Perry kitchen

jager man

Watching LA galaxy tonight and Perry Kitchen looking very good in defensive midfield. At the time he wasn't one of my favourites but **** me he would have done a job for us last season.  Another one like Djoum who the fans and management underestimated 

3 minutes ago, jager man said:

Watching LA galaxy tonight and Perry Kitchen looking very good in defensive midfield. At the time he wasn't one of my favourites but **** me he would have done a job for us last season.  Another one like Djoum who the fans and management underestimated 

Not for me mate. Bang average

Just now, The Fish said:

Not for me mate. Bang average

Thought the same at the time but still only 28. Playing well for galaxy in the sitting position. Something we were absolutely p*sh at last season. 

Just flicked to my newly acquired premier sports! Is it the recording of the portland game? Losing 2-5? Oops 3-5. Doesn't sound a great advert for a defensive midfielder. Expected more from him. 

Byyy The Light

Looked like he was running on sand. My overriding memory was him getting put through on goal and just about dislocating his neck to turn and see who was supporting him instead of attacking.

Not the kind of player I like. A defensive midfielder doesn’t have to play negatively.

I witnessed Kitchen refuse the ball from a throw in while in plenty space. He was captain at the time. That's how I'll always remember him. 

I remember reading on here that like Tziolis, he started out brilliantly but very quickly appeared to lose interest.

I’ve never seen a player point as much as him without doing anything effective for the team. Could barely tackle, hardly ever dribbled or had a shot at goal - just passed the ball sideways. 

Kitchen was far from awful. He’s was extremely defensive and lacked creativity but offered a lot of assurances for winning the ball back. It’s something Cathro should have factored into his team instead of chasing some ideal we couldn’t afford to implement. 

Oh and he was good at pointing

The worst thing about Perry Kitchen was the horrendous captain America T shirts the club brought out , very average player.

Tokyo Drifter
10 hours ago, jager man said:

When he was good he was excellent, he just wasn't good very often. That's my memory of him. Inconsistent.

11 hours ago, jager man said:

Thought he was bang average and over rated. He was with us long enough to make an impact. Squaddie at best....

3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

The worst thing about Perry Kitchen was the horrendous captain America T shirts the club brought out , very average player.

No....that was our club cashing in. Anybody actually buy one.....?

3 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Thought he was bang average and over rated. He was with us long enough to make an impact. Squaddie at best....

Was he not an integral part of the squad that Robbie had in 2nd place in the Premier League?

Rank alongside Bjorn Johnsen in players who had their Hearts careers destroyed by Cathro.

A_A wehatethehibs

Certainly better than subsequent shockingly bad central midfielders Callachan, Edwards, Bozanic, Lee, Damour, Whelan, Clare etc 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Certainly better than subsequent shockingly bad central midfielders Callachan, Edwards, Bozanic, Lee, Damour, Whelan, Clare etc 

Although Robbie would certainly have got more out of these players than Levein or Stendel did.

I still struggle with the notion of players like Whelan and Berra suddenly becoming bad eggs!!

I quite liked him, always gave 100% and would have done a decent job with better players around him. 

Compared to some of the absolute wage thiefs we've had over the last few years, he wouldn't even make it into my top 20.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I remember he had a couple of great performances at Tynecastle against the ugly sisters but they were the exception to the rule to a large extent. As others have said he had a tendency to pass backwards to a defense who were not the most comfortable on the ball and a lot of momentum was lost on those occasions. If you compare him with Haring in the same position now you see a player in PH who looks to play the ball in front of the wide players, take the ball for a run into space or look to thread a pass through the middle. If only Kitchen had had the confidence to do that would have won over the doubters as he does have good basic skills as a footballer.

3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Was he not an integral part of the squad that Robbie had in 2nd place in the Premier League?

Rank alongside Bjorn Johnsen in players who had their Hearts careers destroyed by Cathro.

Ahhhhh.....the Cathro destruction bomb again.........!

13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I remember reading on here that like Tziolis, he started out brilliantly but very quickly appeared to lose interest.

That was a regular thing with the majority of the signings by the DoF or manager over the last 4 years. So many started off fine and fell away within (usually) three months. Mind you, if Levein's "philosophy" and style of football he wanted was anything to go by then it was no wonder. Plenty others after Kitchen fell into the same trap, mundaneness, looking bored and uninterested. Kitchen was around at the start of Neilson's tactical changes from attacking sides to tippy-tappy side-wards football. Cathro took the brunt of it once he left. Then Levein……...well, we know the rest.

This place loved Kitchen, and were clamouring for him the be Captian. He was then given the armband, his form plummeted, and then he was hated on here.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

That was a regular thing with the majority of the signings by the DoF or manager over the last 4 years. So many started off fine and fell away within (usually) three months. Mind you, if Levein's "philosophy" and style of football he wanted was anything to go by then it was no wonder. Plenty others after Kitchen fell into the same trap, mundaneness, looking bored and uninterested. Kitchen was around at the start of Neilson's tactical changes from attacking sides to tippy-tappy side-wards football. Cathro took the brunt of it once he left. Then Levein……...well, we know the rest.

I could never work Kitchen out as he always seemed like he had the ability to contribute more than he did, but an alternative reading of that period under Neilson with Kitchen in the team was we lost just 7 league games, 3 against Celtic, between when Kitchen joined in March 2016 and when Neilson left in December 2017, never being below 3rd in the table the whole time.

Edited by ToqueJambo