Current and past Edinburgh punk/ reggae/ ska bands with Hearts fans as members

VikingHeart

Starting a thread on this topic as it would nice to get some recommandations on currents bands that also follow the famous. I've understood from hanging around the forum that Wattie from the Exploited is a PHM. Moreover I was wondering if Brassknuckle happens to be Jambos as well? Bakers Dozen might be a strong candidate too or am I wrong? Any other punk/oi or ska/ reggae bands?    

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingHeart

• tedarmy

• Victorian

• crunchy frog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scott herbertson

I guess my brother's band were semi-Punk back in the day

Two current regulars at Tynecastle and posters on here in the band, can be seen in the photos used in this video (never miss a chance to post a video)

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, VikingHeart said:

Starting a thread on this topic as it would nice to get some recommandations on currents bands that also follow the famous. I've understood from hanging around the forum that Wattie from the Exploited is a PHM. Moreover I was wondering if Brassknuckle happens to be Jambos as well? Bakers Dozen might be a strong candidate too or am I wrong? Any other punk/oi or ska/ reggae bands?    

Wattie is a pretty regular contributor on JKB. Don’t know about the others you mentioned 

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Two current regulars at Tynecastle and posters on here in the band, can be seen in the photos used in this video (never miss a chance to post a video)

Nick has little interest in football in my experience. 😄

Салатные палочки
7 hours ago, graygo said:

Gordie?

Probably some foreign neo-nazi that posted it and thinks thats what they're saying. 

Jock from GBH is a Jambo these days. Don't think he really was growing up, and not sure how regularly he follows us, but he defo is.

Those Androids were their own brand of semi punk (crossover new wave?) thats for sure. Thanks Scott Herbertson.

17 hours ago, tedarmy said:

john and danny from brassknuckle are hearts fans.

bakers dozen have a song called marching through gorgie. 

That's cool to know that two members of Brassknuckle are Hearts fans as their last record was quite catchy. Do you know if they have any new material coming out soon? I knew Bakers Dozen had that song which made me think that they followed Edinburgh's finest.

17 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think most bands have some members that are not that interested in football as music is the main focus.

8 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Sad Society, Happy Spastics, The Begrudgers

Cracking selection you mentioned there. I think the best song title was "where are all  the old man bars?" Haha😄  Please add more suggestions if any comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Jibbers said:

I'm sure at least one of the guys from Bombskare is a Jambo.

They're really good so that's super. I think of them as the Scottish equivalent of the New Yorkers the Slackers. 

36 minutes ago, Locky said:

Jock from GBH is a Jambo these days. Don't think he really was growing up, and not sure how regularly he follows us, but he defo is.

I think at least vocalist Colin is a big Villa man so it could be that he follows them as well.

31 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

I think at least vocalist Colin is a big Villa man so it could be that he follows them as well.

You may well be right on that one. Never had him down as a big football fan in general tbh.

28 minutes ago, Locky said:

You may well be right on that one. Never had him down as a big football fan in general tbh.

Unfortunatly I don't remember where I got this from. Nevertheless GBH is still a great band both live and on record. Jock has been with GBH since 1979 which is incredible. Do you know if he's orginally from Edinburgh? What is his connection to Hearts? 

scott herbertson
19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Indeed - Mike's a season ticket holder though

Kenny Dalgleish was a hibby but his brother Steven,  is a regular (might be season ticket holder, not sure)

4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Indeed - Mike's a season ticket holder though

Kenny Dalgleish was a hibby but his brother Steven,  is a regular (might be season ticket holder, not sure)

👍

i’ve played with both Nick and Dave Connolly, but not at the same time. 😄

3 hours ago, Locky said:

i remember an interview where he said he was a hearts fan and said he had no choice as he went to the school next door. :thumbsup:

Edited by tedarmy

2 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

That's cool to know that two members of Brassknuckle are Hearts fans as their last record was quite catchy. Do you know if they have any new material coming out soon? I knew Bakers Dozen had that song which made me think that they followed Edinburgh's finest.

they said they were working on new stuff before lockdown but they didn`t play together again till about two weeks ago. 

bakers dozen had a new album out recently. the cd came with a documentery dvd.

Unfortunatly I don't remember where I got this from. Nevertheless GBH is still a great band both live and on record. Jock has been with GBH since 1979 which is incredible. Do you know if he's orginally from Edinburgh? What is his connection to Hearts? 

couldn`t find multi quote to reply to you and locky at the same time.

jock said in an interview that he was a hearts fan and had no choice as he went to school next door to tynecastle

50 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Does Dave Paton from Pilot count?

Don't think so unfortunatly as he's (according to google) a prog rocker and not a punk rocker (although many punk bands seem to be more progressive than many prog bands) . However the more Jambos the better so thanks anyways PTP. 😀

51 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

i remember an interview where he said he was a hearts fan and said he had no choice as he went to the school next door. :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

jock said in an interview that he was a hearts fan and had no choice as he went to school next door to tynecastle

That's brilliant info tedarmy. Have to mention that if I ever to talk to him pre/post a show sometime.

46 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

they said they were working on new stuff before lockdown but they didn`t play together again till about two weeks ago. 

bakers dozen had a new album out recently. the cd came with a documentery dvd.

I remember reading somewhere (could've been dutch RR) that they were in the making of some new material but then all of a sudden I heard nothing. It's therefore good to hear that they're up and running although I understand they have to take precautions because of the current Covid 19 situation. 

I didn't know that Bakers Dozen just released some new material, thanks for the tip tedarmy.   

3 minutes ago, benny said:

Pretty sure Paul Haig is a Jambo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Haig

That was some really quirky stuff. I just listened to some samples from the "The Only Fun in Town" Album from 1981 which with it's so called terrible "budget" (to me almost always brilliant) production made it quite interesting despite not exactly qualifing as boot boy anthems. I have to admit I don't like most new wave and frown when I hear the name post punk (as punk's not deid yet right?)" but sometimes they get it right enough as in this case.  Thanks benny😀  

12 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

11 hours ago, tedarmy said:

My Auntie was Jock's sister. Not my auntie by blood though, she sort of married into my family but continued to be a part of it after my Uncle's passing. My Auntie was originally from down Prestonpans, but from what I recall of their childhoods, they had a hard life and I think were seperated through most of life. My Auntie herself passed away when I was only 17, so my knowledge of all this sadly isn't better.

She lost all contact with Jock though for many years in adult life and only re-united maybe 2-3 years before she passed. By that point, me and my Dad had turned my Auntie into a proper wee Jambo and got her to a lot of games as a reason to get her out the house and keep her active when she was ill. Jock brought his daughter Bridget (sp) up to meet my Auntie too round this time. She lived in America and sadly even passed away herself barely a month or 2 before my Auntie did, so 2011 was definitely a tough year for Jock. I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Bridget, but there's a photo of Bridget and my Auntie stood in the living room watching a derby in Hearts tops.

I think Jock is more of a Jambo now as a way of sort of keeping my Auntie's memory alive. I've only met him a handful of times though, and like I said he's not blood family so I don't really know much more than this. Apologies for the long history lesson. If you're both into the Edinburgh punk scene, you may well be familiar with the Punk For Pam benefit gigs that have become an annual thing?

1 hour ago, Locky said:

My Auntie was Jock's sister. Not my auntie by blood though, she sort of married into my family but continued to be a part of it after my Uncle's passing. My Auntie was originally from down Prestonpans, but from what I recall of their childhoods, they had a hard life and I think were seperated through most of life. My Auntie herself passed away when I was only 17, so my knowledge of all this sadly isn't better.

She lost all contact with Jock though for many years in adult life and only re-united maybe 2-3 years before she passed. By that point, me and my Dad had turned my Auntie into a proper wee Jambo and got her to a lot of games as a reason to get her out the house and keep her active when she was ill. Jock brought his daughter Bridget (sp) up to meet my Auntie too round this time. She lived in America and sadly even passed away herself barely a month or 2 before my Auntie did, so 2011 was definitely a tough year for Jock. I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Bridget, but there's a photo of Bridget and my Auntie stood in the living room watching a derby in Hearts tops.

I think Jock is more of a Jambo now as a way of sort of keeping my Auntie's memory alive. I've only met him a handful of times though, and like I said he's not blood family so I don't really know much more than this. Apologies for the long history lesson. If you're both into the Edinburgh punk scene, you may well be familiar with the Punk For Pam benefit gigs that have become an annual thing?

been to a few P4P gigs over the years, got quite a few mates in bands that have played (sadly most of them support the wrong team)

1 hour ago, Locky said:

good story locky :thumbsup:

jock`s profile pic on his facebook is a pic of his sister and daughter in hearts tops-might be the same one? (wee crocodile in the corner)

i`ve been going to the punk for pam gigs for a few years now. great gigs for a great cause:punk:

54 minutes ago, Ribble said:

been to a few P4P gigs over the years, got quite a few mates in bands that have played (sadly most of them support the wrong team)

19 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

good story locky :thumbsup:

jock`s profile pic on his facebook is a pic of his sister and daughter in hearts tops-might be the same one? (wee crocodile in the corner)

i`ve been going to the punk for pam gigs for a few years now. great gigs for a great cause:punk:

That is indeed the one mate. Not om Facebook as much these days but I knew it was on his page somewhere.

I've been to a couple of the punk for Pam's myself, so we may have crossed paths. I'm not really a punk at all to be honest, but my Dad is quite well known in the Edinburgh punk scene. An old Drylaw Jambo too.

51 minutes ago, Locky said:

That is indeed the one mate. Not om Facebook as much these days but I knew it was on his page somewhere.

I've been to a couple of the punk for Pam's myself, so we may have crossed paths. I'm not really a punk at all to be honest, but my Dad is quite well known in the Edinburgh punk scene. An old Drylaw Jambo too.

Might well have crossed paths but like yourself i'm not really a punk either, more a metalhead tbh

4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Might well have crossed paths but like yourself i'm not really a punk either, more a metalhead tbh

I just went with my dad to contribute the money, and see some people more than anything else. Was probably the most under dressed person there. :lol:

5 hours ago, Locky said:

Thanks for the good read Locky.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

I heard about those shows but never gotten the chance to go. From clips on youtube it looks like Edinburgh has a pretty healthy Punk/alternative scene.

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Here in Norway most punks/skins and (black)metalheads get along just fine.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

I just went with my dad to contribute the money, and see some people more than anything else. Was probably the most under dressed person there. :lol:

Sounds good, I never heard of a punk show that had a dress code anyways😀

Does anyone here know if any of the members of Cuttin' Edge are Jambos? According to the Rebellion Records in Holland they're based in Edinburgh (but not from Edinburgh? and are described as a mix between Exploited and Motorhead. What do you think about them?

47 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

(black)metalheads get along just fine

unless you`re in mayhem :lol:

41 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Does anyone here know if any of the members of Cuttin' Edge are Jambos? According to the Rebellion Records in Holland they're based in Edinburgh (but not from Edinburgh? and are described as a mix between Exploited and Motorhead. What do you think about them?

i like them-seen them  live a few times and have their album. roddy is from glasgow and is a hun i think. luigi plays in brassknuckle and i don`t know if he likes foootball. i don`t know the other two guys.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

i think i remember you saying nae bother was your dad (could be wrong). i don`t know him but seen him at gigs in the past

31 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

i like them-seen them  live a few times and have their album. roddy is from glasgow and is a hun i think. luigi plays in brassknuckle and i don`t know if he likes foootball. i don`t know the other two guys.

i think i remember you saying nae bother was your dad (could be wrong). i don`t know him but seen him at gigs in the past

The very man mate! Couldn't mind if I'd said before.

16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It would be magic if he could. 🤪

😎😎

Especially If it was in January.

1 hour ago, tedarmy said:

There is a new Norwegian black metal documentary series out now that's actually pretty good for being a mainstream take on a musical subculture. The original Mayhem vocalist Messiah (now Billy) is in a punk band called Cockroach Clan which made their record debut in 1995. In the first episode of this documentary he's interviewed wearing an The Opressed hoodie.

Looks like I better buy the Cuttin' Edge record if they're decent live and I also think it wouldn't hurt to support the Edinburgh punk/ska scene. I guess Roddy is the vocalist as I found his accent to be way different to that of Exploited/ Brassknuckle and what I heard in Edinburgh. in that case he's a hun I hope that the famous are his bigger team😉 Luigi sounds Italian to me, I can't stand the southern european style of football but I have an impression that most people are crazy about football down there.

What are some good bar suggestions if I want to go out and see a punk/ ska show, met some local punks/skins and have some good beers?  I've been to Bannerman's but would also appreciate other recommendations for my next visit to the auld reekie.

Please keep on mentioning bands (preferrably jambo bands) too😀

There is a new Norwegian black metal documentary series out now that's actually pretty good for being a mainstream take on a musical subculture. The original Mayhem vocalist Messiah (now Billy) is in a punk band called Cockroach Clan which made their record debut in 1995. In the first episode of this documentary he's interviewed wearing an The Opressed hoodie.

Looks like I better buy the Cuttin' Edge record if they're decent live and I also think it wouldn't hurt to support the Edinburgh punk/ska scene. I guess Roddy is the vocalist as I found his accent to be way different to that of Exploited/ Brassknuckle and what I heard in Edinburgh. in that case he's a hun I hope that the famous are his bigger team😉 Luigi sounds Italian to me, I can't stand the southern european style of football but I have an impression that most people are crazy about football down there.

What are some good bar suggestions if I want to go out and see a punk/ ska show, met some local punks/skins and have some good beers?  I've been to Bannerman's but would also appreciate other recommendations for my next visit to the auld reekie.

Please keep on mentioning bands (preferrably jambo bands) too😀

bannermans is the best place for gigs. la belle angele and the liquid rooms are great for the bigger bands. the banshee is also great for smaller bands.

4 hours ago, tedarmy said:

bannermans is the best place for gigs. la belle angele and the liquid rooms are great for the bigger bands. the banshee is also great for smaller bands.

Thanks for the insight about the local music scene. I'll check out as many as possible of these the next time I'm in Edinburgh😀

On 14/10/2020 at 23:32, scott herbertson said:

That's interesting that radio Forth promoted local bands in a John peel manner. It's a big difference to the pap that they pump out now. 

Couple of good tunes too. I don't remember the andriods so a belated 👍👏👏 from me 

10 hours ago, 12XU said:

What about 

The Scars

The Freeze

The Valves 

Rab from The Scars is definitely a Hibby, he's my cousin.