then roberts on the right.  He's a good option at the back post for headers and finishes.   Skill, good attacking threat, works well in the build ups.   Can hold the ball up with his strength. 

Best still to come.  

18 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Shows it in flashes for me. Loved the dummy to Boyce yesterday and good awareness to hold off defender to lay it to Kingsley.

Can be extremely frustrating watching him at times though as seems to lack confidence when taking players on and looks to be very one footed at times, which slows things down. Should be absolutely fine for Championship level though.

Absolute Scenes

He needs to learn that he can pass forwards too. He seems to be a bit casual at times. Agree he is strong and that is an asset but needs to up a gear

sometimes he delays his cross allowing the defender a chance to get a block in. If he mixes it up a bit and starts hitting early crosses it will pay dividends.

promising start, needs to keep it up

Thought he looked awful if I’m honest his body language is all wrong looks like he can’t be arsed. Carbon copy of jake Mulraney 

Gordon Ramsay

Thought he was better than in the league cup games. Clearly has pace and is strong too. Needs to work on end product though. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Both he an Ginelly played well first half.

Neilson has done brilliant this window in terms of identifying the deficiencies of the Levein era squad. What a transformation in the wide and creative areas. We’re so much more equipped to stretch teams and move the ball left and right. 

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Thought he was the worst of the forward players last night

I thought he could have put in more first time crosses instead of trying to beat his man other than that he did ok.

RustyRightPeg
25 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Thought he looked awful if I’m honest his body language is all wrong looks like he can’t be arsed. Carbon copy of jake Mulraney 

??? 

I'm sorry but at 5-2 up he relentlessly chased a ball into the corner, stopped it going out for a goal kick all whilst he held a defender off...

What is "can't be arsed' about that?

Note I'm also not basing this on just that bit of play, but he put a hell of a shift in last night helping lead the press from the front.

Edited by RustyRightPeg

25 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Hahahaha 

pack in watching football m8 

36 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Jeezo.  For some folk, every silver lining has to have a cloud.  :facepalm:    

50 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

??? 

I'm sorry but at 5-2 up he relentlessly chased a ball into the corner, stopped it going out for a goal kick all whilst he held a defender off...

What is "can't be arsed' about that?

Note I'm also not basing this on just that bit of play, but he put a hell of a shift in last night helping lead the press from the front.

I must have watched a different game last night as I don’t remember him moving out of walking pace I’m sure time will tell if he will be a good signing or not. Watching the game last night I though pass marks for all bar Roberts and Lee 

Showed in flashes that can be a real threat for us this season . Kinda get the feeling that in some

games you'll hardly see him and in others he could be brilliant .

Dummy for Boyce, Lay on for Kingsley, picked out Halliday for decent shot.That’s just from the top of my head. Pace to burn and willing to move positions for the team. Good start from the lad sadly the boo boys need someone to pick on. 

46 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Jeezo.  For some folk, every silver lining has to have a cloud.  :facepalm:    

There’s middle ground somewhere. 

1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Always one. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I think he looks more like Peter Sutcliffe. 

2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Good pace, good crosses whipped in from both wingers yesterday.

Said elsewhere that I'm not sure how effective that'll be against teams that park the bus.

But there were one or two times in earlier games where he was less effective.

His dribbling isn't great, he beats a man by knock the ball past him and using pace but I think his physicality will be an asset, looks strong and will probably knock in a few back post headers through the course of a season.

Some pro's and cons, the jury is still out for me.

Ginelly looked better yesterday

Edited by davie1980

Takeshi kovac

Thought he played well the first half, he was direct and pinged in some nice early crosses. Anonymous second half

After an impressive display last night  in which we  scored 6 goals against the 2nd favourite team for promotion ..... why are some folk here using the word "awful" to describe 1 or 2  of our players ?     Have  these folk managed to obliterate the last 2 seasons from their memory ?

Lost for words here....

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Was much better last night, could do with using his pace more to go past the fullback. Looks promising. 

I must have watched a different game last night as I don’t remember him moving out of walking pace I’m sure time will tell if he will be a good signing or not. Watching the game last night I though pass marks for all bar Roberts and Lee 

You did, this isn't even up for debate. Did you not see Roberts play the perfect lay-off exactly where Kingsley called for it, for Kingsley to score his second goal? He got up and down the park all night. 

Neil Dongcaster

He’s ok.His ball control is lacking and I think he’ll be quite frustrating at times but is a an upgrade on someone like Mulraney or Moore.

Guest ToqueJambo

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Both he an Ginelly played well first half.

Neilson has done brilliant this window in terms of identifying the deficiencies of the Levein era squad. What a transformation in the wide and creative areas. We’re so much more equipped to stretch teams and move the ball left and right. 

I love the 4-2-3-1 set-up. Seems to be the perfect balance of attack and defence if you put the right players in the right positions.

RustyRightPeg
6 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

As a coach, maybe I appreciate the game in a different light to you and we see things differently.

For us to play well last night, it had to start with us not letting them play and defending from the front. The 3 up top were brilliant at that. When we get the ball, exploit the space in behind their fullbacks and down the side of their centre backs, which we did really well.

FWIW McPake got it horrendously wrong with their system.

I think when he gets up to speed he will get better and better 

At last, we now have genuine width and pace on the flanks.

For any criticism being directed toward Roberts on the thread  you need to be mindful that he will still have things to work on, ability wise, Otherwise you would be paying millions for the player 🤷‍♂️

The whole team looked good for me the other night - much more threatening all round,  including Roberts 

I think Roberts and Ginelly will be tremendously inconsistent. Some very good games and some utter dross. 

I think Roberts has very limited ability but at least both of them are fast and at least can cause teams problems. As opposed to the last three years when the players were generally dross and had no pace to cause teams problems. 

16 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I think he looks more like Peter Sutcliffe. 

Never trust a man with bushy hair and beard, but shaves off his sideburns.