Smart Thermostat for Boilers

milky_26

I am thinking about getting one of those smart thermostats like Nest or Hive or the many other brands. Any recommendations for which one is better, also i would like to add the smart radiator thermostats so it is easier to control the heat in individual rooms are they any good or just a gimmick?

These might be of use...

I was sure there was a more lengthy thread where they were both discussed earlier this year, but I didn't find it after a quick search.

@hughesie27 did you have a thread on them?

32 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

These might be of use...

I was sure there was a more lengthy thread where they were both discussed earlier this year, but I didn't find it after a quick search.

@hughesie27 did you have a thread on them?

Had ours for just over a month so not long enough to really tell how handy it is. Indid get a monthly round up email today though fkr September telling me I had heated the house for 2 hours that month. Will be a lot more this month.

Turning itself off when you leave the house is great (it knows when your phones are nearby) and being able to use alexa to make quick changes to temp is also good.

Don't have the radiator valves for independent smart use but will probably get the week Nest thermometer things when they are available in the UK.

I did have to return  the first one we had as it had a common dodgy WiFi chip which would prevent it connecting. They sent one out and I sent the broken 1 back in the packaging they used foe the new one.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

thanks for those links, looks like i will go for the hive one

I couldn’t believe how easy it was to use from your mobile.

Got it fitted last month.

I never did get one of these jobbies as I'm too tight. I'd probably still opt for Nest but it would only offer me heating controls that aren't a huge benefit to me. Google home (Alexa/apple for some) has taken care of anything else you want to add on and I'd think that would stay central to any system.

Can Hive turn your heating off automatically when you leave the house by using your (and anyone else in the house) mobile phone as a proximity detector? 

29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Can Hive turn your heating off automatically when you leave the house by using your (and anyone else in the house) mobile phone as a proximity detector? 

I dont know if Hive can do that automatically but you'd be able to set it up using Tasker or similar on an Android mobile if it doesn't.

You'd need to set up a dynamic DNS to keep track of your router, there are free ones, then set up port forwarding on your router to point to your Hive, then in Tasker tell it to send the Off message when the mobile loses your home WiFi signal.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Just stop the boost button when you leave the house.

It’s that easy.

56 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just stop the boost button when you leave the house.

It’s that easy.

Not as easy as just leaving the house and not thinking about it.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Not as easy as just leaving the house and not thinking about it.

😀

Seriously we're relying on technology more and not thinking for ourselves. 

24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

😀

Seriously we're relying on technology more and not thinking for ourselves. 

And it is glorious.

12 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Yes, and it can also switch off any Hive lights which you have. 

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Yes, and it can also switch off any Hive lights which you have. 

Is it not the case that it just alerts you that you have left the heating/lights on and you then have to manually switch them off on the phone, rather than it being automatic?

11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is it not the case that it just alerts you that you have left the heating/lights on and you then have to manually switch them off on the phone, rather than it being automatic?

That's what I thought. It's under 'Geolocation' in the app settings.

Just had a look and it seems you can get stuff to turn off when you leave. You need Hive sensors though.

Edited by Lemongrab

14 hours ago, Smithee said:

I dont know if Hive can do that automatically but you'd be able to set it up using Tasker or similar on an Android mobile if it doesn't.

You'd need to set up a dynamic DNS to keep track of your router, there are free ones, then set up port forwarding on your router to point to your Hive, then in Tasker tell it to send the Off message when the mobile loses your home WiFi signal.

Everyone else left behind in the house would be thankful for that I'm sure

On 16/10/2020 at 13:45, milky_26 said:

I am thinking about getting one of those smart thermostats like Nest or Hive or the many other brands. Any recommendations for which one is better, also i would like to add the smart radiator thermostats so it is easier to control the heat in individual rooms are they any good or just a gimmick?

Hive is good like putting the heating on from your phone when still in bed.

Or in the pub, (if you go, i dont)

1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

We are looking at getting radiator thermostats fitted, has anybody any idea of the cost per radiator?

Think the valves are easy enough to fit yourself, so will only be the cost of the valve (about £45 for the hive ones).

19 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It definitely does have the proximity / geo location for heating and lights. We found it to be not very useful for the types of journeys we do though and would often switch on and off the heating when we were within 500 metres of the house, but never actually got there! 

Depending on the age of your boiler, it’s worth looking at whether it is open therm compatible. This is an algorithm that would alter the flow temperature of your boiler depending on how close to the target room temp. This means you have less overshoot and is much more efficient. Nest is open therm compatible, hive is not. Hive is basically the same as an old style timer/room thermostat that connects to the internet it is really pretty basic.

Edited by Machiavelli

1 hour ago, Machiavelli said:

Depending on the age of your boiler, it’s worth looking at whether it is open therm compatible. This is an algorithm that would alter the flow temperature of your boiler depending on how close to the target room temp. This means you have less overshoot and is much more efficient. Nest is open therm compatible, hive is not. Hive is basically the same as an old style timer/room thermostat that connects to the internet it is really pretty basic.

Don't think Hive creates a schedule based on your usage either. Unlike the Nest which learns and adapts anytime you manually adjust the temp. The Neat also looks a lot more sleek on the wall and can show you a number of things on its screen whilst idle.

20 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Lazy is the way forward.

:P

It sure is. I've got a ring doorbell, and have even got into the habit of checking the video to see if the postman has made a delivery rather than actually getting of my arse and going to the front door to check. 😴

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

It sure is. I've got a ring doorbell, and have even got into the habit of checking the video to see if the postman has made a delivery rather than actually getting of my arse and going to the front door to check. 😴

:lol:

My half sister
2 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

There's an App called 'Lose Weight' I would recommend for people like you.

51 minutes ago, My half sister said:

There's an App called 'Lose Weight' I would recommend for people like you.

I'll have you know that I'm not overweight. Just overlazy...

Anyhoo, back on topic. I've got hive for heating and light control and find it very useful. Hive is owned by British Gas, so it won't be for everyone. You can control your heating by geologging, which will switch the heating on when you get within 'x' miles from home. It does also work with Amazon Echo show devices.

Edited by Hugh Phamism

My half sister
42 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

I'll have you know that I'm not overweight. Just overlazy...

Sorry Mate, only a wee joke.