Steven pressley looks old... And odd

Smoked-Glass

9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Again absolute nonsense - name these bigots on here who would put it down to “banter” if he had been playing for Rangers.

Answer me this - why do these alleged bigots not give Hartley a hard time on here - like Pressley he was a “Hearts Legend” and played for Celtic at Tynecastle?

You know perfectly well we can't name them. 

All we can do is challenge them when they post. 

You called them bigots not me. 

Anyway Hearts were brilliant tonight and Elvis was clearly delighted. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• smiler

• Hearts1975

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You know perfectly well we can't name them. 

All we can do is challenge them when they post. 

You called them bigots not me. 

Anyway Hearts were brilliant tonight and Elvis was clearly delighted. 

Your point was that it was only because he played for Celtic and not Rangers that he got a hard time - were you not suggesting bigotry there?

Totally agree with your comment that Hearts were brilliant. 👍

10 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s tantamount to heresy.  Do you think John Cumming would chest pump at tynie wearing a Celtic strip? 

More to the point, John Cumming would in all probability have stood up to Vlad the Nutcase. And if he’d been offloaded to another team because of that, he would have given 100% to the cause even playing against Hearts. No half-measures with these two heroes.

Pressley is the best captain since the 1950s. Those who choose to decry him diminish themselves.

I was delighted to see him at Tynecastle last night, because here is where he belongs.

9 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

More to the point, John Cumming would in all probability have stood up to Vlad the Nutcase. And if he’d been offloaded to another team because of that, he would have given 100% to the cause even playing against Hearts. No half-measures with these two heroes.

Pressley is the best captain since the 1950s. Those who choose to decry him diminish themselves.

I was delighted to see him at Tynecastle last night, because here is where he belongs.

In what capacity?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

after all these years I see the students of human behaviour still haven’t answered the Sir Paul Hartley question

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

In what capacity?

Obviously not as a manager. Just as a legend is enough. He should be welcomed and cheered to the rafters.

10 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

after all these years I see the students of human behaviour still haven’t answered the Sir Paul Hartley question

:lol:

Exactly!

5 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Obviously not as a manager. Just as a legend is enough. He should be welcomed and cheered to the rafters.

He can come as a double act with Levein....

11 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Best Post on the thread. I will take every single moment of him in my memory as our Captain fantastic and heartbeat of our team who would have walked through walls for the benefit of the club. He was Hearts through and through.

One feckin chest thump, Jesus - I was at that same game and was absolutely sickened by the level of abuse that he got from some “so called” fans. He takes it and takes it and gives his chest a thump and that’s him ruined, in the eyes of some - shocking 

That post up above is an absolute shocker 

Well said.

11 hours ago, vladisacoward said:

Pressley can get tae for me. Judas. Looks and sounds like there is something wrong with him but he's always sounded like that. Awful pundit apart from anything else and has barely a clue what he is talking about as an utter failure as a manager unsurprisingly. Who on earth the bird alongside him was Lord only knows but she shouldn't have been there. They managed to somehow make the wee hobgoblin Sutherland look good and that is saying something.

And you're probably crucifying us for conceding two goals.  Now who's the coward?

11 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Me too. A leader, an inspirational captain and a Scottish Cup winning legend. 

And me.  Those on here that are slagging him off have little memories.

Just now, chrystaf said:

And me.  Those on here that are slagging him off have little memories.

To the contrary I have a long memory of his games for Hearts and his antics when playing against us.

10 hours ago, smiler said:

Yep, agree.

I've known that for years. Stopped me from posting for years, but now I'm standing up to them. 

He speaks well of the club. History aside, its nice to hear for once. Not got the energy for Mikey Stewarts permanegativity despite us being 'his' club and him having captained us... 

Ex member of the SaS

Club legend right up to when he did the chest thump, but even worse for me was when he help up the ball and persuaded the ref to change his decision. No matter how much you want the best for your current team he went too far in both these instances. Will never look at him the same now.

13 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Forget Pressley, but you’ve got to be joking about Leanne. She’s pish. 

With you on that one. She is torture. She might be over taking JONATHAN 

- start loud and fast then finish quiet and slow - Sutherlaaaaaaand 

On a serious note though Steven didn't look well last night and I hope there isn't some kind of medical issue.

34 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

On a serious note though Steven didn't look well last night and I hope there isn't some kind of medical issue.

Agree with your last paragraph. Hope he's alright. 

I wouldn't be too severe on the presenters and pundits. 

Remember it's a low budget production unlike the massively overpaid prima donas on MOTD who also spout pish just a more expensive style of pish. 

I don't usually bother listening to the blethering but they were praising Hearts so I made an exception to the rule. 👍

1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

My opinion of Pressley does not change the fact that I would wish him all the best if he did have a medical problem.

1 hour ago, heartandsoul said:

He was a legend in my eyes, but what he did that day at Tynecastle is something I wish I could forget but somehow cant.

Many share that view 

A_A wehatethehibs

I wonder what it would be like if he ever tried pundit job like that with fans in the ground, he would probably take absolute pelters. 

I have many good memories of him, but it’s a sad thing he did what he did in a Celtic shirt goading the Hearts fans. Really ruined his relationship with the hard core of the club, permanently. A lot of folk out there want him to be still a legend because there are so many good memories, sadly there’ll always be something broken in his relationship with Hearts.

An example to every player of why never to celebrate against your old club, will taint you. A lot of strikers go out their way when they score against a former club not to celebrate at all, to respect the fans and respect their legacy. But Pressley never done that. As has been said above it will haunt him forever and he will never get the chance to make up for it. 

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I wonder what it would be like if he ever tried pundit job like that with fans in the ground, he would probably take absolute pelters. 

I have many good memories of him, but it’s a sad thing he did what he did in a Celtic shirt goading the Hearts fans. Really ruined his relationship with the hard core of the club, permanently. A lot of folk out there want him to be still a legend because there are so many good memories, sadly there’ll always be something broken in his relationship with Hearts.

An example to every player of why never to celebrate against your old club, will taint you. A lot of strikers go out their way when they score against a former club not to celebrate at all, to respect the fans and respect their legacy. But Pressley never done that. As has been said above it will haunt him forever and he will never get the chance to make up for it. 

Great post - absolutely nailed it.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

He speaks well of the club. History aside, its nice to hear for once. Not got the energy for Mikey Stewarts permanegativity despite us being 'his' club and him having captained us... 

Made a change from the Sutton and Craigan slavers, speaks very quietly and talked sense.

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

😄 He's been a pundit many a time with crowds in attendance. Hibs v Hearts earlier this year being a recent example. 

I don't think there is anything broken in the relationship. Just a small minority easily offended and seem to be suffering worse as time goes on. 

As for not celebrating to respect the fans, that's a nonsense. I'd be giving it big kicks if I scored against a former club. When Rudi set up Raith's equaliser, it didn't stop him celebrating. Beattie v Celtic likewise. 

12 hours ago, luckydug said:

If Elvis had been playing for Rangers and done what he did, some of his biggest critics on here would have put it down to 'banter'

Don't think so mate, you must remember the 50 page thread of impotent rage after Lafferty returned to Tyncastle and celebrated so much after a Rangers win that Berra wanted to chin him.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11788/11570452/christophe-berra-says-kyle-lafferty-lacked-class-in-rangers-win-over-hearts

And the folk who shake with rage at the very mention of Pressley's name definitely didn't want the re-sign Lafferty cos he is up for the 'big' games.

There's absolutely no doubt that posters who pile in to every Elvis thread to call him a snake will still be doing the same to Lafferty in 10 years time

:look:

18 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

😄 He's been a pundit many a time with crowds in attendance. Hibs v Hearts earlier this year being a recent example. 

I don't think there is anything broken in the relationship. Just a small minority easily offended and seem to be suffering worse as time goes on. 

As for not celebrating to respect the fans, that's a nonsense. I'd be giving it big kicks if I scored against a former club. When Rudi set up Raith's equaliser, it didn't stop him celebrating. Beattie v Celtic likewise. 

How do you know it’s a small minority? 🤔

47 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Steven Presley is a Hearts legend and he is welcomed at tyncastle anytime. 

by some....

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

How do you know it’s a small minority? 🤔

Because I've only heard of very few to be riled by him. 

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Because I've only heard of very few to be riled by him. 

I’ve heard of many who were riled by him.

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I’ve heard of many who were riled by him.

Apparently he got a good reception from the crowd when he appeared at Robbies  testimonial a few years ago. 

Any resentment would have been stronger back then as well.

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Steven Presley is a Hearts legend and he is welcomed at tyncastle anytime. 

He isn't to me and he's not by me. 

I watched him walk up to a support that he knew didn't really like him all that much and do what he did in front of a support that he knew had loved him. 

He's a rat and he always will be. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

Elvis was a great player and captain for us for around a decade, That celtic incident at tynecastle was very dissapointing for me and i think he will look back on that with regret IMO. He comes across as a little arrogant sometimes as a manager/pundit, Definitely the type you want on your side rather than against you.

11 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

My opinion of Pressley does not change the fact that I would wish him all the best if he did have a medical problem.

:thumb:

12 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

I wish him good fortune..

ooh-aah-cantona

I reckon his laddie Aaron will end up playing for us whilst Robbie is in charge.

He is a striker at Brentford B and actually came through our youth ranks (think he was same team as Cochrane) before moving to Aston Villa.

23 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I like Pressley and I don't hold any grudges. He was having a go at Romanov and, although I wasn't happy at the time, on reflection  I can see why he did what he did. 

He was an inspiration both on and off the park and he still holds the club close to his heart when it's all said and done.

I hold no truck with the snake stuff but we all have our individual views and that's fair enough.

My sentiments echo yours jonno. A good and well balanced post.

I hated his chest thumping at the time but looking back I don’t think it was personally aimed at the fans. It was a GIRFUY to Vlad. I know it tarnished his reputation but emotions ran high that day and we shouldn’t persecute him for the rest of his life for it. 

He’s a cup winning captain with us and always gave his all when he played so I’ll give him the respect he’s due as he earned it. I wish him all  the best. 

On 16/10/2020 at 23:10, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Let’s not bend the facts. It wasn’t just one chest thump - he was at the wind up from the first minute!

He did not get dogs abuse from the start - when he came out for the warm up he was warmly applauded by Hearts fans, however his stupid antics during the game resulted in Hearts fans giving him verbals!

Over the top goal celebrations, jumping up and down as if he’d won the World Cup at the final whistle, then his lone salute in front of Celtic fans thumping the chest!

Compare his behaviour to Hartley who was also one of the Riccarton 3 and signed by Celtic. He came back to Tynecastle and played hard and fair with no stupid antics in front of the fans who loved him - hence is welcomed back to Tynecastle by all fans.

Anyway who gives a FF about Pressley on a night where our team played great and hammered Dundee 6-2.

I recall similar to you. He got a decent reception at the start of the game. Then quite early in, Bednar went past him and was through on goal, Presley fell over, grabbed him by the leg and wasn't even booked. The most blatant professional foul. At that point, the crowd turned and started treating him as a Celtic player rather than our ex Captain. 

I always though the chest bump was a dig at the Hearts support that day rather than Romanov. I've forgiven it now but wasn't overly impressed at the time!! 

Edited by Aaron78

35 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

I recall similar to you. He got a decent reception at the start of the game. Then quite early in, Bednar went past him and was through on goal, Presley fell over, grabbed him by the leg and wasn't even booked. The most blatant professional foul. At that point, the crowd turned and started treating him as a Celtic player rather than our ex Captain. 

I always though the chest bump was a dig at the Hearts support that day rather than Romanov. I've forgiven it now but wasn't overly impressed at the time!! 

After he hauled down Bednar he was in the referee’s face claiming Bednar had dived!

Because he won the toss and reversed the usual direction of play, Celtic were kicking towards the Gorgie end in the second half. When they scored their two goals Pressley sprinted 60 yards to wildly jump up and down right in front of the Hearts fans! 
It was never just about one chest thump aimed at Vlad as some say, he was at the wind up all day!

Edited by Thomaso

Central Belt 1874
12 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

After he hauled down Bednar he was in the referee’s face claiming Bednar had dived!

Because he won the toss and reversed the usual direction of play, Celtic were kicking towards the Gorgie end in the second half. When they scored their two goals Pressley sprinted 60 yards to wildly jump up and down right in front of the Hearts fans! 
It was never just about one chest thump aimed at Vlad as some say, he was at the wind up all day!

And then there was his unprofessional behaviour when he returned with Falkirk. 

Anyone on here claiming it was just one chest thump has very, very short memories.

Having said that, I like him as a pundit and hold no grudges. He has however, tarnished what should have been legendary status with the club. He was a great player and captain. 

11 hours ago, luckydug said:

Apparently he got a good reception from the crowd when he appeared at Robbies  testimonial a few years ago. 

Any resentment would have been stronger back then as well.

He got the biggest cheer of the day when he came on. A few, very few, boos which is the only actual evidence of what Hearts fans think of him.

On 16/10/2020 at 22:18, steveo654 said:

Hibs fan. Piss off to hobnob.net

I Remember his return game to Tynecastle after signing for Celtic.

Things were starting to turn really bleak for us, and he was loving it. 

I always felt he could never separate his beef with the club owners from the fans, meaning his bitterness spilled over onto the park when it came to Hearts. So, he can do one. Elvis severed all ties with the club. 

I’m a fan of Presley the Hearts player, but not so much the person. Plus, it was meant mainly in jest. 

40 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

And then there was his unprofessional behaviour when he returned with Falkirk. 

Anyone on here claiming it was just one chest thump has very, very short memories.

Having said that, I like him as a pundit and hold no grudges. He has however, tarnished what should have been legendary status with the club. He was a great player and captain. 

A very fair assessment 👍

21 minutes ago, chimpto said:

I Remember his return game to Tynecastle after signing for Celtic.

Things were starting to turn really bleak for us, and he was loving it. 

I always felt he could never separate his beef with the club owners from the fans, meaning his bitterness spilled over onto the park when it came to Hearts. So, he can do one. Elvis severed all ties with the club. 

I’m a fan of Presley the Hearts player, but not so much the person. Plus, it was meant mainly in jest. 

Spot on 👍

Just on and saw this Pressley thread and knew exactly what pish would be talked about. Said the same for years and will say yet again...

The (laughable) chest pump....this was the action of a sad individual who knew he wasn't accepted by Celtic fans who hated him because he was ex-Rangers and ex-Hearts. Pressley's chest pump was a ploy to get the Celtic fans onside with him, nothing more when it comes to that shower (or lack of a shower). I was there when he did it and after around 10 seconds i was over it, even laughing and joking about it on the way home and also in the pub later that night. It was also a get-it-up-ye to Romanov and at no time did Pressley go towards the Hearts fans and gesture in any way. He could see what was going to happen at Hearts and as captain, wasn't happy about it so why so many Hearts fans are offended by it or just don't get it to this day still amazes me. Had it not been for Romanov's nonsense, Pressley would've finished his career at Hearts, he said that's what he wanted and he was only a year or so off a testimonial. He took the chance along with Gordon and Hartley to express his concerns, Romanov didn't like that and got rid of him. To be honest, i bet he couldn't believe his luck when Celtic wanted him. The big unexpected pay-packet plus a few unexpected medals under his belt and a much healthier bank balance....what's not to like, especially at that point in his career? He turned up at a testimonial a while later and i don't remember hearing any boos when he came on the pitch from Hearts fans that were there. Maybe an echo-y boo somewhere in the distance but generally he was applauded onto the field. 

I'll always remember Pressley as a captain who gave it everything, that game at Falkirk 2-0 down and he took it upon himself like a man possessed to run the show solo and score two late goals to steal a point from them. The bigots will remember him for a stupid, misplaced decision that i'm sure he looks back on and shakes his head at. I'll remember him as the captain of the team that lifted the 2006 Scottish Cup thanks, because let's face it...it doesn't happen that often.

Edited by jambonian