Throw-ins

HamishMcGonagall

HamishMcGonagall

Something that really gets on my nerves is when we get a throw-in midway inside the opponents half yet within a touch or two, we're away back to our own keeper. Got me wondering if kick-ins should be allowed... then I thought maybe I was being daft and it's almost like bringing playground rules into professional football.

But then today, I read an interview with Arsene Wenger who is also a supporter of this idea (albeit only when it's a throw-in in your own half).

What do people think? 

(Wenger also thinks that you should be allowed multiple touches at a free kick so that a player fouled can quickly play the ball and dribble with it himself)

A_A wehatethehibs

I reckon keep it as throw ins but get rid of foul throws. So throw it any way you want. Same way a goalkeeper can, throw it miles up the pitch overarm 

Really should be 5s rules. Ball is placed on the line and kicked in. Stop folk stealing as manuy yards, and why on earth can you not be Offside from a throw?

If you want to make it less use than a corner ban it going directly into the box. 

Edited by Bunny Munro

28 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve noticed in the foreign games I’ve been watching recently that foul throws are pretty much ignored now. 

Pretty much ignored here as well imo. The good shy is a lost art. 

The Treasurer

I think if our players moved into a position to receive the ball from a throw in would help.

Far too often there is no-ne making a run or trying to find space when we get a throw.

18 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Really should be 5s rules. Ball is placed on the line and kicked in. Stop folk stealing as manuy yards, and why on earth can you not be Offside from a throw?

If you want to make it less use than a corner ban it going directly into the box. 

I love that rule tbh

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

I think if our players moved into a position to receive the ball from a throw in would help.

Far too often there is no-ne making a run or trying to find space when we get a throw.

Have to agree. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

This, Our throw ins are shocking and have been for ages.. better just throwing it long into the box.. so often we try to be cute and get forced backwards or just lose it

Edited by kingantti1874

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Something that really gets on my nerves is when we get a throw-in midway inside the opponents half yet within a touch or two, we're away back to our own keeper. Got me wondering if kick-ins should be allowed... then I thought maybe I was being daft and it's almost like bringing playground rules into professional football.

But then today, I read an interview with Arsene Wenger who is also a supporter of this idea (albeit only when it's a throw-in in your own half).

What do people think? 

(Wenger also thinks that you should be allowed multiple touches at a free kick so that a player fouled can quickly play the ball and dribble with it himself)

Wenger also wants corners that go out of play to be allowed to carry on ffs 🙈.
We would just pass it back instead.

This guy should be asked to come and give a session or two and the principles worked on. For a manager who had an alleged good throw on him it would make sense to pass this on. 
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/23/liverpool-throw-in-coach-thomas-gronnemark-klopp

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Indeed, Brandon had to shout at Roberts last night to actually look at him and receive the throw. 

Our throw ins yesterday were very frustrating we lost possession on quite a few occasions direct from them. 

Players need to move and show for the ball aswell mind. 

I said this on another thread, but throw-ins in general annoy me, especially when a player makes no effort to keep the ball in, and takes the throw instead.  We inevitably then hump it in the general direction of a player being marked, we lose possession, and then have to start again.

I would much rather we tried to keep it in at all costs in the opponents half, and keep the attacking move going, instead of giving the other team a 10 second break to get back into position.  If we do get a throw in, someone needs to come and make themselves available.  Throw it toward our own half if we have to, and switch the play to the far side, getting a chance to build again.

I hate how long it takes us to take a throw in, and I hate when we don't have anyone making themselves available.  Keep the ball, and build from the back if we have to, but don't just steal 5 yards, launch it forward and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

What do people think? 

If they had to kick it instead of throw would they not still move the ball backwards?

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Pretty much ignored here as well imo. The good shy is a lost art. 

‘SHY’ showing your age a bit here Dave 😃 havent heard it called a shy since i was a young lad, (while ago).

1 hour ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

What do people think? 

Good suggestions, imo.

5 minutes ago, jdl2002 said:

‘SHY’ showing your age a bit here Dave 😃 havent heard it called a shy since i was a young lad, (while ago).

I must be old too.  A 'shy' was common usage, as was the 'bye line', followed by a bye kick.

And nobody shouted "Hand ball", it was just plain "Foul".

Replacing throw in with a kick would be farcical in my opinion. Throw ins would suddenly become as good as a corner of far enough up the pitch so kicking the ball off full backs would become a tactic. Like the way players down south seem to be aiming for defenders arms in some situations. Unless something was implemented like the kick needs to along the ground, even more farcical. 
Maybe a time limit on how long you have to take a throw? 

18 minutes ago, jdl2002 said:

That and bye kick were the terms used when I was growing up. I think they were maybe only used in Scotland.  😄

Just now, davemclaren said:

That and bye kick were the terms used when I was growing up. I think they were maybe only used in Scotland.  😄

Mikey Stewart is stubbornly (not surprising) sticking the using bye kick. I for one appreciate that. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Mikey Stewart is stubbornly (not surprising) sticking the using bye kick. I for one appreciate that. 

I use the terms mainly to annoy younger people. That’s one of the few pleasures of getting old. 

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I use the terms mainly to annoy younger people. That’s one of the few pleasures of getting old. 

:wheelchair:

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Aye, and a shy or bye kick was a lot harder with a wet fillie. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Aye, and a shy or bye kick was a lot harder with a wet fillie. 

No half, and heedin' the ba' with they laces could be a sare yin.

Just now, Maple Leaf said:

No half, and heedin' the ba' with they laces could be a sare yin.

Bloody youngsters. Don’t know how easy they’ve got it. 

Gordon Ramsay

Said this on another thread but our throws ins have been crap for a long time. Always takes ages for someone to show for it and by the time they do the opposition has got its shape set. Need to be smarter. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

👍

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve noticed in the foreign games I’ve been watching recently that foul throws are pretty much ignored now. 

Wish it was the same in boys football, sometimes if you get a jobsworth ref in my boy's games you can end up with over 10 in a single game. Doesn't help when I'm already going tonto after about 3 or 4 lol.

16 minutes ago, inspector said:

Watch Andy Robertson tonight. Every throw-in is a foul 'shy'

THe law was massively simplified a few years back.  Al its says now is

Procedure

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

• stand facing the field of play
  • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
  • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play

So really, the "ugly" throwins etc are no longer technically wrong. As long as it comes from behind the head and over, lets carry on.

YA bunch of old gits 🤣

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Liverpool work hard on them,  interesting when they played Leeds, just how alert Leeds were to that and caused Liverpool bother as a consequence 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, inspector said:

Watch Andy Robertson tonight. Every throw-in is a foul 'shy'

Suspended  :lol:

12 minutes ago, poggs said:

THe law was massively simplified a few years back.  Al its says now is

Procedure

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

• stand facing the field of play
  • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
  • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play

So really, the "ugly" throwins etc are no longer technically wrong. As long as it comes from behind the head and over, lets carry on.

YA bunch of old gits 🤣

😳😎

• 1 year later...
Unknown user
21 minutes ago, kila said:

Automated VAR offside sounds interesting

It does, it also makes me wonder how long we'll need linesmen for.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It does, it also makes me wonder how long we'll need linesmen for.

Heading the same way as line judges in tennis.

They might keep them for players to vent at like the 4th official for managers

I like the throw in rules as they are. It's a different element to the game and kick ins are not the answer for me.

Stealing loads of yards from where the ball went out ticks me off. Refs allow players to bend that rule far too much particularly when it's your ball but very close to tour own goal line. And yes, players getting the ball only to hand it off to other players is blatant time wasting.

I loved throw ins as I was the Robbie Neilson of my youth football team. My scoliosis meant I had to wear a back brace the vast majority of my youth. Not being able to bend properly in it and the lots of swimming I did meant I was quite strong in the shoulders and even as a 10 year old I could almost hit the penalty spot from a throw in. I have so many fond memories of being the dedicated throw in player...the first one when the other team didnt realise how far I could throw was always the best feeling when they got caught out.

(Screen fades out with camera holding on my face, smiling as I gaze into the distance recalling fond memories)

12 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I like the throw in rules as they are. It's a different element to the game and kick ins are not the answer for me.

Stealing loads of yards from where the ball went out ticks me off. Refs allow players to bend that rule far too much particularly when it's your ball but very close to tour own goal line. And yes, players getting the ball only to hand it off to other players is blatant time wasting.

I loved throw ins as I was the Robbie Neilson of my youth football team. My scoliosis meant I had to wear a back brace the vast majority of my youth. Not being able to bend properly in it and the lots of swimming I did meant I was quite strong in the shoulders and even as a 10 year old I could almost hit the penalty spot from a throw in. I have so many fond memories of being the dedicated throw in player...the first one when the other team didnt realise how far I could throw was always the best feeling when they got caught out.

(Screen fades out with camera holding on my face, smiling as I gaze into the distance recalling fond memories)

Totally agree with your point about “stealing yards”. 
I reckon that should be immediately punished by awarding the throw to the other team.

On 14/10/2020 at 14:59, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I reckon keep it as throw ins but get rid of foul throws. So throw it any way you want. Same way a goalkeeper can, throw it miles up the pitch overarm 

That would be comedy gold watching that :lol:

On 15/10/2020 at 04:18, tian447 said:

I said this on another thread, but throw-ins in general annoy me, especially when a player makes no effort to keep the ball in, and takes the throw instead.  We inevitably then hump it in the general direction of a player being marked, we lose possession, and then have to start again.

I would much rather we tried to keep it in at all costs in the opponents half, and keep the attacking move going, instead of giving the other team a 10 second break to get back into position.  If we do get a throw in, someone needs to come and make themselves available.  Throw it toward our own half if we have to, and switch the play to the far side, getting a chance to build again.

I hate how long it takes us to take a throw in, and I hate when we don't have anyone making themselves available.  Keep the ball, and build from the back if we have to, but don't just steal 5 yards, launch it forward and hope for the best.

Couldn't agree more with your final paragraph.  I had a coach roughly a century ago who drummed into us that throw were a real attacking weapon but only if you took them quickly.  It worked for us.

Did my heid in during that debacle in Ireland thst scotland took an age with virtually every throw in so it's not just Hearts.

If i was Neilson I would have them practicing throw in moves.

Well done to the OP for raiding this.

Tommy Brown

Wenger coplaining more of time-wasting.

Recent thread about clock stopping. This would eradiicate a large percentage of time-wasting.

Hagar the Horrible

I enjoy being pedantic, but for clarity the plural of 'Throw-in' is throws-in  NOT throw-ins  that aside why do we have to be so negative over them, its always a throw back  rather a throw-in and our players stand static when they are taken

Arsene Wenger wants kick-ins  the BBC should know better its Kicks-in and in our case kicks-back to CG

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Wenger coplaining more of time-wasting.

Recent thread about clock stopping. This would eradiicate a large percentage of time-wasting.

This should definitely be implemented. 

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I enjoy being pedantic, but for clarity the plural of 'Throw-in' is throws-in  NOT throw-ins  that aside why do we have to be so negative over them, its always a throw back  rather a throw-in and our players stand static when they are taken

Arsene Wenger wants kick-ins  the BBC should know better its Kicks-in and in our case kicks-back to CG

It's not being pedantic if you're right, and you're right in this case.  I get around the issue by calling them shies, which is what they were when I was young. :tongue:

But a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and our shies stink.  Our players look completely clueless every time.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's not being pedantic if you're right, and you're right in this case.  I get around the issue by calling them shies, which is what they were when I was young. :tongue:

But a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and our shies stink.  Our players look completely clueless every time.

A shy and a bye kick.

24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

A shy and a bye kick.

Correct on both counts.  The good old days.