Draft beer machines @ home

graygo

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Gone now apparently, local shop for me from now on.

Pretty dissapointed with that actually. Although they have offered me a 10% discount code specific to me. With the bump in prices and now this, I'm considering switching to the SUB if I'm honest.

Also just noticed they are effectively getting rid of free delivery. Orders over £90 now instead of £50. With the discount code and beer tokens, I was usually around the £75 mark, so going to be almost as expensive as the pub now!

Edited by jambo89

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• Sooperstar

• Tott

• muldoon74

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worth keeping an eye on Amazon, keg of Hoegaarden at £30.90 with free delivery £3 less than BH, no delivery charge, no Yodel and no minimum order.

Japan Jambo
37 minutes ago, graygo said:

Gone now apparently, local shop for me from now on.

Just got the email, finishes at midnight tomorrow but they are offering 10% off 3 kegs while they decide what to do, a further kick in the nuts is that free delivery only on orders over £90.

I picked up a keg of Juliper in a Belgian discount supermarket and it ran me Euro 15.99 (got £5 back for the keg here too). In that context Beer Hawk are doing a bit of gouging price wise particularly with some of the stuff priced over £40... 

5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I picked up a keg of Juliper in a Belgian discount supermarket and it ran me Euro 15.99 (got £5 back for the keg here too). In that context Beer Hawk are doing a bit of gouging price wise particularly with some of the stuff priced over £40... 

Definitely, even with our high tax rates they are still making a pretty coin.

Edited by graygo

I think they've lost the plot.

UPDATE:

We've had an issue with the free delivery threshold. For now we have reverted it back to £50.

To explain, the £90 threshold will be before any discount has been applied. So, if you spent £95 and got a £9.50 (10%) discount you would still get free delivery, even though the cart total would be below £90.

Cheers,

Dan

hughesie27

Claim that the delivery fee from 50 to 90 won't impact the majority of their customers who buy over £90 per order. 

That'll be because they'll be using the discount code. Without that folk will go back to buying 1 or 2 kegs.

Makes the everage pint at home around £3.80 now if your order is over £90. They increased the price of the kegs in March and now this further increase (effectively 5% per keg) is the last straw. Think I'll go back to bottles.

4 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Makes the everage pint at home around £3.80 now if your order is over £90. They increased the price of the kegs in March and now this further increase (effectively 5% per keg) is the last straw. Think I'll go back to bottles.

Yea, pretty steep.

As you know I have a sub and my latest order, with free delivery works out at £2.64 for 28 pints. And it's all quality beer !

That's Beerwulf BTW.

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yea, pretty steep.

As you know I have a sub and my latest order, with free delivery works out at £2.64 for 28 pints. And it's all quality beer !

That's Beerwulf BTW.

£2.64 for 28 pints?

You nearly had me there Boab. 😄

Ordered 3 kegs this morning after I got the recent email. Cashed in all my tokens and used 15% discount but with the price hikes, it may be my last order. 

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

£2.64 for 28 pints?

You nearly had me there Boab. 😄

😂
I could have worded that better.
£74 for 28 pints !
👍

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

They   have a right arse of this. but not £3.80 for a pint.

Even if your order was a  £100,tenner discount,£15 back on kegs .

Total would be £75  divided by 31.5 pints is £2.38 ish.

3 minutes ago, Tott said:

They   have a right arse of this. but not £3.80 for a pint.

Even if your order was a  £100,tenner discount,£15 back on kegs .

Total would be £75  divided by 31.5 pints is £2.38 ish.

I took it as 8 pints per keg, but to be fair, the average is around 9.5. I know it is 6 litres (shopuld be 10.5), but when do you ever really get that many out of it.

Also you need to add £5 for delivery, so would be £80 as the new rate is £90 for free delivery. As I understand it, you will still get free delivery if your order is under £90 with the discount code, but not using the tokens (as that takes the total balance to under £90)

hughesie27
6 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I took it as 8 pints per keg, but to be fair, the average is around 9.5. I know it is 6 litres (shopuld be 10.5), but when do you ever really get that many out of it.

Think you have a leaky PD if it's defying the laws of physics.

13 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Think you have a leaky PD if it's defying the laws of physics.

Must be, as I never get exactly 10.5 pints each time.

heartgarfunkel
6 hours ago, cuthy2k said:

Ordered 3 kegs this morning after I got the recent email. Cashed in all my tokens and used 15% discount but with the price hikes, it may be my last order. 

Same - will get the Sub down from the attic.  No 10% offer for me either, Beerhawk ***** have made a fortune out of me the last 4 years, they can **** off.  Empties will go back to a local seller and will pick and choose kegs on Amazon or local shops.

I was going to treat myself to a pd for my birthday next month but with the lack of discounts etc I don't think it's worth it now tbh.

I'll stick to the sub. Still loads to try beer wise and most available in local shops (day to day etc).. 

Had Amstel at the weekend, nice enough but I was impatient and had it a bit too early as wasn't quite cold enough. I'll chill the next one properly to give it a chance..

Got a Heineken and a Zipfer for the sub

Chilled heineken in freezer for an hour to make sure temp is right this time. 

Was worried it would be same as heineken cans or bottles but its a lot nicer. Smoother and very quaffable.. Good job I only got one of them. (Saving Zipfer for tomorrow night). 

• 2 weeks later...
Japan Jambo

On the Vocation right now - WOOOWWW, bloody good but packs a punch. Hopefully not needed 🙂 (About to watch the PNE game)

5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

On the Vocation right now - WOOOWWW, bloody good but packs a punch. Hopefully not needed 🙂 (About to watch the PNE game)

What Vocation one?

3 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Life and Death

Nice, Vocation are my favourite brewery just now, Roll With It is lovely if you can get it or Heart and Soul.

Japan Jambo
13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Nice, Vocation are my favourite brewery just now, Roll With It is lovely if you can get it or Heart and Soul.

thanks for the recommendations, will look out for them.

Just now, Japan Jambo said:

thanks for the recommendations, will look out for them.

I don't know if you like stouts but they do the best ones I've ever had.

Cruzcampo (red) tonight.

Was delivering in Blantyre, popped into a shop for some juice and remembered they have a keg room.

Went in for a nosey, hit immediately by the chilled air (basically it's a walk in fridge). Saw cruzcampo for £11.49 a torp so picked one up. 

5.6% of Spanish deliciousness. Toss up between it and zipfer for my fave. 

I forgot the juice. 

Edited by muldoon74

34 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Cruzcampo (red) tonight.

Was delivering in Blantyre, popped into a shop for some juice and remembered they have a keg room.

Went in for a nosey, hit immediately by the chilled air (basically it's a walk in fridge). Saw cruzcampo for £11.49 a torp so picked one up. 

I forgot the juice. 

Cruzcampo especiale very nice.

Unfortunately done now.

Surely the technology exist to make the sub machine thinner in body yet accommodate a 3litre keg/torp?.

That's mine, probably all sub owners, biggest gripe,.

Too dam small! 

Edited by muldoon74

37 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Cruzcampo (red) tonight.

I forgot the juice. 

Your van was still there when you left the shop?

3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Your van was still there when you left the shop?

Yes. Was parked in a certain place out the way of locals. 👍

Watched the game tonight and arsed 5 litres (not quite, a wee drop left) of proper cider that I picked up from a cider farm in Somerset, up yours Beerhawk!!

4 hours ago, Chaps said:

Appears Innes and Gunn is the next beer to come out l. Seen this on a PD group.

C6935184-54BB-40ED-9096-564138A44DAF.jpeg

Now that is a nice lager.

22 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

My favourite direct from Vocation is Love & Hate, there is an offer on their 12 cans today, works out at £2.56 a can, it is part of the Festival Life & Death (7 years) promo running from the 20th-27th July, the Life & Death 6.5% is only £2 a can and all orders over £40 free P&P.

Japan Jambo
20 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

That is an outstanding pint. One of my favourites

not sure this keg will make the weekend. I have no words....

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

not sure this keg will make the weekend. I have no words....

🤣I hear you, I'm on it right now and glad the machine is in the garage and not next door in the kitchen. Before I bought the PD I thought 10 pints, 30 days, two pints a week aye OK.

I've not had a keg that's lasted much more than a week.

3 hours ago, Jamdub said:

My favourite direct from Vocation is Love & Hate, there is an offer on their 12 cans today, works out at £2.56 a can, it is part of the Festival Life & Death (7 years) promo running from the 20th-27th July, the Life & Death 6.5% is only £2 a can and all orders over £40 free P&P.

I was in their place in Leeds a few weeks ago, 50 beers on draught,50😅

On 20/07/2022 at 21:10, muldoon74 said:

Cruzcampo (red) tonight.

I forgot the juice. 

£8.49 a torp on beerwulf just now for cruzcampo. They've a sale on lagers just now 

1 hour ago, fast_blood said:

£8.49 a torp on beerwulf just now for cruzcampo. They've a sale on lagers just now 

Is it not an 8 torp minimum otherwise you pay delivery which brings it up to "outside" prices? 

Cruzcampo was very nice, definitely felt the stronger alcohol content by the third pint... 

Trying to source the cruzcampo gran reserva, outside of Beerwulf as it's 6.4%.

Edited by muldoon74

Had 2 Amstel torps yesterday, was chilled to perfection but still didn't pour very well.. 🤔

Got 2 Heineken for tonight, chilled for an hour in freezer, pouring brilliantly. 

Beginning to think the Amstel is gassier or in something as my first Amstel a couple of weeks ago didn't pour well either. Seems to go flat quicker than Heineken or morreti (or any other torp I've had) aswell.. 

Anyone got any tips for the sub? Mine was free and third hand.. the little metal holder (for the plastic tube that goes into the nozzle) seems to stick so it keeps pouring if I don't push it with my thumb nail to shut it. 

Also noticed that there seems to be a leak from same area from the tubes themselves, where the "valve" meets the tube from the torp...

Any advise? 

Edit: Heineken going down a treat though! 

Edited by muldoon74
Additional info

il Duce McTarkin

Mrs McClaymore has amassed a robust stock for my return from work.

Looking forward to the Vocation Life & Death on draft. Only ever had the wee cans in the past.

IMG-20220726-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20220726-WA0015.jpg

Byyy The Light

Anybody know what’s involved with refilling kegs? I.e. could a local brewery do it fairly easily? Anybody asked the likes of Stewart or Edinburgh Beer Factory?

6 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Mrs McClaymore has amassed a robust stock for my return from work.

Looking forward to the Vocation Life & Death on draft. Only ever had the wee cans in the past.

IMG-20220726-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20220726-WA0015.jpg

Ohh that is filthy! I've not tried the goose yet, but life and death was lovely on the PD. Thinking of also getting a sub for the variety.

3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Ohh that is filthy! I've not tried the goose yet, but life and death was lovely on the PD. Thinking of also getting a sub for the variety.

Deals on subs are really good just now. (Although I'm sure you'll have done own homework).

On Beerwulf: machine plus 8 Heineken/morreti/ 4 of each; £154. 

1 minute ago, muldoon74 said:

Deals on subs are really good just now. (Although I'm sure you'll have done own homework).

On Beerwulf: machine plus 8 Heineken/morreti/ 4 of each; £154. 

Correction, 4 torps plus machine £149. 

8 plus machine £175. 👍