Remembrance Service at Haymarket (Pre-recorded service to be streamed)

Seymour M Hersh

No it wont. The cenotaph parade is not taking place this year. The British Legion has informed its members not to travel or attend.

That’s a shame but understandable. I’ll be going along regardless and will quietly observe my minutes silence and pay my respects as I always do. I’ll then follow this by a few beers in the guards club if it’s open. 

It’s one day in the calendar I always look forward to. My great grandfather (a Harrison) was a member of the leith battalion Royal Scots and went over the top at the Somme. He survived but shell shock robed him of a normal life when he returned. Lest we forget! 

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

No it wont. The cenotaph parade is not taking place this year. The British Legion has informed its members not to travel or attend.

It's a pity but of course understandable. I wonder if this will be the first time it hasn't gone ahead?

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I should have added "official news". You know from the club. I fully expect it to be different even cancelled but perhaps they'll do a virtual ceremony. 

27 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I should have added "official news". You know from the club. I fully expect it to be different even cancelled but perhaps they'll do a virtual ceremony. 

I imagine there will be no ceremony as such but the wreaths will be laid with no fuss. The JKB wreath has been paid for and should be delivered to the Guards Club as usual. 

onwards and upwards
26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine there will be no ceremony as such but the wreaths will be laid with no fuss. The JKB wreath has been paid for and should be delivered to the Guards Club as usual. 

Is that the Guards club on West Maitland Street Dave, or is that closed down now? 

2 minutes ago, onwards and upwards said:

Is that the Guards club on West Maitland Street Dave, or is that closed down now? 

Still there. 

2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

That’s a shame but understandable. I’ll be going along regardless and will quietly observe my minutes silence and pay my respects as I always do. I’ll then follow this by a few beers in the guards club if it’s open. 

It’s one day in the calendar I always look forward to. My great grandfather (a Harrison) was a member of the leith battalion Royal Scots and went over the top at the Somme. He survived but shell shock robed him of a normal life when he returned. Lest we forget! 

That's a barry wee boozer that. Glad to hear it's still open, it's done the job for a few pre-match beers many times.

I went last year and as usual was a very nice service but was

saddened to hear from an official from the club i was talking to at the 

ceremony that it was not going to take place again this was obviously nothing 

to do with COVID-19 at the time as no one had heard of that at the time

10 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

I went last year and as usual was a very nice service but was

saddened to hear from an official from the club i was talking to at the 

ceremony that it was not going to take place again this was obviously nothing 

to do with COVID-19 at the time as no one had heard of that at the time

Strange thing for someone to say. I think this would be the subject of intense discussion if it were true so I assume you must have misunderstood what was said. 

16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Strange thing for someone to say. I think this would be the subject of intense discussion if it were true so I assume you must have misunderstood what was said. 

To be quite honest I was talking aback 

Hopefully someone could set up some sort of official online event or perhaps it's already been thought of? 

17 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Sorry Seymour, didn't see your post with totally agree with you. Virtual ceremonies also have the advantage that they can be broadcast at hospitals and retirement homes etc.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Well said, SJ.

We will be there next year my friend. 

We will indeed my friend...and a long awaited and much needed beer. 

13 hours ago, JAMBONI said:

Cheers 🦻 It's unfortunate about the service at Haymarket.  I may wander along anyway.

This..I live along the road.. As long as folk keep distance...should be able to pay our respects...

I see there's supposed to Be a civic service in East Princes street...

It lifts the heart... But folk have to be sensible.......

onwards and upwards
On 15/10/2020 at 21:55, davemclaren said:

Close though. 😎

The same Scots Guards club my great Grandad who'd take me to on a Sunday? In 1975?  Upstairs,  one arm bandit and grandads playing domino's! 

Edited by onwards and upwards

3 minutes ago, onwards and upwards said:

The same Scots Guards club my great Grandad who'd take me to on a Sunday? In 1975? 

The old boy on the door was brilliant. Always gave us shit when we showed RAF  id's. "Watch yer bums boys, the brylcream boys are in the bar" 😂 😂 

Always treated brilliantly and all the English boys i took to Tynie via the club still have a soft spot for us. 

onwards and upwards
4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

The old boy on the door was brilliant. Always gave us shit when we showed RAF  id's. "Watch yer bums boys, the brylcream boys are in the bar" 😂 😂 

Always treated brilliantly and all the English boys i took to Tynie via the club still have a soft spot for us. 

45 year's ago and remember them day's, as if Sunday last week. Great Grandad playing dominoes,  as he'd hand me a few coins to play the 1 arm bandit, without fail it would drop it's load for me. 

Great granny

"he's rattling coins,  you had him gambling 🤣 "

Screenshot_20201002-024354_Gallery.jpg

Doctor FinnBarr
51 minutes ago, onwards and upwards said:

The same Scots Guards club my great Grandad who'd take me to on a Sunday? In 1975?  Upstairs,  one arm bandit and grandads playing domino's! 

Was the club elsewhere at that time? I know it was Ardmillan HSC in the early 80s (where the Guards club is now I mean).

5 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Was the club elsewhere at that time? I know it was Ardmillan HSC in the early 80s (where the Guards club is now I mean).

Was the Hearts club not next door?

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Was the Hearts club not next door?

Not 100% sure Dave, I used to attend Federation meetings there in the 80s and its got the same sort of layout. Can remember there was I think a Liberal club next to AHSC so maybe thats it. Sure someone will turn up to tell us.

Doctor FinnBarr
10 minutes ago, jamboron said:

The guards club was 3 doors along from Ardmillan 

Thanks mate, I knew it was the right block of buildings but just unsure as to where AHSC actually was, its an age thing.

On 16/10/2020 at 14:32, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

image.png.2343799495d76eb51e9ae77d6e4569e0.png

Was at the club store this morning, available on sale - £4.

I see poppy Scotland have these for lots of clubs

But not Celtic

Edited by Hesh

manaliveits105

Been a few clubs in that strip - The Bookies Club which may have become Ardmillan Hearts - The Drapers Club which had 2 full size snooker tables now theyouth  hostel - The liberal Club and The Scots Guards Club - you also had the Royal Scots Greys Club in West Maitland Street above the Chinese 

onwards and upwards
11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Been a few clubs in that strip - The Bookies Club which may have become Ardmillan Hearts - The Drapers Club which had 2 full size snooker tables now theyouth  hostel - The liberal Club and The Scots Guards Club - you also had the Royal Scots Greys Club in West Maitland Street above the Chinese 

The Royal Scots Grey Club,  West Maitland Street, is where my great Grandad had me, most Sunday's, winning the one arm bandit 😀 

Hearts Heritage

The Club will be making a public announcement about the revised Remembrance Service plans this week.

In light of continued public safety restrictions in Scotland, and the risk of COVID-19 spread, plans for this year’s ceremony have been changed with the intention of keeping our supporters, our local community and our staff and players safe. Additionally, the revised plans will reduce pressure on the Police, CEC Public Safety and Road Networks at this time. 

There will be no public service held at Haymarket this year and instead, we will be broadcasting a virtual ceremony and encouraging people to stay safe at home.  Details of how to watch the service will be shared via the Hearts website and social media channels in due course.

Edited by Hearts Heritage

20 minutes ago, Barack said:

Seems strange. Small scale gatherings for Remembrance will still be allowed here in Wales, despite the lockdown.

20201021_102833.jpg

We're not in Wales so nothing strange...that's the rules in Scotland being applied and correctly despite the occasion

Shanks said no

I know a lot of posters who will not have been near Haymarket during the pandemic. Although I work nearby I hadn’t walked by the clock for a few months. What a difference in the gap site, finally beginning to see the development progress. 
Really dislike the metal fencing colour scheme. 

E712452D-8E5F-4447-B9EE-5B3B09EDF385.jpeg

Can't really make it out from the picture, but please tell me its not green and white.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I know a lot of posters who will not have been near Haymarket during the pandemic. Although I work nearby I hadn’t walked by the clock for a few months. What a difference in the gap site, finally beginning to see the development progress. 
Really dislike the metal fencing colour scheme. 

E712452D-8E5F-4447-B9EE-5B3B09EDF385.jpeg

Point of order!

Remembrance Day has not been cancelled, just the live service.  You're in danger of getting a job as sub-editor on the Daily Record.  :Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Point of order!

Remembrance Day has not been cancelled, just the live service.  You're in danger of getting a job as sub-editor on the Daily Record.  :Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

Beat me to it.

The service at Haymarket has been cancelled.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Forza Cuore said:

Can't really make it out from the picture, but please tell me its not green and white.

Snapped off my phone into sunlight, yes you guessed correctly, green with a white stripe.

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Point of order!

this, big time 

With the greatest of respect to those who turn up each year, it's a fairly mature crowd. Not only the media, but all of our enemies and detractors would have a field day if anything went wrong.

Sensible decision unfortunately. 

Nucky Thompson

We could just turn up and call it a Maroon lives matter protest, or say we are guarding the Haymarket monument   :sarcasm:

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Snapped off my phone into sunlight, yes you guessed correctly, green with a white stripe.

Sickening. Where are they wee Hearts neds with the maroon paint when you need them?

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Remembrance Service at Haymarket (Pre-recorded service to be streamed)
  • 2 weeks later...
Shanks said no
On 21/10/2020 at 21:13, Forza Cuore said:

Sickening. Where are they wee Hearts neds with the maroon paint when you need them?

Went past again a couple of days ago

hay.jpg