Steven pressley looks old... And odd

Smoked-Glass

Great player, but as far as cup winning captains that I've seen go, he's the bottom of the pile. 

Baggio/Locke captained us to a cup final win against a Rangers side with players like Gattuso, Goram and Laudrup. 

Zal captained a side who spent half the season wondering where their wages were to a 5-1 horsing over Hibs. 

Elvis captained the only Hearts side I can confidently say featured genuine world class players to a penalty shoot out win over 2nd tier Gretna. 

Edited by Normthebarman

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• smiler

• Hearts1975

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Just on and saw this Pressley thread and knew exactly what pish would be talked about. Said the same for years and will say yet again...

The (laughable) chest pump....this was the action of a sad individual who knew he wasn't accepted by Celtic fans who hated him because he was ex-Rangers and ex-Hearts. Pressley's chest pump was a ploy to get the Celtic fans onside with him, nothing more when it comes to that shower (or lack of a shower). I was there when he did it and after around 10 seconds i was over it, even laughing and joking about it on the way home and also in the pub later that night. It was also a get-it-up-ye to Romanov and at no time did Pressley go towards the Hearts fans and gesture in any way. He could see what was going to happen at Hearts and as captain, wasn't happy about it so why so many Hearts fans are offended by it or just don't get it to this day still amazes me. Had it not been for Romanov's nonsense, Pressley would've finished his career at Hearts, he said that's what he wanted and he was only a year or so off a testimonial. He took the chance along with Gordon and Hartley to express his concerns, Romanov didn't like that and got rid of him. To be honest, i bet he couldn't believe his luck when Celtic wanted him. The big unexpected pay-packet plus a few unexpected medals under his belt and a much healthier bank balance....what's not to like, especially at that point in his career? He turned up at a testimonial a while later and i don't remember hearing any boos when he came on the pitch from Hearts fans that were there. Maybe an echo-y boo somewhere in the distance but generally he was applauded onto the field. 

I'll always remember Pressley as a captain who gave it everything, that game at Falkirk 2-0 down and he took it upon himself like a man possessed to run the show solo and score two late goals to steal a point from them. The bigots will remember him for a stupid, misplaced decision that i'm sure he looks back on and shakes his head at. I'll remember him as the captain of the team that lifted the 2006 Scottish Cup thanks, because let's face it...it doesn't happen that often.

Not all Hearts fans who were totally pissed off by Presley’s antics that day are “bigots”!

As for not going towards Hearts fans he sprinted 60 yards to the Gorgie end to jump up and down like a maniac right in front of Hearts fans when they scored!

Edited by Thomaso

50 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Just on and saw this Pressley thread and knew exactly what pish would be talked about. Said the same for years and will say yet again...

The (laughable) chest pump....this was the action of a sad individual who knew he wasn't accepted by Celtic fans who hated him because he was ex-Rangers and ex-Hearts. Pressley's chest pump was a ploy to get the Celtic fans onside with him, nothing more when it comes to that shower (or lack of a shower). I was there when he did it and after around 10 seconds i was over it, even laughing and joking about it on the way home and also in the pub later that night. It was also a get-it-up-ye to Romanov and at no time did Pressley go towards the Hearts fans and gesture in any way. He could see what was going to happen at Hearts and as captain, wasn't happy about it so why so many Hearts fans are offended by it or just don't get it to this day still amazes me. Had it not been for Romanov's nonsense, Pressley would've finished his career at Hearts, he said that's what he wanted and he was only a year or so off a testimonial. He took the chance along with Gordon and Hartley to express his concerns, Romanov didn't like that and got rid of him. To be honest, i bet he couldn't believe his luck when Celtic wanted him. The big unexpected pay-packet plus a few unexpected medals under his belt and a much healthier bank balance....what's not to like, especially at that point in his career? He turned up at a testimonial a while later and i don't remember hearing any boos when he came on the pitch from Hearts fans that were there. Maybe an echo-y boo somewhere in the distance but generally he was applauded onto the field. 

I'll always remember Pressley as a captain who gave it everything, that game at Falkirk 2-0 down and he took it upon himself like a man possessed to run the show solo and score two late goals to steal a point from them. The bigots will remember him for a stupid, misplaced decision that i'm sure he looks back on and shakes his head at. I'll remember him as the captain of the team that lifted the 2006 Scottish Cup thanks, because let's face it...it doesn't happen that often.

If it was not for Romanov, Pressley would have been at Celtic long before he did.

Edited by Gambo

35 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Great player, but as far as cup winning captains that I've seen go, he's the bottom of the pile. 

Baggio/Locke captained us to a cup final win against a Rangers side with players like Gattuso, Goram and Laudrup. 

Zal captained a side who spent half the season wondering where their wages were to a 5-1 horsing over Hibs. 

Elvis captained the only Hearts side I can confidently say featured genuine world class players to a penalty shoot out win over 2nd tier Gretna. 

Very good point. Particularly about Zal. 

On the TV it looked like his brain was working in slow motion. Amateur hour on the beeb was completed by the two grinning idiot match pundits.

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

Careful not to mention how we got to that final 😏

22 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Careful not to mention how we got to that final 😏

If we want to look at run ins to the final, Zal also skippered a skelping over the Celtic tramps. 

Look, I don't really have a massive beef over Elvis, he was a great player and great captain, but I do think Zal gets overlooked when taking about great skippers. He captained us to one of the biggest games in the clubs history, during a season of absolute turmoil, with players who, other than Rudi, were nothing special. 

Not to mention the absolute sterling work when shit really hit the fan and we had to raise funds just to keep the lights on. How much did he bid for his own shirt (or was it boots?) again? It was either high 4 figures or possibly even low five. 

I just think that, as cup winning captains go, Zal deserves a lot more respect than he gets. 

4 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

If we want to look at run ins to the final, Zal also skippered a skelping over the Celtic tramps. 

Look, I don't really have a massive beef over Elvis, he was a great player and great captain, but I do think Zal gets overlooked when taking about great skippers. He captained us to one of the biggest games in the clubs history, during a season of absolute turmoil, with players who, other than Rudi, were nothing special. 

Not to mention the absolute sterling work when shit really hit the fan and we had to raise funds just to keep the lights on. How much did he bid for his own shirt (or was it boots?) again? It was either high 4 figures or possibly even low five. 

I just think that, as cup winning captains go, Zal deserves a lot more respect than he gets. 

Yep totally agree about Zal. 👍

The BBC interview with him behind the goal during the celebrations that day showed him for the PHM that he is. 

7 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Spot on 👍

More important things going on right now than a Pressley chest pump a number of years ago.

I have filed this particular episode under “Forgotten”.

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not all Hearts fans who were totally pissed off by Presley’s antics that day are “bigots”!

As for not going towards Hearts fans he sprinted 60 yards to the Gorgie end to jump up and down like a maniac right in front of Hearts fans when they scored!

Maybe not all were/are bigots but i'd guess a large majority of wannabe Huns have the biggest issue with it.

I remember him going to the Celtic end and jumping about like a daftie in front of the Celtic fans with a wanted look of acceptance from them at the end of the game because they hated him for his past clubs.  Plus it doesn't take away all the other stuff that i replied about, conveniently swept under the rug with a lot of folk which, is actually the main and most important point regarding Pressley. I remember Craig Gordon jumping about punching his fist in the air a few times in a Celtic top as well at Tynecastle so is that any worse? I'd actually say it was given he's a supposed "Hearts fan". Fickleness knows no boundaries. 

Anyway, who cares! it was way over a decade ago and fans still argue the same pish every time there's a thread on him. Get over it, i was over it 10 seconds after it happened! One thing he was right about was the way Romanov was taking the club down. He and his team-mates were rightly concerned. And look what happened only a few years or so after. 

As i said, i'll remember him as a captain who lifted the Scottish Cup for our club, for the amount of games he played as well as taking penalties, getting us points where it seemed almost impossible like that time at Falkirk. If anyone else wants to remember him for a daft brain-fart moment where he tried to lick Smeltic fans arses in the sad, vain hope of acceptance then let them. 

32 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Maybe not all were/are bigots but i'd guess a large majority of wannabe Huns have the biggest issue with it.

I remember him going to the Celtic end and jumping about like a daftie in front of the Celtic fans with a wanted look of acceptance from them at the end of the game because they hated him for his past clubs.  Plus it doesn't take away all the other stuff that i replied about, conveniently swept under the rug with a lot of folk which, is actually the main and most important point regarding Pressley. I remember Craig Gordon jumping about punching his fist in the air a few times in a Celtic top as well at Tynecastle so is that any worse? I'd actually say it was given he's a supposed "Hearts fan". Fickleness knows no boundaries. 

Anyway, who cares! it was way over a decade ago and fans still argue the same pish every time there's a thread on him. Get over it, i was over it 10 seconds after it happened! One thing he was right about was the way Romanov was taking the club down. He and his team-mates were rightly concerned. And look what happened only a few years or so after. 

As i said, i'll remember him as a captain who lifted the Scottish Cup for our club, for the amount of games he played as well as taking penalties, getting us points where it seemed almost impossible like that time at Falkirk. If anyone else wants to remember him for a daft brain-fart moment where he tried to lick Smeltic fans arses in the sad, vain hope of acceptance then let them. 

Fine you’re entitled to your opinion 

Edited by Thomaso

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, XB52 said:

He got the biggest cheer of the day when he came on. A few, very few, boos which is the only actual evidence of what Hearts fans think of him.

A solid reminder that JKB is in no way representative of Hearts fans in general.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

A solid reminder that JKB is in no way representative of Hearts fans in general.

You are correct - it certainly was the case with Levein......

I just got around to listening to Saturday's OTB podcast with Elvis as guest.  He was asked about the Romanov era and the Riccarton 3, his response was as we thought at the time that Romanov  picked the teams and designated the times of the substitutes.  That we beat Gretna was a miracle in itself.  

21 hours ago, jambonian said:

a good analysis to bring some balance to the debate.

13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not only the “bigots” remember him for being an idiot that day...

There's a difference between remembering him for being an idiot (it wasn't the brightest thing to do after all), and still being petty and bitter about it and him after all this time. The more balanced of us prefer to remember the sterling effort he put in as a player and captain of the club over many years, and forgive him one moment of silliness.

Edited by redjambo

31 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not only the “bigots” remember him for being an idiot that day...

Where you getting the Bigot chat from. 

There are plenty Hearts fans who favour Rangers over Celtic. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bigots. 

My issue is why do they care. 

My focus is always on Hearts couldn't give a monkeys about other teams. 

23 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Conveniently forgetting who we horses 4.0 to get to that final

46 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Where you getting the Bigot chat from. 

There are plenty Hearts fans who favour Rangers over Celtic. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bigots. 

My issue is why do they care. 

My focus is always on Hearts couldn't give a monkeys about other teams. 

Where do I get the “bigot” chat from????

From those on here that keep mentioning it! 😏

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

There's a difference between remembering him for being an idiot (it wasn't the brightest thing to do after all), and still being petty and bitter about it and him after all this time. The more balanced of us prefer to remember the sterling effort he put in as a player and captain of the club over many years, and forgive him one moment of silliness.

One moment? It was a 90 minute wind up!

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

One moment? It was a 90 minute wind up!

:D

Don't worry, I'm sure the therapy will help you come to terms with it at some point.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D

Don't worry, I'm sure the therapy will help you come to terms with it at some point.

I don’t give a FF about Pressley - just giving my opinion as others have.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Conveniently forgetting who we horses 4.0 to get to that final

I'll just post the same reply I made to the other person who made that point..... 

10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

On the contrary, from the number of posts with your name on this thread, it is obvious that you do give more than a FF. :)

My opinion on Pressley is always the same when this crops up. For me, Pressley was captain at the time when I really got into watching Hearts and was old enough to take it all in. He remained captain, and one of our best players, right up until I was nearly a teenager. I just like remembering what a player he was for us and that's that, but I get why people dislike him.

Love him or loathe him all you want, does it really matter?

Edited by Locky

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Where do I get the “bigot” chat from????

From those on here that keep mentioning it! 😏

🙂

On 16/10/2020 at 22:07, smiler said:

The personal abuse of Pressley is very disappointing. The guys a cup winning captain and club legend. There's actually some plum on here who doesn't even  have him in as one of his top 10 captains ever.

Astounding. Hopefully this thread gets removed.

This 

I only care about what Pressley did in a maroon jersey. That makes him a cup-winning club legend, whether people him or not.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Even worse than his Celtic antics was his belief that he was too good to manage in the Scottish leagues :rofl:

His Celtic antics at Tynecastle pissed me off. His delusion that he was too good to manage in Scotland was TBH a bit sad as he exposed himself as a man living in a fantasy.

Listening to him on Off the Ball talking about the 'Steven Pressley Brand' was sensational. He mentioned that he is an Aberdeen supporter.

I wonder what the logo of his brand is? 🤔🐍

Listened to the Off the Ball podcast, and Pressley actually brought up the subject of players celebrating when they return to former clubs. If the subject had been allowed to develop it could have settled the perennial argument on here about his actions and if he had any regrets, unfortunately Tam slavered on about Motherwell for a while and then changed the subject without bothering to ask Elvis his views.

At least it reminded me why I gave up listening to Off the Ball.

9 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

I'll just post the same reply I made to the other person who made that point..... 

No problem at all giving big Zal all the respect in the world. But folk saying Elvis doesn't deserve respect because he only beat Gretna in the final does my knitting in

55 minutes ago, Smack said:

Listening to him on Off the Ball talking about the 'Steven Pressley Brand' was sensational. He mentioned that he is an Aberdeen supporter.

I wonder what the logo of his brand is? 🤔🐍

In context, all people who go through the LMA degree at John Moores University need to do a 1500 word dissertation on their 'brand'

Just before the 'what a self centred pretentious *****' comments come in.

9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

For someone who doesn't give a FF you sure do post a lot on the subject 

I bumped into Presley a few days before he was sacked (but ‘suspended’) by Romanov. He seemed fairly sure he’d be back playing in no time. 
It was clear to me how much he loved it at Hearts, & rated the players.

He was an outstanding Captain for us, but made a mistake (with good intentions) by picking a public fight with Romanov. 
The chest pump was a disgrace -but I can see why he wanted to publicly GIRUY to Romanov. 

Here is one of the Riccarton 3, who signed for Celtic, and returned to play Hearts at Tynecastle - but he didn’t get a hard time and is still universally loved by all Hearts fans........so what’s the difference? 🤔

D96F25FE-99D5-4E81-AD00-CAAC3C39B263.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Here is one of the Riccarton 3, who signed for Celtic, and returned to play Hearts at Tynecastle - but he didn’t get a hard time and is still universally loved by all Hearts fans........so what’s the difference? 🤔

About 8 stone?

SectionDJambo
11 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

And who, I'm still convinced, deliberately missed that penalty. The one that was a soft award, as usual, when we were already plenty goals down. He looked, to me, that he didn't want to pile any more crap onto us, on the day. I don't think he ever missed one for us, but he missed by a big margin in that game.

The thing that gets forgotten about in the sad Pressley saga, the fallout of which looks like dividing opinion forevermore, is that Strachan did his bit to stir things up by making him Celtic captain, just for that game. 

It was just a bad time for us, when we knew that the club was crumbling behind the scenes and we were powerless to stop the nonsense. When we were looking for friends to show support to the Hearts fans, we got something different. I think that is why it hurt so many, so much.

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

And who, I'm still convinced, deliberately missed that penalty. The one that was a soft award, as usual, when we were already plenty goals down. He looked, to me, that he didn't want to pile any more crap onto us, on the day. I don't think he ever missed one for us, but he missed by a big margin in that game.

The thing that gets forgotten about in the sad Pressley saga, the fallout of which looks like dividing opinion forevermore, is that Strachan did his bit to stir things up by making him Celtic captain, just for that game. 

It was just a bad time for us, when we knew that the club was crumbling behind the scenes and we were powerless to stop the nonsense. When we were looking for friends to show support to the Hearts fans, we got something different. I think that is why it hurt so many, so much.

I also believe he meant to miss that penalty to save further misery heaped on us! A true Hearts legend.

Edited by Thomaso