Current and past Edinburgh punk/ reggae/ ska bands with Hearts fans as members

VikingHeart

11 hours ago, 12XU said:

What about 

The Scars

The Freeze

The Valves 

Thanks 12XU, IMO must say that The Valves were the best. Just remember there ain't no surf in Portobello😀 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingHeart

• tedarmy

• Victorian

• crunchy frog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about Oi Polloi or Panic Attack? Do they have any Hearts fans in their ranks?

50 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

What about Oi Polloi or Panic Attack? Do they have any Hearts fans in their ranks?

the bassist in oi polloi is vermin.

kev from panic attack is a tim

23 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

the bassist in oi polloi is vermin.

kev from panic attack is a tim

Well at least they're in punk bands😀 

1 minute ago, VikingHeart said:

Well at least they're in punk bands😀 

kev`s a good guy. meet him all the time at gigs

great bands like down to kill, critikill and gluerash have vermin in them. one guy is in all three bands!

catie from daddy no is a jambo. (she`s in america now)

mikie from the gin goblins is too (sadly no longer with us)

knock off like to mention hearts at gigs. as do control even though ian is a st. mirren fan and the macc lads trolled glasgow about hearts at scotland calling :thumbsup:

Robert King from Scars is a hibby i am sure but he contacted me offering to play a benefit gig for FOH

Fraser from The Flowers is a big Hearts man

On 18/10/2020 at 12:29, the general said:

Robert King from Scars is a hibby i am sure but he contacted me offering to play a benefit gig for FOH

Fraser from The Flowers is a big Hearts man

Thanks General😀 The Flowers' song Criminal Waste reminds of a psychfunkpunkish cross between X and Dead Kennedys. I just read that their female vocalist set up DIY label Fast Product on this webpage https://punkgirldiaries.com/2018/06/24/hilary-morrison/.

On 17/10/2020 at 20:18, tedarmy said:

kev`s a good guy. meet him all the time at gigs

great bands like down to kill, critikill and gluerash have vermin in them. one guy is in all three bands!

catie from daddy no is a jambo. (she`s in america now)

mikie from the gin goblins is too (sadly no longer with us)

knock off like to mention hearts at gigs. as do control even though ian is a st. mirren fan and the macc lads trolled glasgow about hearts at scotland calling :thumbsup:

Jamie from DTK, Critikill etc is indeed a hibs fan but Sam guitarist in DTK is a huge Hearts fan who used to have a ST with me and my other mates 

1 hour ago, crunchy frog said:

Jamie from DTK, Critikill etc is indeed a hibs fan but Sam guitarist in DTK is a huge Hearts fan who used to have a ST with me and my other mates 

good to hear as i realy like dtk. :thumbsup:

jamie`s been in so many bands it`s hard to keep up :lol: 

The new West End
14 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks General😀 The Flowers' song Criminal Waste reminds of a psychfunkpunkish cross between X and Dead Kennedys. I just read that their female vocalist set up DIY label Fast Product on this webpage https://punkgirldiaries.com/2018/06/24/hilary-morrison/.

He is a good lad .. I remember him almost single handedly chasing NF recruitment guys away from our school gates 

He was recently on University Challenge as part of the Open University team

15 hours ago, tedarmy said:

Despite being vermin Jam is a good lad, but yeah he's had more bands than hot dinners!

On 20/10/2020 at 09:55, The new West End said:

He is a good lad .. I remember him almost single handedly chasing NF recruitment guys away from our school gates 

He was recently on University Challenge as part of the Open University team

Sounds like it by those merits😄

Edited by VikingHeart

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Punk fans might be interested to know the original line up of The Damned are doing a small UK tour in the summer.  

75 quid a ticket I hear. Eff that.

Just now, crunchy frog said:

Limited tickets and huge demand.  Sounds like a great idea to cash in on the merch,  which will be in big demand.

Shanks said no
14 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Is this genuine? 

Will just have to stick with the memories, 

The Odeon 81, being thrown out of Hiccups with Rat Scabies because he was signing punkettes chests and then the gig itself and smash it up...........

7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Is this genuine? 

Will just have to stick with the memories, 

The Odeon 81, being thrown out of Hiccups with Rat Scabies because he was signing punkettes chests and then the gig itself and smash it up...........

I love the damned as much as the next person but that's just taking the piss. This might be one of those tout sites but even still ..

Screenshot_20201021-183746_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shanks said no
Just now, crunchy frog said:

I love the damned as much as the next person but that's just taking the piss. This might be one of those tout sites but even still ..

Screenshot_20201021-183746_Samsung Internet.jpg

I checked Twitter and made a couple of enquiries with other aged punks, £75-£77 seems to be the range doing the rounds. Was seemingly £30 for the Royal Albert Hall 5 years ago without the original line up. 

I am swithering though..............

Supply/demand/price.  It will be a very limited audience so the price needs to be higher to make it worthwhile for the venues and promoter,  etc.   

Ridiculous price for a setlist that excludes almost all their best songs.  I have seen recent lineups do Damned Damned Damned in its entirely on a number of occasions.

I would rather pay £30-50 for the current line up with Monty and Paul Gray presumably with Rat remaining on drums as that position was vacated by Pinch.

Cairneyhill Jambo
On 17/10/2020 at 06:50, 12XU said:

What about 

The Scars

The Freeze

The Valves 

Can just about remember the Freeze. Formed by pupils at Linlithgow Academy. I started the same year they broke up. My elder brother was a fan. 

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Ridiculous price for a setlist that excludes almost all their best songs.  I have seen recent lineups do Damned Damned Damned in its entirely on a number of occasions.

I would rather pay £30-50 for the current line up with Monty and Paul Gray presumably with Rat remaining on drums as that position was vacated by Pinch.

Agree. The Damned play regularly in the Vanian and Sensible line-up for 25 quid a ticket and play all the tracks you would want to hear and more. Getting the other two back and whacking a bullseye on the ticket price is just greed. Maybe one of 'em isn't well and is looking for a last big payday.

5 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Agree. The Damned play regularly in the Vanian and Sensible line-up for 25 quid a ticket and play all the tracks you would want to hear and more. Getting the other two back and whacking a bullseye on the ticket price is just greed. Maybe one of 'em isn't well and is looking for a last big payday.

To me their best albums were Machine Gun Etiquette, Strawberries, and The Black Album with added selections of tracks from the other albums.

They are still and active band, with a mini-album released last week so this lineup will sound a bit tired.  They have previously said that they would be too limited to bring Brian back in the band since they have 40 years of material since he left.

If they wanted the big payday, why not play a bigger venue like the Hydro with another big name to pair up with on the bill to shift the tickets?

It's a side project.  Professionally record them and release a live album and DVD.  Brian James has no interest in the post-BJ material.  Sensible has no interest in being a bass player.  Brian James will want to play a lot of material from Music For Pleasure as the current band never play it.  He's been obsessed for years to find the original masters for it to produce it to a better sound.  The masters are long lost.  Can't see Scabies getting the drummer position full time.  

Edited by Victorian

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

Limited tickets and huge demand.  Sounds like a great idea to cash in on the merch,  which will be in big demand.

Think this'll be the model for most bands while covid restrictions are in place, bands and venues will still have the same costs but split amongst a much smaller attendance

58 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Think this'll be the model for most bands while covid restrictions are in place, bands and venues will still have the same costs but split amongst a much smaller attendance

I don't think Covid is a factor here.  If Covid is still around these gigs will need rescheduled as the venues aren't viable.

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't think Covid is a factor here.  If Covid is still around these gigs will need rescheduled as the venues aren't viable.

It is covid.  There's no "if" about it.  Venues will be nowhere near capacity numbers by then.  If any gigs are rescheduled it will be because of no audiences at all.   

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It is covid.  There's no "if" about it.  Venues will be nowhere near capacity numbers by then.  If any gigs are rescheduled it will be because of no audiences at all.   

The O2 Academy is standing in the stalls, and good luck enforcing social distancing and face masks in a venue when New Rose etc start up.  Personally, I think some promoters have their heads in the sand and are hoping Covid magically disappears by spring and everything switches back to "normal".

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The O2 Academy is standing in the stalls, and good luck enforcing social distancing and face masks in a venue when New Rose etc start up.  Personally, I think some promoters have their heads in the sand and are hoping Covid magically disappears by spring and everything switches back to "normal".

Could be.  All seems very speculative when the future is totally unknown.  

23 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Can just about remember the Freeze. Formed by pupils at Linlithgow Academy. I started the same year they broke up. My elder brother was a fan. 

Thanks for the info CJ, didn't know they were from Linlithgow. Too bad they broke up when you started otherwise they've might have played at the prom😄

On 19/10/2020 at 21:10, tedarmy said:

Do you know where I can get ahold of dtk on cd/vinyl?

4 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Do you know where I can get ahold of dtk on cd/vinyl?

there`s some copies on discogs. that would be the best place

4 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

there`s some copies on discogs. that would be the best place

Thanks for the advice, I'll check discogs😀

Regarding The Damned gig I love old punk just (almost) as much as those who were there the first time around but it would probably be cheaper to see some current band doing The Damned covers.

I remember seeing the UK Subs about ten years ago standing in line at the local train station in the morning hung over waiting for a hot dog and pop😁 Now that's punk😎 Claiming 75 pounds for a ticket is bankrobbery IMO.   

2 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Right, own up. Who bought a Damned ticket then?

Bluce.JPG

not me :teehee:

the price is very high but that wouldn`t have mattered if i`d really wanted to go. i still enjoy them live but i think they`re better with a time limit. that way they can blast through a set. if they`re on their own, they tend to mess around a lot.

scabies must be getting paid a lot to play as he`s slated the damned for years. he was interviewed at rebellion (last year i think) and he was very bitter towards them. the crowd actually turned against him with some of the stuff he was saying.

the gigs will probably be great but i`ll give them a miss, unless they end up playing rebellion :punk:

Edited by tedarmy

I found this band Steel Comb while browsing for bands from Edinburgh. Are they Jambos? 

20 hours ago, tedarmy said:

the price is very high but that wouldn`t have mattered if i`d really wanted to go. i still enjoy them live but i think they`re better with a time limit. that way they can blast through a set. if they`re on their own, they tend to mess around a lot.

scabies must be getting paid a lot to play as he`s slated the damned for years. he was interviewed at rebellion (last year i think) and he was very bitter towards them. the crowd actually turned against him with some of the stuff he was saying.

the gigs will probably be great but i`ll give them a miss, unless they end up playing rebellion :punk:

I didn't bother.  I prefer the current line up who have a far better range of material to play.

13 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

I found this band Steel Comb while browsing for bands from Edinburgh. Are they Jambos? 

Danny and chicken used to be in steel comb. If mark still drums he's a Jambo. Don't know who the others are. 

Thanks once more tedarmy😀 Seems like most skins in Edinburgh are Jambos and that it's more 50/50 Jambos or hibees among the punks or am I Wrong? I feel that Steel Comb has a more experimental mod/ska beat going on in their tune "blaming me" which is pretty rude boy😎. Do you know if SC is still around or have they stopped playing since two members have gone on to play in Brassknuckle? 

On 26/10/2020 at 13:23, tedarmy said:

It's the other way around.  The other originals still in the band say he tried to con them out of royalties,  etc.  They cut off contact with him.  Sensible refuses to play 'Stab Yor Back' live because Scabies wrote it and James allowed in on the 1st album to give him some publishing money.  Vanian cut him off over a broken agreement regarding the release of an album.  Tried to have his vocals taken off it.  To be honest,  Scabies is a bit of an arsehole and the other two aren't far behind him.  A hell of a lot of arsehollery is documented in the books.

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks once more tedarmy😀 Seems like most skins in Edinburgh are Jambos and that it's more 50/50 Jambos or hibees among the punks or am I Wrong? I feel that Steel Comb has a more experimental mod/ska beat going on in their tune "blaming me" which is pretty rude boy😎. Do you know if SC is still around or have they stopped playing since two members have gone on to play in Brassknuckle? 

they were playing as a three piece for a while. i don`t know if theyre still going or not.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's the other way around.  The other originals still in the band say he tried to con them out of royalties,  etc.  They cut off contact with him.  Sensible refuses to play 'Stab Yor Back' live because Scabies wrote it and James allowed in on the 1st album to give him some publishing money.  Vanian cut him off over a broken agreement regarding the release of an album.  Tried to have his vocals taken off it.  To be honest,  Scabies is a bit of an arsehole and the other two aren't far behind him.  A hell of a lot of arsehollery is documented in the books.

aye, i was just going by how bitter he sounded at the interview. 

I know there's some support for the Famous in Belfast. Any jambos from bands such as Runnin Riot, Aggressors BC or Takers and Users? Other bands?

13 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

I know there's some support for the Famous in Belfast. Any jambos from bands such as Runnin Riot, Aggressors BC or Takers and Users? Other bands?

I think you might be stretching it a bit now, mate.

Colin McQ (Runnin Riot) was Rangers and Linfield daft. I used to stay at his gaff at Donegal Pass sometimes, he was always quietly approving of my Hearts wristband. 

Edited by crunchy frog

20 hours ago, Victorian said:

Sensible is a bit of an arsehole on stage but off stage he is one of the nicest guys you can meet.  He waited behind after a gig at the liquid rooms and was out chatting to fans on Victoria Street for a good 20 mins, getting photos, signing stuff etc.  Dave on the other hand wasn't chuffed when I asked for his autograph.  I also met Monty who was so humble - he couldn't believe anyone wanted his autograph!  I had just bought the So Who's Paranoid CD from the Merch stand before the gig - it had only recently been released.

44 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sensible is a bit of an arsehole on stage but off stage he is one of the nicest guys you can meet.  He waited behind after a gig at the liquid rooms and was out chatting to fans on Victoria Street for a good 20 mins, getting photos, signing stuff etc.  Dave on the other hand wasn't chuffed when I asked for his autograph.  I also met Monty who was so humble - he couldn't believe anyone wanted his autograph!  I had just bought the So Who's Paranoid CD from the Merch stand before the gig - it had only recently been released.

Met him in the Liquid Rooms.  He was nice enough.  Vanian has always been a bit of a recluse.  Don't think he likes people.  

Edited by Victorian

9 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

I think you might be stretching it a bit now, mate.

Colin McQ (Runnin Riot) was Rangers and Linfield daft. I used to stay at his gaff at Donegal Pass sometimes, he was always quietly approving of my Hearts wristband. 

Well it was worth a try😉 I based this assumption on some threads about Hearts fans being welcome in certains areas of Belfast and that some might consider us as their first/second team especially among the Glentoran supporters.  Nice to know that you knew Collin McQuillan, he seemed like a very decent down to earth man who managed to inspire many people through his music. Did you meet any Jambo punks/skins over there at all? Or were they all supporting their local team or Rangers/Celtic? 

Edited by VikingHeart
Being a viking

I'm in a covers band and I'm a Jambo :-). Our former drummer was too. He played with a good few punk bands back in the day

That's cool JH the more Jambos the better😀 Are you in an Edinburgh based outfit? What bands/songs do you cover? 

To all the rude gals and boys following this thread I just read on the Bombskare website that Skalloween 2020 was cancelled. Hopefully they can turn it into a digital event as it will a while until it's safe to play/ attend gigs again. I saw an online show the other day (nonpunk/oi) and thought that these shows had gotten better since before the whole Covid19 situation started.     

37 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

That's cool JH the more Jambos the better😀 Are you in an Edinburgh based outfit? What bands/songs do you cover? 

To all the rude gals and boys following this thread I just read on the Bombskare website that Skalloween 2020 was cancelled. Hopefully they can turn it into a digital event as it will a while until it's safe to play/ attend gigs again. I saw an online show the other day (nonpunk/oi) and thought that these shows had gotten better since before the whole Covid19 situation started.     

Just saw that they're gonna upload their full show at 9pm to make it a Skalloween after all😁 Will be a nice addition to the Hearts SC semi victory😎