Is Naismith finished?

kimosavi

Just ask yourself would you rather have Naismith or alternative, Wighton in your team?

Give the guy some time. He's missed half of pre-season training and well short of match fitness. He'll stroll the championship if fit.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• CloustonHMFC

• Last Laff

• Vic Vespa

His peak is long gone and he's wynding down to retirement. If he had left in the summer I wouldn't have shed a tear. Regularly fails to produce for Hearts, when he's not propping up the injury list. If Killie had a grass pitch he would be back there instead of with us.

That said, when he is on point he makes a noticeable difference to the team and it would be daft to write off a player with his career just yet. 

34 minutes ago, Homme said:

Best player at the club by miles.

Exactly wait for semi he will be a man possessed, the OP is another Trumpet.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
21 minutes ago, Eno said:

Just ask yourself would you rather have Naismith or alternative, Wighton in your team?

Give the guy some time. He's missed half of pre-season training and well short of match fitness. He'll stroll the championship if fit.

When did he last play well?

vladisacoward

Hasn't kicked a ball since he done his knee against the filth at murrayfield. Not fit. Doesnt score goals. Spends his time worrying about others when there is very little coming from himself which is where his primary focus should lie. That said, he's got 50 ish caps for Scotland and was playing PL football not that long ago on 50k a week so if he can get fully fit, he's surely still got enough in him to make a difference in the Scottish championship. Besides, if its him or Wighton, its a no brainer even if he's unfit and only got one working knee.

Don’t think he’s finished but I do think his powers are waning. Also got to take in to account he’s coming back from another injury so will take a while to get back up to speed. 

Edited by Russ1977

Jambof3tornado

Nowhere near fit. Even further away from being match sharp. Not sure he doesnt need to sit deeper and simply make good passes to overlapping players.

We will look very different with boyce kingsley and smith back in.

Hopefully he will sharpen up because his first touch and control of the ball has been pretty poor in the last couple of games. 

Kinda sums up our signing policy over the last few years. A player who in flashes has shown it but is incredibly injury prone and clearly on the decline. His salary would be better invested in a younger player with a realistic chance of good sell on value.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

Kinda sums up our signing policy over the last few years. A player who in flashes has shown it but is incredibly injury prone and clearly on the decline. His salary would be better invested in a younger player with a realistic chance of good sell on value.

100%. He’s been a shite bag over the past 12 months.

Called it before the game. He hasn’t performed in months. Wighton was much better when he came on, he stretched the game running the channels.

2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Please Discuss 

We are in the Scottish Championship. I don’t think any footballer is finished at that level.

He's not been great, but he's also getting older, not had a full pre season and had 2 competitive appearances in 7 months.  He could easily just be needing time to build up a bit fitness and confidence, I'd be amazed if he wasn't a very important player this season.

Again, I feel the likes of Naismith and other strikers when they play still don’t get enough quality service over a season.

He may not be an out and out front man in his role but he’s still advanced. How often do we see the strikers able to run onto a ball, attack it from a decent distance? 

Naismith always seems to have to play with his back to the goals and do donkey work. I’m not excusing some of his quieter matches but we really need to see the midfield have far more influence along with the wingers/full backs getting up the park and combining, letting our central players get into spaces in the box. 

Not had a decent full back/midfield combination for years.  

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Again, I feel the likes of Naismith and other strikers when they play still don’t get enough quality service over a season.

He may not be an out and out front man in his role but he’s still advanced. How often do we see the strikers able to run onto a ball, attack it from a decent distance? 

Naismith always seems to have to play with his back to the goals and do donkey work. I’m not excusing some of his quieter matches but we really need to see the midfield have far more influence along with the wingers/full backs getting up the park and combining, letting our central players get into spaces in the box. 

Not had a decent full back/midfield combination for years.  

It’s a two way street, strikers have to stretch the game, make runs, draw defenders to them.. 

He's been gash for ages. His short passing and first touch is woeful. Less pointing/shouting with more product please naisy. 

Dread to think how much money has been wasted on him. 

5 year contract ffs😂 

'Time for him to earn his salary' is correct. 

1 hour ago, Marriott said:

Undecided. Not looking promising though. Pretty sure we would be able to get a better striker in for same or less money. Is Shankland paid more than Naismith ? 😆

No, Shankland won't be on more wages but are you going to stump up the £1mil+ transfer he would have cost?

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

It’s a two way street, strikers have to stretch the game, make runs, draw defenders to them.. 

I get that, but tbh mate, been more miffed with what’s been behind the strikers for the last few years. Punchless, not hard working enough and lacking tenacity, a willingness to run beyond people. I suppose that’s the way midfielders have went but I include the wide players too. 

It’s all safe, play in front of the opposition. I think Neilson will eventually get there. He needs to time to tweak the squad his way and he’s stunted in the market given the scenario we are in, football wise (championship)and economically. 

His job is to just get us up but along the way I hope he’s ramming in demands to play braver and bring more guts and guile.

For everyone saying punt him, the transfer window is shut and we need someone willing to pay out his contract. Its not easy as punt.

4 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

No, Shankland won't be on more wages but are you going to stump up the £1mil+ transfer he would have cost?

Fair point but I may have saved the million plus in wages Naismith will cost us for the next 3 years we are stuck with him, and people think he is over the hill now wait till he is 37 ....

2 minutes ago, Marriott said:

Fair point but I may have saved the million plus in wages Naismith will cost us for the next 3 years we are stuck with him, and people think he is over the hill now wait till he is 37 ....

You seriously reckon we're going to be paying Naismith over £1mil in 3 years? I highly doubt it. Probably closer to half that.

letsalldothebeattie

If going by today everyone of the outfield players is finished then by that logic. It was one of they days for us & Naisy as captain will be main focus when underperforming. He like us will get better. Some people just need to calm down 

9 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

You seriously reckon we're going to be paying Naismith over £1mil in 3 years? I highly doubt it. Probably closer to half that.

Who knows mate, happy to bow down to greater knowledge, I do remember it dragged on and on and eventually we pushed the boat out and Craig Levein was in charge ...

I think his injuries are now getting to the point where he can't play 90 mins every week however i believe he still has the quality to make an impact in games maybe just not over the 90 mins anymore. Time will tell if he can get fitter but imo He is a squad player now, That's why we need another quality striker.

I certainly don't want to rely on whighton to fire us out this league if boyce is away on international duty/injured.

I would have naisy coming on in the last 20/30 mins of a game and or rotated every second week. 

53 minutes ago, communist said:

He's been gash for ages. His short passing and first touch is woeful. Less pointing/shouting with more product please naisy. 

Dread to think how much money has been wasted on him. 

5 year contract ffs😂 

'Time for him to earn his salary' is correct. 

4 year deal.

He agreed to a 50% wage cut, so with Covid and demotion who knows what he's earning now.

55 minutes ago, Marriott said:

Luckily his contract runs out when he's 36.

That should cheer your weekend up a bit. 👍

Should have his minutes managed carefully by Robbie. Injuries are always going to be round the corner with him I think. Don't let him play anymore than an hour in diddy fixtures etc. 

CL gave him the long-term contract to ease him into coaching.

I think the captaincy was a mistake, as he was doing a lot of mentoring on the field anyway. Perhaps make Gordon skipper (Souttar would have been my choice), Naismith "Club captain," rather than team captain, and let him concentate on playing to his strengths.

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Nah.  He's struggling fitness wise though. 

Exactly. I think some fans think football players are like robots.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Diminishing returns for sure, however these games do seem to be an extension of pre season. 

Can he get motivated at this low level?

manaliveits105

First choice Scotland striker last year and deservedly so as international class unlike the vermin journeymen but oh aye he is finished now of course .

interloper alley this thread 

20 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Exactly. I think some fans think football players are like robots.

Especially footballers that aren't exactly spring chickens any longer.  Credit for Naisy even for playing two games in a short amount of time, one on the surface of yesterday to help the team out.

12 hours ago, 19052012 said:

He's no finished, he's only 34

To put it into Context, Robbo finished playing at 36 and finally left Hearts at 34.

To be honest i don't think any of the players have looked particularly good so far. We've played two non-Premier league teams, Inverness playing without a few of their main players (which is worrying) and Cowdenbeath which is a team we should get past very comfortably. There is a real lack of fitness throughout the squad, not just Naismith, plus he's had some injury issues. It will take him longer to get up to speed with the others who haven't been injured. For me, Walker is the only player that's got pass marks so far  but even then i still think he looks a bit off the pace. We have Raith on Tuesday night. It's another game to build fitness on. Neilson (and i understand why he's doing this) needs to stop rotating and work on who his first eleven are. All the players need game-time after such a long lay-off but the most important game comes on Friday night at Tynecastle against Dundee. I have to assume Neilson has an idea who his first pick will be for that one more than these Cup games. We really need to find a striker from somewhere, probably another defender to cover the loss of Souttar and Berra as well. It will also take a bit of time for all the new players to gel together so, with a mix of unfamiliarity within the squad plus a long lay-off, things are understandably taking longer to work. Having Smith and Boyce back will make it more difficult for Neilson to tinker as often. The problem for me is not sorting out another striker after the loss of Uche and Washington. It has definitely weakened the squad more than folk realise. Yes, Uche wasn't the best but against Championship clubs his strength would've taken the pressure off those behind him. By not replacing with another striker, it could well come back to haunt us throughout the campaign.

Playing him on plastic pitches is the 1st mistake Robbie is making. Anybody wo has any knee fitness issues is never going to give anything like 100% as they will be looking after themselves.all the time.  The same goes for Haring.  Keep them to grass until the get themselves up to speed fitness wise.