***The Official Hearts v Dundee (We're back) Thread***

jambonian

First time on after the game last night.

Played a lot more like the Hearts of old. Great result but still a few things to concern us from what I saw. The second half was almost a non-event and Dundee played some decent stuff for a spell. Wasn't comfortable when they pulled it back to 4-2 and in fact, they maybe should've scored a couple more if it wasn't for poor finishing. Still looks like a centre-half is needed. The defensive midfield area just let Charlie Adam stroll through them for his goal. Against better teams later on in the Cup competitions this needs to be rectified or we'll suffer the consequence which could affect players confidence. Their manager recognised that they needed to change their system at halftime and it could've cost us. I was screaming at the tv for Neilson to make a sub and match them up even before they pulled a second goal back. Thankfully it all worked out alright in the end but had they scored another it would've been a pretty uncomfortable watch for the rest of the game. Positives...great free kick from Kingsley and his goal at the end wasn't half bad either! Was a good to see the goals spread throughout the team and the width proved important for the midfield to support the forwards.  Halliday's goal will do his confidence no harm at all. Be interesting to see how we line up at Arbroath next Friday but it'll be a different game against a team who will stay defensive throughout the game.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• sadj

• Smith's right boot

• neilnunb

2 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

If we do that then he will be within his rights to insist we pay it out in full. He might agree to an early ‘Mutual agreement’ release where we pay part of it, but he isn’t obliged to. Depends on how much he wants to play football.

If we’re going to have to pay him anyway then we may as well keep him around in case of injuries. The best solution would be for him to go out on loan to someone who will pay his wage (like Lee did) but I don’t see there being a big queue of suitors. I still wonder how he played for Cardiff. Didn’t the fans there actually think he was OK?

I thought we had already terminated his contract by mutual agreement and that he is back in France.  Obviously wrong?

Big Slim Stylee
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm not being arrogant but I genuinely feel that there will be no threats to us on the field of play. 

We will blow most teams to smithereens and beat everyone else relatively comfortably. 

We are on a mission with the events of the summer as the best motivation we could ever have after what was done to us.

Robbie plays it down publicly but you can bet your bottom dollar it will be stressed before every game to the squad. 

I also think he has the perfect backroom team. 

Lets be honest, nobody will get within sniffing distance of us. Nor should they.

2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Damour is clearly surplus to requirements. Best just to terminate his contract..

The perils of dishing out 4 year deals to players who have the wrong attitiude. I am sure Robbie would have tried to move him on but the fact he still has three years left on his contract is no doubt why he is still with us.

We just need to hope that Robbie keeps trying to move him on and maybe some desperate club will take him in January.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Just watched the goals again and great to see the team spirit in the squad. We've not had that in the last couple of years. 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Just watched the goals again and great to see the team spirit in the squad and playing for each other. 

Not had that in 2 or 3 years. 

FinnBarr Saunders

Its great to see how much it means to the players, Ginnelly running to the subs as well. At a guess him, Roberts, Kingsley "get" our club already. Wait til we can get a full stadium again.

otterjohn

Thanks for posting that Cairneyhill,I hadn't seen the goals from that angle.

Yes its great to see that spirit back.The only thing I'd add is its easy to have team spirit when your winning .there will be some games we will have to try and dig out a win ,then we will see properly what the spirits like.  Mind you when Dundee got back in the game a couple of times it never looked like we would fold

LarrysRightFoot

I understand people are concerned about the centre half position but Halkett and Popescu are still a new partnership - in fact only Smith and Halkett out of the back 5 have any real playing relationship. 

Anyway my point Is I don’t think the problem is the centre halves - it’s having Lee and Irving in front of them - neither are holding/defensive midfielders. Put Haring or Halliday or both in front of them and they will have far more protection.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot
34 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I understand people are concerned about the centre half position but Halkett and Popescu are still a new partnership - in fact only Smith and Halkett out of the back 5 have any real playing relationship. 

Anyway my point Is I don’t think the problem is the centre halves - it’s having Lee and Irving in front of them - neither are holding/defensive midfielders. Put Haring or Halliday or both in front of them and they will have far more protection.

That was possibly our biggest issue last season. Midfield was soft as shite.

Haring. Halliday. Fixed.

So. Who's doing the next match thread?

:greggy:

I said Hearts by 1 goal...

Edited by Barack
will-i-am-a-jambo
15 hours ago, daveyhmfc said:

Lol who is Gary Birkie? I'm assuming he's a member of the Dundee board?

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can’t beat a nice bit of Schadenfreude. 

Hopefully this is but the first helping - one 6 2 thrashing isn’t sufficient recompense for Nelms shoddy behaviour.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Hopefully this is but the first helping - one 6 2 thrashing isn’t sufficient recompense for Nelms shoddy behaviour.

No, it’s a start though. 😎

10 hours ago, TheBigO said:

That was possibly our biggest issue last season. Midfield was soft as shite.

Haring. Halliday. Fixed.

Its a nice thought but I don’t think there will be any need to have both them on the park at the same time. Maybe in the semi final (although Hibs centre mids certainly don’t strike fear into anyone) but in our run of the mill games one of them would have no one to mark. Even on Friday 4-2-3-1 quickly became 4-1-4-1.

It’s a good problem for Robbie to have. Haring and Halliday the more defensive, Lee and Irvine the more attacking. Also excited to see what young McGill can add this season. 

8 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Its a nice thought but I don’t think there will be any need to have both them on the park at the same time. Maybe in the semi final (although Hibs centre mids certainly don’t strike fear into anyone) but in our run of the mill games one of them would have no one to mark. Even on Friday 4-2-3-1 quickly became 4-1-4-1.

It’s a good problem for Robbie to have. Haring and Halliday the more defensive, Lee and Irvine the more attacking. Also excited to see what young McGill can add this season. 

Whilst both of them can put in a tackle I don't really see them as holding players, I think if both played together they could take turns getting in to the box

24 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Whilst both of them can put in a tackle I don't really see them as holding players, I think if both played together they could take turns getting in to the box

Big Peter is most definitely a holding midfielder but I get what you mean. He’s not just a daft clogger like the boy Gogic over the road, he can actually play too. I just think if one of our 2 midfielders is going to be mostly in the opposition half anyway then Robbie will want one of the more technical players in there too (Irving or Lee). I wouldn’t be surprised if the personnel changed in these positions on a game to game basis. 

colinmaroon

Loved this from Dundee Courier:

The feeling for Dees during the build-up to a first Championship fixture in 220 days might have been something like a child counting down the days till Christmas so they could finally open the latest must-have toy that had been sitting under the tree for so long.

When the big day came, however, they’d have found some bad men dressed in maroon had stolen all the presents, beaten up Santa and left something unpleasant on the carpet.

That’s not to diminish the quality of the finishing from a jubilant Jambos side as they netted six of their nine shots on target, some of the goals superb.

Edited by colinmaroon

Apropos of nothing in particular, dentist for me in 3 hours for an extraction.  Huge big broken tooth.  Won't be easy.

This is where being a Jambo really pays off.  I'll ask myself "would you rather be here or be a Hibs supporter". I'll also be thinking about that 5th goal. Dundee just beginning to suffer for their treachery.  Interestingly, West Ham got an even better one just a day later.  Gosl of the season contenders.

Before you know it, I'll be handing over $1,500,000 and it will be consigned to history.  

10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Apropos of nothing in particular, dentist for me in 3 hours for an extraction.  Huge big broken tooth.  Won't be easy.

This is where being a Jambo really pays off.  I'll ask myself "would you rather be here or be a Hibs supporter". I'll also be thinking about that 5th goal. Dundee just beginning to suffer for their treachery.  Interestingly, West Ham got an even better one just a day later.  Gosl of the season contenders.

Before you know it, I'll be handing over $1,500,000 and it will be consigned to history.  

Tooth gone, pain gone, numbness gone, life savings gone.

Still a Jambo.

moonraker
On 17/10/2020 at 12:52, Doc Rob said:

If we do that then he will be within his rights to insist we pay it out in full. He might agree to an early ‘Mutual agreement’ release where we pay part of it, but he isn’t obliged to. Depends on how much he wants to play football.

If we’re going to have to pay him anyway then we may as well keep him around in case of injuries. The best solution would be for him to go out on loan to someone who will pay his wage (like Lee did) but I don’t see there being a big queue of suitors. I still wonder how he played for Cardiff. Didn’t the fans there actually think he was OK?

Couple of Cardiff fans in my Vets football team,  One told me , "He's OK he will do a job for you" ( not exactly a ringing endorsement)

The other said," He is crap."

Edited by moonraker
Dallas Green
14 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Loved this from Dundee Courier:

The feeling for Dees during the build-up to a first Championship fixture in 220 days might have been something like a child counting down the days till Christmas so they could finally open the latest must-have toy that had been sitting under the tree for so long.

When the big day came, however, they’d have found some bad men dressed in maroon had stolen all the presents, beaten up Santa and left something unpleasant on the carpet.

That’s not to diminish the quality of the finishing from a jubilant Jambos side as they netted six of their nine shots on target, some of the goals superb.

:pleasing: