Old Firm in Edinburgh

Neil Dongcaster

Neil Dongcaster

Growing up in Edinburgh a good 30-40% of the people I knew were Celtic or Rangers fans. 

Nowadays I see the odd older person with an old firm ‘tap’ on but not many younger folk.

Are they all turning towards premier league teams instead?

5 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Growing up in Edinburgh a good 30-40% of the people I knew were Celtic or Rangers fans. 

Nowadays I see the odd older person with an old firm ‘tap’ on but not many younger folk.

I agree with you. That is how it seems to me too. Sadly there’s still too many of them out here in Midlothian, but I think they are now suffering from the same glory-hunting phenomenon as they profited from over us previously.

You read a lot of whinging weegie hack wanks greeting about the amount of EPL tops they see kids in Scotland wearing... totally missing the irony.

They must not be allowed access to the EPL gravy train.

Edited by Beast Boy

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I agree with you. That is how it seems to me too. Sadly there’s still too many of them out here in Midlothian, but I think they are now suffering from the same glory-hunting phenomenon as they profited from over us previously.

You read a lot of whinging weegie hack wanks greeting about the amount of EPL tops they see kids in Scotland wearing... totally missing the irony.

They must not be allowed access to the EPL gravy train.

If the Man U/Scouser plan goes through they are further away than ever from the "promised land"

When I was growing up they were very much a minority. Definitely present but most mates or other lads I knew around my scheme were mostly Hearts or Hibs. 

I think there was a growth spurt from the late 80s into the 90s. More on the Hun front with the Souness/Murray era.  

Maybe once I started working and experiencing the wider world I noticed more Old Firmers from Edinburgh.  It actually grates me more now than it did as a kid. 

Just now, The Treasurer said:

If the Man U/Scouser plan goes through they are further away than ever from the "promised land"

From a selfish point of view, I’d be happy about that. Celtic and Rangers based in and playing out of Scotland, with access to the EPL riches would kill the rest of Scottish Football as any kind of professional game with status.

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

When I was growing up they were very much a minority. Definitely present but most mates or other lads I knew around my scheme were mostly Hearts or Hibs. 

I think there was a growth spurt from the late 80s into the 90s. More on the Hun front with the Souness/Murray era.  

Maybe once I started working and experiencing the wider world I noticed more Old Firmers from Edinburgh.  It actually grates me more now than it did as a kid. 

Going to school in Midlothian it was mostly Jambo but , not far behind , Huns

Fair sprinkling of hibbys but can't remember any tims

Obviously Catholic school would have been different

Haringshairband
14 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Anyone from Edinburgh who supports either of the old firm is a w@nk. End of.

:spoton: and any football debates that they start become an irrelevance.

willie wallace

Vast majority Hearts and Hibs where I grew up although I a couple of Hibs fans at school changed to Celtic in 1967.

I never refer to them as the old firm as I think it gives them a respectability they do not deserve.

kingantti1874

Scottish football is on a fast track to being the new Irish football. 

Kids have an EPL first team and their SPFL team is an afterthought..

sad but true..  and why Scottish football should be looking to integrate with England.. the famous can’t compete with Bournemouth, Swansea City and the like 😂

21 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Loads of the manky scumbags scuttling around Penicuik. Although it may just seem that way because they are such filthy scaffs, they wear their taps everywhere they go, every day. 

The good people of Penicuik who have lived here longer than me assure me it’s mainly Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Scottish football is on a fast track to being the new Irish football. 

Kids have an EPL first team and their SPFL team is an afterthought..

sad but true..  and why Scottish football should be looking to integrate with England.. the famous can’t compete with Bournemouth, Swansea City and the like 😂

In a funny way though its not necessarily a bad thing.

If a kid chooses an EPL side as their glory hunting team, they are still open-minded to conversion if they come to Tynecastle for a match.  Nothing beats going to an actual match and we are very fortunate that Hearts generate an atmosphere and match day experience equivalent to what they would have witnessed on tv.

I would imagine its a much harder sell taking kids to Livingston, Hamilton or St Johnstone.

3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

In a funny way though its not necessarily a bad thing.

If a kid chooses an EPL side as their glory hunting team, they are still open-minded to conversion if they come to Tynecastle for a match.  Nothing beats going to an actual match and we are very fortunate that Hearts generate an atmosphere and match day experience equivalent to what they would have witnessed on tv.

I would imagine its a much harder sell taking kids to Livingston, Hamilton or St Johnstone.

This is very true. It’s far less damaging than them choosing one of the manky vermin clubs along the M8, who we actually have to compete against.

7 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Loads of the manky scumbags scuttling around Penicuik. Although it may just seem that way because they are such filthy scaffs, they wear their taps everywhere they go, every day. 

The good people of Penicuik who have lived here longer than me assure me it’s mainly Hearts. 

Penicuik was definitely a good Jambo town growing up in the 80s and 90s. Been away nearly 10 years now though, so not sure how the split is nowadays. 

I see a disappointing amount of vermin tops around Musselburgh though. 

But to stay on topic, seeing an East coaster supporting one of the weegie scum makes my heart sink. 

Riddley Walker

Anyone from Edinburgh with no family connection to Glasgow who supports either of the Old Firm should be ignored and subsequently euthanised.

Just now, Neil Dongcaster said:

Yip. It's fashionable to do so.

I posted about this recently. (Can't remember which thread...possibly the one about the Premiership in England)

Back in the 80s when Souness arrived there was a sudden surge in Rankgers tops on show. Then Ferus McCann turned up at Parkhead and there was a lot of Smeltic tops on the go. Into the 00s and Man Utd were the go to club for the plastic fan. Then it was the turn of Chelsea. In more recent years Man City tops are the latest fashion and I've seen a few more Liverpool tops creeping back in style as they were in the 80s before Souness.

In one of my locals (mostly Hearts fans) I have two Chelsea, one Liverpool, one Arsenal, two Man City's and one Hibby who's a Man Utd "fan" that I've drank with over the years. Some don't even go to Tynie anymore and would rather watch some plastic Premiership game instead. Sensible ones like myself and a few others are Hearts only. Some of the other pub-goers get all excited about these clubs (not sure if they're "fans" or just watch games). The talk is mostly slagging each others "team" off in the Premiership. Rather ridiculous and actually boring. They probably even watch Champions League! So yes, plastic football for plastic fans is all the rage these days.

54 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Absolutely.  

As an aside, I worked with a bloke from Kirkcaldy who, according to himself, was a ‘staunch Bluenose’.  :facepalm:

Just now, Beast Boy said:

They wear them on holiday all the time too. From the plane straight to the pub or beach and the same throughout their holiday. I tell you,, yellow arm-pitted tops are not a nice sight for anybody to look at.

This sort of shite happens here too.

There are an incredible amount of ‘fans’ of Marseille and PSG who have never set foot in Marseille or Paris.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Maybe these person's have parents from Glasgow that support one of those team's and has influenced their decision and bought them a '' tap " to wear 6 days out of 7 and have a special one that stays stuck on their backs for 14 days on holiday 

Just about anybody I've known who's "supported" Celtic now follows Hibs or at least attends their more appealing fixtures while still claiming to support Celtic. The cousins chat we get thrown at us annoys me for that very reason. 

Bazzas right boot

Celtic and rangers are more than football, that is Why they infest every city. 

Many see rangers as a way to be a true brit, love the Queen and hate things not British, be orange. 

On the other hand, many celtic fans see celtic as the underdog, the rebellious few ready to take on the ruthless brittish empire. Being fake Irish or Catholic. 

Both are a shit stain on Scotland but unfortunately their hatred seeps though every fabric of society and football.

Both are cretinous filth. 

Diadora Van Basten

I think a lot of areas especially mining communities around Edinburgh had an influx of Glaswegians when they cleared the Gorbals and these areas have a lot of Old Firm fans. 

Mid Calder Jambo

A pal at school in Edinburgh (late 60's early 70's) stayed just off Easter Road was a big Rangers fan.  Saw him about 6 or 7 years ago at a school reunion and I said to him "you still upporting the Huns" and the reply came back "no I have supported H15b5 for years".  I just shook my head. Mostly at my end of town if they weren't Hearts or H15b5, they were Celtic strangely enough.

Sandy Clark explains it well in his book. The Big team and wee team shite from the west. A phenomenon that eventually leads to them just giving up on their wee team and sticking with their big team of the Huns or Tims. 

SomethingAboutObua

Worked at the Centre in Livi the other week, in terms of football merch worn from most I saw to least-

1st- was far and away Rangers stuff, tops, tracksuits, face masks, jumpers, scarves, union jack face masks and scarves and hats as well etc worn by men and women of all ages. Not even close the combined number of Hearts and Celtic stuff to Rangers fans there.

Joint 2nd- Hearts stuff worn by men and boys, no teenagers wearing it, Celtic stuff mostly by wee boys and teenagers, some adults although Celtic have the shop there

3rd- Not a lot but visible enough was Hibs stuff, mostly teenagers, no adults

4th- English teams and for some reason PSG tops. This was the teams most kids were wearing and among teens far more than Hearts, Hibs and Livi stuff in that age group

The rest- 2 Livi face masks, one guy who was clearly a coach for Livingston in tracksuit top and one guy with an Alloa tracksuit top and Livingston face mask?,  plus couple of  Aberdeen fans

So yeah, among older fans pretty much as you'd expect, but the SPL/SFA's assumption in the 90s and 00s that boys would just follow their dads team and not marketing or engage young people beyond  "WE HAVE THE OLD FIRM(on Sky though, tough shit if you don't subscribe) has worked wonders on attracting young people as expected. SPFL's not much better at that now either sadly.

7 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

A pal at school in Edinburgh (late 60's early 70's) stayed just off Easter Road was a big Rangers fan.  Saw him about 6 or 7 years ago at a school reunion and I said to him "you still upporting the Huns" and the reply came back "no I have supported H15b5 for years".  I just shook my head. Mostly at my end of town if they weren't Hearts or H15b5, they were Celtic strangely enough.

I remember talking to an older guy down south, he was Scottish but had lived in England for many years. Anyway he was a hun, no surprise but then he said he was born in leith. I asked why he didn’t support Hearts/Hibs and he said oh I think you know why.

i thought WTF are you talking about. Turns out he was a disgusting bigot, hated foreigners/immigrants etc etc.

so in the end I did know why.

Horrible man. Horrible fans.

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Same for me.

1 hour ago, andyscott82 said:

Penicuik was definitely a good Jambo town growing up in the 80s and 90s. Been away nearly 10 years now though, so not sure how the split is nowadays. 

I see a disappointing amount of vermin tops around Musselburgh though. 

But to stay on topic, seeing an East coaster supporting one of the weegie scum makes my heart sink. 

Penicuik is still mainly jambo. I've lived here all my 66 years. Obviously as it grows in size more incomers appear with various affiliations. The old firm aspect goes back to my early childhood when lots of folk from Lanarkshire mainly came through to work at Bilston Glen. Their descendants are still around. Most don't go to games. Stacks of jambos DO.

1 minute ago, TorinoJambo said:

Penicuik is still mainly jambo. I've lived here all my 66 years. Obviously as it grows in size more incomers appear with various affiliations. The old firm aspect goes back to my early childhood when lots of folk from Lanarkshire mainly came through to work at Bilston Glen. Their descendants are still around. Most don't go to games. Stacks of jambos DO.

The irony being those Lanarkshire OF supporters probably abandoned Hamilton, Airdrie and Motherwell etc before they moved through here.

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

I went to school in Midlothian as well and always felt it was almost 50% Hearts, and the rest split fairly evenly between Hibs and Rangers with the odd random like Dunfermline for family reasons. Virtually no Celtic at all however now it's rife with them, far more than Rangers. Don't think it's a coincidence that Celtic were bang average when I was a kid with Rangers winning everything. And as you mentioned there is a Catholic school so they probably had the inverse. 

Always a laugh finding out if any of them have ever been to a live game at their team of choice. I worked next to a fanatical Celtic fan, t shirts, tattoos, the whole nine yards. He got invited to a Celtic European game by a supplier and seemed more excited than a person should be about a freebie. Spoke to one of the guys in his department and it turns out it was first game. The fud was in his late thirties. The same guy who slagged me off for supporting a crap team. Apparently one game in over 30 years makes you a better supporter than a season ticket. 

I remember when the Scottish Cup used to get a good build up even in the earlier rounds. Clydebank were still around at the time, and a Premier league club, yet parked all along the length of their Kilbowie Park ground were dozens of coaches, all waiting on fans going to Parkhead. The Clydebank owner/chairman (Jack Steedman i think was his name, not sure) was getting interviewed outside his ground and was just about in tears looking at all the coaches that were heading for Parkhead while a small line of people stood at a turnstile to pay to get in Kilbowie. Glory-hunting has always been the way for those two disgusting and dated institutions.

airdriejambo3
23 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

The irony being those Lanarkshire OF supporters probably abandoned Hamilton, Airdrie and Motherwell etc before they moved through here.

I've stayed in Airdrie for over 13 years and I have seen Airdrie merch on less than 10 occasions, when I first moved here there was a 50/50 split in visable OF stanks then almost all the Rangers fans dissappeared and its became infested with green and white dirty hooped tops.

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

:spoton:

See if I meet someone new from Edinburgh or the lothians and they reveal their old firm sympathies you just know they lack a free thinking brain. 

At least have the dignity to be embarrassed. 

29 minutes ago, airdriejambo3 said:

I've stayed in Airdrie for over 13 years and I have seen Airdrie merch on less than 10 occasions, when I first moved here there was a 50/50 split in visable OF stanks then almost all the Rangers fans dissappeared and its became infested with green and white dirty hooped tops.

Sandy Clark tells the story in his book. He and everyone he knew from the area (and others out that way) has a big team and a wee team. He was Airdrie and Rangers. Problem is that over the years the kids born to those supporters tend to just drop their Dad’s wee team and follow the big one only. Sad really.

6 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Sandy Clark tells the story in his book. He and everyone he knew from the area (and others out that way) has a big team and a wee team. He was Airdrie and Rangers. Problem is that over the years the kids born to those supporters tend to just drop their Dad’s wee team and follow the big one only. Sad really.

A big team and a wee team.

Pathetic excuses of glory hunting vermin. 

Just now, indianajones said:

A big team and a wee team.

Pathetic excuses of glory hunting vermin. 

Sadly the last few games I’ve been to that I had to take a train, we are not immune to it ourselves. Edinburgh Hun teens going to the game with their Hearts mates.

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Think you hit the nail on the head. My son and his pals, all 10, 11, 12 care more about their English team. My son has a valid argument as the other side of the family are all from Manchester,  United fans. He definitely can't be accused of glory hunting either, given he has barely seen them win a thing. Hard to argue with tbh, it's meant to be entertainment and the product up here is dire. 

2 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

The ones at my primary school were huns from Bellshill Burnbank Blantyre etc. The local Catholic primary trebled its numbers mid fifties with the Catholic miners kids. We were all mates though, some till this very day. I don't mind them as much as the glory seekers. Example of jambo- ness however. 2012 Final. 8 Hearts buses (3 from supporters club and 5 from pubs). Hibs 1 bus. 'Nuff said. 

Don't see why people get so worked up over what team other people support, who cares their choice. Hearts have a large support over in fife, bet all the fans of the shitty teams over there will say the same thing about them.

High school in the 90s for me, school in the West of Edinburgh, vast majority were Hearts and Hibs with us edging it. Sprinkling of old firm fans, more so Rangers who had Rangers supporting families. Tiny amount of Aberdeen and one we dick who was Dundee Utd. 

That was my year anyway

Edited by raider1874
Error