Mcgill

steve123

The difference between him and Cochrane last night was he was involved more. 
there doesn’t seem to be anything negative about Cochrane. Willing to harry and tackle. Very composed in tight spaces, great passer (forward). Tries to get on a shot. 
I just think he fades out a bit too much.McGill just seemed to pop up more than him and we need everyone to be there 100% so at the moment, he’s shading Harry just a bit. 

Its good we are now talking positives on the football field and this lad is definately a positive.

I thought he played well in the games he has been involved in and this is a good season to bed him into the squad.

Imagine the scenes of him and Irvine running the midfield in years to come and both from our academy.  

Night and day from Maulary Martin and Loic Damour's of this world.

maroonlegions
18 hours ago, Rosewell Hearts said:

Scott Mcgill been with hearts since 9 year old top talent two footed great technical abilities and great core strength,great young talent and a big hearts supporter to.Has all the attributes to be a top footballer.

Has to play in the semi then..  FTH.

16 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

17 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Very true. Age is no barrier if your good enough. Mackay, Bowman, Robbo, McLaren, Naysmith, Ritchie, Hickey etc.

He is very very highly rated from within the club. Like the simplicity of his play. Keeps it nice and easy and is always on the look out for the ball.

if you watch his movement he always has his head up and is looking for space around the pitch.

Has the attributes - he could be the next rising star, no question 

RustyRightPeg

Late to the party but I'm very fond of this lad from what I've seen so far. First thought is always to take it on the turn and pass forward to wingers and strikers which is refreshing to see from a young centre midfielder.

Athletically he looks further on than Cochrane did at 16 with a nice rangey stride, looks like he can beat a man as well.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/revealed-gorgie-life-hearts-teenager-scott-mcgill-3032559

Revealed: The Gorgie life of Hearts teenager Scott McGill

A discernibly nervous look is etched across young Scott McGill’s face. Media duties are a new aspect of life since stepping into the Hearts first team and he isn’t used to interviews.

By Barry Anderson

Thursday, 12th November 2020, 7:00 am

Teenage midfielder Scott McGill is keen to play more for Hearts.

It is the only thing about the club that he isn’t familiar with. This is a proper Jambo in every sense of the word: Grew up in and around Gorgie, supported Hearts all his life, joined the Riccarton youth academy aged eight and is now in the senior side at 18.

As if McGill’s maroon-tinted background isn’t convincing enough, he also hails from the very street where a certain Gary Mackay was raised. Teenagers will often use the cliché ‘living the dream’ after a first-team breakthrough but in this case it is entirely applicable.

As he relaxes, conversation flows and McGill begins to explain what playing for Hearts means to him and his family. The midfielder has made three Betfred Cup appearances under manager Robbie Neilson – the latest at East Fife on Tuesday night – and is understandably elated.

‘Dream come true’

He feels part of the bricks and mortar. “Yes, 100 per cent. I’m a Hearts fan and my family live in Gorgie so to play in the first team is amazing,” he told the Evening News.

"We stay just at the end of Gorgie at the wee pub. I’ve stayed there my whole life. Training is just 15 minutes up the road. It’s just a dream come true.

"I’ve been at Hearts since I was about eight years old. I came all the way up through the academy and played in all the age-groups. To get my chance in the first team now is brilliant.”

Learning curve

The requirements of a first-team midfielder are demanding. Positioning, showing for the ball, retaining possession, tracking midfield runners and game-management are being drilled into him. He willingly takes the advice on board.

At one point during Tuesday’s second half, a message from the Hearts technical area echoed around Bayview: “Tell Scott McGill that’s not good enough.”

Other youngsters may have crumbled but such comments are made to test players’ mettle. This one calmly continued his business.

"You learn about how to manage the game,” said McGill. “We were 2-0 up inside five minutes on Tuesday and you need to manage a situation like that. You have to keep the ball and do the simple stuff.

“I’ve really enjoyed it because it’s been a great experience. I’m playing with really experienced players like Steven Naismith. He is really good with the young boys, helping get them through the game, telling them to keep it simple and not do anything stupid.

"He’s really good to have around and Christophe Berra is another really big influence. I look up to Olly Lee just now. He really helps me in training and during games he talks me through it. He’s been great with me.

"The gaffer has given me the opportunity to start and show what I can do. I want to keep impressing in training and, when he gives me an opportunity to start, I want to prove myself and take it.

"Hopefully I can get more game time during the season. I just keep the ball and try to keep things simple – keep it moving and try to play forward passes.

“Growing up, I always loved playing against Hibs. I’ve always loved the Edinburgh derby, as a player and a fan. It’s the atmosphere which makes it special.”

Neilson’s verdict

Hearts want to develop academy graduates with that same sense of feeling for the place. Knowing the emotion attached to the maroon shirt is important at all levels, but particularly first-team.

One of Neilson’s first decisions when pre-season training began during the summer was to promote McGill to train with the first-team squad. He has since rejected loan offers for the player, although may choose to farm him out in January.

"When I came in I could see Scott was technically a good player with a good attitude. He has done really well,” explained the manager. “He came through the youth system here and I think it's important you have young players about who know what it's like to come through the academy.

"It's so important we have local lads emerging and aspiring to get into the team. Not just for themselves but for the fans and for the academy itself. Scott is a shining light for all of them.

"He's got good athleticism and physicality. I think you could see against East Fife that he's still a kid. He was playing against Aggy [Scott Agnew] the other night and Aggy is 33 – an experienced, lower-level midfielder.

"It was great for Scott to be out there for 90 minutes, having to dig it out at the end, make tackles and things like that. We are using these Betfred games to qualify for the next round but also to get some of these kids an opportunity.”

Why loan didn’t happen

A path taken by established professionals like Berra, Craig Gordon and Jamie Walker is now being followed by the next generation. Patience is key but McGill forced himself into the reckoning.

"I think Scott is still a wee bit away from being a regular with the first team,” said Neilson. “We had the opportunity to send him out on loan in the last transfer window, but we thought it would be better for him to stay with the first team and train every day.

"He is getting a bit of game time here, so we will look at the January window and see if we can put him somewhere he will play every week.

"I know it's Gorgie he's from and he's a great kid. He wants to do well and he's been working hard. He's getting an opportunity now so it's up to him to go and grasp it."

Gordon Ramsay
54 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/revealed-gorgie-life-hearts-teenager-scott-mcgill-3032559

Revealed: The Gorgie life of Hearts teenager Scott McGill

A discernibly nervous look is etched across young Scott McGill’s face. Media duties are a new aspect of life since stepping into the Hearts first team and he isn’t used to interviews.

By Barry Anderson

Thursday, 12th November 2020, 7:00 am

Teenage midfielder Scott McGill is keen to play more for Hearts.

It is the only thing about the club that he isn’t familiar with. This is a proper Jambo in every sense of the word: Grew up in and around Gorgie, supported Hearts all his life, joined the Riccarton youth academy aged eight and is now in the senior side at 18.

As if McGill’s maroon-tinted background isn’t convincing enough, he also hails from the very street where a certain Gary Mackay was raised. Teenagers will often use the cliché ‘living the dream’ after a first-team breakthrough but in this case it is entirely applicable.

As he relaxes, conversation flows and McGill begins to explain what playing for Hearts means to him and his family. The midfielder has made three Betfred Cup appearances under manager Robbie Neilson – the latest at East Fife on Tuesday night – and is understandably elated.

‘Dream come true’

He feels part of the bricks and mortar. “Yes, 100 per cent. I’m a Hearts fan and my family live in Gorgie so to play in the first team is amazing,” he told the Evening News.

"We stay just at the end of Gorgie at the wee pub. I’ve stayed there my whole life. Training is just 15 minutes up the road. It’s just a dream come true.

"I’ve been at Hearts since I was about eight years old. I came all the way up through the academy and played in all the age-groups. To get my chance in the first team now is brilliant.”

Learning curve

The requirements of a first-team midfielder are demanding. Positioning, showing for the ball, retaining possession, tracking midfield runners and game-management are being drilled into him. He willingly takes the advice on board.

At one point during Tuesday’s second half, a message from the Hearts technical area echoed around Bayview: “Tell Scott McGill that’s not good enough.”

Other youngsters may have crumbled but such comments are made to test players’ mettle. This one calmly continued his business.

"You learn about how to manage the game,” said McGill. “We were 2-0 up inside five minutes on Tuesday and you need to manage a situation like that. You have to keep the ball and do the simple stuff.

“I’ve really enjoyed it because it’s been a great experience. I’m playing with really experienced players like Steven Naismith. He is really good with the young boys, helping get them through the game, telling them to keep it simple and not do anything stupid.

"He’s really good to have around and Christophe Berra is another really big influence. I look up to Olly Lee just now. He really helps me in training and during games he talks me through it. He’s been great with me.

"The gaffer has given me the opportunity to start and show what I can do. I want to keep impressing in training and, when he gives me an opportunity to start, I want to prove myself and take it.

"Hopefully I can get more game time during the season. I just keep the ball and try to keep things simple – keep it moving and try to play forward passes.

“Growing up, I always loved playing against Hibs. I’ve always loved the Edinburgh derby, as a player and a fan. It’s the atmosphere which makes it special.”

Neilson’s verdict

Hearts want to develop academy graduates with that same sense of feeling for the place. Knowing the emotion attached to the maroon shirt is important at all levels, but particularly first-team.

One of Neilson’s first decisions when pre-season training began during the summer was to promote McGill to train with the first-team squad. He has since rejected loan offers for the player, although may choose to farm him out in January.

"When I came in I could see Scott was technically a good player with a good attitude. He has done really well,” explained the manager. “He came through the youth system here and I think it's important you have young players about who know what it's like to come through the academy.

"It's so important we have local lads emerging and aspiring to get into the team. Not just for themselves but for the fans and for the academy itself. Scott is a shining light for all of them.

"He's got good athleticism and physicality. I think you could see against East Fife that he's still a kid. He was playing against Aggy [Scott Agnew] the other night and Aggy is 33 – an experienced, lower-level midfielder.

"It was great for Scott to be out there for 90 minutes, having to dig it out at the end, make tackles and things like that. We are using these Betfred games to qualify for the next round but also to get some of these kids an opportunity.”

Why loan didn’t happen

A path taken by established professionals like Berra, Craig Gordon and Jamie Walker is now being followed by the next generation. Patience is key but McGill forced himself into the reckoning.

"I think Scott is still a wee bit away from being a regular with the first team,” said Neilson. “We had the opportunity to send him out on loan in the last transfer window, but we thought it would be better for him to stay with the first team and train every day.

"He is getting a bit of game time here, so we will look at the January window and see if we can put him somewhere he will play every week.

"I know it's Gorgie he's from and he's a great kid. He wants to do well and he's been working hard. He's getting an opportunity now so it's up to him to go and grasp it."

Good to hear. Was anonymous on Tuesday but looked OK in other games. See how he goes. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Young player will be inconsistent. 

This. He's only 18, l'm actually pretty impressed with him so far anyway. I think its a shame in many way that Cochrane had as good a game as he had against Celtic. Its raised everyones expectations and he's still just a teenager. I think Tony Watt really suffered with the goal against Barca too. Like, thats his career pretty much. 

Pleased to see the laddie is a Jambo too, alongside Irving :D 

I'm not for a moment giving Levein credit but it does appear like the youth system is starting to bear fruit finally. Obviously its about how they make the step up but Irving is handling things well, and we'll hopefully see more of McGill this season too. A fair few out on loan too (Smith for example). Certainly looking like we could have a very youth orientated team in the next couple of years.