• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hmmm...i bow to the knowledge of Levein and Robbie but i just cannot see what he offers in any sense.

Read a while ago that in bounce games and training he’s the cats pyjamas but when it comes to actual games he doesn’t produce the goods. Sone sort of confidence issue or mental block maybe. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Read a while ago that in bounce games and training he’s the cats pyjamas but when it comes to actual games he doesn’t produce the goods. Sone sort of confidence issue or mental block maybe. 

Not much good to us then, is he 😄

Whatsthefuture
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not much good to us then, is he 😄

Possibly a good run in the Championship is what may just be what the lad needs

13 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hmmm...i bow to the knowledge of Levein and Robbie but i just cannot see what he offers in any sense.

He was regarded as a player with a big future not so long ago.  A Dundee supporter I know was gutted when they allowed him to leave.  I reckon that his confidence was shot to hell.  He seemed to do OK at Arbroath. Maybe he’ll do well with the right sort of service. Going to be interesting to see if he can step up to the mark this season. 

Just now, Deevers said:

He was regarded as a player with a big future not so long ago.  A Dundee supporter I know was gutted when they allowed him to leave.  I reckon that his confidence was shot to hell.  He seemed to do OK at Arbroath. Maybe he’ll do well with the right sort of service. Going to be interesting to see if he can step up to the mark this season. 

I think any unbiased observer can see he has ability . I accept we haven't seen much of it , though one game against rangers last season he was our best performer in [admittedly] a poor team To me that does strongly suggest a confidence problem .

Maybe we should have a think about best way to overcome that

took his goal well against Burnley after making a good run in to the box from a central position.

not much to base things on, but definitely looked more natural than coming in from the wing.

hopefully it was just a confidence thing (Levein seems to have had that impact on a number of players) and with the right coaching and man management he can kick on and show what he's capable of on the pitch rather than just in training.

seem to remember that team mates used to call him wizard because of what he was capable of doing. hopefully we'll get to see why 

Would love it if "Shighton" 🙄 proved a lot of people wrong by taking his chance in the Championship, then carrying it over to the Premiership. :lol:

2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Surely screaming abuse at the boy is the only way we can do that? According to Gary Locke you won't make it in pro football otherwise... read it on here.

30 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would agree on what he has shown so far for us however I remember seeing footage of him when he was at Dundee and he looked a good player.

He did seem to favour coming in from the left side which is a bit different to how Robbie wants him to play but this might just be his season if he can stay fit.

Edited by wavydavy

3 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

The fact that he is still at hearts is a disappointment. I don’t care what Robbie says. He’s ****ing shite. 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. As long as he is at the club we should utilise him as best we can.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

The fact that he is still at hearts is a disappointment. I don’t care what Robbie says. He’s ****ing shite. 

I tended to agree with this last few seasons however, we have only seen him in games. And it is clear that confidence is a real issue. His major injury at Dundee has obviously affected his confidence as it would. Imagine the shock and pain of the kind of injury he’d sustained. You’d never want to feel like that again. I totally sympathise coming back into the game and having that fear at the back of your mind that something like that could happen again. Robbie and his team mates have seen more of him than we have. We’ve based him off of games which is a good indication he wasn’t at our level. But if Robbie, a professional football manager, can see him as a key player, then I’d trust that he’s seen enough of him that he’ll do well. I am keeping myself of the ground and not getting carried away, but I think the lad deserves a real chance at a fresh start from having been thrown in by levein.  

The way I see it, he got 10/15 minutes here and there, not great if he was low on confidence plus the team wasn't doing too well.  He's had injuries, and seemed to get chucked in the team as soon as he was back - mind him playing up front at Ibrox after a spell out.  I actually thought he looked reasonably sharp, and was unlucky a couple of times with close efforts on goal.  

Obviously the stats speak for themselves, but I live in hope!  

I'll trust Robbie and McCulloch's judgement on this one I reckon. 

Lets make no mistake, the closed doors / partially closed doors of our stadium will do him a favour. Rather than have folk writing him off before he's really kicked a ball for us (lets be honest he hasn't had an easy time of it) I'm delighted the gaffer has gone to the paper backing him to the hill, I really am.

He is very good technical player and one who will be good for us this season. His movement is intelligent and when teams are camped in a low block in front of us. He'll find areas, like he did against Burnley and score goals. 

Belief please people, not apprehension.

17 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

On the understanding that there is a 5% chance we will have to eat our words, I agree.

Jamboscanbevicius

Like many, I just don't see it. But I hope I am wrong and he is a standout this season. He's certainly still young enough to develop under the right manager.

For the past two seasons, I have sat in line with the 18 yard line for the first time (Section A of the Wheatfield and T of the Main Stand). I've spent most of my Hearts watching life behind the goals.

This position gave me a better insight of our striker's movements and how reluctant our midfielders are to try a killer pass. The goal that Wighton scored v Burnley (dropped shoulder run between two defenders) is exactly the type of movement he and Washington made constantly in a game. We very rarely attempted the pass either through lack of confidence or ability from the midfielders. Wighton has lots of his game to improve on but we have also rarely played to his strengths.

Since I started watching Hearts in the late 90s, I often struggle to think of goals we have scored where we play a striker in one on one with the keeper. Beattie and Glen v. Hibs spring immediately to mind. We always seem to score more from wide areas, distance and set pieces. 

Will be interesting to see how he gets on playing as a striker and not stuck out wide.  He'll obviously be backup and it's his last chance, so it's up to him to grab it.  Hopefully he comes good.

44 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Perhaps he could speak to the person Sean Clare used as his transformation was terrific.

All roads lead to Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Maybe the skinhead will transform him. 

I thought for a moment Robbie had gone all skinhead :qqb001:

He’s a lucky laddie to her another chance. 
Personally, I would have freed him. 

If there is a player in there, Robbie will have his work cut out getting goals out of him. 
He looks a neat and tidy player, but had zero confidence in front of goal. 

39 minutes ago, john thomas said:

I think any unbiased observer can see he has ability . I accept we haven't seen much of it , though one game against rangers last season he was our best performer in [admittedly] a poor team To me that does strongly suggest a confidence problem .

Perhaps, that is precisely what Robbie is trying to do here.

Wighton is in a position where he would ordinarily be told he needs to scrap for his place, is behind the likes of Boyce and Naismith in the pecking order and if he doesn't take his chances when they come he'll be out next summer and his future is bleak.

But instead of the kick up the backside approach, Robbie probably recognises that his fragile confidence needs massaging, hence the "key figure" assurance.

We know he's third choice with everyone fit...just don't tell Wighton that. 

Edited by davie1980

12 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Perhaps he could speak to the person Sean Clare used as his transformation was terrific.

That would be admitting he's a "weakling" though, apparently. :(

41 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Correct, I think Neilson is simply trying to boost his confidence but he's absolute murder with a heart the size of a pea.

I watched him 4 or 5 times with Arbroath last season. Much as I'd love to be proved wrong, but even in that league he didn't show either the ability or more importantly the balls to suggest he's going to be a big player for us.

Byyy The Light

Didn't realise he was still only 23.  Last chance saloon for him, should be good enough for the Championship and if he's not then he'll be away anyway.

All down to him to prove himself now. Good luck to the guy.

I was listening to the This is My Story podcast and have to admit I am in agreement with much of the comments about the pre season so far and indeed Wighton. 

Injuries, tinkering with formations and too many no hopers (Wighton) still around. After years of negativity on the pitch I am really hoping and looking for a turn around but...

We are weak at CH, weak in the full back areas, have question marks over central midfield and have little upfront if the injury woes continue. 

Sorry maybe just having a negative week. 

wighton’s level is mid table Championship level. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Could be great in closed doors games this season then! 🤣

27 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

That should help

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Craig will likely benefit from not having fans in the stadium

Yip, freezes in front of the home support.

He'll be top scorer BCD. If wee Nicola lets the crowds back in we will need to sell him quick...

Hopefully he turns it around from what he has produced before. Can only assert that he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights every time I seen him. The game against Hibs at Tynie under the lights in the 0-0 was one that struck me that he looked absolutely terrified. 

26 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

He’s a lucky laddie to her another chance. 
Personally, I would have freed him. 

If there is a player in there, Robbie will have his work cut out getting goals out of him. 
He looks a neat and tidy player, but had zero confidence in front of goal. 

It costs money to ‘free’ a player. 

45 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

👍

Folk deluded cos he scored a couple of goals for Arbroath. 🤣

Oh but he's 'only' 23...

🤣

JKB is well known for its lack of player knowledge so it's a good sign he's getting pelters on here.

I'd also suggest double figures isn't really much of a target.

Edited by Bull's-eye

all about confidence - fix that and the lad has a chance. he may also thrive on a more attacking approach given Nielson has signed about a billion wingers - if they get tons of crosses into the box then it's Wighton's best chance to show what he could become. 

59 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Where im at. Clean slate, will always support the team and give benefit of the doubt but if he proves us wrong and turns into a player il be shocked. 

Kidd’s Boots

Like Olly Lee, it sounds like RN understand how use the individual approach when it comes to man management with Wighton, and not the like it or lump it attitude. I remember Wighton in the Rangers game and his touch and movement were great that day, again just glimpses of what there is. Agree with @plastic_bas about the killer pass from midfield. We have had runners like Washington when fit but not the service, Lee and Wighton might be the answer this season for that, and RN likes a high tempo as did DS. Lots of attacking options now, it’s about getting the right combination.