Home security system help?

eduardo.j

Hi folks, I'm looking to get a sercuity alarm for my home and just wanted some opinions on decent companies to use. 

am I better buying the system myself and getting someone to install it or just use a company do to the whole package?

Just bought about a grands worth of Ring stuff off Amazon. Its all pretty much stick on and battery powered so you don't need to drill holes and attach wires. All links up through your phone as well. 24 hour monitoring as well. 

Although now that I think of it, not sure if Ring is available in the UK...

7 minutes ago, trotter said:

Just bought about a grands worth of Ring stuff off Amazon. Its all pretty much stick on and battery powered so you don't need to drill holes and attach wires. All links up through your phone as well. 24 hour monitoring as well. 

Yeah I've got the ring doorbell thing but wanted a proper alarm that would notify my phone if it goes off. Although I guess ring does the same thing. 

Ring doorbells are okay but not heard great things about their security cameras compared to other cheaper options.

EUFY Security cameras get brilliant reviews. Likely deals on them for Black Friday as they were on Prime Day sale the last 2 days. 2 outdoor cameras and their HUB which stores the recordings for £150.

38 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Ring doorbells are okay but not heard great things about their security cameras compared to other cheaper options.

EUFY Security cameras get brilliant reviews. Likely deals on them for Black Friday as they were on Prime Day sale the last 2 days. 2 outdoor cameras and their HUB which stores the recordings for £150.

That's pretty decent tbf, the camera is one thing but I genuinely want an alarm that sounds like banshee from xmen, enough to make their ears bleed hopefully 😂

59 minutes ago, eduardo.j said:

That's pretty decent tbf, the camera is one thing but I genuinely want an alarm that sounds like banshee from xmen, enough to make their ears bleed hopefully 😂

The EUFY cameras have an alarm. You can also speak through them live or have them play a pre recorded message once triggered. 

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The EUFY cameras have an alarm. You can also speak through them live or have them play a pre recorded message once triggered. 

I've always found that the unmistakable sound of a shotgun being cocked usually does the trick...

I got a Yale system from amazon.

Really easy to install and setup.

I can unlock it from my phone and get notifications when my kids unset the alarm.

It gives me 2 different settings- part alarm (for at night) and full alarm.

You can buy new sensors and things to add to the system too.

There are a few different ones by other makes that might be cheaper.

Prior to using Yale, I was paying £15 a month for a security system that didn't have the same benefits and I regret not binning them sooner.

16 hours ago, trotter said:

I have a ring alarm, it doesn’t have as much functionality as in the US but still decent, can set it with phone etc and it links it with doorbells and the camera I have.

one of the differences from US is that it’s not allowed to call the police in the UK like it does in the US, instead it calls a collection of nominated numbers. It’s 80 quid a year for the assisted monitoring and covers all devices and gives a 5% discount in the ring store.  One of the pain points is sometimes the doorbell doesn’t sent notifications to your phone instantly and there is a short delay, but this is not that often. 

for the price it’s decent and a lot easier to get than a Shotgun in the UK

2 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

I have a ring alarm, it doesn’t have as much functionality as in the US but still decent, can set it with phone etc and it links it with doorbells and the camera I have.

one of the differences from US is that it’s not allowed to call the police in the UK like it does in the US, instead it calls a collection of nominated numbers. It’s 80 quid a year for the assisted monitoring and covers all devices and gives a 5% discount in the ring store.  One of the pain points is sometimes the doorbell doesn’t sent notifications to your phone instantly and there is a short delay, but this is not that often. 

for the price it’s decent and a lot easier to get than a Shotgun in the UK

Yeah i think In the uk it's only £25 a year for your doorbell to be covered for theft and have them record the footage. I've got one already so I'll install that and keep looking for an alarm system. 

4 hours ago, eduardo.j said:

Yeah i think In the uk it's only £25 a year for your doorbell to be covered for theft and have them record the footage. I've got one already so I'll install that and keep looking for an alarm system. 

the alarm system does combine well with the other bits and additional sensors etc on ring are not really that expensive to buy.

its also has back up power and signal for 24hrs if your power or WiFi drops.